NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MF Luder

Super Mario Kart

Why isn't it available in europe yet? Its been out in japan and the usa for ages hasn't it?

An awesome game truly. Had the best battle mode, which keeps going downhill for some reason.. The ds one was alright though I guess.

HYPE! HYPE! HYPE!

Nintendo have even put a trailer out for it. :o:bowdown:

Oh my word, too awesome. :yay:

Happy Easter to you too, NoE. :hug:

"Before the Blue Shell was invented"

In other words, when Mario Kart was a 100% skill based game.

God I wish nintendo UPDATED their old games... just put an online mode in nintendo...thats all we ask....

Probably won't get this! Though I kind of want to!

"Before the Blue Shell was invented"

In other words, when Mario Kart was a 100% skill based game.

Please. I was on Bowser Castle 2 just now, trying to shunt Luigi into the lava, and each time, as soon as I hit him, he turns Invincible. He was just spamming that move in another track.

Normally I kick ass at this game, but here...I don't know...

Edited by Serebii

The AI in this game is so cheap its unreal. They seem to have the ability to use infinite amount of power ups on you, they jump over bananas and green shells that are lying on the road and then theres the stupidly annoying catch up feature that for some reason is in every Mario Kart. I never seemed to notice any of these things as a kid but they are big faults to me now.

In one race I hit the princess with a red shell and then I sat and watched closely on the map how fast she caught up to me, its so cheap. I hope in the next Mario Kart they take note of Sega Racing and give you the option to turn it off.

Lastly I just cant get used to the drifting, especially after playing the later Mario Kart games and recently Sega Racing.

After waiting for ages to play this again im left feeling disappointed.

I still manage to win on this, just not by as much a margin I do on MKWii and do on this against my friends

I was expecting the hyperactive CPU and difficulty level of Super Mario Kart to cause a stir with newcomers, :grin: but must admit I'm quite surprised to hear it from people with previous experience of the game/older gamers. :hmm:

To me the "cheap AI" is part of what gives SMK its charm, I mean you want to be challenged right? If the CPU just let you be, it'd be a pretty boring ride. ::shrug: Plus, it's nothing like on newer versions (especially MKWii) where it's possible to get completely battered by multiple CPU attacks in a matter of seconds, SMK generally sticks to the formula of only your closest rivals attacking, meaning you usually have ample opportunity to get out of trouble.

The fact that DK Jr keeps spamming the bananas and Luigi keeps turning invincible etc... is annoying, :heh: but it's intentionally designed that way to make you raise your driving skill level to be able to deal with it, and if you play enough you will find it becomes increasingly easier to avoid the CPU attacks by jumping over hazards, cornering better, and so on.

Also, due to how cheeky the CPU can be, the pure satisfaction of taking out one of your main rivals with a shell is simply immense :hehe:... That beefy hit sound effect, the spinning animation... Oh man, I love it! For me, that will never lose its appeal. it's just classic. :laughing:

Yep, people often describe those that hold retro titles in high regard as donning the rose tinted glasses, but having spent hours on SMK today I can definitely say it's still my favourite Nintendo game of all time.

Lovely visuals, brilliant and genre establishing gameplay, absolutely exquisite music, and just filled to the brim with fun. I actually can't play this game without cracking up at some point or at least smiling from ear to ear. :)

Anyway, I hope those that are finding it too difficult, or dislike the CPU AI stick with it for a while. At least try to get into it a bit more.

You've got to remember though this game is 18 years old, going in with expectations based off modern games (even modern MK) is not a good idea.

When Reggie described MKWii as "not your father's Mario Kart", he wasn't kidding. This is your father's Mario Kart, and it's a whole different ball game son! ;)

I don't mind being challenged in games, hell I welcome it ( see my love of Monster Hunter series for details :D ) but when I get punished by unfair/cheap AI it starts becoming more about luck and alot less about skill.

If I hammer someone with a red shell it should take them the same time to recover from it as me and why in the blue hell does the AI get to casually hop over hazards when I would spin out? ::shrug::mad:

If I hammer someone with a red shell it should take them the same time to recover from it as me and why in the blue hell does the AI get to casually hop over hazards when I would spin out? ::shrug::mad:

A well timed hop will take you over them too.

Or was that a primary school myth? :santa:

I don't mind being challenged in games, hell I welcome it ( see my love of Monster Hunter series for details :D ) but when I get punished by unfair/cheap AI it starts becoming more about luck and alot less about skill.

If I hammer someone with a red shell it should take them the same time to recover from it as me

I know some luck always comes into the equation with Mario Kart, but the version that puts the most emphasis on skill is this one, trust me. It might not seem like it at times, but it is.

You see depending on which character you're playing as, you'll have 2 main rivals. For example, if you're Mario it'll usually be DK Jr and Peach. If you hit them their recovery time from the attack won't be any less than your own, or any of the other CPU characters for that matter. It's just that they will catch up a heck of a lot quicker in order to remain being your rival, the game is just programmed like that.

So don't think of the main CPU rivals like this:

peach.gif

But rather like this:

terminatorpeach.gif

Basically they will stop at nothing to kill beat you. :laughing:

A well timed hop will take you over them too.

Or was that a primary school myth? :santa:

An incredibly well timed hop, it's a fluke more than anything though. ;) I've only ever managed it a couple of times before and just over nanas. The CPU casually hopping over everything in their path is merely another way of taunting the player in this game. :heh:

The best course of action to avoid enemy attacks is just to use anticipation, they're mostly quite predictable anyway so it's not that difficult really. If you see the character ahead of you preparing an item, just get out of their racing line, or if you've got a shell fire at the obstacle to clear it. The same goes for whenever you're in the lead, the map view will switch to rear view, giving all the warning you need that a projectile is incoming.

Has anyone experienced a CPU kart jumping to avoid your red shell though? Now that one's a real kick in the balls. :D

I'm sorry, but...as great as this game may have been to play back then it's truly an eyesore now and really doesn't control well at all. It also looks as if the screen has been vertically squashed like a pancake so you can barely see far ahead of you at all.

There's such a thing as liking games today just because they are retro, even if they have been massively superseded in practically every way. :p

I'm sorry, but...as great as this game may have been to play back then it's truly an eyesore now and really doesn't control well at all. It also looks as if the screen has been vertically squashed like a pancake so you can barely see far ahead of you at all.

There's such a thing as liking games today just because they are retro, even if they have been massively superseded in practically every way. :p

Well, I loved it when it came out and still love it now.

But yeah, each to their own, ey? : peace:

I don't get this. Everyone whines and whines for it, and now that it's finally out, everyone complains how lousy it is? :\

I'm confused.

I don't get this. Everyone whines and whines for it, and now that it's finally out, everyone complains how lousy it is? :\

I'm confused.

I never whined for it.

Truly amazing game, probably the best version (miles better than the Wii version *shudder*). Man 150cc is so hard, really puts your skills to the limit. Completely forgot how important coins were, shame they got rid of them in the subsequent games.

Also, ghost valley still terrifies me :/

I'm confused.

I haven't played it since I was a kid and I just don't think its aged that well. If it makes you feel better I could lie and say I still love it.

Truly amazing game, probably the best version (miles better than the Wii version *shudder*). Man 150cc is so hard, really puts your skills to the limit. Completely forgot how important coins were, shame they got rid of them in the subsequent games.

Also, ghost valley still terrifies me :/

Yes, the fantastic online mode, the introduction of stunts to allow skilled players to distinguish themselves further, good handling, the best looking title there has been to date and some truly awesome race tracks. I can't stop myself shuddering over the Wii version either.

Sign in to follow this