NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

The Pacific

ThePacificIntertitle.jpg

The Pacific is a 2010 ten-part television World War II miniseries, produced by HBO, Seven Network Australia and DreamWorks, which premiered on March 14, 2010.

Similar to the 2001 mini-series Band of Brothers, The Pacific focuses on the United States Marine Corps' actions in the Pacific Theater of Operations.

The first episode was shown in America last night and is due to be broadcast on Sky Movies on April 4th in the UK.

I've just finished the first episode and think it's going to be a great series. I don't think I've seen an HBO programme which I haven't enjoyed so really looking forward to the next episode.

I know so little about the war in The Pacific so hopefully this'll up my knowledge.

Anyone else seen it yet?

ThePacificIntertitle.jpg

The first episode was shown in America last night and is due to be broadcast on Sky Movies on April 4th in the UK.

I've just finished the first episode and think it's going to be a great series. I don't think I've seen an HBO programme which I haven't enjoyed so really looking forward to the next episode.

I know so little about the war in The Pacific so hopefully this'll up my knowledge.

Anyone else seen it yet?

I've been waiting for this for what seems like years. Not sure if I'm going to watch it on tv or wait for the Blu Ray release. I somehow happened to miss Band of Brothers the many times it was on tv but I picked up the Blu Ray collection and it was awesome viewing it in an all day sesssion. Definitely the best way to view it.

Expect it to be top notch, HBO don't make shit and Tom Hanks is awesome.

Sounds like it's going to be a bit like Band of Brothers and from what I can remember if it is then great :)

I don't think I've seen an HBO programme which I haven't enjoyed so really looking forward to the next episode.

Than may I suggest this and that...

Anyway...looks okay. Not my usual kind of thing but I may check it out over the summer when I can snowball it.

Saw a big advert for this at Waterloo today and got a little excited. Loved Band of Brothers so I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy this.

I've been waiting for this for what seems like years. Not sure if I'm going to watch it on tv or wait for the Blu Ray release. I somehow happened to miss Band of Brothers the many times it was on tv but I picked up the Blu Ray collection and it was awesome viewing it in an all day sesssion. Definitely the best way to view it.

Expect it to be top notch, HBO don't make shit and Tom Hanks is awesome.

Yeah I wish all 10 episodes were out already so I could just watch them all in a one-er!

This really completes my TV viewing schedule... Got so many things on the go, this, 24, Lost, Modern Family, currently working my way through Arrested Development too and FlashForward starts back up this week.

I will be waiting for the DVD release i think.

For the people who have said they like HBO series watch generation kill, its brilliant. The name puts people off i think as its not all killing by any stretch of the imagination.

Generation Kill is amazing

as is this, which is handy.

I spent almost the entire first episode gripped by cold, adrenaline soaked dread when they were in the jungle. The build up was absolutely incredible stuff. I like how they spent so little time getting them in to action, too- almost like the war exists in isolation from life and reality. What they did show of civilian life was great, too. The hope and bravado of what they said was perfectly pitched against the mute reaction to their own actions later in the episode, forming a perfect narrative arc that sets up the rest of the series brilliantly.

And needless to say, the production values are off the chart. It looks better than most movies, and the prospect of 9 more hours of such quality television is a real treat.

I watched it, it was really good. I feel there wasn't as much build up to Guadalcanal as there was to Band of Brothers.

There was a few episodes where they didn't see combat at all, they were all training. The Pacific just had an overview of Japanese conquest (voiced by Tom Hanks) and that was pretty much it. There was just one or two scenes with each of the main characters before they are sitting in the ship on their way to war. I would've liked to see a training-like portion to see the relationships grow between the characters. I'm waiting for Jurassic Park to get over his murmour and get some action.

Just finished the first ep. I was too distracted with comparing, role-for-role, characters with BoB. So far we have a clear Dude Who Will Get Promoted Loads and a few knuckleheads.

The actual jungle flashbang war was too hard to follow - I'm sure that's the 'point' but still not great viewing. The build up of tension was done very loosely and obliquely, relying heavily on associated viewing and stereotypical action, and in general this episode was a lot less informative than BoB (at least initially) appeared to be.

The father who is more concerned with his car than his son, the father who is more concerned with his son than his country, the enemy who shows signs of humanity, the guy who goes crazy at the first sign of combat... blah blah blah. I'm being harsh or something I don't know balbaldbfoadfbo

I'm generally feeling mixed about this. I have no doubt that a large enough production budget practically guarentees awesomeness, but the unavoidable comparisons to BoB (which I love) means that I'm effectively going to scowl and hate this show's inability to match up.

Than may I suggest this and that...

Anyway...looks okay. Not my usual kind of thing but I may check it out over the summer when I can snowball it.

... you realise he effectively said there isn't a HBO show that he doesn't like, so your post reads as if you're suggesting some tripe HBO stuff? Silly ashley. Plus 'than'? RUBBIIISHHH

Why do Sky have to be right bastards and buy the rights for everything decent. I enjoyed Band of Brothers on BBC2. Now I'll have to wait for the DVD of this. Or look else where >_>

Why do Sky have to be right bastards and buy the rights for everything decent. I enjoyed Band of Brothers on BBC2. Now I'll have to wait for the DVD of this. Or look else where >_>

Hallo, internetz.

I refuse to watch this online. I will very much be watching this on DVD at home in surround sound. Probably in one day.

Hallo, internetz.

Hallo, not so hidden white text. : peace:

I don't have Sky, and watching it online won't do it justice, at least for me. I'm gonna have to wait for the DVD. :(

I don't have Sky, and watching it online won't do it justice, at least for me. I'm gonna have to wait for the DVD. :(

HD versions are around on the Internet.

Just watched it, found a high quality download of it.

Great stuff, the production values of this is amazing.

HD versions are around on the Internet.

My coursework and lab report grades just fell by 30%.

I wonder how long it'll take them to get this on Blu-Ray in the UK? Still waiting on Generation Kill (DVD is out, Blu isn't). Sky Movies HD will have to do for now. Shame, because I bet it'd look amazing! Roll on April 4th.

I wonder how long it'll take them to get this on Blu-Ray in the UK? Still waiting on Generation Kill (DVD is out, Blu isn't). Sky Movies HD will have to do for now. Shame, because I bet it'd look amazing! Roll on April 4th.

I imagine this will be out on blu ray he same time as DVD. This is a lot bigger than Generation kill which is a shame as i love generation kill. Infact i feel a new signature coming on.

The studio has said it won't be out until at least the second half of the year, and that is in the US.

Anyone seen part 2 yet?

superb, again. Really painted a picture of the absolute hell the men on that island went through. The sheer insanity of their situation really hits home. Properly brutal, too. Some shocking scenes that really shocked me.

Part 2 was fucking brutal both in what they did and what they had to live with there.

Been a while since I saw some proper good war stories.

I'm really struggling to love this show as much as I do BoB... PERHAPS it's just because some scenes are ridicudark and I have no idea what's going on.

The first episode reminded me of the film screening in Inglorious Basterds, and for some reason I was thinking about the book King Rat for most of this one.

I have no doubt I'll be watching this every week though. It's certainly not bad tv and is very gripping!

I thought Part 2 was fantastic. Really brutal what the men had to go through. Talking to someone one second and the next he'd been shot in the neck with his blood showered all over you.

Sign in to follow this