tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Recommended Posts

I remember when a new Ridge Racer game announcement was a big deal. That was before Namco drove it into the ground. I wonder if that rumoured Switch version will show up at E3...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished modding my spare megadrive 2 to 60Hz

I thought it would be complicated before I starting looking into how to do it but there's nothing to it.

All I needed was a phillips screwdriver and a stanley knife.

At the moment its permanently 60Hz with no switch back to 50Hz but as I've never soldered before, I might not bother.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm inclined to agree with Top Hat Gaming Man on this one, I've always found Chaotix to be very underrated.

Although I am glad that I was lucky enough to pick up a copy years ago, I wouldn't fancy paying the asking price for it these days.

Maybe one day it will get re-released in one form or another though. :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2018 at 9:34 PM, S.C.G said:

I'm inclined to agree with Top Hat Gaming Man on this one, I've always found Chaotix to be very underrated.

Although I am glad that I was lucky enough to pick up a copy years ago, I wouldn't fancy paying the asking price for it these days.

Maybe one day it will get re-released in one form or another though. :smile:

Time to beg M2 for a SEGA AGES version!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made a few special purchases over the past couple of weeks.

First up is Pokemon Black (posted this in the Black and White thread when I started playing it).

DeDchWMWAAAp20E.jpg

 

Next up, I was in the mood to play some Sonic games and figured I would get these as I have only played the first one. All 3 of them are mint and came with box protectors, which was a nice bonus.

DeDchWQW4AAo0Rj.jpg

DeDchWQW4AY2q0b.jpg

DeDchWQXUAIO7zg.jpg

DeDdKAoW0AAyR0K.jpg

 

Finally, i've been wanting to get involved with picking up the following games for a while now and with the rate that their prices are increasing I figured I would go all in. It cost me a small fortune to acquire these, especially the condition they are in. I'll put these in spoilers in case people's eyes melt at the awesomeness of these pick ups. :D 

Spoiler

DeDdJ_YWsAEP-3w.jpg

DeDdKD2W4AAG28C.jpg

DeDd6ayW4AA8M0a.jpg

DeDd6a5X0AEvQUV.jpg

 

 

Spoiler

DeDhryeX0AAGXsx.jpg

DeDd6a2XkAAV0Of.jpg

DeDdKFjX4AE7iE-.jpg

As you can see, I snapped up some box protectors to keep the games mint. I was surprised to find ones available for that last game I posted. Chuffed to bits to finally have that last game in my collection.:yay:

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've made a few special purchases over the past couple of weeks.

First up is Pokemon Black (posted this in the Black and White thread when I started playing it).

DeDchWMWAAAp20E.jpg

 

Next up, I was in the mood to play some Sonic games and figured I would get these as I have only played the first one. All 3 of them are mint and came with box protectors, which was a nice bonus.

DeDchWQW4AAo0Rj.jpg

DeDchWQW4AY2q0b.jpg

DeDchWQXUAIO7zg.jpg

DeDdKAoW0AAyR0K.jpg

 

Finally, i've been wanting to get involved with picking up the following games for a while now and with the rate that their prices are increasing I figured I would go all in. It cost me a small fortune to acquire these, especially the condition they are in. I'll put these in spoilers in case people's eyes melt at the awesomeness of these pick ups. :D 

  Enter With Caution (Hide contents)

DeDdJ_YWsAEP-3w.jpg

DeDdKD2W4AAG28C.jpg

DeDd6ayW4AA8M0a.jpg

DeDd6a5X0AEvQUV.jpg

 

 

  Saving The Best For Last (Hide contents)

DeDhryeX0AAGXsx.jpg

DeDd6a2XkAAV0Of.jpg

DeDdKFjX4AE7iE-.jpg

As you can see, I snapped up some box protectors to keep the games mint. I was surprised to find ones available for that last game I posted. Chuffed to bits to finally have that last game finally in my collection.:yay:

..and there was me debating whether or not to spend £3.75 on Metal Gear Solid V just over a week ago :grin:

Edited by nekunando
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice pick ups @Hero-of-Time

How much, if I may ask, did you have to pay for Panzer Dragoon Saga?

I dug out my PS3 today to install the games I bought last week on it and I'd forgotten how creaky and lightweight the Dualshock 3 is. Anybody know of any techniques for making the sticks a bit more agile and make less noise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, killthenet said:

How much, if I may ask, did you have to pay for Panzer Dragoon Saga?

I dug out my PS3 today to install the games I bought last week on it and I'd forgotten how creaky and lightweight the Dualshock 3 is. Anybody know of any techniques for making the sticks a bit more agile and make less noise?

£300 which is a very good price considering it's in fantastic condition. I've seen it go for a lot higher, even when the outer sleeve was in rough condition. There's a small price sticker on the back ( I need to borrow the heat gun from work to remove this safely ) saying £24.99. Crazy how much the game is worth now. :D 

As for your PS3 problem, do you have a PS4? If so, you could use that controller as an alternative.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

£300 which is a very good price considering it's in fantastic condition.

Quote

£300

1415.gif

I just pre-ordered Moonlighter for 18€, so I got that going for me.

:p

Congrats on your purchase :peace:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember seriously doubting myself when I spent £170 on my copy. So glad I did. It's not mint, but it's pretty good. Inner cases are almost mint and the cardboard sleeve has a small, well repaired rip in it.

I plan to get the expensive games soon before they get too silly. I think Shining Force 3 will be next.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Goafer said:

I remember seriously doubting myself when I spent £170 on my copy. So glad I did. It's not mint, but it's pretty good. Inner cases are almost mint and the cardboard sleeve has a small, well repaired rip in it.

I plan to get the expensive games soon before they get too silly. I think Shining Force 3 will be next.

Yeah, it's the outer sleeve which seems to be the hardest part to find in good condition. It's why I snapped up the copy I did because it's so hard to find one that isn't with or torn in some way.

Shining Force 3 usually goes for £100-£120, depending on the condition. Although, I did see one go for around £94 the other day.

If you haven't already got it then I recommend getting a hold of a Deep Fear ASAP. It already goes for around £200 and after Panzer Dragoon Saga, it's probably the most expensive European exclusive. I think it was the last game released for the Saturn over here, which is why it commands such a high price.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hero-of-Time congratulations in joining the N-Europe Panzer Dragoon Saga Owner's Club! :D

And... congrats on picking up those other titles as well, I suppose. :p

Nah, in all seriousness; it's a great time to get into Sega Saturn collecting while you still can. :)

I was lucky, my first real find was a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga for £4 in a second hand shop, complete apart from the sleeve, that was way back in 2001 I think. :grin:

Indeed I could have had Deep Fear for the same price, but I only had £4 on me at the time, I still think I made the right choice, though I did pick up Deep Fear later on...

...I tried to check to see how much I paid but I'm pretty sure it was when the game was around £40 and it was at that point I thought the game was getting pricey. :blank:

I've done quite well with my Sega Saturn collection over the years, there's maybe only one more title I really, really want for it currently and it's another one of the big hitters.

Keio Flying Squadron 2... I've wanted to buy it and the Sega Mega CD original for some time but it's some pricey now so I might bide my time for a bit. :peace:

Besides, recently I've been somewhat heavily involved in Neo Geo Pocket Color collecting... :blush: In addition to a few more N64 games, so I've got to save for a bit I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost bought a modded GBA at comic con yesterday but it annoyed me enough that the guy had his games laid out with just the tops of the carts showing, packed in so tightly that you could flick through to see what the games were and not even alphabetised so I decided on principle not to buy one :laughing:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I'm pretty certain you just signed that yourself...

He is the master of stealth, so I can see how it would appear that way to the casual observer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I still enjoy Mega Man games, I have to agree that Astro Boy on the GBA is a fantastic title and one that I'm glad I purchased back in the day. :D

You're quite fond of it too, aren't you @Dcubed?

It seems you can still get a boxed copy of it for a reasonable price but it does seem to be becoming rarer than it was, another Treasure classic well worth owning anyway.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's E3 week and everyone is excited about the new stuff that is going to be shown. I say, out with the new and in with the old! :D

I finally found a mint condition Saturn! 

DfQs5LdWAAEK5Zo.jpg

DfQs5LiW0AAf58M.jpg

DfQs5LxXkAAEcVq.jpg

DfQs5ODWAAUirTE.jpg

DfQtWoFX4AABpQW.jpg

DfQtWjqWsAAZ-K-.jpg

Chuffed to bits that it came with all those demo discs as I wanted to add them into my collection eventually. I think i'm only missing one of them, as well as Christmas Nights.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got myself one of those GCHD adapters! (They're widely available on Amazon now!)

 

Also got myself a spare US GCN with UK Power supply and US Action Replay/SD Card loader - so now I can try out cheats and fancy GCN homebrew like the Game Boy Interface!

 

Been meaning to get kitted up for ages! I can't currently play my GCN on my main 4K TV since it has no analog inputs whatsoever (HDMI only), so I'm keen to get my Gamecube game back on! Just gotta wait for it to arrive now :D 

 

Also got myself a US Wii U, to replace my busted US Wii (And get all my downloaded content transferred onto it), so now I finally have all my Wii VC and Wii Ware content back!  It also meant that I could get the outlying Wii U VC games that were 50hz only on the UK Wii U eShop, like DKC2 and Majora's Mask!  I was also able to get VS Excitebike on the NES via the US Wii U eShop too! (It was never released in Europe), so I'm keen to give that a go when I get some time to play! :D 

 

Feels good! I was itching to play Majora's Mask again, but it looked like buttered arse on my TV and crashed partway through, so I gave up and just decided to wait until I had my VC versions back! Now I can play it again! Feels so good to have it back! :hehe:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites