tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

An excellent expose video from Karl Jobst about the rise of Graded video games in recent years.  Some brilliant research here that shows how Heritage Auctions and WADA Games are artificially (and illegally) manipulating the video game collecting market with fake auctions & shill bidding (including the recent record breaking sale of Super Mario Bros for $1.5 million), and are artificially raising the prices of all retro games for everyone.

Turns out that the guys behind this recent scam are actually the same people who pulled the same scam with the American Coin Collecting market in the 80s!

It's a lengthy video (about 50 mins long), but it's a real eye opener! Strongly recommend a watch!

In fact, it was such a good documentary video that it inspired a market researcher to break the silence and publicly post data on the true scarcity of CIB, Sealed and Graded NES games (information that WADA Games and Heretage Auctions have deliberatly tried to hide!)

Crazy stuff! :o

I remember being very surprised by the news of that insanely expensive Mario 64 a while back, but didn't really give it much more thought at the time, well, other than wishing my own copy of Mario 64 was still factory sealed. :heh:

• Thanks 1

Lovely interview with Mike Wikan, who was a Senior Game Designer on all three Metroid Prime games!

Goes over his time at Retro, how he butted heads with Kensuke Tanabe over the difficulty of Boost Guardian & Spider Guardian, how the games were built and lots of other awesome little tidbits (apparently the written Luminoth language is based on sign language!).

Well worth a watch! :peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We need a new F-Zero game dammit! :bouncy: Hell, even a remaster of GX with added online play would be great.

The way Nintendo continues to sit on this franchise is so frustrating. :shakehead

• Thanks 1

So it looks like the Polymega is FINALLY now shipping out to people who preordered (about 4 years ago!).

Did anyone here order one?

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

So it looks like the Polymega is FINALLY now shipping out to people who preordered (about 4 years ago!).

I didn't even know what it was (or had completely forgotten about it :blank:) until just now, so I didn't order one... I think. :heh:

Looks sweet though! :cool: Very cool idea indeed.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Yep, and I cancelled the pre-order a while back, as the refund was more useful to me.

Interesting to learn that the units are finally getting shipped out, I'm sure that those who still wanted one will be glad to receive them.

It's not even that I didn't think the machine would come out, I just decided that I didn't need it, as while the support for most 32-Bit and below CD machines is nice, the reality is that it probably wouldn't get used that much, and although the unit saves space, plus you can apply patches etc, regions... all that, the machine is better off going to someone else who will really make proper use of it.

I'm happy with most of my original hardware, and the limited number of excellent FPGA machines from Analogue that I already have, but even then, I cancelled an NT Noir for the same reason, I don't need it, I have a Mega SG and a Super NT which I use, and I may now consider an Analogue Duo if it's around £250 or less, but it would still be a considered purchase even then.

Edited by S.C.G