NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Fucking what? SoA is a gosh darn elite tier game. Perverts, all of you.

• Like 1

Well, I consider Skies of Arcadia to be more of a Dreamcast game, so if we were doing a top ten Dreamcast games then definitely.

It seems the DC version is still regarded as the best version overall as well due to the horribly compressed sound of the GC version. :(

Now, I have to say that while I own both versions, it was the Dreamcast version I played originally so I haven't played the GC version for myself but just listen to this...

The difference is clear to me and while I'm curious to compare both versions for myself as I still can't quite believe it, if this comparison is an accurate one then I can see why people would prefer to play the DC version as the difference in sound is definitely enough to detract from the overall enjoyment of the game.

This is why there really, really needs to be a Skies of Arcade HD remaster, using the DC version as the base, but taking the extras from the GC version.

If any company could do it, I'd bet that it would be M2 and if they did do it then they could charge nearly full whack for a retail release and it would be worth every penny. :peace:

Whilst I can hear a difference in that video, I recently completed the GC version and I never even noticed the sound quality. It has been ages since I played the DC version though.

Despite the audio issue, the GameCube version is still the definitive version, IMO. The lower encounter rate for the random battles, better visuals and the extra bosses are more than enough to make up for its shortcomings. Still, it's an amazing game whatever version you play.

Hmm, this is why I want to do a sound comparison myself as I can't quite believe it either, also I'm wondering if I might get different results with the GC hdmi adapter I have due to the audio being processed slightly differently... probably not as the source audio presumably is still the same, I don't know really... I'm just clutching at straws.

It's just a damn shame, as otherwise the GC version is without a doubt the definitive version but I still don't understand why we haven't had a HD remaster by now.

Just watched the A Dream Cast documentaries.  Fantastic stuff! Incredibly well produced and highly recommended watching for any SEGA fan! :D 

Was very sad to see them all reflect on the Dreamcast's failure... There was a real sense of sombre about them as they discussed the console's failure :( 

Now watching some of Archipel's other documentaries and they're all brilliant! Strongly recommended!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Despite the audio issue, the GameCube version is still the definitive version, IMO. The lower encounter rate for the random battles, better visuals and the extra bosses are more than enough to make up for its shortcomings. Still, it's an amazing game whatever version you play.

Agreed.  The music compression (while bad on GCN) is ultimately a very minor issue in the grand scheme of things.  Legends is clearly the version that the development team originally wanted to make; and the new content was clearly always meant to be there from the very beginning (but just cut out due to time/budget constraints).  It's not like your typical, throwaway extra content you normally see in an RPG re-release (like the crappy extra stuff in Chrono Trigger DS); but rather it's stuff that is absolutely integral to the game experience and I absolutely couldn't imagine Skies of Arcadia without Piastol, or the Wanted List.  It is major content that should've always been there from the beginning.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

Sega Lord X with a video about EA on the Saturn but don't worry, there are no "surprise mechanics" in any of these titles. ;)

• Haha 1

Last Gamer - The Return! Yep, after four months, Joel is back and making videos again (or soon enough anyway) I've really enjoyed his videos in the past so this is excellent news. :D

The new Games Room looks amazing, even though it's just a whistle-stop tour, really nice to see all of those games with the box-arts on display. :heart:

The full list of games for the TG16 Mini has been revealed... and it’s quite the list!

Unlike other previous mini consoles, all regional variants of the TG16 mini will include ALL the available games.  So there are 24 US versions of games and 26 Japanese ones here... including Rondo of Blood!!

US:

• Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lasers
  • Bomberman '93
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I & II

JP:

• Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk's Adventure)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I & II

The bad news? It’s only being sold exclusively through Amazon now...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pc-engine-mini-turbografx-16-mini-to-be-sold-exclusively-through-amazon.128617/

The console will be available exclusively on Amazon from March 19th 2020, with an Amazon Prime exclusive pre-order period starting from July 15th.
TurboGrafx-16 mini will be released in the Americas.
PC Engine Core Grafx mini will be released in select European countries.
PC Engine mini, Turbografx-16 mini, and PC Engine Core Grafx mini are only available on Amazon.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

My reaction to this...

"Oh nice, they put all of the games on all of the system variants, where do I pre-ord... :D

...:blank:

...only available on Amazon? Oh well... I didn't need it that much anyway." ::shrug:

In all seriousness though, I have most of the games on the Wii VC so, I don't have to get this but I might pick one up one day if it becomes more widely available. :smile:

Or second-hand "as good as new" off eBay once the price calms down if the unit sells out and gets snapped up by scalpers. :p

I would have hoped that won't happen though, not with the TurboGrafx-16 mini, it's a cool thing but I can't see it going mad price-wise like the NES classic did.

Then again, hopefully more than enough will be manufactured of this unit as I'm sure that had something to do with it. ;)

But if there's anyone who is only interested in only five of those games, the titles are so good that I'd say it's a worthwhile purchase.:peace:

Sega Lord X has put up a video about his personal experiences with the original Japanese Mega Drive version of Strider which is well worth a watch. :D

If only the TG16 Mini had a translated version of Snatcher... So close, yet so far...

Konami got M2 to localise Kid Dracula for the Castlevania Collection; surely it’s not impossible for them to transplant the SEGA CD English script into the TGCD version!?

Found a decent condition copy of Phantasy Star II!

y4miLf4hHT7BNCAdhLnu3ohm1othontMAz8Frzvx

Also picked up Japanese versions o DQI&II, DQIII, Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Tara's Journey and Pokemon Green. Should make some good Japanese practice. Someday.

They also had a Japanese copy of PSO Ep 1 & 2 Plus but it was £45, if it was cheaper I would have picked it up.

• Like 4

The Happy Console Gamer has made a video on finally getting to play Trials of Mana 24 years later. :D

I can't wait to play it myself, only another... five weeks until the physical release. :sad:

• Like 1

Sega Lord X with a video about Easily Overlooked Games on the Sega Saturn which features some pretty interesting titles. :smile:

• Thanks 1

DF Retro: Turok Dinosaur Hunter well worth a watch, I can't wait for the Limited Run physical version on the Switch. :D

Sega Lord X looks at some awesome "New" Saturn and Dreamcast games, plus some aftermarket published games.

On 7/14/2019 at 11:19 PM, S.C.G said:

Sega Lord X with a video about Easily Overlooked Games on the Sega Saturn which features some pretty interesting titles. :smile:

I wouldn't say Athlete Kings or Pocket Fighter are overlooked games. Both are well known by a lot of gamers, although Pocket Fighter is better known as a PlayStation gamer over here in the West. It still stings that we didn't get the likes of that, Vampire Saviour and Street Fighter Alpha 3 over here.

Mystaria is a good shout by him and it's a game I did own when I originally had a Saturn. Like Shining Force 3, I got near the end of the game but I never actually completed it. I'm not sure how I would feel about playing it now. The game looked rough back then never mind trying to play through it now. :p 

• Thanks 1

Madlittlepixel with a video on Selling Retro Games which I found interesting as that's what I'm doing currently, obviously not everything but the stuff I know I won't play.

Yes, I know... I've still got to make that thread on Game Collecting, becoming addicted etc but I thought this was an interesting point as I start thinking about it.

Is anyone else selling stuff from their collections at the moment? Or are you already really, really selective about what you purchase?

I got rid of a load of my collection last year as you guys know, whittling it down to just Mega Drive and SNES. For those two I try not to just buy any game that comes up cheap, only really getting those extra games when they come in bundles.

• Thanks 1

The whole collecting just for the sake of collecting has always puzzled me when it comes to games. This isn't like collecting figures, models, cards or statues where they are appreciated simply by looking at them. Games are an interactive experience and I find it baffling that people simply buy games to put them on the shelf. If you're not ever going to play them then why bother buying them? 

As much as I love the MetalJesusRocks crew, I look at the stuff they've all accumulated over the years and there's no way they could ever play through it all. I think it's at that point where the collecting to enjoy the product has stopped and the hording has begun. 

For me, retro gaming has always been about reliving my youth, playing games I grew up with and puchasing and playing the ones I missed out on but always wanted to play. There's zero appeal to me to simply buy them just to fill a shelf. I have to actually want to play the game if it's to be in my collection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don’t necessarily see a problem with it. Collecting to complete a collection can be a reason of its own and I know I definitely love seeing the boxes of games displayed on my shelves to the point where I don’t have to be playing the games to be enjoying them.

• Thanks 1

I sat and watched this last night.

It's crazy how rough the arcade version of Soul Calibur was when compared to the Dreamcast version. The same goes for Tekken Tag Tournament when compared to the PS2 version.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 2