tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

*Sigh* There was a box at work with a load of old video games stored in it which I always wanted to rummage through. Finally got some spare time this Easter holiday and it looks like they've gotten rid of it :cry:

Heartbreaking :sad:

When I was going through my parents' roof space the other day there were so many things I felt I needed to rescue. No respect shown to the games :nono:

Anyway, after watching the Sonic video @Hero-of-Time posted yesterday I've had such an urge to play the multiplayer of Sonic 2 with my brother. Need that nostalgia hit, intensified by the Mystic Cave music! Not sure why the audio in the single player was different, though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There should still be a box of Atari 2600 games in my loft or garage somewhere but we’ve never been able to find them. Drives me nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sort of feel a little like I've been pointlessly wasting time looking at Sega Saturn games and accessories over the last few days only to be greeted by the same feeling that pushed me away the last time. There just isn't really anything on it I truly desire to play other than maybe a quick blast on the ports of their arcade racing games.

Ultimately, I think I'd be wasting money on the console if I was to pick up a few games and should just be focusing on enjoying and getting the most out of what I already have.

That weird tag I've obtained doesn't seem to be entirely unjustified :heh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its definitely a weird console. I think its a good one to have for the 2D stuff and also fighters. Looking through its catalogue the other day I'd forgotten just how many top tier fighting games it had that were arcade quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Saturn but I can see why many don't. The software is very much a case of quality over quantity. Stuff like NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon and Shining The Holy Ark aren't for everyone.

If you were to mod it to play imports then the library becomes a treasure trove of 2D shooters and 2D fighters. Street Fighter vs Capcom, Marvel vs Streetfighter, Vampire Saviour, Pocket Fighter and Street Fighter Zero 3 have their definitive versions on this console.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I love the Saturn but I can see why many don't. The software is very much a case of quality over quantity. Stuff like NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon and Shining The Holy Ark aren't for everyone.

If you were to mod it to play imports then the library becomes a treasure trove of 2D shooters and 2D fighters. Street Fighter vs Capcom, Marvel vs Streetfighter, Vampire Saviour, Pocket Fighter and Street Fighter Zero 3 have their definitive versions on this console.

As someone who isn't really into fighting games, that's definitely not a selling point :grin:

I'd probably enjoy Panzer Dragoon but there isn't really an awful lot else. When I think of what I already own that I should be playing, I have to wonder why we sometimes feel that constant need to buy!

Have you ever known anyone to flip so quickly on things..? :red:

Edited by nekunando

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not one mention of Sega Rally, AKA the best racing game ever. You lot disgust me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Goafer said:

Not one mention of Sega Rally, AKA the best racing game ever. You lot disgust me.

Sega Rally is still in the roof space SOMEWHERE :hmm: (Along with Tomb Raider and perhaps one other game that I'm forgetting)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Not one mention of Sega Rally, AKA the best racing game ever. You lot disgust me.

I was never a fan of realistic car games. I owned it back in the day but I never really played it. One of my mates at the time loved it though. He would always pop over to play it, along with some two player HOTD and Virtua Cop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Not one mention of Sega Rally, AKA the best racing game ever. You lot disgust me.

I thought about mentioning it but decided its not really what the Saturn is known for. Its a good racing game on a console that excelled at 2D and fighting games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think I ever played Sega Rally 2. I was pretty much out of racing games by that point I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I thought about mentioning it but decided its not really what the Saturn is known for. Its a good racing game on a console that excelled at 2D and fighting games.

That and Manx TT was the better racing game. Strangely I really enjoyed that racing game. Must have been that Sheep cheat. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sega Rally always appealed to me and I've always wanted to give it a proper try. Daytona USA was the other one. Both seemed like pretty great games. We don't seem to have an awful lot of racers these days, or maybe they're just eluding me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Sega Rally was one of the Saturn games, like Virtua Fighter 2.  I just thought it was too obvious. :p Daytona USA, on the other hand, was an equally cool arcade game (if not more so), but the port wasn't considered as good.  I remember they made a 2nd Saturn version of it as well, which was considered better, but still not quite the same as the arcade original (I can't remember why - was it the handling?)

 

Personally, I really liked the arcade sequels Daytona 2 and Sega Rally 2 - great handling in both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Sega Rally always appealed to me and I've always wanted to give it a proper try. Daytona USA was the other one. Both seemed like pretty great games. We don't seem to have an awful lot of racers these days, or maybe they're just eluding me.

For me, I almost feel like a lot of modern racing games go for too much, be it open worlds or whatever, and I find it off-putting.

I prefer games like Top Gear Rally and Wave Race: Blue Storm where you have a small but diverse selection of tracks that change drastically depending on the weather conditions and progression isn't a convoluted mess. You pick a track, you play it and if you do well enough you go onto the next one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's face it. The best thing about Daytona USA was the music.

EDIT: And I've just come across this!

 

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nekunando said:

For me, I almost feel like a lot of modern racing games go for too much, be it open worlds or whatever, and I find it off-putting.

 

True, but almost every genre goes for too much nowadays.

 

13 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Let's face it. The best thing about Daytona USA was the music.

 

Can't argue with that.  I always felt the odd one out for not liking the handling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That and Manx TT was the better racing game. Strangely I really enjoyed that racing game. Must have been that Sheep cheat. :D 

You sir, can fuck right off. Manx TT is hot garbage compared to Sega Rally.

On a more serious note, I played Manx TT the other day and I really don't like it. I used to, but I don't think it has aged well. The handling is just wrong.

Sega Rally on the other hand is still just as good as the day it was released IMO. The only thing that lets it down is that it's hard to see far ahead as the resolution is limited. Learn the tracks though and that's soon overcome.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Goafer said:

You sir, can fuck right off. Manx TT is hot garbage compared to Sega Rally.

On a more serious note, I played Manx TT the other day and I really don't like it. I used to, but I don't think it has aged well. The handling is just wrong.

Sega Rally on the other hand is still just as good as the day it was released IMO. The only thing that lets it down is that it's hard to see far ahead as the resolution is limited. Learn the tracks though and that's soon overcome.

I played Manx TT yesterday :grin:

It's decent enough (better than the Isle of Man game I played on PS4 at my brother's the other day) but the handling would definitely take some getting used to. Hold the direction for a split second too long and your turn increases sharply!

You're point about 'learning the tracks' brings up something though. I love getting to know courses inside out, something which is helped when each course in a game is distinctive like in Mario Kart or Sega Rally. I despise racing lines in games. Yes, you can turn them off but when I played the motorbike game with my brother it was on and you end up just following the line and braking when it tells you rather than reading the track and figuring things out yourself. Absolutely awful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nekunando said:

 Hold the direction for a split second too long and your turn increases sharply!

This is what I hate. Sega Touring Car is the same, but even worse. 

God damn I love Sega Rally. Why can't there just be a remake with updated graphics, the same handling and maybe a few extra tracks?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my own fault of course but I’ve had the Daytona music stuck in my head all night and it’s starting to drive me a bit crazy!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, nekunando said:

As someone who isn't really into fighting games, that's definitely not a selling point :grin:

I'd probably enjoy Panzer Dragoon but there isn't really an awful lot else. When I think of what I already own that I should be playing, I have to wonder why we sometimes feel that constant need to buy!

Have you ever known anyone to flip so quickly on things..? :red:

Saturn is the place to go if you're looking for the 32 bit arcade experience; but if you're looking for adventure games or RPGs? Then it's a bit lacking (outside of a select few, and often extremely rare and expensive, releases).  It does do the arcade experience really well though! So if you're itching for those quick fire, all-killer-no-filler experiences, I heartily recommend it!  There's plenty of great arcade style games that aren't 2D fighting games, like NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, the Panzer Dragoon trilogy, Dynamite Deka/Die Hard Arcade, Virtual On, Sega Rally Championship, Virtua Cop, House of the Dead 1 and loads of compilations of arcade titles, like the Salamander collection.

 

That being said, some of its high profile games (and ports of Model 2 arcade games) are actually now available in superior form elsewhere.  The arcade versions of Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Striker, Virtual On and Daytona USA are all available on the PS3's PSN, while Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes are available (in superior form and at a mere fraction of the price of the Saturn version) on the 360.

 

Avoid the NiGHTS HD port though, the controls are totally borked on all platforms and the game just doesn't look right; also, the various ports of the original Panzer Dragoon are all inferior to the original Saturn version; stick with the original Saturn versions of these.

 

I would also suggest getting the PS1 versions of Silhouette Mirage and Thunder Force 5 from the Japanese PSN, purely because they're so much cheaper than the Saturn versions.  While the Saturn versions are actually better, with better quality visuals, I can't justify the massive price increase to get them on the Saturn, when they're available for a mere 600 yen on the JPN PSN.

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For PAL releases, here's a list of what  think are the games to own and play on the system. It's a pretty easy console to collect for, at least in terms of the amount of must have games. The problem is, as Dcubed said, that a lot of these games cost close to £100 or above. The bolded games are the ones that will cost the most and Panzer Dragoon Saga will cost you over £300 if you want it complete. 

  • Sega Ages
  • Deep Fear
  • Shining Force 3
  • Shining Holy Ark
  • Mystaria
  • Sonic R
  • Sonic 3D
  • Sonic Jam
  • NiGHTS
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Virtua Fighter Remix
  • Last Bronx
  • Fighting Vipers
  • Virtua Fighter Kids
  • Fighters Megamix
  • Manx TT Superbikes
  • Sega Rally
  • Daytona USA
  • Daytona USA: CCE
  • Burning Rangers
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Panzer Dragoon Zwei
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Virtua Cop
  • Virtua Cop 2
  • House of the Dead
  • Die Hard Arcade
  • Guardian Heroes
  • Dark Saviour 
  • Saturn Bomberman
  • Dragon Force
  • Baku Baku
  • Clockwork Knight
  • Clockwork Knight 2
  • Christmas NiGHTS
  • Megaman X3
  • Athlete Kings
  • Winter Heat

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites