NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Self Improvement

What are you doing/do you do to get harder, better, faster, stronger? Gym, learning a language, reading the latest scientific academic papers? If so what, why etc?

Just curious as I am currently reading a book entitled 'New Cultural Studies' which explores the state of cultural studies in the contemporary academic climate which I just randomly picked up from the library. Additionally I'm reading 'Acting for Animators' to try and get some background knowledge for my PG. And as well as this I'm dipping back into Japanese a bit and still have some Italian lingering around in my head (mostly insults courtesy of Razz).

As to the why, well its something to do to keep me busy. I think languages are important and I'd like to get around more when I'm older so hopefully they'll come in handy (I plan to look at others too).

I guess its always been in my nature not to just sit back and do nothing and just wondering if other people are the same.

Plus people keep moaning about the lack of different threads :heh:

I'm so fail when it comes to learning languages. I just don't seem to be able to do it.

I'm so fail when it comes to learning languages. I just don't seem to be able to do it.

Nor can I. Languages do not come naturally to me. I end up crying over conjugations. </reference>

But its entitled self improvement for a reason :heh:

But its entitled self improvement for a reason :heh:

Improvement doesn't necessarily have to be hard though.

I go to the gym. Trying to bulk up a bit. So far so good. Put on almost 4kg. Honestly, it could have been more but with the crazy amount of cycling I do every week, eating enough is just so bloody hard.

I learn new piano pieces. My stress relief and it helps shift my way of thinking from all the reading and essay writing I do.

I'm trying to improve my juggling, can't get this one type of throw right though. It's driving me insane. Another nice break from essay writing.

I bought a DSLR to get into photography. It's going really well so far, just wish I had a bit more time but I try and take my camera with me everywhere so I still do it often.

Also, I'm trying to improve my posture because it's awful. It's a pain but needs to be done.

And I read. A lot. And write. A lot.

I have very little time at the moment because the tempo at university is currently breakneck but this stuff will do for now.

I'm trying to lose weight and get fitter at the moment. Round where I live, there's a massive hill, I try to run up and over the other side of it four times everyday. Jogging or running doesn't work much anymore but this does because it makes me feel tired afterwards.

I'm also writing another book and I'm trying to learn Japanese...and failing.

I hate myself because I could be better at everything. There's no way of winning.

I'd love to get in better shape, i.e. improve my conditioning and work out. I play the piano once in a while, though I don't feel I have the time to really sit down and learn new pieces at the moment.

I'm also currently working on my self-esteem, trying to readjust its current level as well as the criteria of success I have set for myself. The former is too low, the latter too high.

This. I know people who are seemingly blessed when it comes to language.

I have a natural understanding of numbers rather than languages. Even english doesn't come easy to me.

I passed my driving test last year, which was a pretty big achievement for me. Yay.

This year is losing weight and learning japanese, both of which are mega difficult to me, haha.

I don't do anything at all, which is why I hate myself.

Same.

I'm all plans and plotting, as opposed to action.

I cycle...

that's about it.

Im trying to grow my hair. And trying become a better artist!

Trying to grow your hair doesn't count! It's like me saying I'm trying to get older.

I have taken to writing a Blog. Its pretty n00bish at the moment, as I'm trying to find a voice and a register. Most recent post starts like a fairly staid and emotionless essay, and then devolves into the kind of annoying speculation I'm sometimes known for...

It's also in my sig!

Im trying to grow my hair. And trying become a better artist!

I'm doing the opposite and getting it cut short yay!

(you are already an awesome artist!)

Trying to grow your hair doesn't count! It's like me saying I'm trying to get older.

It does count! You don't finally get to 40 and suddenly realise your sick of it and got back to 20 again. I can't stop shavinhg parts of my head and I don't want to!

I have taken to writing a Blog. Its pretty n00bish at the moment, as I'm trying to find a voice and a register. Most recent post starts like a fairly staid and emotionless essay, and then devolves into the kind of annoying speculation I'm sometimes known for...

It's also in my sig!

I've started a blog as well haha. Though for me it's more like a "show off what I'm working on and maybe get some feedback but probably not" kind of thing. =P

I started squash last week! Loving it hehe.

I'm desperately trying to develop my writing habit better. Also jogging. The jogging is the easy one.

I've started a blog as well haha. Though for me it's more like a "show off what I'm working on and maybe get some feedback but probably not" kind of thing. =P

I started squash last week! Loving it hehe.

Your blog has just upped the game. Goddamn you for being talented Eenuh!

You just wait. =p

Your blog has just upped the game. Goddamn you for being talented Eenuh!

You just wait. =p

Yeah but then again I have no writing skills. So it kinda evens it out. =P

Sign in to follow this