NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Ah man, each time I enter this thread I head straight to eBay.

Have obtained reasonable boxed copies of Ocarina, WCW vs NWO Revenge and Lylat Wars, with a pretty mint copy of Mario 64 to finish up for now. Also grabbed a 9/10 N64 controller and found one of my old ones in the attic that miraculously still works okay.

I've also obtained a free 21" CRT someone was giving away around the corner on Gumtree. Has an RGB scart, composite inputs and can rock 60hz, so that's the display sorted for the systems I'm gonna have set up.

Another cool get was a complete Megadrive 2, collected from a nearby town, for £25 - kind of a rough location though. Kept wondering if I was gonna die collecting a fucking Megadrive.

Spending so far has been moderate. Gonna try and keep the collecting to a couple of titles a month, likely whatever I feel like playing through at the time so I'm buying to play first and collect second.

Edited by Guy

My PS2 Slim is destroying my discs :( I got Klonoa 2 and Parappa 2 in great condition but looking at the back of the discs, they suddenly have big circle indents in them after playing them, the ps2 is basically sanding them away :'(

My PS2 Slim is destroying my discs :( I got Klonoa 2 and Parappa 2 in great condition but looking at the back of the discs, they suddenly have big circle indents in them after playing them, the ps2 is basically sanding them away :'(

Is it a faulty PS2 slim or do they all do it over time? I ask because I have PS2 slim consoles, though I haven't used it that much apart from the odd hour or so here and there.

If it turns out to be the fault of your PS2 slim then let me know and I can send you one of mine as a replacement if it turns out that you need one. : peace:

Indeed I just did a quick search and it seems that it's down to the ribbon connector catching on the actual disc as it spins round! You can gently push it out of the way but apparently you need to be careful not to break it according to video guides... well I learned something today. :)

Anyway my offer stands either way but I hope you manage to get it sorted one way or another, can't have your PS2 wrecking your games or leaving you not able to play them! :(

Is it a faulty PS2 slim or do they all do it over time? I ask because I have PS2 slim consoles, though I haven't used it that much apart from the odd hour or so here and there.

If it turns out to be the fault of your PS2 slim then let me know and I can send you one of mine as a replacement if it turns out that you need one. : peace:

Indeed I just did a quick search and it seems that it's down to the ribbon connector catching on the actual disc as it spins round! You can gently push it out of the way but apparently you need to be careful not to break it according to video guides... well I learned something today. :)

Anyway my offer stands either way but I hope you manage to get it sorted one way or another, can't have your PS2 wrecking your games or leaving you not able to play them! :(

I did the same search and it is the ribbon - and it's REALLY bad! It sticks out a good CM, and its white where it's been scratching everything. I try and prod it back in but it bounces right back up, I think whoever sold it me must have left it turned off for a good year or two with the ribbon out so it's kinda stuck as is :(

That's a very kind offer! I was looking to buy a new one actually! I'll get back to you on payday with a worthy offer :D As I'm DYING to play Klonoa and Parappa but am holding off as I don't wanna damage the discs more than I already have!

That's a very kind offer! I was looking to buy a new one actually! I'll get back to you on payday with a worthy offer :D As I'm DYING to play Klonoa and Parappa but am holding off as I don't wanna damage the discs more than I already have!

You're most welcome Josh :) would payday be this Friday? If so then I'll see if I can check the status of the PS2 slim consoles I have tomorrow at some point - right now I'm writing up a certain article which will go live in an hour or two with any luck ;) - as I'm sure I can find you a replacement, if it's just the console you need with no leads - as presumably the ones you have work fine - then it won't cost that much at all, I'll be cheaper than eBay at any rate plus you know, N-E staff member discount and all that. :p

We'll have you playing Klonoa and Parappa again before you know it! :grin:

You're most welcome Josh :) would payday be this Friday? If so then I'll see if I can check the status of the PS2 slim consoles I have tomorrow at some point - right now I'm writing up a certain article which will go live in an hour or two with any luck ;) - as I'm sure I can find you a replacement, if it's just the console you need with no leads - as presumably the ones you have work fine - then it won't cost that much at all, I'll be cheaper than eBay at any rate plus you know, N-E staff member discount and all that. :p

We'll have you playing Klonoa and Parappa again before you know it! :grin:

AWESOME! And no, I won't be needing the cables thankfully, there's so many going into my tv that I dread having to trawl through that electric spaghetti, so I'll take my devil slim out and put the new one in its place.

And no way, I wonder what that could be :p And just to be awkward no, I get paid on Monday!

AWESOME! And no, I won't be needing the cables thankfully, there's so many going into my tv that I dread having to trawl through that electric spaghetti, so I'll take my devil slim out and put the new one in its place.

And no way, I wonder what that could be :p And just to be awkward no, I get paid on Monday!

No cables? No worries! :awesome:

You'll just have to wait and see... ;) Also that's not awkward at all, just that I have this week off so I will at least check for you, I'm mostly free again most of Monday in addition to Tues/Weds so sorting out posting of it is no issue. :)

Indeed, I may be going to the Post Office once or twice this week from selling a few bits and pieces anyway, so if you PM me your details anyway, chances are I can even send it to you before you get paid if you're eager to get playing again? The level of trust here on N-E is strong so it's no problem - I've posted stuff this way on here before I'm sure - plus I've known you for how long now? Happy to help anyway. :D

Guh-Huh!

Breeee!!

2a9nq0m.jpg

(sorry guys, the pic totally wasn't that way around when it was uploaded)

Edited by Retro_Link

A fantastic addition to any N64 collection!

You going to buy Tooie as well?

Top 5 N64 games for sure. An absolute classic.

Don't thiiiiink so. Banjo Tooie doesn't have an real personal connection (skipped it on the N64) and for a collection I think Banjo Kazooie just encompasses everything so perfectly.

Plus that money should probably go towards some of those more expensive N64 games...

Plus that money should probably go towards some of those more expensive N64 games...

That is one of the more expensive ones. :D

Mario Party 3, Paper Mario, Kirby and Conkers Bad Fur Day are the highest priced games. These usually go for around £100-£130 each. You then have Smash Bros and Banjo Tooie going for £70+.

Saying that, you are just going with cartridges, aren't you? This should bring the cost down by a fair bit.

Yep I'll be after Mario Party, Kirby, Smash, Paper Mario and Conker... *yelp*

Paper Mario and Conker are going to be around £100 I think...

Thing is, the auctions with the best condition carts are usually the ones that include boxes/manuals of various conditions and that gets other buyers involved.

Not wanting to have CRTs all over the place I've been looking at other options to get a decent picture on HDTVs with older consoles. I came across this the other day

image_zpszpdeozir.jpeg

It's been praised by many retro gamers on YouTube and for £20 I figured it was worth a shot. It arrived today and gave it a quick go on my Mega Drive II.

Before

image_zpsfaejs9ou.jpeg

After

image_zpsrbkm0q2y.jpeg

Off screen pics can't really do it justice but if you look at the tree and the TRIES writing you can see just how more detailed and sharper the images are. My MD games no longer look like a blurry mess! Result!

I'm gonna see if I can nab a GameCube scart lead sometime soon and give that a whirl.

You can totally tell the difference in those pics, so if it looks even better in person that's a great result!! :)

Might have to look into one of those sometime.

Nice, that's an awesome improvement! Is that World of Illusion? One of my childhood favourites!

Is it worth getting a Super Famicom Jr over the regular console. What are the differences apart from the design?

Is it worth getting a Super Famicom Jr over the regular console. What are the differences apart from the design?

There are none, other than the removal of the expansion port (so no Satellaview) and no RGB support on the SNES Jr.

So, I went to the retro games fair at Doncaster the other week and my awesome wife decided she wanted a NES for Mother's Day.

Some on here might remember I was big into my retro games and consoles but about 4 or 5 years ago now I sold everything because it was just sitting in the garage getting damp. Jesus, the prices have jumped in that time!

Anyway the bug has bitten! We have an unboxed NES and Master system. 4 unboxed NES games, 2 boxed master system games and 1 unboxed.

My favourite console has to be the SNES so I went a bit more collective with that one and bought a star fox boxed edition one. Box is a 7/10 the console is a 9/10 no yellowing but missing the original plug. All the inserts are there with the original warranty card :D

Mario All stars, Super Mario world, jungle book, looney tunes and today I managed to get super Mario world 2 for £20. Very happy :D

I love it how all of us oldies are turning to the retro scene for our gaming fix! Beats messing around with half finished games, day one patches and micro transactions!

I love it how all of us oldies are turning to the retro scene for our gaming fix! Beats messing around with half finished games, day one patches and micro transactions!

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

I treat games like I treat films and music. You can have both the old stuff and the new. :D

I treat games like I treat films and music. You can have both the old stuff and the new. :D

Absolutely. I just find it funny that there's a bunch of us playing really old games at the moment, while we all have games on the newer consoles that could be played.

I've certainly enjoyed playing through some of the classics at the moment and have found the experiences more satisfying than some of the newer stuff I've recently played. Clearly I'm turning into @nekunando. :D

Absolutely. I just find it funny that there's a bunch of us playing really old games at the moment, while we all have games on the newer consoles that could be played.

I've certainly enjoyed playing through some of the classics at the moment and have found the experiences more satisfying than some of the newer stuff I've recently played. Clearly I'm turning into @nekunando. :D

Prefers retro games to modern titles - Check

Supports Liverpool - Check

Massive Bloc Party fan - Undecided

You're getting there. With a bit of work, you could turn into his fine apprentice.

Prefers retro games to modern titles - Check

Supports Liverpool - Check

Massive Bloc Party fan - Undecided

You're getting there. With a bit of work, you could turn into his fine apprentice.

I dunno who or what Bloc Party are. Does this bode well for me? :D

I dunno who or what Bloc Party are. Does this bode well for me? :D

...No. :heh:

Bloc Party, the band. I'm not sure about this @nekunando apprentice thing, after all. :D

Edited by Fierce_LiNk