NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Activision's New Plans For Call of Duty

Kotaku.com -

Publisher Activision announced today new "strategic plans" for the Call of Duty franchise, announcing a new developer for the shooter franchise and confirming the departure of key Infinity Ward staffers.

The plans include the formation of a dedicated business unit that will bring together its various new brand initiatives with focused, dedicated resources around the world. The company intends to expand the Call of Duty brand with the same focus seen in its Blizzard® Entertainment business unit. This will include a focus on high-margin digital online content and further the brand as the leading action entertainment franchise in new geographies, new genres and with new digital business models.

"2010 will be another important year for the Call of Duty franchise," stated Mike Griffith, President and CEO of Activision Publishing. "In addition to continued catalog sales, new downloadable content from Infinity Ward and a new Call of Duty release, we are excited about the opportunity to bring the franchise to new geographies, genres and players."

The company expects to release a new Call of Duty game from Treyarch this fall. In addition, Infinity Ward is in development on the first two downloadable map packs for Modern Warfare® 2 for release in 2010.

The company is also for the first time announcing that a new game in the Call of Duty series is expected to be released in 2011 and that Sledgehammer Games, a newly formed, wholly owned studio, is in development on a Call of Duty game that will extend the franchise into the action-adventure genre. Sledgehammer is helmed by industry veterans Glen A. Schofield and Michael Condrey. Prior to joining Activision Publishing, Schofield was the Executive Producer of the award-winning game, Dead Space and Michael Condrey was the Sr. Development Director on the game. The Dead Space franchise has won more than 80 industry awards worldwide including the prestigious A.I.A.S. Action Game of the Year and two B.A.F.T.A.S.

The Call of Duty business unit will be led by Philip Earl, who currently runs Activision Publishing's Asia Pacific region and previously served in senior executive positions with Procter & Gamble and Nestle. Activision Publishing veterans Steve Pearce, chief technology officer and Steve Ackrich, head of production, will lead Infinity Ward on an interim basis. Jason West and Vince Zampella are no longer with Infinity Ward.

Lastly, Activision Publishing announced that the company is in discussions with a select number of partners to bring the franchise to Asia, one of the fastest growing regions for online multiplayer games in the world.

To sum it up Infinity Ward didnt want to continue the Call of Duty franchise with MW3 before starting a new IP. In-turn Activision fired two key staff (Jason West and Vince Zampella) and put a new developer on the franchise.

Edited by Dante

Sad times, tbf I wasn't so bothered about people going on about Activision and there ruley thumb. But this takes the buscuit, I'm sure treyarch will do a good job, but well it seems Activision are milking into a giant cash cow.

If I was the head of Activision I'd being doing exactly the same and I wouldn't be worried about some sweaty gamers insulting me on a forum whilst I'm playing beachball in my private jet.

From what I've been reading elsewhere that isn't quite the whole story. Call of Duty is licensed by Activision from Infinity Ward as part of the contractual agreement between the two companies. Jason West and Vince Zampella got sacked because they were talking to other game publishers about moving Infinity Ward and the Call of Duty franchise when the contract expires in October. By sacking them and hiring favourable replacements Activision will be able to keep Infinity Ward and the Call of Duty franchise.

I can't see this being the end of things to be honest. If the above is true I'd expect huge staff walk-outs over the next few weeks and they'll likely set up a new studio (with or without the CoD franchise). If it emerges to be true though I will be boycotting all Activision games from now on. Shouldn't be too hard, the only game they have coming out that actually interests me is Starcraft 2 and that's going to be shit anyway (*cries*).

Edited by McPhee

If I was the head of Activision I'd being doing exactly the same and I wouldn't be worried about some sweaty gamers insulting me on a forum whilst I'm playing beachball in my private jet.

Would you not think about all the staff that could lose their jobs once your games stop selling as many?

If the above is true I'd expect huge staff walk-outs over the next few weeks and they'll likely set up a new studio (with or without the CoD franchise)

Not in todays knackered financial world, boyo.

2 COD's In 2011:

Call Of Duty 2011 Isn't Sledgehammer's "Action-Adventure" Call Of Duty Game

"2010 is expected to be another big year for Call of Duty," said Griffith, "with Treyarch developing a new title for fall release, Infinity Ward's downloadable content for Modern Warfare 2 in the works now, and a new Call of Duty title expected to be released in 2011."

Here's where the 2011 Call of Duty and Sledgehammer's game become distinctly separate.

"In addition," said Griffith, making the distinction between the two games clear, "Sledgehammer Games is in development on a Call of Duty title in the action-adventure genre. It's an exciting time and it's the right time to ensure the appropriate resources are there to support Call of Duty's growth."

Normally I would agree with Dwarf but in this case I have genuine fears that Activision do totally wrest control of it, they are going to do to the Call of Duty franchise what they did to Guitar Hero - pimp it like some two-dime whore and pump out a rapid succession of "Call of Duty" titles until the franchise isn't worth the sweat on the average gamer's ball sack. The only reason the CoD franchise remains so strong is because of IW's original and continuing efforts - nobody wins by trying to take that away from them or diluting them too far with superfluous "brand" titles.

Dwarf makes a good point. You can see why the bosses are doing what they are doing, they are making as much money as they can by sticking 'Call of Duty' onto as much as they can. No-one can fault the temptation.

I'm not saying it is right though, as we all know this will drive the 'brand' into the ground till it becomes the game we all reference 2 when we want to take the piss out of something. Next there will be Call of Duty RPGs and Call of Duty RTS and so on n so forth!

As long as they keep releasing good games i will prob still buy them (which is what they will be banking on)

The big bosses are probably looking at this as a big gold mine and trying to dig it all up as fast as they can and once it has all dried up, move on to another company or a new IP, at the end of the day it will still leave rich while potentially the company and its employee's suffer.

On another note i wonder if when IW originally dropped 'Call of Duty' from Modern Warefare 2's title, that the real reason they did this was to get away from the Call of Duty brand as they new what Activition were planning on sticking that on everything and they could take 'Modern Warfare' with them to a possible new publisher in the future and keep there gaming title 'fresh' (hence these apparant secret talks). Of Course Activition then stuck there claws in and like magic the Call of Duty part of the title re-appears.

Edited by Mike1988uk

^yeah, MW2's focus on... well, modern warfare, is excellent, but of course the COD resume reads like a military history text book, and I guess not pursuing those avenues would be foolish.

That the kotaku comment suggests the future of the MW/COD brand could be akin to WoW... well that's a frightful and sorry thing to hear. I, for one, avoid MMO's because a) subscription is a cake of lies and aids, and b) I would get addicted too easily. I also 'believe' that such games are a cancer to the industry, avoiding true progress of the medium in favour of Big Bucks. While the levelling up aspect of MW2 is, indeed, a fantastic part of the game as a whole, I don't fancy the idea of them perhaps splitting the current format into two distinct styles of games.

As for the whole infinity ward shocks/revelations... well, it's all groovy gossip and all but ultimately doesn't affect me at all. If a new game is made by a new company, and it's shit, then so what! I won't but it. If MW2 is the end of the series, then so what! There'll be other games.

Fuck you Activision.

As with Free Radical, a publisher has fucked with the developer and the cornerstones have left.

Actually, that gives me an idea. Doak, Ellis, West and Zampella, anyone?

Talking if Free Radical, the rest of the studio got bought Crytek, so there's hope for a TS4 yet...

This shit is just too sleazy, all that security affair thing and pressure tatics culminating with the sacking of these guys, is just fucking scary. They did this their best studio! Their game made up a huge percentage of Activision's profits last year, and this is the payment they get, I can't possibly imagine how they treat their other devs.

In a few years Activision will have no good franchise, no brand acceptance, and Bobby Kotick will have long left the ship that he ran himself into the ground, and taken all he can with him for all those years of unsustainable profit.

Gotta love rampant capitalism.

Edited by Shino

I'm not bothered if they want to stick Call of Duty on stuff to make sales, it's understandable, companies need everything they can. But it's stupid to run games and brands into the ground.

A companies reputation, and product quality should also be important, and not just getting as much money as possible. Then again, some people are just greedy bastards and don't care about such things.

I'm not bothered if they want to stick Call of Duty on stuff to make sales, it's understandable, companies need everything they can. But it's stupid to run games and brands into the ground.

A companies reputation, and product quality should also be important, and not just getting as much money as possible. Then again, some people are just greedy bastards and don't care about such things.

I think we've known for a very long time that Activision don't care about such things, and never will while their current CEO is in power.

Well, it's certainly gentlemanlike of Activision to pave the way for EA's Medal of Honor-reboot. :wink:

The IW founders are suing now.

Jason West and Vince Zampella, the men at the centre of this week's drama at Call of Duty developers Infinity Ward, have filed suit against Activision over claims they are owed "substantial royalty payments"

"Activision has refused to honor the terms of its agreements and is intentionally flouting the fundamental public policy of this State (California) that employers must pay their employees what they have rightfully earned," said the pair's attorney, Robert Schwartz, of law firm O'Melveny & Myers. "Instead of thanking, lauding, or just plain paying Jason and Vince for giving Activision the most successful entertainment product ever offered to the public, last month Activision hired lawyers to conduct a pretextual 'investigation' into unstated and unsubstantiated charges of 'insubordination' and 'breach of fiduciary duty,' which then became the grounds for their termination on Monday, March 1st."

http://kotaku.com/5485295/infinity-ward-founders-suing-activision-over-unpaid-royalties

Here's the summary of the court document:

They alledge that Activition had "shoestringed" them budget-wise to buy them for a total of 1.5 (30% first), 3.5 (remaining 70%) - 6 million dollars for a franchiase that earned them according to Activition itself, 3$ billion. At this point, Activition and Krotick told them to "keep doing what they do" to "retain the magic of their creations", as in basically work as if they hadn't been bought by Activition. West and Zampella became the co-heads of IW and were hired under Activition for a 3 year contract, with two supplement years afterwards, ending late 2008. Then Activition wanted them to make MW2, but W and Z weren't sure. Activtion then assured them to work as an independent studio, but had already begun to intrude by "[...] for example, Activision forced IW's employees to continue producing the games at a break neck pace under aggressive schedules, and W and Z were concerned that Activision was emphasizing quantity over quality." Forcing them to work only on MW also was a creative concern, burning out employees only working on the same type of game instead of the studio coming up with new titles. Activision was making billions of dollars and IW were "[...] not being provided a fair share".

Due to this a "Memorandum of Understanding" (MOU) was signed by Activision; and W and Z. (these documents are not publically available) - now W and Z were signed until October 2011 and to deliver MW2 by November 15, 2009.

The MOU and an "Employment Agreement" made, promises W and Z creative authority over development under the MW brand or any Call of Duty game set in the post- Vietnam era, the near future or the distant future, including complete control over IW. The MOU also says that no such games can be released without the written consent of W and Z. The MOU also assured IW and W and Z more money via stock options and royalties for any CoD game and tech royalties for Activision games making significant use of IW technology (like IW's engine being used in other games, which has happened earlier [no examples listed]). This to ensure more money also to the hard-working employees.

They lived up to their end of the deal with finishing MW2 five days before deadline, Kotick then touted MW2 as the largest release for Activision ever, exceeding 1$ billion in five days, with 3$ billion to-date.

After this Activsion chose "[...] not to honor the MOU or the Employment Agreement with W and Z. Activision chose instead, to launch a pre-textual investigation against W and Z to create a basis to fire two co-heads of IW before the first MW2 royalty payment would be paid on March 31, 2010," starting February 3, 2010. "From the very beginning, it was clear that the purpose of the investigation was not to uncover any facts concerning any actual wrongdoing, but to manufacture a basis to fire W and Z." strengthened by Activision refusing to tell what it was all about, insisting instead in "[...] Orwellian fashion that W and Z 'already have a clear understanding of what they have or have not done.'", only hearing such things as "[...]"breaches of contract" or "violation of Activsions plocies" and said that if they asked more, it would be considered insubordination, which itself would justify their termination"

"Activision conducted the investigation in a manner designed to maximize the inconvenience and anxiety it would cause W and Z. On little notice, Activision insisted on cunducting interviews over the Presidents' Day holiday wekkend; W and Z were interrogated for over six hours in a windowless conference room; Activision brought other IW employees to tears in their questioing and accusations and threatened W and Z with "insubordination" if they attempted to console them; Activision's outside counsel demanded that W and Z surrender their personal computers, phones and communication devoices to Activision for review by Activision's outside counsel and, when W and Z asserted their legally protected privacy rights, Activision's counsel said that doing so constituted further acts of insubordination."

After it was over, it was clear that the investigation was was a charade, by the charges being dispored or not included in the investigation, showing Activision only wanting to fire them to refuse to pay what they've earned. They were given 6 hours to disprove themselves, without interview scripts or clear allegations. It was seemingly also futile, since Activision already had made up its mind.

Despite the MOU, Activision filed on March 1st personel plans to assert complete control over the MW brand and the IW Studio.

They are suing for $36 million due to:

1.) Breach of Contract,

by Activision not living up to their end of the MOU or Employee Agreement, refusing to pay what they said they would, despite IW living up to their side.

2.) Breach of the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing,

Refusing to pay, assuming control over the fanchaise despite MOU, and by firing them without probable cause made in bad faith.

3.) Wrongful Termination

4.) Declatory Relief

Suing for control of the MW brand and that Activision cannot release another MW game or Cod game set post-Vietnam era, near future or distant future without the written consent of W and Z

and sues for all royalties not yet paid and all future royalties under the MOU and Employee Agreement

Activision fired them over nothing and blocked them from talking to others. :blank:

Activision Seeking Internal Documents Related To West, Zampella And...Electronic Arts?

Activision Responds To West, Zampella's Lawsuit, Company "Disappointed"

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

This shit is just too sleazy, all that security affair thing and pressure tatics culminating with the sacking of these guys, is just fucking scary. They did this their best studio! Their game made up a huge percentage of Activision's profits last year, and this is the payment they get, I can't possibly imagine how they treat their other devs.

In a few years Activision will have no good franchise, no brand acceptance, and Bobby Kotick will have long left the ship that he ran himself into the ground, and taken all he can with him for all those years of unsustainable profit.

Gotta love rampant capitalism.

It is hardly pure capitalism. Sleaze and greed would be more appropriate.

Choze is back! YAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Where've you been me ol' buddy?

Choze is back! YAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Where've you been me ol' buddy?

Just plain busy. However I am buying games this month. Cant miss out.

Sign in to follow this