NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

You've got to admire the amount of extras available from using the GBA Link cable. :D

I remember downloading and playing all of those Sega mini games when they were first available in PSO Episode I&II back in the day. :)

I'm not sure if I ever unlocked them in Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg though I do remember the cracking multiplayer on that game, hours of fun. :peace:

• Thanks 1

Right, I ended up going with Final Fantasy IX. Hoping that I can stick with it until the end this time!

• Thanks 1

My Life in Gaming video about Cartridge Save File Preservation.

I'm sure it will be interesting, I'll be watching it myself as soon as I've finished watching Boundary Break.

• Thanks 2

Well I’m 3 or 4 hours into FFIX so far and enjoying it more than I think I did the last time I tried. I’m playing it on my phone with a new controller mount though so the novelty could be helping but hey, whatever works!

Another high quality video from Sega Lord X featuring the best looking Sega Saturn games.

Some truly amazing titles in there, I've played a fair few of them but I wouldn't mind trying out some of those games we didn't get over here at some point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really nice comparrison/review video from Nerrel. I agree with pretty much everything he says here about Zelda OoT 3D:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a warning for you guys. Try not to mention Shining Force III in this thread for a while. @Goafer and I saw it in CEX in London this weekend and he hasn’t stopped moaning since about not being able to get it.

37 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Just a warning for you guys. Try not to mention Shining Force III in this thread for a while. @Goafer and I saw it in CEX in London this weekend and he hasn’t stopped moaning since about not being able to get it.

Too expensive? How much were they charging? It can go for up to£140 on eBay these days so anything less than that would be considered a bargain.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Too expensive? How much were they charging? It can go for up to£140 on eBay these days so anything less than that would be considered a bargain.

You aren’t helping! :p 

It was £110 and he knew it was a bargain. That’s one of the things making him moan so much.

• Haha 2

Made my list of MD games to keep an eye out for at next week's retro gaming market.

Alien Soldier
Ranger-X
Adventures of Batman & Robin
Castlevania New Generation
Alisia Dragoon
X-Men 2: Clones Wars

They did have two copies of X-Men 2 in the same CEX that Goafer saw Shining Force III but I didn't end up getting it there.

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

They did have two copies of X-Men 2 in the same CEX that Goafer saw Shining Force III but I didn't end up getting it there.

You two are as bad as each other. :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You two are as bad as each other. :D 

I just wanted to wait and see if they have it at the gaming market. Kind of wanted to get any games there to make it worth going lol. I ended up spending too much money on Japanese drinks and sweets at the Japan Centre anyway so money well spent :p

• Haha 1

I know a few people on here bought the Gamecube version of this so I figured you'd be interested in the N64 model.

• Thanks 1

The Super 64 is certainly a step in the right direction, I saw comparison images of it yesterday though and I wasn't exactly blown away by them and the video is no different sadly.

Also, it's $150... I got an RGB modded N64 and a high quality RGB Scart lead for less than that and this model of the Super 64 is NTSC only but they are working on a PAL version.

I mention that in case anyone is tempted to buy one for their PAL systems because as I understand it, this initial model won't work with those systems.

While I know the difference in image quality isn't ever going to be amazing on an N64, I've had much better results with an RGB cable, but then... this is a HDMI plug 'n play solution.

Some choice comments from underneath the video...

Really? Based on what I saw in this video the difference is insanely minimal to justify $150.

150$ for anti-aliasing >_<

Just found out something that stops me from buying this. Lack of PAL Nintendo 64 support. Found out this doesn't work on PAL Nintendo 64's

Aside from that it offers pretty much the same image, 240p line doubled to 480p with a smoothing button.

So it's still a good product, for what it is but just be wary of its limitations, though it's definitely less hassle than getting a modded N64 and an RGB Scart cable.

I wouldn't go expecting the same results as an HDMI modded N64 though, that's the best current option but it's expensive and the difference between it and RGB Scart is minimal.

Hope this information helps. :peace:

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2019 at 7:29 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

I know a few people on here bought the Gamecube version of this so I figured you'd be interested in the N64 model.

Unfortunately it's not quite what I was hoping for... It's not a true HDMI signal (like the GCN EON HD was), but rather it just pulls S-video from the N64's output and converts it to HDMI afterwards with a line doubler; so you're not getting the same level of quality as the N64 Ultra HDMI mod :( 

It's absolutely NOT worth the pricetag.

In lighter news...

https://nintendosoup.com/shigesato-itoi-wants-people-all-over-the-world-to-read-the-satoru-iwata-book/

Looks like we might actually be getting the Satoru Iwata book in English! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for posting more info @S.C.G & @Dcubed. I was definitely interested in the Super 64 when I first saw the announcement but was a bit confused as to how it goes about converting the signal, kind of makes sense that its just boosting an S-video signal. If it was £50-£75 and worked with PAL consoles I might be willing to pick one up but at the moment I'll just wait and see what other solutions come about. Hopefully with Hyperkin showing of the Ultra64 more N64 clones are on the way, the dream is obviously that Analogue make an FPGA based N64 clone.

• Thanks 2

This interesting item came up in one of my automated eBay search e-mails...

SEGA Saturn - Panzer Dragoon Azel (SAGA) discs 1&2

The listing reads...

Panzer Dragoon Azel (Saga) on Official SEGA discs 1&2. Dated december '97. Bought from an ex-SEGA employee sale many moons ago. Untested. Open to offers. Free worldwide tracked shipping.

It's just that, you know how the source code was lost to Panzer Dragoon Saga, it just made me wonder if these discs would have anything useful on them.

Or if it's just a copy of the game which was burned to disc within Sega, which is still cool as it is and in any case it seems that it's only disc 1&2 but still.

I just thought I'd post it here at least, it didn't come up in a usual Panzer Dragoon search but rather a search for "Sega Saturn 2 disc" in case anyone was interested.

On it.

giphy.gif

Also, they own a unique copy of a notoriously rare/expensive game and they've not found a way/bothered to test it before selling for £750? No thanks.

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Oh yeah, I wasn't advocating that anyone actually buy it on spec or anything, I mean damn... selling something for that amount, anything for that amount should be fully tested.

But if it is really what the seller claims it is... you would think that they would want to verify it and definitely check that it works.

I think it's likely to be real though, those discs do look official but... I'm aware that they could just as easily be blank Sega branded CDR's with a bit of pen on them.

Upon checking feedback though, they have sold prototypes and other things in the past so who knows?

If I was selling what they had though, I'd want to either show it running on original hardware (if that's possible) or at least the contents of the disc from within a file browser.

I just found it really curious is all. :D

• Like 1

This reminds me of the PSO review copy/white label I got from eBay for 99p a while back. Boots up fine, but crashes after the character creation. Possibly due to the server no longer existing?

?size=l

1 minute ago, Goafer said:

This reminds me of the PSO review copy/white label I got from eBay for 99p a while back. Boots up fine, but crashes after the character creation. Possibly due to the server no longer existing?

?size=l

Surely it should still work though, right? I mean, the game can be played offline.