NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Speaking of Giant Bomb, it was 5 years yesterday since Ryan Davis passed away. Still think about him quite a bit when watching their stuff and wonder what he would have thought about games etc. Best host they ever had.

tenor.gif?itemid=8007887

• Like 1

An interesting video which focuses (heh) on Motion Blur in gaming from the PS2 era, right up to present day.

It makes a good case for it being used selectively or for their to be more options in certain titles to adjust it to meet user preference.

Personally I can see the benefits of using it in certain ways but I'm glad that it has evolved significantly over the years to become useful as opposed to being intrusive.

• Like 1

After watching the Giant Bomb fighting video I ended up buying these.

DhWXK5NXcAAynX2.jpg

DhWXK5NWsAAAavQ.jpg

I was chuffed to find a sealed copy of Project Justice and Rival Schools is in absolute mint condition. Good stuff.

• Like 2

I'm back bidding on N64s at the moment. It'd be nice if I could just get a mini instead but all the rumours around that seem to have died down at the moment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

After watching the Giant Bomb fighting video I ended up buying these.

DhWXK5NXcAAynX2.jpg

DhWXK5NWsAAAavQ.jpg

I was chuffed to find a sealed copy of Project Justice and Rival Schools is in absolute mint condition. Good stuff.

Th...that's a sealed copy of Project Justice on the Dreamcast?!? I hope you didn't have to pay too much for a sealed copy... assuming you bought it to play, possibly?

I thought you already had the game though, I'm possibly remembering incorrectly... anyway, if you're keeping those as collector's items or playing them, either way... enjoy! :peace:

• Like 1

It was quite cheap. I nabbed it for £105. A second hand copy usually goes for £100+ so I certainly got a bargain.

I always buy to play. I have no interest in keeping the games sealed. It seems kinda pointless. It would be like buying a movie but never watching it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It was quite cheap. I nabbed it for £105. A second hand copy usually goes for £100+ so I certainly got a bargain.

I always buy to play. I have no interest in keeping the games sealed. It seems kinda pointless. It would be like buying a movie but never watching it.

That's a good buy, I paid about £70 for my copy on average, when I was hunting for Dreamcast games a few years back, I ended up with that extra copy which I made my money back on.

I think I even mentioned it on here at the time, anyway... solid game. :D

I really need to get back into playing it as when you're playing it on a Dreamcast over VGA and with an official arcade stick, there's no better feeling. :heart:

When I get around to it, I have a new(er) than the one I already had, boxed Dreamcast which I bought recently and I'm going to try and have it set up more often. :)

Regarding sealed games... I have a few, the ones I do have for Dreamcast I do intend to play at some point, so I may get the joy of unsealing a Dreamcast game soon as well. :p

On other platforms, I have some on the GameCube... I had the chance to get a copy of Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II sealed many years ago for £10... it's my "just in case" copy. :rolleyes:

Tales of Symphonia sealed as well, it came with my Tales of Symphonia Pak, the Mint Green GameCube which I think was French exclusive or something, not unsealing that.

Oh and a sealed copy of Zelda Collector's Edition because I got the copy that I play with the second GC for the house at the time (my brothers) because he wanted a GameCube and I wanted the game but we both played it, so yeah I bought him his GameCube and we both got to play Mario Kart, Zelda and all those other great games at the time. :D

But as for that sealed copy... we got it in Woolworths, as we were asking for GC games when it was on the way out, they rooted around in the drawer and found this one lone sealed copy, said they couldn't technically sell it so... yeah, my younger brother nabbed it (rightfully so really) but he kept it sealed as he could just play my copy and he got his own copy with Mario Kart after a while as well, so he just traded it to me and it's on my GC shelf because it's the only copy which has the artwork/spine etc as the Mario Kart one just had a sticker on it, so it's nice to have as its own entity on display next to the other Zelda games. :love:

I have a sealed Japanese copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends... :blank: but I have no excuse for that, I just got it kind of cheap and I like the idea of having one or two JP titles for the artwork. :smile:

There are some sealed 3DS games I have... some I will play, some I might sell if I don't play them, I still have Super Luigi U sealed on the Wii U... I have it digitally but, that green case though.

A few sealed Xbox and PS2 games here and there, I might just sell them, some promo 360 games... some Xbox 360 games which I never got around to playing even!

Oh and about 90% of my Switch collection and PS4 collection... because of course :blush: but then, you know I'm going to play them all... one day. :peace:

I have a sealed copy of Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast and I recently bought a sealed copy of Defcon 5 on the Saturn. Super weird to see a brand new Saturn game. Haven't seen a box without some sort of damage for a long time. I opened it and the manual is so crisp. Such a strange feeling.

Haven't opened Jet Set Radio yet and probably won't as I have no real desire to play it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Tales of Symphonia sealed as well, it came with my Tales of Symphonia Pak, the Mint Green GameCube which I think was French exclusive or something, not unsealing that.

Pics please! 

I've often dabbled with importing that model. As you said, it was exclusive to France in this region but it was also released in Japan. Did yours also come with the matching GBA player? I think it came with it as standard in the Japan bundle.

I have a sealed copy of Yakuza 0, does that count?

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Don’t think I have any sealed copies of anything in my collection.

I got a few PS4 games but that's purely because i've not had the time to get to them yet. I don't buy games sealed with the intention of never opening them but I do see the collectors point of view of wanting to keep them sealed in the hope that they do go up in value. 

Speaking of my PS4, I was looking at my collection last night and was wondering if its worth keeping the games that I have completed. I'm nearing the 100 PS4 boxed games mark but I found myself wondering if I would even play most of these games again. The collection does look great on the shelf but what's the point if they are never going to be played? Will I really play the likes of Far Cry, Call of Duty and Creed games again? Unlike most the older console games I have, the newer games don't have the nostalgic pull, not to mention that I imagine most of these games may not even work in the future, what with servers closing down and updates not being available. 

I got rid of a lot of my PS4 games recently. Just kept the main ones I either still plan to play or ones like GTA V that I go back to a lot. I have no interest in collecting modern games. That’s also another reason why I’m happy to just buy those digitally. I think my collection stops at the PS2/Xbox/GameCube era.

30 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Speaking of my PS4, I was looking at my collection last night and was wondering if its worth keeping the games that I have completed. I'm nearing the 100 PS4 boxed games mark but I found myself wondering if I would even play most of these games again. The collection does look great on the shelf but what's the point if they are never going to be played? Will I really play the likes of Far Cry, Call of Duty and Creed games again? Unlike most the older console games I have, the newer games don't have the nostalgic pull, not to mention that I imagine most of these games may not even work in the future, what with servers closing down and updates not being available. 

26 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I got rid of a lot of my PS4 games recently. Just kept the main ones I either still plan to play or ones like GTA V that I go back to a lot. I have no interest in collecting modern games. That’s also another reason why I’m happy to just buy those digitally. I think my collection stops at the PS2/Xbox/GameCube era.

*looks over at PS4 Tower* :blank:

Fifty-Six games and counting, with space for another Sixteen, at least twelve of those already allocated to games coming out or hopefully getting a physical release...

...and about twenty-five other titles on another shelf.

It's safe to say that I'm playing the long game with physical PS4 titles. ;)

I do get it though, for certain titles, why keep them? I had the likes of Far Cry  and Fallout in my collection but those are gone, along with a few other titles which will be joining them.

For the most part though, I'm keeping my PS4 games so I can have them all there for when I want to play them.

I did go a bit mad on the Capcom front, I have all Resident Evil games physical and I've even imported Devil May Cry 4 mostly for the shelf because we didn't get it over here.

But yeah, apart from the day 1 must haves, I'm not going to be putting much more into my PS4 collection now...

...because it's all about the Switch. :cool: (just under 40 physical games and counting) :laughing:

I'll post pictures at some point, got to get this room sorted first though. :peace:

Was just saying to @Goafer, I'm starting to wonder about my retro collection and if I should be keeping all this stuff and just having it feel wasted on shelves or in boxes. His idea of starting to limit his to just the Sega Saturn is starting to seem like a good idea. Nothing decided yet but I could go back to limiting mine to just the Mega Drive and SNES again.

17 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Was just saying to @Goafer, I'm starting to wonder about my retro collection and if I should be keeping all this stuff and just having it feel wasted on shelves or in boxes. His idea of starting to limit his to just the Sega Saturn is starting to seem like a good idea. Nothing decided yet but I could go back to limiting mine to just the Mega Drive and SNES again.

While it's fun to collect, as well as expensive, I personally only think it's worth while getting games that you want to play or have a lot of nostalgia for. If you collect just to collect I can't imagine it being a very fulfilling. It was like that guy who bought every Wii game ever made. Sure, it's an impressive collection but how much garbage must be sitting on that shelf?

17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sure, it's an impressive collection but how much garbage must be sitting on that shelf?

All of it :p

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

All of it :p

You're hatred towards all things motion controlled never fails to amuse me.

I'd imagine you'd go for the Mega Drive stuff over the SNES, seeing as you love that console. 

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You're hatred towards all things motion controlled never fails to amuse me.

I'd imagine you'd go for the Mega Drive stuff over the SNES, seeing as you love that console. 

Yeah probably. I’d be happy just recreating the Mega Drive Collection I had as a kid!

Just now, Happenstance said:

Yeah probably. I’d be happy just recreating the Mega Drive Collection I had as a kid!

Yeah, the limited games I have for that console were ones I picked up for that very reason. Great, now I'm wanting to do some Mega Drive window shopping on eBay. I hate this thread! 

I might try and create a list of tomorrow to see how many of the games I have and how many I still need to get.

in the mean time, anyone want to buy a GameCube, broken Sega Saturn, 3DO or Panasonic Q? Lol

13 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I might try and create a list of tomorrow to see how many of the games I have and how many I still need to get.

in the mean time, anyone want to buy a GameCube, broken Sega Saturn, 3DO or Panasonic Q? Lol

*raises hand*

:p