tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Recommended Posts

I spent some more time on Shining the Holy Ark, yesterday evening and managed to complete a couple more dungeons. The first one was pretty straight forward but the second took nearly 2 hours of solid play.

The second dungeon requires you to look for hidden pathways and make your way across ice paths. The ice paths are like those ice puzzles in the early Pokemon games where you step on the ice and keep sliding forward. If you don't plan your moves carefully then you will ended up going round in circles and getting stuck in a loop of random battles. It was pretty stressful, especially when you are trying conserve your MP for the harder fights. I spent so long in the dungeon, uncovering the map, finding hidden items and making my way through the various floors, that I didn't want to leave to save the game ( you have to go back to town ) and then trudge all the way through the dungeon again. When I came across the boss I was really nervous. If I didn't pull off the win then it would be game over. Luckily my character levels were pretty high and I took care of the giant snake without any issues. There was a huge sense of relief once I was able to exit the area and head to the next town. :D 

Yup, still loving the game. Currently sitting on around 12-13 hours play time with a team around level 20. If I remember correctly, the next set of dungeons really step things up in terms of the size and puzzles. I'll have a go at the next one tonight but I may have to leave them until the weekend when I have more time and i'm able to do them in one sitting.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated Mega Drive list. Got a copy of Shadow Dancer The Secret of Shinobi.

Spoiler

Adventures of Batman & Robin
Air Buster
Alien Soldier
Alisia Dragoon
Batman
Bio Hazard Battle
Castle of Illusion
Comix Zone
Crusader of Centy
Desert Strike
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Ecco the Dolphin
Empire of Steel
Flashback
General Chaos
Ghouls n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Golden Axe 2
Gunstar Heroes
Herzog Zwei
Jungle Strike
Landstalker
Mega Bomberman
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Out of this World
Phantasy Star IV
Pirates Gold!
Ranger X
Revenge of Shinobi
Road Rash
Road Rash 2
Road Rash 3
Rocket Knight Adventures
Rolling Thunder 2
Shadow Dancer
Shadowrun
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shinobi III
Starflight
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Target Earth
Thunder Force 3
Toejam & Earl
True Lies
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Valis III
X-Men 2: Clone Wars
Ys III
Zero Wing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I spent some more time on Shining the Holy Ark, yesterday evening and managed to complete a couple more dungeons. The first one was pretty straight forward but the second took nearly 2 hours of solid play.

The second dungeon requires you to look for hidden pathways and make your way across ice paths. The ice paths are like those ice puzzles in the early Pokemon games where you step on the ice and keep sliding forward. If you don't plan your moves carefully then you will ended up going round in circles and getting stuck in a loop of random battles. It was pretty stressful, especially when you are trying conserve your MP for the harder fights. I spent so long in the dungeon, uncovering the map, finding hidden items and making my way through the various floors, that I didn't want to leave to save the game ( you have to go back to town ) and then trudge all the way through the dungeon again. When I came across the boss I was really nervous. If I didn't pull off the win then it would be game over. Luckily my character levels were pretty high and I took care of the giant snake without any issues. There was a huge sense of relief once I was able to exit the area and head to the next town. :D 

Yup, still loving the game. Currently sitting on around 12-13 hours play time with a team around level 20. If I remember correctly, the next set of dungeons really step things up in terms of the size and puzzles. I'll have a go at the next one tonight but I may have to leave them until the weekend when I have more time and i'm able to do them in one sitting.

You really can trace Golden Sun's lineage back to these games can't you? :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In anticipation of the Mega SG I've got all my Mega Drive boxes out and started displaying them again. Such a shame I don't have boxes for all my games. Decided now unless its a really good deal I'm trying to get all future games with their boxes.

7uieOdH.jpg

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

In anticipation of the Mega SG I've got all my Mega Drive boxes out and started displaying them again. Such a shame I don't have boxes for all my games. Decided now unless its a really good deal I'm trying to get all future games with their boxes.

7uieOdH.jpg

What's with the fancy shot? I can't see half your games. 

58 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

You really can trace Golden Sun's lineage back to these games can't you? :D 

Absolutely. The character portraits and menus are a dead giveaway. I miss this team making JRPGs. :( 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What's with the fancy shot? I can't see half your games.

Because fancy shot is fancy.

Plus, that probably just is only half my games anyway as the rest don't have boxes so it's not really supposed to show all my games. That's what my VGCollect list is for.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, despite what I said yesterday I did end up playing some more of Shining the Holy Ark yesterday evening. I can't help myself. :D 

I tackled the South Shrine and man what a pain in the backside this dungeon was. It features enemies that can only be hurt with magic attacks, which seems fine, but the little gits tend to run away. You could spend a bit of time using all of your MP in order to defeat them and then they would sod off just as you are about to land the final blow! This dungeon also features twisting corridors which send you and your party on to the ceiling of the dungeon. Thankfully you don't have any enemy encounters while on the ceiling but you still have to make your way around and then find out where to drop down in order to continue. It did take a long time to work my way through the dungeon but luckily the boss waiting for me at the end of it was pretty simple. Although, she did keep spawning enemies to help her in battle which was a bit off an annoyance. I eventually just stopped attacking those, absorbed the hits from them and concentrated on defeating her.

After I finished the dungeon I went back to town and got my 5th party member who is a female ninja named Akane. I called it a night there. I think i'll be heading back to the South Shrine, this evening. I wouldn't mind grinding a few more levels with my main team and levelling up Akane a bit because she joined the team at 5 levels lower than everyone else.

I can't wait to get home and get back on it. :bouncy: Screw your modern games with microtransactions, half finish products and constant updates. :p 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s 3 more games won. Desert Strike, Jungle Strike and Urban Strike.

Spoiler

Adventures of Batman & Robin
Air Buster
Alien Soldier
Alisia Dragoon
Batman
Bio Hazard Battle
Castle of Illusion
Comix Zone
Crusader of Centy
Desert Strike
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Ecco the Dolphin
Empire of Steel
Flashback
General Chaos
Ghouls n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Golden Axe 2
Gunstar Heroes
Herzog Zwei
Jungle Strike
Landstalker
Mega Bomberman
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Out of this World
Phantasy Star IV
Pirates Gold!
Ranger X
Revenge of Shinobi
Road Rash
Road Rash 2
Road Rash 3
Rocket Knight Adventures
Rolling Thunder 2
Shadow Dancer
Shadowrun
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shinobi III
Starflight
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Target Earth
Thunder Force 3
Toejam & Earl
True Lies
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Valis III
X-Men 2: Clone Wars
Ys III
Zero Wing

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Peter Brown from Gamespot has his Mega SG and is testing it out with the Sega CD!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hope that they eventually release a combination Mega SG with all the silly attachments built in!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm planning on attaching mine to my original Sega Mega-CD II... at least now I kind of know what I'm letting myself in for. :p

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got £157 and a copy of Flashback from cex for my traded in stuff. Now just have to decide if I buy a couple of rare games or a load of cheaper ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok then, just made my CEX order. Went with a mixture of games from my list and one's from my childhood that I wanted back!

Flashback
Toejam & Earl
X-Men
Golden Axe 2
Rolling Thunder 2
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Movie
Rocket Knight Adventures
Captain America & The Avengers
Skitchin
James Bond 007 The Duel

Spoiler

Adventures of Batman & Robin
Air Buster
Alien Soldier
Alisia Dragoon
Batman
Bio Hazard Battle
Castle of Illusion
Comix Zone
Crusader of Centy
Desert Strike
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Ecco the Dolphin
Empire of Steel
Flashback
General Chaos
Ghouls n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Golden Axe 2
Gunstar Heroes
Herzog Zwei
Jungle Strike
Landstalker
Mega Bomberman
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Out of this World
Phantasy Star IV
Pirates Gold!
Ranger X
Revenge of Shinobi
Road Rash
Road Rash 2
Road Rash 3
Rocket Knight Adventures
Rolling Thunder 2

Shadow Dancer
Shadowrun
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shinobi III
Starflight
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Target Earth
Thunder Force 3
Toejam & Earl
True Lies
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Valis III
X-Men 2: Clone Wars
Ys III
Zero Wing

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect timing as I've got the first week in April off work so should have plenty of time to play it!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long is delivery, I have that week off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ike said:

How long is delivery, I have that week off?

Looks like my Super NT took 2 days to get to me.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Looks like my Super NT took 2 days to get to me.

Ooh, hope it arrives in time. Checked the shipping and it's DHL Express so hopefully it should. Excitement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered myself a replacement Mega Drive game case from eBay earlier. Figured out I would try one and if it looks ok then I'll get a load for the carts that have no boxes in my collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

That’s quite the collection already @Happenstance! Congrats! :peace:

 

What’s next on the shopping list?

I’m mostly just keeping an eye on eBay at the moment to see if I can get any deals but I would like to try and grab a copy of Ranger X soon. I missed out on it the other day and was kicking myself.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've been sorting through things in my parents loft and among a bunch of old Lego and other ephemera I found a Rocket Knight Adventures pin badge. Neither me or my brothers ever owned any Sega console growing up so it was bizarre to see a piece of merch from a relatively obscure Sega game, any ideas where it might have come from? The only thing I can really think of is that it might have been given away with one of the Sonic the Hedgehog comics, we had a few issues of that back in the day and they're about the only Sega thing I can remember us ever getting. 

EDIT: I've copied in a picture I found on the internet of one, in case it jogs anyones memory.

Sega-Genesis-SPARKSTER-Rocket-Knight-Adv

 

Edited by killthenet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, killthenet said:

 

Sega-Genesis-SPARKSTER-Rocket-Knight-Adv

I think it was either a pre-order bonus or a magazine item, really cool though! Thanks for sharing. :D

(you've got me looking at Sega pin badges on eBay now) :p

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't realised that more carts adaptors would be coming for the Mega SG at a later date. I might be tempted to get the GameGear one as I have quite a few GG games still.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I hadn't realised that more carts adaptors would be coming for the Mega SG at a later date. I might be tempted to get the GameGear one as I have quite a few GG games still.

Yeah, I believe we get a Master System adapter bundled in and then isn't it Game Gear and Mark III cart adapters are coming later? I was planning on picking up both of those. :)

Although I do own a Master System Converter II but I might just use that with my Sega Multi Mega.

I'm hoping one day they will find a way to add another module for 32X support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now