NEurope
McPhee

Happy Meal is ageless: no decay in a year on a shelf

Saw this on Google Reader: Play. It's actually quite scary! This Happy Meal is one year old. Yes, it was bought a year ago and it's been sat on a shelf all year!

DSC01875.jpg

No decay. At all. I knew McDonald's food was shite, but this is a whole new level! How do they do it? It's like magic! :laughing:

http://www.babybites.info/2010/03/03/1-year-happy-meal/

Edited by McPhee

And yet, I still have the same Mickey D's craving I was unable to satisfy since Tuesday.

I like Mcdonalds, and a fact proving their meals consist of 50% sloth faeces and 45% curtain pole isn't going to stop me eating them.

Not that I ever plan to go there, usually only once every couple of months.

Thank the good lord for Subway.

That way, we won't have to eat the non-decomposing McDonalds food(s) ever again.

Thank the good lord for Subway.

That way, we won't have to eat the non-decomposing McDonalds food(s) ever again.

I really wouldn't go thinking Subway is healthy food. The vast majority of the options really aren't, meatball marinara in particular has a a phenomenal amount of salt (4.3g 6 inch).

I've heard about this thing before, Morgan Spurlock of Supersize Me fame wrote in his book that as a prank, he put a fillet o fish in a friends office, so it would stink it out. It stayed a year unnoticed and even then, someone had found it and said it looked like it had just been bought. There's a good comparison with regular food:

This reminds me of when my buddy left a pre-made slad in his closet for a year...it turned into a liquid after about 2 months and he was afraid to get rid of it.

And people say McDonald's has no quality, I've had stuff made of plastic that didn't last me 3 months.

TBH, none of this kind of news that occasional pop up against McDonalds won't stop me from eating there every now and then.

Hmm surely this only applies to the basic burgers that they cook/reheat? Some of the burgers there are cooked too order are they not? such as the Big Tasty, I had one of those recently and the impression they give is that it's cooked to order, probably isn't really I guess but I was just curious.

As for the burger buns... how the heck can they make what is supposed to be bread last for over a year without any signs of mold? It just defies nature... stuff like that isn't supposed to last a week, let alone a year lol.

I like how this food is so unnatural that it's rejected by the forces of mother earth itself in to some kind of cursed purgatory. Remarkable.

I, too, am curious about the nature of McDonald's food. What makes it so ... durable?

I think the above oxymoron answers your question.

Edited by MoogleViper

From reading some of the comments, the food doesn't get moldy because it's being kept in airtight boxes in a dry place. For mold to grow, there needs to be water in the food; so if you keep it in a dry place where nothing can really get to it, it won't get moldy (or not as quickly). From the way the burger and bun have been described, they've completely dried out.

Plus of course there's probably a bunch of conservation chemicals in the food that stops it from going bad quickly.

You should all watch the same experiment they did in Supersize Me, but with more burgers. The burgers do get moldy if normal air gets to them. The fries on the other hand....

From reading some of the comments, the food doesn't get moldy because it's being kept in airtight boxes in a dry place. For mold to grow, there needs to be water in the food; so if you keep it in a dry place where nothing can really get to it, it won't get moldy (or not as quickly). From the way the burger and bun have been described, they've completely dried out.

Plus of course there's probably a bunch of conservation chemicals in the food that stops it from going bad quickly.

You should all watch the same experiment they did in Supersize Me, but with more burgers. The burgers do get moldy if normal air gets to them. The fries on the other hand....

There will be moisture in the air.

Also...

There's not enough moisture in the small amount of air trapped in some of these things to cause the same degradation (such as the air-tight sandwich boxes). As Eenuh said, some of the tests are a bit iffy since they are all being kept in air-tight containers where mold and bacteria are restricted. The one with the jars in the Supersize me video isn't air tight, hence why you see them decompose, but again; it's still slightly more sealed off than if it was just left out in the open.

We can all concur that the fries are completely unnatural, though. Barely anything happens to them.

There will be moisture in the air.

Also...

Haha sorry, for some reason I completely missed that ipaul posted it.

I remember seeing the documentary in the cinema, and afterwards my male friends were like "Mmmmm now I really feel like eating some McDonalds". And they meant it. =P

I don't mind McDonalds food much, but I only eat it a few times per year and I stick to the Big Mac heh. It can be tasty from time to time. =P

Ewww, thats horrible...I don't want a girls toy!

Reminds me of the Supersize Me thing.