NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darkjak

Recommend me some J-rock and J-rap

In all honesty, most mainstream j-rock and j-rap sucks complete ass (which is the kind of stuff you hear on animes).

But you can't go wrong with The Pillows (Little Busters, Runners High and Happy Bivouac are their best albums, I especially recommend Runners High) or B'z. Then there's also Asian Kung-Fu Generation, their first 2 albums are ok, but it's always the same thing. And there's little else on the mainstream that isn't terribly corny.

If, however, you are interested in Japanese music in general, there's plenty great stuff out there. I'm not gonna recommend to you Boris or Merzbow or Masonna, because I pretty much know you're not gonna like them, but stuff like Coaltar Of The Deepers, Number Girl, Zazen Boys or Polysics you could give a quick listen to and decide for yourself. But yeah, musically, japan is quite prolific when it comes to extreme music like Melt Banana and Fuck On The Beach, but I can tell that's not your thing.

As for J-Rap, you can't go wrong with Nujabes:

(this one has no MC)

ALSO, everyone should listen to these guys below!

I've always been very partial to some Mad Capsule Markets

Osc-Dis was pretty much their only good album.

The Pillows

all u need

Ooh, aye, forgot about them. Yeah, they're mint.

This stuns, if only for the imperfect immaculateness:

Um...that's K-Pop.

You know, KOREAN!

You racist. :wink:

Osc-Dis was pretty much their only good album.

Well, I've only got the '1990-1996' and '1997-2004' compilation albums at the moment. (The second one is much, much better, mind.) So I can't say I know much about it. :blush:

Asians aren't really good at music, they don't have much musical ability, unless we are talking about orchestral music or traditional east asian music using traditional instruments.

So basically, you're saying that they aren't good at producing music which has some sort of ideational content...yet they're good at producing music without an interface on the level of ideas (without words, or any attached semantics or ideology, like the whole rock or pop image etc).

And you're from the U.K, I'm presuming.

Doesn't that just strike you as being because you're unable to understand the culture? Since popular music is just an extension of various cultural traits of its time.

Anyway: This is so badass :heh:

Edited by The Bard

So basically, you're saying that they aren't good at producing music which has some sort of ideational content...yet they're good at producing music without an interface on the level of ideas (without words, or any attached semantics or ideology, like the whole rock or pop image etc).

And you're from the U.K, I'm presuming.

Doesn't that just strike you as being because you're unable to understand the culture? Since popular music is just an extension of various cultural traits of its time.

Anyway: This is so badass :heh:

Yeah, you are making a very good point and that probably has a lot to do with it. I also think that there's less of a market for certain genres in that part of the world due to people's different 'musical' preferences. Young girl groups are a good joke and a good example!

Oh man so many shit music in this thread. Time to restore balance in the world:

I'm not familiar with Japanese rap. Look for some Nujabes stuff I guess.

I so much wanted to post some, but while being upgraded to a top broadband package my speed has dropped to sub 1 meg so no youtube for me.

So all I can say is +1 to Oxigen for Nujabes.

+2 to Echo for Hyde count down and DAT.

Why no Asian Kungfu Generation yet?

**Edit +1 Raining for some Asian style Kungfu

Edited by Ten10

I so much wanted to post some, but while being upgraded to a top broadband package my speed has dropped to sub 1 meg so no youtube for me.

So all I can say is +1 to Oxigen for Nujabes.

+2 to Echo for Hyde count down and DAT.

Why no Asian Kungfu Generation yet?

*cough*

10char

Sign in to follow this