NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

FlingSmash

It's Span Smasher - revealed about 18 months ago alongside Cosmic Walker and Dynamic Slash. Nice to see this seems to actually be coming out over here.

Developer is Artoon, perhaps best known for Yoshi's Island DS.

It's been confirmed that Europe are getting this in 2010 (i believe it's November), Eurogamer just had a news post stating this fact but was then taken down! Goldensun DS is also released December 10th 2010 (just so you know)....

Anyway, I'm hoping 'Flingsmash' has alot of variety and obviously uses the motionplus superbly cause the lack of games using that device so far is criminal! Could be a dark horse?

ONM gave it quite a decent review. IGNs review doesn't really matter to me as my mind is already made up, I will still be buying it. It looks unique, colourful and it comes with a free Wiimote+. :D

I've cancelled my pre order. I've gone a bit Kinect mad and technically I would be buying this just for the motion plus controller at £35.

However I've spent so much money making sure all my wii motes have motion plus already that It seems daft buying this at the moment....I'll get it eventually.

Got my PAL copy with this today, and.. yeah, it's pretty dull. I've only played the first world so far, so maybe it'll pick up, but I can't really see where the concept can go. Also, the comments about the controls in the IGN review are correct - it is difficult to make the character go where you want. On the plus side, though, at least you don't have to recalibrate the remote every thirty seconds, like I seem to remember in the only other WiiMotion+ game I've played - Wii Sports Resort.

Best thing about it is definitely the Wiimote+ that comes with it - my first new remote since getting the Wii at launch! :) Nice to have a colour other than white in my collection, at last.

Got my PAL copy with this today, and.. yeah, it's pretty dull. I've only played the first world so far, so maybe it'll pick up, but I can't really see where the concept can go. Also, the comments about the controls in the IGN review are correct - it is difficult to make the character go where you want. On the plus side, though, at least you don't have to recalibrate the remote every thirty seconds, like I seem to remember in the only other WiiMotion+ game I've played - Wii Sports Resort.

Best thing about it is definitely the Wiimote+ that comes with it - my first new remote since getting the Wii at launch! :) Nice to have a colour other than white in my collection, at last.

Do you still have to calibrate once before you start playing?

I'm still picking this up regardless of the potential control issues. Don't trust IGN at all (their Wii Music "review" was the last straw) plus you and I have also had different opinions where controls are concerned in the past, :heh: so yeah I'll have to just try it out for myself I think.

This does seem to be a great game for those that like the good old high score style game play though (which I love) so I'm anticipating that it'll have an addictive quality to it. :D

I could also do with another remote too, and looking forward I reckon I'd much rather be playing Skyward Sword with the Wii Remote+ instead of the Wii Remote with Motion+ add-on.

*waits for Nintendo to announce Zelda will also be bundled with a Wii Remote+* :hehe:

Nope, I didn't have to calibrate the remote at all. I'm sure the game is better if you're into bettering your high scores, but it hardly gives the like of Sin & Punishment a run for its money!

Nope, I didn't have to calibrate the remote at all.
Interesting.

I wonder if that's a sneaky enhancement to the Motion+ tech with Wii Remote+, or if it's just down to the game itself. :blank: Have you tried it with a standard Wii Remote & Motion+ add-on?

Well, as I recall the calibration of the motionplus unit attachment was due to it being an add-on so you had to re-calibrate it so it could get in synch, so to speak, with the accelerometers in the actual Wii-mote. I guess by having it built into the Wii-mote this time round cuts out that issue as it's all one unit rather than 2 trying to work together.

Well, as I recall the calibration of the motionplus unit attachment was due to it being an add-on so you had to re-calibrate it so it could get in synch, so to speak, with the accelerometers in the actual Wii-mote. I guess by having it built into the Wii-mote this time round cuts out that issue as it's all one unit rather than 2 trying to work together.
Ah I see, yeah that makes sense.

Calibrating WM+ wasn't much of a problem really, but the more streamlined the experience the better. icon14.gif

Edited by RedShell

the comments about the controls in the IGN review are correct - it is difficult to make the character go where you want.

I haven't read the IGN review but thats a pity if there are control issues. :(

I'm still picking this up regardless of the potential control issues. Don't trust IGN at all (their Wii Music "review" was the last straw) plus you and I have also had different opinions where controls are concerned in the past, :heh: so yeah I'll have to just try it out for myself I think.

Alright, alright, seeing as you invoked Wii Music I'll wait and see what you think of FlingSmash before fully overlooking it. :heh:

My copy arrived today!! :yay:

It's pretty good fun and I've not encountered any control issues, apart from when I went a bit too mental with the flinging :laughing: (A message appears on screen when that happens, letting you know to chill out :heh:). The game doesn't take the speed/force of your swing into account, it's all about the angle of the remote. The little display at the bottom right of the screen gives you precise visual feedback as to how you're holding the Wii Remote, it can be be very useful to check which direction you're going to fling in. ;)

It's also essential to use the A button to stop the character from time to time, this helps you set up the next shot more accurately and can also stop you from going in an undesired direction.

Presentation wise this game really reminds me of The Munchables, got a very similar vibe going on anyway. It's nothing spectacular in the audio/visual department, but it does have some nice touches here and there.

The black Wii Remote Plus is lovely. Not only does it look great, but the fact that it's identical in size and weight to the standard Wii Remote is awesome. It makes going back to the WM+ add-on very difficult indeed.

I did briefly try FlingSmash with the old WM+ though, to test the calibration theory. It turns out that you don't need to calibrate in this game regardless of which set-up you're using, so it's a software enhancement after all.

A good sign for future Motion+ games, especially Zelda.

Alright, alright, seeing as you invoked Wii Music I'll wait and see what you think of FlingSmash before fully overlooking it. :heh:
Well, to sum it up I'd say that you shouldn't be rushing out to get it unless you really need the extra remote, or you love high score style games. It looks to be very short indeed (I'm already at world 4 after less than an hour) if you're not into re-playing stages, it's unlikely to keep you busy for long.

So yeah, not an essential purchase but by no means a bad game. And the Wii Remote Plus is absolutely fantastic, took it for a test drive on Wii Sports Resort too and it just feels so much nicer than the using the old set-up.

icon4.gif Just a heads up for anyone that buys FlingSmash, the on screen cursor in this game is completely borked! I thought my nice new Wii Remote+ had a dodgy pointer at first, as it was shaking all over the place despite me keeping the remote really still. When I played the game with my old remote it was doing the same thing though, and the new remote's pointer works fine outside of FlingSmash, so it's definitely down to the game.

As far as I can tell, the pointer is only used for navigating the menus anyway, so no big deal.

Edited by RedShell

Does it only come with a black Wii Remote Plus? I want white to match the rest of my Wii stuff.
Black Wii Remote Plus only as far as I'm aware. :hmm:

It's a stunner though. :awesome: I actually think this is Nintendo's cheeky way of getting more people to buy a black Wii, once you see how cool the black remote is you can't help but want the console too. :grin:

I didn't mention the mini-games in FlingSmash before, (you unlock them for getting A Ranks in all 3 stages of a world) some of them are brilliant. There's one where you're continually in Super Shot mode and have to collect fruit through a progressively more complex block layout, it's really good fun! :hehe:

There are quite a few twists to the game play mechanic throughout the main game too with appropriate changes to the physics, like turning into metal, being made tiny, getting blown around by gusts of wind etc... I made it up to World 7 yesterday, should be completing the game tonight I reckon, (that's a rare occurrence, beating a game before it's officially released! :heh:) then it's on to finding the best routes for high score time! :bouncy:

So is anyone else FlingSmashing? I finished the main game last night.

The music on World 8 really took me by surprise, it's pretty epic (in a cheesy 90's dance tune kind of way :heh:) definitely sticks in your head though:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I've unlocked all of the mini-games now, my favourite one remains the super shot stage. Shame they didn't include an endless version of that really. :hmm:

Still need to unlock most of the extra stages for each world though (S Ranks on all levels) only done the first world so far. Not sure if there's any further unlockable for S Ranking the extra stages... I doubt it though.

It's unfortunate that this game has been picking up some bad reviews, Eurogamer are the latest to criticise:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-18-flingsmash-review

Seriously unjustified in my opinion, apart from their comments on the Story... which really is terrible. :laughing: But who in the hell was expecting anything from that, in this type of game? ::shrug:

This is a much better review:

Although I disagree with him about reaching for the mute button, I like the sound effects. Especially the charging/super shot:

Emmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... *flick* Woooooooooooooooooooo!! :D

So is anyone else FlingSmashing?

I was all set to but the Eurogamer review came out and really put me off. As I said in the DCKR topic, those guys are one of the very few reviewers I tend to listen to. It didn't help that they reviewed Assassins Creed on the same day and gave it a 10, so I went with that instead.

I still do want to give it a try but I may hang on til after Christmas and hope it gets a price drop. Paying £50 for a game that isn't that long just didn't seem worth it when I compared it to Creeds 20 hour campaogn plus multiplayer.

Yeah, I know they are both completely different types of games but they were my buying options at that point in time, so I had to go with the one that would offer me more bang for my buck.

I was all set to but the Eurogamer review came out and really put me off. As I said in the DCKR topic, those guys are one of the very few reviewers I tend to listen to. It didn't help that they reviewed Assassins Creed on the same day and gave it a 10, so I went with that instead.

I still do want to give it a try but I may hang on til after Christmas and hope it gets a price drop. Paying £50 for a game that isn't that long just didn't seem worth it when I compared it to Creeds 20 hour campaogn plus multiplayer.

Yeah, I know they are both completely different types of games but they were my buying options at that point in time, so I had to go with the one that would offer me more bang for my buck.

It's definitely not worth 50 quid! :eek:

I got mine from Gameplay for £35:

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/nintendo-wii/flingsmash-with-black-wii-remote-plus/_/NW5442/productpage.html

As for following Eurogamer, (and I don't have anything against them, unlike IGN :heh:) but Assassins Creed and FlingSmash were reviewed by two different people for a start.

When looking at any website/magazine I think it's always essential to remember that it's a group of people, all with different ideas and opinions. Sure they're supposed to stick to a specific review policy, but that won't change the fact that individually they'll like/dislike different things.

So I don't get how it's possible to completely trust any one publication in that sense. :blank:

Edited by RedShell

Sign in to follow this