NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

There's a sweet looking Mega Drive hoodie over on the UK Sega Shop at the moment.

sega-megadrive-hoodie-01_db997937-bd28-4

There's also a Dreamcast one but i'm not that keen on the design. It's far too plain and it looks like the Dreamcast logo isn't even on there.

sega-dreamcast-hoodie-01_106fc453-e4d4-4

I've still not ordered anything from that site. I fear if I do then I will end up spending a small fortune. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I came across this video yesterday evening.

I've encountered the larger Stalchild's before but, despite my countless play throughs of the game, i've never encountered the other giant enemies. I never even knew they were a thing. I thought the Stalchild was just some kind of one off, random enemy and that was it. It's crazy how big they can get! :o

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing that DMC retrospective @Hero-of-Time I'll be sure to enjoy watching it...

...just as soon as I get back to completing the series. :D

I can't believe that was nearly two months ago that I was making some nice progress on DMC3 before it all went to hell.

But there are still demons left to battle, so I think I'll get right back to it. :peace:

• Like 1

Dunkey's for sure a funny guy, but I really love when he views things a bit more analytically:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dcubed said:

It's out!!!

Just finished watching it. Brilliant stuff.

I love how their business is built on a passion for gaming and the preservation of it. It's just a shame a lot of their stuff never made it over to these shores. I would have loved to have played some of their  Sega Ages 2500 games. :( 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just finished watching it. Brilliant stuff.

I love how their business is built on a passion for gaming and the preservation of it. It's just a shame a lot of their stuff never made it over to these shores. I would have loved to have played some of their  Sega Ages 2500 games. :(

Yep, fantastic video there. :D

One of those where it's an hour long but I wished that it could have been longer as watching it didn't seem like an hour because it was genuinely fascinating. :peace:

There was plenty in that video about M2 that I was unaware of, clearly their passion for videogames knows no bounds!

I know those Sega Ages 2500 games didn't make it over here but I think some of them are import friendly, I mean... you still need a way to play NTSC PS2 games but still.

I actually went ahead and bought Phantasy Star Complete after watching that amazing Phantasy Star episode...

...it still hasn't got here yet as it's coming from Japan but it should only be another week or two...

It has English language I believe, that's what swung it for me and the quality of it.

All this time and I thought it was JP language only... also I have since got the Phantasy Star games in their original format but it never hurts to have options. :smile:

It would be amazing if the other Phantasy Star titles got the same Sega Ages treatment as the first game on the Switch because I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. :heart:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Yep, fantastic video there. :D

One of those where it's an hour long but I wished that it could have been longer as watching it didn't seem like an hour because it was genuinely fascinating. :peace:

There was plenty in that video about M2 that I was unaware of, clearly their passion for videogames knows no bounds!

I know those Sega Ages 2500 games didn't make it over here but I think some of them are import friendly, I mean... you still need a way to play NTSC PS2 games but still.

I actually went ahead and bought Phantasy Star Complete after watching that amazing Phantasy Star episode...

...it still hasn't got here yet as it's coming from Japan but it should only be another week or two...

It has English language I believe, that's what swung it for me and the quality of it.

All this time and I thought it was JP language only... also I have since got the Phantasy Star games in their original format but it never hurts to have options. :smile:

It would be amazing if the other Phantasy Star titles got the same Sega Ages treatment as the first game on the Switch because I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. :heart:

Nice! Been wanting that myself as well. The main games are in English, but not the text adventure games.

• Thanks 1

The PS2 Phantasy Star Collection is actually available on the JPN PS3 PSN store; you can access the JPN store on any region PS3!

There's quite a few SEGA AGES releases available on there.  Here's a list...

Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 1: Phantasy Star Generation 1 Sega Unreleased Unreleased August 20, 2014
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 6: Bonanza Bros. Sega Unreleased Unreleased July 17, 2013
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 9: Gain Ground Sega Unreleased Unreleased May 15, 2013
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 17: Phantasy Star Generation 2 Sega Unreleased Unreleased August 20, 2014
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 18: Dragon Force Sega Unreleased Unreleased July 25, 2012
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 20: Space Harrier Complete Collection Sega Unreleased Unreleased November 21, 2012
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 23: SEGA Memorial Selection Sega Unreleased Unreleased October 17, 2012
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 25: Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box Sega Unreleased Unreleased September 19, 2012
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 26: Dynamite Deka Sega Unreleased Unreleased August 22, 2012
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 30: Galaxy Force II - Special Extended Edition Sega Unreleased Unreleased June 19, 2013
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 32: Phantasy Star Complete Collection Sega Unreleased Unreleased December 19, 2012
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 33: Fantasy Zone Complete Collection Sega Unreleased Unreleased April 16, 2014

I never realised that there were so many PS2 games released for the PS3 store! There's actually almost 6x as many as what got released on PS4! :o 

It even has Contra Shattered Soldier, Neo Contra and Gradius 5! The latter actually got released in 2015!! Two years after the PS4 had been released! :o 

Edited by Dcubed

That was the reason I created a Japanese PSN account. Never got round too playing it though, was hoping they would release it on PS4 but that never happened. :cry:

Holy Jesus! Suikoden 4 was released on PS3!? IN 2017!?!?!?

GRANDIA 3 IS AVAILABLE ON THERE TOO!!

How did I not know this!? I need to buy some US and JPN PS3 cards! :D 

Why on earth were they released only on PS3 and not PS4 anyway? Even more reason why my PS3 will forever stay in my setup, while my PS4 gets shafted!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Its just as well I've never been to Japan because if I ever did I think I'd end up spending a fortune.

• Thanks 1

Got my Sega Mega Drive 6 Button Arcade Pad from Retro Bit today.

It has the weight, look and feel of the official pad, will try it out later.

Will be nice to finally have a decent controller to use with my Analogue Mega SG. :D

I may have to get a second one as well.

• Like 2

I joked on Discord that I had bought Resident Evil 4, Okami, and part of the Mega Man Legacy collection..

Spoiler

capcom_retro.png

I'm cleaning up my room, and made a quick pic of some games I hadn't touched in years that I need to temporarily store away. Once I'm done (.. that could take a while), I'll make a pic of the full collection.

Did hook up my NES quickly to have a quick go at MM4 and Rescue Rangers. I'll be needing that NES next month anyway. My sweet, yellow NES.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Man, I love the gaming culture over in Japan. The amount of retro stores and the condition a lot of the games are in is just insane. Over here you are lucky to find a single retro shop and when you do find one most of the stuff is unboxed and hasn't been taken care of.

I got a good laugh out of the toilet section. :D 

• Thanks 1

I popped into my local retro gaming store this morning. It's been a while since I've been in there. I stopped regularly calling in once I realized he was rarely getting any new stock in. I seen that he had both Aladdin and Power Rangers: The Movie in stock for the Mega Drive so I decided to snap them up. I took them to the counter and asked if I could check the condition of the instruction manual and cartridges. Aladdin didn't have any instructions and the sticker on the Power Rangers cart was peeling. I left empty handed. Kinda highlights my point I made just yesterday about retro games over here being in shoddy condition. :D 

I swear there must have been some weird manufacturing problem with Power Rangers: The Movie. A lot of copies I've seen on eBay have the exact same problem with the sticker peeling away from the top of the cartridge. It's as if not enough glue was used.

• Thanks 1

You’ll be happy to know that I just checked my copy of Power Rangers The Movie and the label is firmly stuck down.

• Thanks 1

I've seen preowned copies of games that have just been released that week where the boxes are in terrible condition and/or the manual is missing in the past.

• Haha 1

Counting this as retro as the Switch is out now (and I mostly just post here anyway).

Was in the mood to play Pokémon again the other day so bought myself a cheap 2DS XL and Pokémon Moon. Don't think I've completed a Pokémon game since the original Sapphire release so we'll see how this one goes. Already 7 hours in so it's at least working out as a good podcast game for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Who've you got on your team at the moment, @Happenstance?

Still rocking some pretty early caught Pokemon so at the moment it’s:

Trumbeak, Torracat, Magnemite, Yungoos, Wingull and Slowpoke.

• Like 1