Jump to content
NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Recommended Posts

I usually just plug them in and see what's on them. I could never stick stuff on them. :eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

both GB players i was bidding on went over £200 not paying that by a mile. Picked up a nice copy of Soul Calibur 2 on Gamecube though.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, martinist said:

both GB players i was bidding on went over £200 not paying that by a mile. 

Crazy. I thought prices would start coming down now, especially with most people's finances being stretched at the moment and needed for other things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Crazy. I thought prices would start coming down now, especially with most people's finances being stretched at the moment and needed for other things. 

Retro consoles and accessories are usually bundled in with the essentials as we all know.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Happenstance said:

Retro consoles and accessories are usually bundled in with the essentials as we all know.

It does seem that way. I haven't bought any retro goods in ages but I do like to browse on ebay. Despite what's going on in the world, retro games and consoles are still highly sought after. People probably want them to remind them of better times and take their mind off things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It does seem that way. I haven't bought any retro goods in ages but I do like to browse on ebay. Despite what's going on in the world, retro games and consoles are still highly sought after. People probably want them to remind them of better times and take their mind off things.

I do miss buying a game in Beatties then sitting outside a changing room waiting for my mum to try something on while I read the manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I do miss buying a game in Beatties then sitting outside a changing room waiting for my mum to try something on while I read the manual.

Man, Beatties. That takes me back. My dad used to go in there to look at the model trains and buses. I would check out the games and look at the movie model kits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Man, Beatties. That takes me back. My dad used to go in there to look at the model trains and buses. I would check out the games and look at the movie model kits.

Beatties was fantastic, they had this massive action force vehicle playset in the window. I wanted it but it way too expensive for my parents. They opened a second store focused on games called Virtual Reality next door to it in Meadowhall. Had a huge VR machine right in the middle, obviously with the name of the store.

Best memory I have of Beatties is everyone (kids and parents) opening up the mini boglins boxes and swapping them around so they didn't get any doubles. Good times and the staff didn't seem to mind.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, nekunando said:

Curious if anyone here has a different system? :grin:

GameCube? I just use a Memory Card 1019; it’s more than big enough for every game I own with plenty of change.  Slot B contains a Memory Card 259 which I use exclusively with Japanese region titles (since they can’t share a memory card alongside US/EU titles).

Dreamcast? I just leave 4 controllers plugged in with all of my VMUs permanently attached (you can imagine the screeching noise they make on console power up :laughing:).

PS1? My MiSTer Multisystem has completely replaced the original hardware for me; and all my PS2 games are covered by my PS3/other relevant platforms via re-releases.

I hate juggling multiple memory cards, so I go out of my way to avoid it :hehe:

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

..you can imagine the screeching noise they make on console power up :laughing:

I can :laughing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

GameCube? I just use a Memory Card 1019

I had no idea Nintendo released such a high capacity memory card - though 259 was as high as it went

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, killthenet said:

I had no idea Nintendo released such a high capacity memory card - though 259 was as high as it went

It was released pretty late into the system's life and I don't think they were ever released in Europe; US/JPN only.  Memory cards are all region free though, so it doesn't really matter in this day & age.  They're not really all that expensive either (think I got mine for about £15 about 6 months ago or so), so I'd recommend one :)

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It was released pretty late into the system's life and I don't think they were ever released in Europe; US/JPN only.  Memory cards are all region free though, so it doesn't really matter in this day & age.  They're not really all that expensive either (think I got mine for about £15 about 6 months ago or so), so I'd recommend one :)

Did you ever have any issues with that high capacity card. Back in the day I remember reading on forums (probably Gamefaqs) that they were more prone to corruption than the lower memory ones. It's why I never imported it.

9 hours ago, lostmario said:

Beatties was fantastic, they had this massive action force vehicle playset in the window. I wanted it but it way too expensive for my parents. They opened a second store focused on games called Virtual Reality next door to it in Meadowhall. Had a huge VR machine right in the middle, obviously with the name of the store.

Best memory I have of Beatties is everyone (kids and parents) opening up the mini boglins boxes and swapping them around so they didn't get any doubles. Good times and the staff didn't seem to mind.

Yeah, their window displays were always amazing and that Boglins story is great. :D Ah, to be a kid again. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you ever have any issues with that high capacity card. Back in the day I remember reading on forums (probably Gamefaqs) that they were more prone to corruption than the lower memory ones. It's why I never imported it.

Nope.  Has worked like a champ for me with every game I've thrown at it.

I know that 3rd party ones can be dodgy, but the official Memory Card 1019 has never given me any issues :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.7bdcad4995999fe6a79f0ff6998dee65.png

More than I wanted to pay. £151 total but atleast i have it now.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, martinist said:

image.thumb.png.7bdcad4995999fe6a79f0ff6998dee65.png

More than I wanted to pay. £151 total but atleast i have it now.

Congrats! You've been after it for ages but at least the hunt is finally over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 9/20/2022 at 8:23 PM, Helmsly said:

I thought some of you would really enjoy this, it’s a hour long tour through E3 in 1999. Aside from the nostalgia, it’s interesting to see some of these games in their early builds and compare it to the final version. You also get a look at the axed mode to scan your face and put it onto characters in Perfect Dark:

 

Seems they have the full Nintendo press conference from 1999 as well now

 

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/10/2022 at 3:17 PM, Dcubed said:

@Ike Have you tried out any of the new Open FPGA cores for the Analogue Pocket? Any impressions you can give so far? Really wishing that I bought one earlier on now… (Decided to nab one and a Dock when the Open FPGA update came out… Being part of Group C really sucks :().

Not yet, was meaning to look into it so thanks for the reminder.

5 hours ago, martinist said:

More than I wanted to pay. £151 total but at least i have it now.

It was probably best to just rip the band-aid off at this point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed out on a gaming job lot on Facebook marketplace yesterday morning which I was a bit annoyed about as sitting right in the middle of it all was Banjo-Tooie...

Anyway, as I do, I was searching for N64 stuff later in the afternoon and there it is.

eubVQA5.png

Messaged him offering £30 which he came back with "£35?" but something seemed off , that's not the PAL version cover. Is it a repro? No, it's the Australian version.

I messaged him again telling him it wasn't the UK PAL version but the Australian version and I was still interested but not at £30. Offered him £25 and he accepted.

He ended up inviting me in to look at all the games & consoles he got for £140. N64, Dreamcast, PS2 slim and a few £15-20 black label PS1 games in fantastic condition.

Just finished off making a custom box and insert for it. Probably redo it at some point in the future as I'm not really happy with it but it'll do for now.

8cZAZzA.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Helmsly said:

Seems they have the full Nintendo press conference from 1999 as well now.

Gave this a watch last night. It's hilarious how dry it is compared to when E3 really kicked in. It was weird seeing the early footage of JFG, what with the characters being modelled like kids. I still remember seeing screenshots of this version in N64 magazine. Was the DK64 footage the build where the guns still looked real? It was hard to tell because of the rough footage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After getting that gameboy player i've been looking at other rare gamecube games. I was actually contemplating buying a relitivly cheep copy of gotcha force for £200 but i ended up picking up a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends for about £70. I can't stop now, i'm too commited! I'm financially invested! I need more Gamecube games!

Picked up a loose cart of denki blocks for next to nothnig, i'll start looking at gameboy games in the next week or so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, martinist said:

After getting that gameboy player i've been looking at other rare gamecube games. I was actually contemplating buying a relitivly cheep copy of gotcha force for £200 but i ended up picking up a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends for about £70. I can't stop now, i'm too commited! I'm financially invested! I need more Gamecube games!

Picked up a loose cart of denki blocks for next to nothnig, i'll start looking at gameboy games in the next week or so.

It's crazy how much Gotcha Force goes for now. It's probably the most expensive PAL game that's actually worth playing. 

This was me back in July 2006 speaking in the GameCube Collection thread...

Quote

Also just picked up Gotcha Force off ebay still sealed for £12. That's another game in my collection.

Absolutely nuts. I should have bought more! :D 

Skies of Arcadia Legends is an absolute winner. Over the years I've been tempted so many times to replay it. It's one of the best JRPGs ever created. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's crazy how much Gotcha Force goes for now. It's probably the most expensive PAL game that's actually worth playing. 

This was me back in July 2006 speaking in the GameCube Collection thread...

Surely this can't be right... surely FE: POR is worth way more... [checks eBay]...

3QLnuYh.png

HOLY SHIT!! :o

TBF, FE: Path of Radiance PAL is about on par with this.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy, right? The US version always went for a stupid amount but the PAL release was never this high. I think the US price has inflated the UK one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×