NEurope
Dante

Portal 2

www.shacknews.com -Portal Patch Adds Morse Code, Achievement - Portal 2 Speculation Begins

Today, Valve Software published an update to Portal through Steam.

The only patch note: "Changed radio transmission frequency to comply with federal and state spectrum management regulations"

Along with this cryptic change, is a new achievement, titled "Transmission Received", which Shacker ghost in my shell reported unlocking after he "put the radio on the red button on the first stage." At this point it "started spitting out Morse code."

We're still unsure what is actually going on here, but mysterious things appear to be afoot. At the very least, I'd recommend getting this achievement.

I've reached out to Valve Software for comment and I'll keep you updated of any new information.

Update: The following is reportedly a sound made by an in-game radio when thrown into a force field:

Update 2: Steam users have found 26 new sound files containing around 17 minutes of Morse code. The first file has been translated to read: "interior transmission active external data line active message digest active". Something big is going on.

Update 3:

of some of the Morse code and the above "Dinosaur_Fizzle" noise. Additionally, check these two videos of the near 18-minutes of sounds:
-

Update 4: One potential translation is:

Interior transmission active

External data line active

Message digest active

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

System data dump active

User back up active

Password back up active

Beep beep beep beep lol

Sounds like GLaDOS, who is very much "Still Alive", rebooting.

SSTV decoding -

portalsstv.jpg

Update 5: Internet sleuths uncovered in the images an encrypted number which turned out to be a phone number from Kirkland, Washington--the city where Valve was founded.

The telephone number connects to a bulletin board system--a pre-Internet dial-up system used for everything from chat to games--masquerading as a GLaDOS system.

ascii2.jpg

Sleuths have found numerous ASCII art images on BBS clearly connected to Apeture Science and Portal, as well as several mysterious items and diagrams. You might have to tilt your head for a 'proper' view of some of the pictures.

The BBS also turned up several Apeture Science documents including memos 'from' company founder Cave Johnson as well as more to ponder over. Highlights include:

CONFIDENTIAL

October 17th, 1976

Re: Human Enrichment & Testing Initiative, Resource Acquisitions

1. "Low Risk" Human Resource Acquisitions

a. Hoboes and Tramps

Lives spent wandering aimlessly, cowering before authority, and drinking concussive amounts of home-distilled potato alcohol make hoboes the perfect Human Enrichment test subjects. The hobo questions nothing, will follow orders if fed, and, like all hoboes, has a restless, wandering heart. (Note: The wandering heart of the hobo should not be confused with Drifing Heart Syndrome, which several transients contracted during testing.)

b. Child Orphans and Foundlings

Deep-rooted abandonment issues leave most orphans highly susceptible to shame-based psychology (for a complete list of opportune moments to obliterate the esteem of test subjects, please consulting Training Video #89-D, "You'd Perform This Test Better if You Had Parents"). Recent advances in the use of scorn, flattery used in an ironic context and naked contempt of motivational tools have yielded similarly profitable results.

c. Psychiatric Patients

Past experiences shows these fellows are simply not shy at all about carrying on, disrupting tests and defecating just about anywhere that pleases them. Frankly, it's off-putting, and small wonder why Apeture-brand mental institutions are being phased out in favor of more orphanages.

d. Seniors

Frail, brittle hands make holding science devices difficult. Most were born before the advent of science, and can become confused and disoriented when asked to participate in relatively simple tests (teleportation, invisibility, adjusting esteem levels of orphan children).

MEMORANDUMS: Filed under CJohnson: 188454-G

88^5211762 json remind you that Apeture Science is built on three pillars. Pillar one: Science without results is just witchcraft. Pillar two: Get results or you're fired. Pillar three: if you suspect a coworker of bein' a witch, report them immediately. I cannot stress that enough. Witchcraft will not be tolerated.

MEMORANDUMS: Filed under CJohnson: 7655-293-G

A lot of you have been raising concerns about the so-called "dangers" of what we're all doing here. The beancounters told me to tell you that as of today, testing will no longer be as mandatory or as dangerous. That's not gonna happen, and here's the reason:

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: Why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: Why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired.

Plus, in the event of your death, I personally guarantee that, thanks to the form you were required to sign this morning, your family will not suffer the indignities of a prolonged and costly legal battle against Apeture Science. Trust me, I am rich, and it is a burden I do not wish on anyone.

To summarize: 6218376213 wjqehjk -213888^%@5*(*@)@)#*a@ +---+++

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

I love Valve (more than companion cube?) :love: What a barmy way to announce a new game lol

Ships use morse-code ie Half-Life 3 as well?

2nreu0w.jpg

There are 32 digits with in md5 hash each image contains 4 bits when arranged together in order produces a md5 hash

that md5 hash when solved gives a 10 digit number

that number is a bbs

it connects to GLadDos

2uhmfy0.jpg

5f9d8a5ce27e2a0ad0de9cc.png

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

any kind of activity from Valve at all basically equates to sexual arousal. If this leads to hl3 then it'll be genius.

erm... maybe Half Life 2 - Episode 3, but I doubt it's HL3.

Hmm, I don't know about that. They've been making episodes for HL2 for ages now, it is a little dated (although a wonderful game).

For peeps who think it's HL3; it isn't. Valve has already said that they're not working on HL3, but have said Ep3 is being worked on. So, Half-Life 2: Episode 3. It just has to be! Although, even if it is Portal 2, it'll still be awesome! :D

Roll on GDC!!!! :grin:

Cleaner image of ASCII art images on BBS.

ascii2.jpg

Edited by Dante

The last I heard of Ep 3 it was set in the Antarctic and involved Aperature Science. I can't even remember how Ep 2 ended it was so long ago. Portal 2 would be very much appreciated too. Oh and Counter-strike.

Finished BBS of ASCII art images.

Updated Round 2!

Updates to Portal have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted.

Portal

* Added valuable asset retrieval

P63B4.jpg

118j706.jpg

The BBS went to: -- "VALUABLE ASSET RETRIEVAL INITIATED"

New portal credits?

Tim Larkin listed.

Progressbar.png

---- BEGIN RECORD 'C:\02622005.965\06615262.757' (863 BYTES) ----

MEMORANDUMS: Filed under CJohnson: 1085839-G

This one's important, folks, so no skimmin'. Cave Johnson here, your boss and

founder of Aperture Science?the best damn applied sciences company on Earth.

How good is the science here? Get a load a? this: as of this morning, I am

dead!

Now, yer probably askin? yourself, "Cave, come on now, how is this possible?

Are you some manner of Dracula? Or Frankenstein? Or dependin? on yer cultural

heritage, a Blackula or Latin Frankenstein?"gh632jj3

ksjdo sir! It's science. Thanks to our diligent Aperture engineers, I am

writin' memos to you today, literally, from beyond the grave! Furthermore I'd

l#ke t5o inf))))m 34verybody wearing a blue shirt today th32232t y0u

@##re f)*# TF FFs0&^t ##f gd fghDFRt 665 ^ $%& 4%^^$. ZSFGS D FGsd5 E$

5^57&w$% &6&778*$ 4^77 r6ty u$65####################3

---- RECORD ENDS ----

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

How incredibly random is this! Yeh just announce Portal 2 now ok thx bai.

Announced:

2iswdif.jpgkjJzNvKlzM2o.jpg

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Left 4 Dead, Counter-Strike and Half-Life) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Portal 2 for shipment this coming holiday season.

Portal 2 is the sequel to 2007's Portal, which won 70 industry achievement awards.

For more information, please visit http://www.steamgames.com

Code: 'drattmannh0nee'

Gameinformer Portal 2 Site:

After legions of fans embraced Portal, Valve knew they needed to double down and give them a sequel. The fiercely independent studio is investing more time, more capital, and more risk into a stand-alone, full-price retail release. To complement our world-exclusive Portal 2 cover story, we will be rolling out supplementary features all through the month of March. Check back often for updates.

Today -

3.5.png

8/3/2010

10/3/2010

12/3/2010

15/3/2010

17/3/2010

19/3/2010

22/3/2010

24/3/2010

26/3/2010

29/3/2010

30/3/2010

oalehaaca.jpg

coop.jpg

Edited by Dante

Lol I feel somewhat disappointed, I would much prefer episode 3. Still great news I guess, maybe this will come inside an Orange Box 2.

Portal 2 is for PC/360 and out in December.

Gamespot Details:

Coming this holiday. Portal 2 is the sequel to 2007's Game of the Year and draws from the award-winning formula of innovative game play, story, and music that earned the original over 70 industry accolades. Features single and multiplayer co-op modes.Portal 2 draws from the award-winning formula of innovative gameplay, story, and music that earned the original Portal over 70 industry accolades and created a cult following. The single-player portion of Portal 2 introduces a cast of dynamic new characters, a host of fresh puzzle elements, and a much larger set of devious test chambers. Players will explore never-before-seen areas of the Aperture Science Labs and be reunited with GLaDOS, the occasionally murderous computer companion who guided them through the original game. The game’s two-player cooperative mode features its own entirely separate campaign with a unique story, test chambers, and two new player characters. This new mode forces players to reconsider everything they thought they knew about portals. Success will require them to not just act cooperatively, but to think cooperatively.

Lol I feel somewhat disappointed, I would much prefer episode 3. Still great news I guess, maybe this will come inside an Orange Box 2.

Pffff. We know Episode 3 is coming eventually. And they're so slow with it that we've practically gotten bored of waiting anyway.

But this is Portal 2. That's more Portal!! Portal is a mindblowingly awesome game, the only thing it's lacking is replayability of the main story mode. A sequel is like... the ultimate solution to that.

110209-portal2.jpg

Gameinformer scans are the hard to see images from BBS.

1267938479707.jpg

29yqfx1.jpg

1267938564447.jpg

1267938606503.jpg

1267938653388.jpg

1267938720444.jpg

The game takes place hundreds of years after the original. Hence why the Aperture centure looks a lot like a jungle possibly.

GlaDOS returns as the main villain, with the subject from the last game, Chell, coming back to be the protagonist.

The co-op campaign is separate from the main story in the game. It lets you play as two bipedal robots.

Those personality cores thrown into the fire at the end of the last game? They’ve shut off areas of the Aperture lab and made it their own.

Physics has a bigger role this time, with one demo showing a portal could be used from an air vent to suck air from one area to an another.

Reflection cubes will be added to the game for laser-based puzzles.

Valve had no idea Portal 1 would be so big.

The original Portal was seen as a “test bed”. The sequel will be a fully fledged title.

Edited by Dante

That sounds awesome, I can't wait to see how they'll explain the centuries gap between both games.

Pffff. We know Episode 3 is coming eventually. And they're so slow with it that we've practically gotten bored of waiting anyway.

But this is Portal 2. That's more Portal!! Portal is a mindblowingly awesome game, the only thing it's lacking is replayability of the main story mode. A sequel is like... the ultimate solution to that.

I loved Portal and it's mind blowing mechanics, but I'm much more attached to the HL2 story, and it doesn't help the wait the cliffhanger at the end of episode 2.

Also,

1267978450283.png

wheatly.png

Portal 2 is set after Half-Life 2 before Ep 1 and 2?

Valve using VGCats comic idea.

GI_59_sentry.jpg

071114.jpg

The game takes place hundreds of years after the original. Hence why the Aperture centure looks a lot like a jungle possibly.

GlaDOS returns as the main villain, with the subject from the last game, Chell, coming back to be the protagonist.

How? Is she not a mere human and therefore could not exist for that period of time...

How? Is she not a mere human and therefore could not exist for that period of time...

She was in stasis in the first game and she was captured by one of robots in the adding ending of Portal and put into stasis again until she is awaken by personality core called Wheatley.

Better details:

Single Player Details

- Stand alone, full-priced retail release

- GLaDOS and Chell return

- Portal 2 takes place well after the events in Half-Life 2

- Portal 2 takes place hundreds of years after the events in Portal

- The labs are in various stages of decay with plant life taking over many areas of the facility

- The AI cores (seen previously at the end of game cutscene in Portal) have been tasked with rebuilding the facility

- One such core, Wheatley, serves as a preliminary guide at the start of the game

- Wheatley, fed up with his rather limited lifestyle promises to aid Chell in her escape if she helps "him"

- Wheatley will be carried through some of the earliest areas of the game and can be used to open various areas of the lab to bypass obstacles

- Chell encounters GLaDOS rather early on in the game: "Oh, it's you. It's been a long time. How have you been? I've been really busy being dead. You know, after you murdered me? (...) Okay look, we both said a lot of things that you are going to regret. But I think we should put our differences behind us. For science. You monster.

- Chell no longer sports the orange jumpsuit

- "Vital Apparatus Vents" are tubes with strong suction that Chell can use to her advantage. Place one portal at the suction area and another near some debris that needs cleared and a vortex of objects is sucked out of the room through the portal.

- Tractor beams are new and can be used to help Chell reach otherwise unreachable areas

- "Projected bridges" are translucent bridges that can be redirected through portals

- "Paint" has been added and does react to the physics of a portal

- Orange paint rockets Chell at high speeds

- Blue paint acts as a trampoline like substance and can even be used to coat cubes to send them bouncing around

- Aerial Faith Plates act as spring boards to send Chell flying

- Redirection cubes have reflective sides to bounce laser beams at angles

- Weighted Storage Balls

- Due to the state of the facility, GLaDOS is often forced to send you behind the scenes of the test chambers to make your way to the next area

- Erik Wolpaw, Chet Faliszek, and Jay Pinkerton (National Lampoon) are the main writers on Portal 2

- Music will play a bigger role this time around. Players will find new songs throughout the game through various means.

- Jonathan Coulton will be involved

Multiplayer Details

- Separate, full-length co-op campaign

- Play as one of two bipedal robots

- One is made of a personality core, the other is made from a turret

- Each player will have a portal gun (yes, four portals at once) with either player able to use the other's portal when needed

- Either split-screen or online play with a picture in picture option to see what your partner is doing

- Co-op maps will be more difficult than the single player maps due to the nature of communication and bouncing of ideas off of partners

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost