tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

£130

Yeah, I have my eye on that one. 

Considering all the games are sealed, that's probably not a bad deal :smile:

When I got my Dreamcast, I was surprised by how many sealed games were still available at such a good price after all those years so it's even more incredible now!

With the recent mentions of Steep Slope Sliders on Saturn and now your foray into the wonderful world of Dreamcast, I may try to properly play Snow Surfers later. I only really checked it out quickly when I originally bought it!

My gaming has been very sporadic in the last couple of weeks and I can't really settle on anything :hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Considering all the games are sealed, that's probably not a bad deal :smile:

Yeah, it worked out great. Sealed copies of Plasma Sword and Phantasy Star Online usually go for £40+ on their own, so there's £80 right there. Probably £10 each for the VMUs and Rumble Pack and £30 for the pad. That's already more than I paid for and that's without the other games added.

Providing that I get my mates console tomorrow, I think I'll start with Jet Set Radio. I've never actually played it and I'm eager to give it a go after listening to the Sega Bits episode about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, it worked out great. Sealed copies of Plasma Sword and Phantasy Star Online usually go for £40+ on their own, so there's £80 right there. Probably £10 each for the VMUs and Rumble Pack and £30 for the pad. That's already more than I paid for and that's without the other games added.

Providing that I get my mates console tomorrow, I think I'll start with Jet Set Radio. I've never actually played it and I'm eager to give it a go after listening to the Sega Bits episode about it.

Awesome :smile:

Jet Set Radio is great but even after I beat it I didn't really feel like I had totally got to grips with it!

I considered Phantasy Star Online recently but I'm pretty sure I'd never play it.

I need to get around to picking up a replacement disc for Virtua Striker 2. Mine always aborts to the Dreamcast menu now, for some reason :hmm:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if these Shenmue 1&2 HD remakes come out it’ll raise the original prices up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I wonder if these Shenmue 1&2 HD remakes come out it’ll raise the original prices up again.

It may lower them as people would be able to play them for a cheaper price and without having to use another console. I know that happened with the PSOne FF games when they got released digitally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

It may lower them as people would be able to play them for a cheaper price and without having to use another console. I know that happened with the PSOne FF games when they got released digitally. 

I was surprised by the price of Final Fantasy IX. I've never played a main entry but always kinda fancied that one :smile:

I do have VII, though, which I should try!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone seen this FFVII book? I’m tempted to order it. It looks like ones for 6 and 8 are coming soon as well.

the-legend-of-final-fantasy-vii.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I was surprised by the price of Final Fantasy IX. I've never played a main entry but always kinda fancied that one :smile:

I do have VII, though, which I should try!

IX is my worst entry out of the PSOne FF games. I hated the setting but people who wanted that kind of setting love the game.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Anyone seen this FFVII book? I’m tempted to order it. It looks like ones for 6 and 8 are coming soon as well.

the-legend-of-final-fantasy-vii.jpg

Interesting. Never heard of it before. What does it contain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

IX is my worst entry out of the PSOne FF games. I hated the setting but people who wanted that kind of setting love the game.

Interesting. Never heard of it before. What does it contain?

It was the only one my friend had back then so that's why it has some small nostalgic factor!

By the way, make sure you add the Dreamcast Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games to your shopping list :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nekunando said:

It was the only one my friend had back then so that's why it has some small nostalgic factor!

By the way, make sure you add the Dreamcast Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games to your shopping list :grin:

I'd probably just pick up the other THPS games on the PlayStation. I need the PS d-pad to play those games.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I downloaded the kindle sample of the book and it was the original French version so I’m scared to buy the full version now just in case their full kindle version is wrong as well.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my game book collection out to sort and figured I may as well take a photo. Still so many I need to read!

py0nigV.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a little bit of a Dreamcast morning (you guys have got to stop influencing me :heh: )

Sega Rally 2 is very difficult to get back into but it's such a good game. I just played through the Arcade mode a couple of times (GAME OVER YEEEAAHHH on Stage 3 the first time :red: ) and then moved onto Snow Surfers. 

I'm not particularly keen on the way you progress through the game but I managed to unlock the third course after several attempts on the second. It looks like it'll take quite a few goes to surpass this one too!

Also tested my Virtua Striker 2 disc and it cut out to the Dreamcast menu as expected :sad:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, sounds like you need a new copy of Virtua Striker.

I picked up my mates Dreamcast earlier. I have given it a good clean down as the thing was filthy. I haven't played it yet due to the footy. Probably won't get around to it until the Manchester derby has finished this evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Had a little bit of a Dreamcast morning (you guys have got to stop influencing me :heh: )

Sega Rally 2 is very difficult to get back into but it's such a good game. I just played through the Arcade mode a couple of times (GAME OVER YEEEAAHHH on Stage 3 the first time :red: ) and then moved onto Snow Surfers. 

I'm not particularly keen on the way you progress through the game but I managed to unlock the third course after several attempts on the second. It looks like it'll take quite a few goes to surpass this one too!

Also tested my Virtua Striker 2 disc and it cut out to the Dreamcast menu as expected :sad:

I did the same, played a bit of Sega Rally 2, House of the Dead 2 and Virtua Fighter 3 this morning.

Loved playing Virtua Striker 2 in the arcades, may have to play that later.

Unfortunately my Dreamcast is playing up, wouldn't even load Sega Rally 2 at first and froze during the 3rd chapter of House of the Dead 2.

Could be down to not playing on it for a few months or just the laser dying. Seemed to improve the longer I had it on so not giving up on it just yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, lostmario said:

I did the same, played a bit of Sega Rally 2, House of the Dead 2 and Virtua Fighter 3 this morning.

Loved playing Virtua Striker 2 in the arcades, may have to play that later.

Unfortunately my Dreamcast is playing up, wouldn't even load Sega Rally 2 at first and froze during the 3rd chapter of House of the Dead 2.

Could be down to not playing on it for a few months or just the laser dying. Seemed to improve the longer I had it on so not giving up on it just yet.

I had to take mine apart a couple of years ago as no games would work on it but it worked after a quick clean.. though it still doesn't like Virtua Striker 2 :hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a dangerous thread...

y4mVtAgveNSafLIopdDoeX7xJj_iDRFBKy-sX7vg

Randomly ended up at a CEX and they had a copy in really good condition apart from a minor nick on the spine and the disk holder being broke. Took it as a sign since we were just discussing it. :laughing:

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ike said:

This is a dangerous thread...

y4mVtAgveNSafLIopdDoeX7xJj_iDRFBKy-sX7vg

Randomly ended up at a CEX and they had a copy in really good condition apart from a minor nick on the spine and the disk holder being broke. Took it as a sign since we were just discussing it. :laughing:

Nice! Which branch was it in?

I walked past the one in the Metro Centre today and they had Panzer Dragoon Saga in the window. The outer sleeve was a wreck, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nice! Which branch was it in?

I walked past the one in the Metro Centre today and they had Panzer Dragoon Saga in the window. The outer sleeve was a wreck, though.

Durham. According to one the girls who work there some guy brought it in this morning with some Dreamcast games, although I didn't see anything noteworthy unless they hadn't put everything out yet. They had a Master System Mark II as well which was cool.

I had seen the Metro Centre store had Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn a few months back but it was gone the next time I visited. I assume it was sold.

Grainger Games was gone though, HMV was gone, GAME wasn't where I thought it was so I don't think if that's gone as well or moved. Pretty sad state for dedicated game stores on the high street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ike said:

 

Grainger Games was gone though, HMV was gone, GAME wasn't where I thought it was so I don't think if that's gone as well or moved. Pretty sad state for dedicated game stores on the high street.

Yeah, I went to Newcastle before heading to the Metro and checked Grainger while I was there. There was a notice in the window saying they were closed and thanked everyone for supporting them for 21 years. :( 

You seen the HMV in the Metro now? It's absolutely tiny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I went to Newcastle before heading to the Metro and checked Grainger while I was there. There was a notice in the window saying they were closed and thanked everyone for supporting them for 21 years. :( 

You seen the HMV in the Metro now? It's absolutely tiny. 

Yeah it's really sad considering it used to be 2 floors. Didn't the Newcastle store get downsizes as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites