NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Thats some good viewing right there. Lots of little bits of info in this vid that I never knew about.

I'm due another play through of this game and watching this may be the thing to give me a push to do so.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm due another play through of this game and watching this may be the thing to give me a push to do so.

You don't have an active NSO account, do you? Otherwise, I would suggest an online 2-player playthrough.

Yeah, I've got an active account but have no interest in a 2 player playthrough. It was always a single player experience for me.

On 06/05/2022 at 4:03 PM, Happenstance said:

I got the controller and it's pretty good. Comfortable, nice triggers and very customisable in the software/android app which is helpful.

I have one too (can't remember which model specifically) and it's been well worth it for 2D games and/ or 2-player games instead of the drifty joy-cons. Just can be a bit finicky to get it synched sometimes but once I'm gaming it feels good, especially with the NES and SNES games on Switch.

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Replayed Mario World 12 or so months ago and unsurprisingly, it holds up to this day. Only needed a few levels to get used to the screen scroll and weight and feel of Mario and then I was back into it. :cool: Finished with 94 exits though. Sloppy.

Something never felt quite right when I played Super Mario World. I think I came to it way too late.

The Money Programme looks at the burgeoning global video games market. The release of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Megadrive - which has become the fastest-selling game of all time, and looks set to become the highest-grossing entertainment product of 1992 - has demonstrated that games are capable of usurping the sales of the traditional record industry. Is the entertainment market big enough to accommodate this electronic hedgehog and his video game kin, or will the success of electronic games inevitably lead to sales of other media dwindling?

While consoles were warring amongst themselves, toys were missing out and the music industry was quaking in its boots. And that was when games were only at 11% market penetration in the UK. :laughing: Surely games were about to lay waste to the rest of entertainment. 

• Thanks 2

Might have to give that a watch! I enjoyed all the N64 wrestling games I played--each subsequent release seemed to build off the last one. Who'd have thought No Mercy would still reign supreme as the undisputed champ to this day. :cool: 

FTEJ8VyXwAEbNEF?format=jpg&name=large

So, a new prototype of Shenmue 2 has been shown off, and the best part? You can play as Yu Suzuki! 

Awesome stuff :D

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

That's amazing! Very interesting to see that some of the beta content from this build (music in particular) actually ended up getting repurposed for Shenmue 3!

Super interesting stuff! :D

Found another Gameboy Player on eBay but it's got a week to go so the price is probably going to shoot way up. We'll see what happens.

Edited by martinist

5 minutes ago, martinist said:

Found another Gameboy Player on eBay but it's got a week to go so the price is probably going to shoot way up. We'll see what happens.

Seems like they go for around the £150 mark these days. Retro game collecting is insane now.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Sad 1

If you want to stick with the official disc solution, might I recommend trying to get a Japanese GBP disc instead of the PAL one?  Not only is it much cheaper, but it also supports 480p output, making it the superior product anyway; unlike the PAL version which is stuck with 576i/480i only.

There's a JPN disc on ebay right now going for about £55.  You can use any region GBP hardware with any region disc BTW, though obviously you can't run the JPN disc on a PAL gamecube without some sort of region free device, such as the Freeloader or Action Replay.

Alternatively, you could always bypass the official disc altogether and just use the homebrew Game Boy Interface app; which offers superior image quality compared to the official disc anyway.

Don't know if this has been posted, but I was recently made aware of this:

It looks quite promising actually for playing retro games.

I didn't even know this was a thing but, sure enough, I fired up Mario Kart Wii with this easy solution and had a race online immediately!

Would definitely be interested in digging up a couple of old favourites like Mario Strikers Charged Football, Goldeneye and Pro Evolution Soccer if anyone is up for it :grin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I didn't even know this was a thing but, sure enough, I fired up Mario Kart Wii with this easy solution and had a race online immediately!

Would definitely be interested in digging up a couple of old favourites like Mario Strikers Charged Football, Goldeneye and Pro Evolution Soccer if anyone is up for it :grin:

I can barely organise a game of Turtles on launch day! So good luck with that.

It is neat how easy it is to do, even if Mario Kart Wii is nowhere near as balanced as 8 Deluxe. It might as well be called Funky Bike.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, nekunando said:

Yeah, it's pretty amazing that they got it all working so well!

DS games have also been brought back online as well, and the way you get it up and running doesn't require any modding whatsoever.  You literally just put in a specific DNS address into your DS/DSi's settings and that's it! Everything's back up and running again!

I'd love to organise a retro Wii/DS online night at some point! :D

• Like 1

On 18/06/2022 at 10:32 PM, Glen-i said:

I can barely organise a game of Turtles on launch day! So good luck with that.

Had it been exclusively on the Switch then it probably would have been easy to organise but you have people like myself and RedShell you are playing it on other platforms.

So here's something interesting that maybe only I care about, but I'll share anyway:

This Youtuber, doing God's work, is one of the very few sources confirming what the 90s were like for console videogames in my country. Speaking from memory, all of it lines up, except for the "Every place was selling consoles" part, which I definitely do not recollect. Major nostalgia when he mentioned the Saturn's killer app, too!

My only complaint is that he kinda glossed over the Game Boy's success, which was huge. Pretty much the one Nintendo product that Concentra (*spits on the floor*) did not ruin. God, just hearing that name makes my blood boil still.

Anyway, yeah, if you want to hear how the 90s were like here in bizarro land, check the video out. I promise it's good.

While I continue to procrastinate on updating the Gaming Diary thread for the first time this year, one of my aims for the year was to get through the God of War games I could before Ragnarök launches. For some odd reason they're not all available as part of the new PS Plus, and I just don't like being beholden to streaming, so now that we know Ragnarök coming in November, I decided to pull the trigger:

FYv699WXkAAhRBQ?format=jpg&name=large

(Not pictured: God of War III Remastered, because it's on PS4, and kind of not retro? Wait, is PS3 even considered retro? Well it is to me :p)

Looking forward to playing through these for the first time in the next few months before I replay God of War (2018) to get ready for Ragnarök :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic haul. The original God of War has aged a lot compared to the rest but it's still decent to see where the series started. The second game is a massive leap from the first and then GoW3 just goes off the scale in terms of it's set pieces. The PSP games are VERY underrated games and well worth playing through. What Ready at Dawn pulled off on that hardware was a miracle. Ascension is the weakest of the bunch and you can see why they gave the series a shake up with GoW 2018. Its the only one I never got the platinum on. I should really sort that out at some point.

I can't wait to read your thoughts on the series as you play through them. It's great having a younger member on here who is experiencing these games for the first time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1