NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Joystiq -

A press release on Nintendo's Japanese website appears to confirm the company's next handheld console, temporarily named the "Nintendo 3DS," and said to include hardware and software that will enable "3D effects" without the need for special glasses. The console is stated to be backwards compatible with DS and DSi games and is expected to go on sale (in Japan, presumably) "during the fiscal year ending March 2011" -- so within the next year. The press release has no pictures or other information, and save for the fact that it appears as a file on Nintendo's website, there's no other official word about the new hardware.

There are a few dots to connect, however: 3D gaming is on the rise, and a few other companies have also experimented with head tracking as a way to implement 3D effects. Nintendo's own Satoru Iwata hasn't been impressed with 3D gaming in the past, but his issue is with the glasses, not the technology. "I have doubts whether people will be wearing glasses to play games at home," he said recently. We've also heard that the next handheld would have a "movement sensor" of some kind, so if Nintendo really has designed a head-tracking 3D solution, then maybe the console is ready to go. The press release, which you can read after the break in full, says we'll see more at E3, so stay tuned.

Rumours:

1) Two screens, with virtually no seam between them when open

2) Screens are higher resolution, but exact resolution is unknown

3) Powered by nVidia Tegra

4) Roughly as powerful as a Gamecube, and apparently similar to program for

5) Uses carts - believed to be same size as DS/DSi carts, only with different guts

6) Due out in 2010 in at least one territory

Edited by Retro_Link

If this is true then I'm actually quite excited. There's no way it'll be out this year though.

Very interesting.

Talks of a 3-D Joystick and forcefeedback asswell. Sounds pretty cool actually.

Next DS. So DS 2, just called the 3DS. Seems to be very different technically.

You had the hard news for breakfast, so how's about some less official, but still pretty robust, fodder for brunch? Asahi in Japan offers the first word on how the 3DS achieves its 3D-ness by suggesting that the new portable game machine with feature a parallax barrier LCD from Sharp. The tech has apparently already been deployed in a few cellphones over there and is described as "unsuitable" for large-screen TVs. This is corroborated by Nikkei, which suggests that the screens on the new device will be smaller than 4 inches diagonally, placing it closer to the DSi than the 4.2-inch DSi XL / LL. Other news from the latter source include so-called 3D control stick(s), though it's not entirely clear whether this'll be anything massively new or just a pair of analog nubs for us to push around. Either way, Nintendo is said to have secured patents for the new control methodology in Japan late last year. The Nikkei article also mentions improvements in WiFi transfers and battery life, as well as a new vibration function. Now that we've got all that out of the way, can someone please tell us if this thing has Tegra inside or not?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/nintendo-3ds-to-come-with-3d-control-stick-vibration-and-sha/

What I'm most interested in at the moment is what technology they're using for the 3D. Whatever they end up doing, it sounds promising at the moment, and with it being approximately equal in power to a gamecube, Its looking like it will end up being the most powerful handheld on the market.

Yeah, that is a very cool way to use the DSi's camera, but I hope the 3DS is much, much cleverer than that.

I think the choice to post that Dsi game video directly under NEW DS ANNOUNCEMENT on the main page is going to confuse readers into thinking that IS the new DS.

I think some of you are overstating the power of Tegra a bit. About the best thing I've seen on Tegra is Quake 3 with a good framerate and PGR on the Zune which isn't as good as some PSP games let alone Gamecube. Most of Tegra's qualities lie in low power package able to deliver HD videos.

Tegra 2 on the other hand should be a fair bit more powerful, and was shown fluidly running UE3.

Wall Street Journal

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told analysts in January that 3-D is "suitable" for gaming and that the company had interest in it, but expressed some doubts about whether everyone would want to wear glasses to play games in 3-D. The requirement of glasses to view 3-D images is often cited as a hurdle to the technology's widespread adoption.

"Nintendo has a track record of incorporating new technologies to make its products pretty interesting," said Jay Defibaugh, director of equity research at broker MF Global FXA Securities.

At the same analyst meeting, Mr. Iwata said Nintendo has been working on 3-D technology for years, secretly adding a feature into the GameCube, the predecessor to the Nintendo Wii, to display graphics separately for the right and left eye for the possibility of 3-D gaming. It was never introduced as a feature in the GameCube

Among all the potential applications of 3-D technology, videogames are placed at the top of the list because the graphics are already created in 3-D. What's more, videogame fans are considered more likely to spend for a new technology like 3-D.

Almost all 3-D technology available now requires either battery-operated or color-filtered glasses. Most glasses-free 3-D technology are prototypes that require the viewer to stand in one location and keep their head perfectly still.

While Nintendo's past track record with home game machines has been hit-or-miss, the company has always maintained a dominant position in hand-held gaming. Ever since it broke into the category with its original Game Boy portable game system in 1989, Nintendo has remained on top by appealing to its youth audience with game franchises such as Pokemon.

When the DS was released, it was considered a step forward for portable gaming because it came with two liquid-crystal-display screens, one of which was touch-sensitive. It hit the market at the same time as Sony's PlayStation Portable, a rival hand-held game machine, but Nintendo has sold twice as many DS units as Sony has sold PSP hand-helds. The PSP has sold about 60 million units.

The new 3DS comes at a time when existing DS sales are starting to slow.

Nintendo DS sales are expected to decline slightly this fiscal year from peak demand in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2009. The company is forecasting sales of 30 million units in the fiscal year ending March 31, down from last year's 31.2 million units.

Backlash has started: :laughing:

"Breaking news: Yet another Nintendo console that's impossible for anyone other than Nintendo to make money on." - James Mielke, producer at Q! Entertainment

Backwards comp means "RAM-based media" means "LOL, have fun making those big game experiences for little profit, dev/publishers!" - James Mielke, producer at Q! Entertainment

"Some sleuthing has revealed the 3DS's first year line-up: Super Mario 3D. Zelda 3D. Starfox 3D. Kirby 3DDD. Metroid 3D. Animal Crossing 3D."

"I predict massive lines on 3DS launch day, despite the fact that the (only) launch title will be Tinkle 3D: You Can't Stop Mr. Tinkle Pants." - James Mielke, producer at Q! Entertainment

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

ya im sure 2 screens could create a great illusion of 3d.

Can we expect gamecube level graphics I wonder...

Sonys John Koller:

Koller also questioned today's announcement of the Nintendo 3DS, saying he wasn't sure if there is a market for 3D handheld gaming with a younger audience.

"I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with 3D on a portable," he added. "Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it's an interesting move but one I'd like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. 8 and 9 year olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now."

I think some of you are overstating the power of Tegra a bit. About the best thing I've seen on Tegra is Quake 3 with a good framerate and PGR on the Zune which isn't as good as some PSP games let alone Gamecube. Most of Tegra's qualities lie in low power package able to deliver HD videos.

Tegra 2 on the other hand should be a fair bit more powerful, and was shown fluidly running UE3.

The first post has 2 SEPARATE rumours listed. One was it was using Tegra, another was that it would have Gamecube level power.

I am actually ecstatic about this! My mind is racing. If they pull it off properly, it will make all rival devices look prehistoric. I don't just mean the PSP, I mean the iPad, everything. If good 3D truly can be done on a screen with no need for glasses, it will revolutionise still image technology.

At the very least, we're bound to have a cracking new Zelda. Imagine Wind Waker/Spirit Tracks quality in 3D!!!

And as for the backlash, I think some people actually like being cynical and pessimistic. Maybe I'm naive, but Nintendo are on very good form at the moment, much better than when they launched the Wii.

I am really excited, this seems really cool. Can't wait for more info!

I think people need to bring their expectations back to reality. I doubt Nintendo invented the holy grail. Still excited though, within certain limits.

Sonys John Koller:

Koller also questioned today's announcement of the Nintendo 3DS, saying he wasn't sure if there is a market for 3D handheld gaming with a younger audience.

"I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with 3D on a portable," he added. "Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it's an interesting move but one I'd like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. 8 and 9 year olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now."

Let's save this one for when they roll out the inevitable clone :rolleyes:

"3D" is such a buzz-wordy fad at the mo that this could really take the market by storm. It might not be fair to tar the whole company with the same brush, but these comments seem incredibly short sighted. I suppose they've got to do something.

When Yokoi originally designed the Virtual Boy, he wanted coloured graphics and true polygon graphics. Nintendo however rushed it, and we ended up with the final VB.

I think that the 3DS will be a hundred times better than Yokoi wanted the original VB to be.

If the 3D graphics are accompanied by motion controls and an analogue stick, this might be pretty much the ultimate gaming console!

So I feel personally that having made the upgrade the DSi I still feel I havn't witnessed much that puts it to good use in terms of its new features. However I've started using DSiware more and there are some cracking titles out there. Still the camera hasn't been used much.

BUT this 3DS does interest me. I don't expect it to feature all of the features that have been banded around. I'm not saying they aren't all in development

It fascinates me how this technology could work and how it would truly set Nintendo above what the PSP and the Iphone is offering. People may deride it as gimmickly and that it will only have niche titles on it, however they said the same about the DS at first. If at all possible Nintendo should get this patented and copyrighted up to their arses so no one can remotely copy the tech behind it.

Digital Foundry is interesting read:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-intheory-nintendo3ds-blog-entry

If at all possible Nintendo should get this patented and copyrighted up to their arses so no one can remotely copy the tech behind it.

Like the Wii, the technology is already in use. So there won't really be any way to stop it getting copied.