NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

My mom was clearing out our basement today and came across the following:

49SDENh.jpg

She asked me whether she could throw them away.

I politely told her to shut her whore mouth. I didn't, but made it very clear to her that she COULD NOT throw them away :p

Sadly the one with the 'screen shield' doesn't work :( I may take that thing off and glue it to the working GameBoy : peace:

I didn't have a lot of games, as it seems but there are some classics :laughing:

1Dr85e0.jpg

g96AdEE.jpg

I think I had more GBA games, though. Will have to search for them...hope they aren't gone :(

And...well...

rm3cJY9.jpg

I played this game to death, but could never find the last Heart Piece :(

I think I was 6 years old...so in retrospect it's actually quite awesome that I finished the game :D

Now the picture of shame:

f8x8aSs.jpg

Apparently I was one of those kids who thought that the main character was called "Zelda" :shakehead:shakehead

This is where it all began:

of course not as a Speedrun :D

Because of that Super Mario Land copy on my GameBoy, video games became my biggest hobby. And I regret fucking nothing :bowdown:

I actually have just finished this again. Oh the feels.

Edited by drahkon

Just won my other auction for the day, probably be my last for a while. Dreamcast with Shenmue 1 and 2.

Anyone else play (and fall in love with) this gem back on the NES?

gfs_84887_2_10.jpg

Man what a game, played it a few times at my cousins as a kid(on an amiga? maybe? iono) and I was always in love with it for some reason. I remember one time getting an umbrella or something and everyone just being like 'woah wtf' (because ofc as kids we were too retarded to actually succeed to any decent amount).

Man. Now I'm wanting me some Bubble Bobble.

@Rummy Bubble Bobble! The first game I played in an arcade too!

Anybody have any suggestions for a good RGB Scart to HDMI converter? My TV's SCART inputs don't seem to be up to scratch so I'm finally starting to consider buying one.

Just won my other auction for the day, probably be my last for a while. Dreamcast with Shenmue 1 and 2.

I hope you're enjoying it! I still have yet to play Shenmue 1 and 2 but have such a SEGA itch lately that I really want to get back into the Dreamcast scene.

I did get one two years ago and it worked fine for a while, also let me play some amazing games, like the original Space Channel 5 and POWER STONE but it started to get a bit funny reading discs. 30 Mins into Sonic Shuffle it just crashed, then it kept loading stuff too slow in games like Crazy Taxi 2 and eventually the sound just totally stopped working too, weird. But it was only £20 for the console and looked a bit beaten and used when I got it so I could do with just re-investing!

On the subject of SEGA though, my local game shop GAME CAVE, used to just do 360, PS3 and some Wii stuff, has now started stocking retro stuff again. No Nintendo stuff yet but LOADS of Mega Drive games. It's making me wonder whether I should invest in a Mega Drive or just leave it, as I think I have most of the games I want on 360 from the Live Arcade now anyway.

I'll see how I feel the next time I'm going past there :p

I hope you're enjoying it! I still have yet to play Shenmue 1 and 2 but have such a SEGA itch lately that I really want to get back into the Dreamcast scene.

Unfortunately I havent been able to play it yet past testing to make sure the system works. I stupidly decided to save Shenmue to play during Extra Life next month and the wait is killing me! Damn game just sits on my shelf mocking me.

@Happenstance Oh no! You'll have to keep yourself occupied in Tomodachi Life until then :P You should give me the link when you start playing it though, I'd love to watch a play through!

@Happenstance Oh no! You'll have to keep yourself occupied in Tomodachi Life until then :P You should give me the link when you start playing it though, I'd love to watch a play through!

Keep an eye on the Extra Life thread on the 25th of October then, the streams are in there. I expect @Goafer will also be playing his Dreamcast during the event, he still has to finish Skies of Arcadia.

Awesome, I will!

And what timing, today is the 15th anniversary of the Dreamcast!!

jet_set_radio_dreamcast_3.jpg

My mom was clearing out our basement today and came across the following:

She asked me whether she could throw them away.

I politely told her to shut her whore mouth. I didn't, but made it very clear to her that she COULD NOT throw them away :p

Sadly the one with the 'screen shield' doesn't work :( I may take that thing off and glue it to the working GameBoy : peace:

I didn't have a lot of games, as it seems but there are some classics :laughing:

I think I had more GBA games, though. Will have to search for them...hope they aren't gone :(

And...well...

I played this game to death, but could never find the last Heart Piece :(

I think I was 6 years old...so in retrospect it's actually quite awesome that I finished the game :D

Now the picture of shame:

Apparently I was one of those kids who thought that the main character was called "Zelda" :shakehead:shakehead

This is where it all began:

of course not as a Speedrun :D

Because of that Super Mario Land copy on my GameBoy, video games became my biggest hobby. And I regret fucking nothing :bowdown:

I actually have just finished this again. Oh the feels.

I feel you with Super Mario Land!!! As a kid, I could never really finish it (I got to Wario, but never beat him, always ran out of lives), but after picking the game up after about 12 years, it's an easy game to play, but always fun to pick up, no matter how short the game is!

Your save games are still intact? That's a win right there. : peace:

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing. My Link's Awakening back up battery died a long long time ago. Thank god for the 3DS version.

Feeling really antsy for some arcade gaming goodness so I splooged on a bunch of arcade games for my Wii, PS3 and 360 that I still needed to pick up, including....

US Wii (all Neogeo VC)

Shock Troopers

Shock Troopers 2nd Squad

Ironclad

Spinmaster

Top Hunter

Magical Drop 2 (already have MG3 before you ask :p )

Metal Slug 4

JPN Wii

Pulstar (Neogeo VC)

Blazing Star (Neogeo VC)

Puyo Puyo Tsu (Virtual Console Arcade)

Mr Do! (Virtual Console Arcade)

PS3

Virtua On: Cyber Troopers

Mushihimesama Futari

Espgaluda 2

Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Now to turn to my trusty Tatsucap arcade stick and revel in some classic arcade goodness! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Wasn't sure where to post this, anyway...

I was speaking to a guy at work yesterday and he asked me what I look for when I go to car boots (he's new to the office and must have heard it mentioned that I go to them regularly). Told him I look for retro consoles, mega drive, super nintendo etc. So he said "Oh, I've got a mega drive and some games in the cupboard at home somewhere, I'll bring them in" and so he did...

SN853301_zpsqsfpddvn.jpg

Not a bad set of games, I've been wanting to play Quackshot again for years. First time I've come across Rolo to the Rescue. By the same guys who did James Pond going by the animation style.

Got to test the games but it doesn't sound he wants much for them so I'll buy them all to bulk up my collection.

I was hoping for some ultra rare titles but they'll do.

I had Rolo to the Rescue when I was a kid. I loved it at the time, although I haven't played it for ages so I can't comment on how well it plays now.

Quackshot is a god tier game. I have so many good memories of it and the soundtrack is awesome. It's a big reason why I crave buying a Megadrive from time to time.

I just watched the Rayman Speedrun from this year's Summer GDQ and remembered that I used to play the original Rayman and Rayman Junior a lot when I was a kid. :)

Rayman Junior was basically a teaching game for children with the familiar Rayman Jump'n'Run Gameplay. There are several versions/variations which have been released for MS-DOS starting in 1996. I was 6 then.

I remember playing Rayman Junior to death :laughing: Since I was a pretty smart kid I was able to do the maths you learn in primary school at the age of 5-6 so these levels were a bit boring for me.

There were also levels which taught you some English words and simple English expressions:

It really helped me to dive into a different language in my early years. :)

Rayman Junior was scary for me, though, because whenever you choose a wrong answer you die a horrible and a very sudden death :laughing: It was some kind of negative reenforcement :laughing:

I also played the original Rayman on PC. I remember it being freaking difficult. :shakehead But somehow I made it through as a kid. :yay:

The game has some glorious tunes:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Ohh the nostalgia :)

Anyone remember this? The greatest wrestling game ever!

Still own it, amazing game. The amount of different ways to pull off the diamond cutter still amazes me.

Up there with WWF Wrestlefest and the 2 WWF N64 THQ games (Wrestlemania & No Mercy).

I was never a WCW guy but Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy are still my two favourite wrestling games ever.

Just grabbed meself a copy of Billy Hatcher. Always been meaning to, never got round to it. Nice little game! A bit half baked (pun intended) in some places but mostly solid stuff. I'm up to world 4 and really quite enjoying it so far :)

Sure it has a few problems (can be hard to judge distances with some jumps with the dodgy shadows, a few physics/collision quirks here and there) but it's pretty original and generally good fun outside of a few duff level design moments that don't really gel.

Also, screw everyone who disagrees! The main theme is awesome!

LA LA LA LALA LA LA LA LALALA LA LA LALA LA!!!! :D

A real shame that we don't see experimental, quirky and odd ball games like this at retail anymore :(

Edited by Dcubed

Anyone else play (and fall in love with) this gem back on the NES?

gfs_84887_2_10.jpg

Absolutely love it. One of my friends played this game so much he still knows the order of the levels and exactly what enemies etc appear in them. Insane.