NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

I never really realised it until watching this video, but Soul Calibur DC and TTT PS2 are basically sister games to each other.  TTT PS2 is exactly the same thing to the PS2 as what SC DC was to the DC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sega Lord X  with his second video of The Worst Sega Saturn Games and there are some truly atrocious examples, especially towards the end. :D

Yeah, Super Paper Mario was the start of the decline of the series. The first 2 are something very special and Nintendo haven't been able to recapture that quality. Colour Splash, while very fun, doesn't come close to the perfection of the N64 and Gamecube games. Paper Mario and TTYD were chocked full of interesting characters that had fantastic designs, whereas we've been stuck with normal looking Mario enemies and allies for the newer entries of the series.

It still baffles me that Nintendo have all of these great Gamecube games but have no intention of either making some kind of Virtual Console for them or giving them a new lick of paint and remastering them. TTYD, Super Mario Sunshine, Baten Kaitos, Wave Race: Blue Storm, 1080 Avalanche, Star Fox Adventures, Chibi-Robo!, Batallion Wars...the list goes on. :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At least it's not in "release everything" September so my wallet is happy.

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

I'm sat browsing ebay for retro goods (as you do) and came across a listing for Shining Force 3. I already own the game but I had a look at it anyway. The listing has this as it's description.

SEGA Saturn - Shining Force 3 (a.k.a. Shining Force III) - PAL CIB - boxed RARE. Condition is Good. Some scuffs on case. Check pics for full condition

Here is the actual game for sale.

Yeah, just a few scuffs. :laughing:

• Haha 2

Last Gamer is back... at 11PM tonight. :D

Looking forward to this. :smile:

A nice video from Madlittlepixel comparing the GBA consolizer to the Game Boy Interface over HDMI.

This just further reminds me that I need to get my GC set up with the Game Boy Interface either over component or HDMI.

What's worse is that I have all the stuff needed to get it all running, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Thanks 1

I picked up a few retro JRPGs this week. I've been after these for a while now and managed to get them in mint and sealed condition.

The Star Ocean games is a series I have yet to get into but have always wanted to. The guy I bought this off also threw in the bonus preorder DVD, which was nice of him.

EAfWGwEXsAIYdeT?format=jpg&name=small

EAfWmHTWkAEZ2vz?format=jpg&name=small

Breath of Fire is another classic JRPG series that I would like to try out. I heard that the first 4 games were classical in their approach but the fifth game was quite unique. That being the case I figured I would give that one a whirl.

EAfX3-LWkAAiA_6?format=jpg&name=small

I've been in a PSO mood ever since the reveal at E3 that the 2nd game was heading over to the West...at least the US. I figured it was about to try out Phantasy Star Portable on the PSP. Out of the three games I think this is the one i'm going to start playing first.

EAfXSTWWsAErHZU?format=jpg&name=small

I also made a couple of other purchases but they haven't arrived yet and i've got my eye on a couple more which end this weekend/early next week. One of them ended last night but I was unable to put a bid in due to having to drive to London and back for work. Luckily when I got home I seen that nobody put a bid in and the item has been relisted so i'll have another chance to win it. :yay:

• Thanks 2

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/unauthorised_translations_of_the_satoru_iwata_book_will_be_subject_to_criminal_charges

Looks like the Satoru Iwata book is getting localised!

"We are honored to receive many inquiries and requests from our readers considering the translated version of 'Iwata-san'", it reads. "Currently, nothing is definite yet, but we are preparing publication of 'Iwata-san' in various languages in consultation with Tuttle-Mori Agency".

Woo! :D 

• Like 1

My other two purchases arrived today.

I always wanted to see how the Xeno games started so I finally picked this up.

EBDI5EzW4AI_14_?format=jpg&name=large

After watching the Sega Lord X video I went on the hunt for Mystaria and luckily I found a mint copy that had very few bids on it. I imagine it's due to not many people knowing about it. 

EBCeVx8WsAAe312?format=jpg&name=large

• Thanks 1

Considering getting a mini projector to mostly use with my retro collection. Just trying to figure out now where I can create some wall space to use it.

44 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Considering getting a mini projector to mostly use with my retro collection. Just trying to figure out now where I can create some wall space to use it.

I thought about doing that once, and then quickly realised that I have no free wall space at all, but if you do have the space for one, I hear they are pretty good. :smile:

On 02/08/2019 at 12:46 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

lve been in a PSO mood ever since the reveal at E3 that the 2nd game was heading over to the West...at least the US. I figured it was about to try out Phantasy Star Portable on the PSP. Out of the three games I think this is the one i'm going to start playing first.

EAfXSTWWsAErHZU?format=jpg&name=small

I think it's that one that is basically just the Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus expansion, but made standalone and ported to PSP.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 was its own unique game I think.

Edit: Ignore me, I think it carries on the story after AotI and PSP2 is a standalone plot.

Edited by Goafer
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I thought about doing that once, and then quickly realised that I have no free wall space at all, but if you do have the space for one, I hear they are pretty good. :smile:

Been thinking about it more and what I'm now planning on doing it getting one of the cheaper weighted bar screens which just let you use hooks. That way I can attached hooks to my curtain rail, my bookcase, back wall and then use the screen wherever I feel like watching it that day.

• Thanks 1

What a game. I'll always remember being ill, staying off school and playing this on my C64. I played it all day and ended up completing it. Clearly I wasn't that sick. :D 

• Like 4

I think I got quite far a few times but never actually completed it as a kid. Might have to put it on later and give it another try.

Bought a cheap lightning deal projector from Amazon to test out in my room before I spend money on a much better version. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

A nice video from shesez of Boundary Break fame, this time looking at Dragon Quest, it's not really in-depth or anything but I found it interesting. :D

There are a couple of cameos in there towards the end as well including one from Happy Console Gamer which was nice to see. :smile:

All of this just reminds me that I have a lot of Dragon Quest to catch up on... :blush:

• Thanks 1

Well this is a nice surprise! Turns out that Konami lied when they said that the TG16 mini was going to have 50 games... because it actually has 57!

The additional 7 games include...

Tengai Makyou II MARU
Galaga '88
Dragon Spirit
Genpei Toumaden
Splatterhouse
Valkyrie no Densetsu
Seirei Senshi Spriggan
Spriggan mkII

They also confirmed that it is indeed M2 who is making this thing!

Also, this thing includes the little bonus screens and content that happens when you used the wrong system card originally...

BXu1HNB.gif

Pretty neat! Especially since Rondo of Blood actually gave you a mini bonus stage when you did this! 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Sega Lord X with a video on Sega Related Projects in 2019 which really highlights that we've got a lot to look forward to this year. :D

• Thanks 1