NEurope
chairdriver

Great People

I'm reading this maths book, and I'm actually stunned by what I read. So, I thought of making a thread to honour those people in history and who are alive today who are just too big, who are just too great - in the latin magnus sense of the word great, not the weak-positive sense tinged with indifference it's kind of adopted today.

Carl Friedrich Gauss - The Prince Of Mathematicians - 1777 - 1855

468px-Carl_Friedrich_Gauss.jpg

A child prodigy, at Primary School he showed the sum of the first 100 numbers (1+2+3+...+100) is equal to 5050, within minutes of having been posed the question, using a method no one had thought of before.

Aged 15, he proved that a 17 sided regular polygon can be drawn with just a ruler and compass, making him only person ever to have made any advancement in elementary geometry since the Greeks. (He was so pleased with this discovery that he asked it to be carved onto his tombstone, however, the stonemason declined, because it would just look like a circle without huge amounts of intricacy when carving.)

He invented modular arithmetic, which is too essential. (We actually use modular arithmetic day-to-day when we deal with clock times - after 12, you go back to 0.)

He proved that every number can be written as the sum of at most three triangle numbers.

He proved the fundamental theory of algebra.

In 1801 he predicted where the newly discovered dwarf planet Ceres would again appear in the sky, allowing it to be refound - his methods now forming the cornerstone of astronomical computation. Also he used the method of least squares, which now appears all over science.

He invented the Heliotrope.

He hypothesised about non-Euclidean geometries, which form the basis of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

He did shitloads of stuff to do with curve theory and differential geometry. And loads of other stuff too.

He's just too big.

Gauss is one of the many too-often forgotten people who played an essential role in making our understanding of the world what it is.

I'll put forward my contribution when less tired - I've been up all night...

King Dennis Bergkamp I of Highbury

article004595ff70000044.jpg

A truly great man, simply known by the people as God.

I'm fully aware how much football dictates my life.

Edited by Ramar

I'll go for Ludwig Wittgenstein:

Wittgenstein1930.jpg

During World War I he fought for the Austro-Hungarian empire, requesting to be sent to the front line, and while there wrote one of the most important books ever written on philosophy, the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, which consists of a complex system of numbered propostions that combine to putatively solve all the problems of philosophy. Having written this, he considered philosophy "finished," and went away to be an obscure teacher, but later changed his mind totally and wrote a second equally famous book refuting his earlier one, Philosophical Investigations. He was also a fascinating person, who was brilliant at anything technical he but his mind too, yet didn't seem to fit the mould of the world. Oh, and a Russell quotatation about him: "the most perfect example I have ever known of genius as traditionally conceived, passionate, profound, intense, and dominating".

Coming up later: Charles Darwin, Srinivasa Ramanujan, Noam Chomsky (and not for his politics :heh:).

Edited by Supergrunch

hunter.jpg

My concept of death for a long time was to come down that mountain road at 120 and just keep going straight right there, burst out through the barrier and hang out above all that . . . and there I'd be, sitting in the front seat, stark naked, with a case of whiskey next to me and a case of dynamite in the trunk . . . honking the horn, and the lights on, and just sit there in space for an instant, a human bomb, and fall down into that mess of steel mills. It'd be a tremendous goddam explosion. No pain. No one would get hurt. I'm pretty sure, unless they've changed the highway, that launching place is still there. As soon as I get home, I ought to take the drive just to check it out.

Hunter S Thompson - All I have is awe for him.

Nikola Tesla

223828-infamous_super.jpg*

Nikola Tesla (10 July 1856 – 7 January 1943) was an inventor and a mechanical and electrical engineer. He was one of the most important contributors to the birth of commercial electricity and considered by some to be a mad scientist.

His credits and contributions include the radio, AC power, remote control, wireless electricity, spark plugs and even death rays (particle beam weapons)

Most of this is taken from wikipedia but the man's work cant be understated.

*may or may not be Nikola Tesla

Sun Wu Kong

sunwukong.jpg

ok ok, he isn't exactly a person, but he is more intelligent, witty and cunning than any person that has ever existed.

Er, he also isn't real... :heh:

I'm confused by the also...who in named in this thread isn't real besides Sun Wu Kong?

I'll go for William James Sidis. I can't be bothered to post anything about him at the moment, but I may do later (unless somebody else does).

I'm reading this maths book, and I'm actually stunned by what I read. So, I thought of making a thread to honour those people in history and who are alive today who are just too big, who are just too great - in the latin magnus sense of the word great, not the weak-positive sense tinged with indifference it's kind of adopted today.

Carl Friedrich Gauss - The Prince Of Mathematicians - 1777 - 1855

468px-Carl_Friedrich_Gauss.jpg

A child prodigy, at Primary School he showed the sum of the first 100 numbers (1+2+3+...+100) is equal to 5050, within minutes of having been posed the question, using a method no one had thought of before.

Aged 15, he proved that a 17 sided regular polygon can be drawn with just a ruler and compass, making him only person ever to have made any advancement in elementary geometry since the Greeks. (He was so pleased with this discovery that he asked it to be carved onto his tombstone, however, the stonemason declined, because it would just look like a circle without huge amounts of intricacy when carving.)

He invented modular arithmetic, which is too essential. (We actually use modular arithmetic day-to-day when we deal with clock times - after 12, you go back to 0.)

He proved that every number can be written as the sum of at most three triangle numbers.

He proved the fundamental theory of algebra.

In 1801 he predicted where the newly discovered dwarf planet Ceres would again appear in the sky, allowing it to be refound - his methods now forming the cornerstone of astronomical computation. Also he used the method of least squares, which now appears all over science.

He invented the Heliotrope.

He hypothesised about non-Euclidean geometries, which form the basis of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

He did shitloads of stuff to do with curve theory and differential geometry. And loads of other stuff too.

He's just too big.

Somebody's been watching Horizon?

I'm confused by the also...who in named in this thread isn't real besides Sun Wu Kong?

Pyxis said he didn't count because he's not a human, Grunch said that he also isn't real.

Er, he also isn't real... :heh:

He is the Fighting Buddha and Buddhism states that whatever you believe in is real. Life is an illusion. We all have our buddha nature and Wukong lives within every one of us.

Sun Wukong has been so influential, for so many people and for so many generations... Surely he has had a greater influence on humanity than any of those football players or mathematicians. As a historical figure, he is more important than any of them, despite never having existed... What a clever monkey!

*kowtows to the Great Sage*

BTW: I'm only joking... You guys know that somebody is going to say Bjork and I just pre-empted that.:p

Edited by Pyxis

I'll go for William James Sidis. I can't be bothered to post anything about him at the moment, but I may do later (unless somebody else does).

Somebody's been watching Horizon?

Pyxis said he didn't count because he's not a human, Grunch said that he also isn't real.

Ah, yes, I remember reading about Sidis. It's quite amazing how intelligent he was.

Good as place as any...

the-communist-manifesto.jpg

150 years old today.

Discuss the work/writers/implications.

Or ignore.

Any chance of explaining what they have actually contributed to society?

Most definitely.

Dennis Bergkamp was an international superstar, he'd won numourous trophies in Holland with Ajax. He then moved to Inter Milan where he won his second Uefa Cup at the age of 25, after an uneasy time there he moved to Arsenal for £7.5m. Now at the time Arsenal were struggling in the league, mid-table, boring and under the worst manager the club has ever had, Mr Bruce Rioch. It was a shock transfer, the man probably could have walked into any team at the time.

He instantly transformed the Gunners from a 1-0 side to a technical pass and move team. Not just that but he attracted other great players because they wanted to be on the same team as him. He inspired a generation of football unprecedented in the record books and was instrumental to our 49 game unbeaten run. All this whilst being the most modest, polite and hard working professional a club could ask for. (Excluding elbows to Lee Bowyers face, but he's a **** anyway).

He is responsible for the Premier League's greatest ever goal to date, best international commentary you'll ever hear. And for us winning more Premier League titles than Spurs and Chelsea put together.

If it wasn't for this man the club would not be where it is, simple as that. Whilst he didn't invent something, or make a fantastic scientific or mathematical breakthrough. I would definitely class this man as a sporting genius, his vision and technical ability are unrivalled. And if making a few peoples lives that much better on a Saturday afternoon isn't contributing society what is.

It's actually taken me 30 minutes to put this together because I had too much to say.

I couldn't agree more with Ramar's post.

Dennis Bergkamp is a footballing genius; He's got such an understanding of the beautiful game and was an absolute pleasure to watch play. Not only was he able to see things other players (at the top of the game) would never see, he also had the ability to pull it off on the pitch.

All that, and as Ramar said, a gentleman into the bargain.

I think i've got a guy crush :hehe:

Discuss the work/writers/implications.

Have you got a lifetime or two?

forget your over paid nancy boys kicking a ball across a lawn, forget your mathematicians wasting thier lives playign with numbers, forget your writters who say so much and do nothing. theres only one man we need respect.

MR MIYAGI

mr-miyagi.jpg

What are the numbers which can't be explained with as most 3 triangle numbers?

Nikola Tesla

I only know of him because of Tesla Coils from C&C[?]

What are the numbers which can't be explained with as most 3 triangle numbers?

I don't understand what you're asking? Every integer can.

5 = 3 + 1 + 1

11 = 10 + 1

27 = 21 + 6

89 = 78 + 10 + 1

etc etc

(I suppose number systems "higher" than integers can't, but it's implicit in the question that integers are being dealt with).

King Dennis Bergkamp I of Highbury

article004595ff70000044.jpg

A truly great man, simply known by the people as God.

I'm fully aware how much football dictates my life.

THIS. :grin:

Also;

IMGP0521.jpg?t=1266799524

:p