NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Isn't "the movie one" also a Beat'em Up? I loved that game.

The movie game is a scrolling beat em up, like Final Fight or Streets of Rage. The TV series game was a one on one fighter.

I think I might have to hook my Retron 5 back up this weekend and play some retro gaming goodness. Getting all nostalgic again.

Can't say that I can think of any specific ones, but I have a set of el-cheapo clear plastic ones that I got from Argos for about a tenner many years ago that I use for my various gaming accessories (old controllers, cables, adapters etc) and it does the job just fine.

I don't use them for games, but I'm sure that they'd do the job for you if they still do them...

More on topic though, in preparation for the upcoming release of Mushihimesama and the onslaught of Cave shooters on Steam (as well as my recent arcadey game binge), I finally got round to upgrading my Wii Tatsucap arcade stick with proper Sanwa parts!

122EC5A9-072F-4944-BF74-AA40B376FEC7_zps9xabay6h.jpg

Also got a Mayflash Classic Controller adapter that lets me use classic controllers/the Tatsucap stick on my PC (and bizzarly enough, it works on PS3 too ;) )

My fingers are ready for bullet hell! :D

As someone who never understood the appeal of arcade sticks - how are these better than using a controller? They look really awkward to me.

tumblr_nctus7X7031qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Now I want to play this...

As someone who never understood the appeal of arcade sticks - how are these better than using a controller? They look really awkward to me.

Well it depends on the game itself. They're really good for making quick motions and for button mashing, so they're great for games like Metal Slug, Magical Drop, many old school shmups or the many 2D fighters out there (though I'm not really a fan of traditional fighters myself).

But mostly it just better replicates the controls that those arcade games were originally designed for; makes it feel more like you're playing on an actual cabinet :) There's a tactile feeling that you get that just feels nice, even if it doesn't necessarily make you play better.

Great video. The SNES version looked amazing but the N64 one....not so much.

The early Banjo footage was great. It looked very much like a Crash Bandicoot game, what with being 2D but being able to move towards and away from the camera.

Got the urge to play Banjo-Kazooie now. :D

The SNES version looked much further along than I had ever expected! It looks great! Cool to see that the giant Dinosaur Foot idea got reused in Banjo Tooie in the end ;)

BK Beta is just bizzare! It actually looks a lot like that fan game from a few years back! Just goes to show how influential Mario 64 really was!

Really cool to see how many enemies got repurposed from that old prototype into the final version too :D

RetroPieSplashscreenBlue.jpg

Thanks to a Raspberry Pi and RetroPie, I now have a little console capable to playing a shit-tonne of emulators. So far, I've just set up SNES and Mega Drive. I've managed to get full ROM sets for each, so I'm a bit spoilt for choice really.

The Pi itself had proved a complete pain in the arse, especially since it needs to be wired to my router downstairs to transfer ROMs easily (can be done with USB, but it's a bit fiddly). Setting up the controls and making the OS use the full memory card has been the hardest part, but this walkthrough has been the most useful one I've found. The only extra step I had was that I had to set up the controls manually for each emulator and make sure it saves the configuration on exiting (which weirdly, it doesn't do by default).

Thanks to a Raspberry Pi and RetroPie, I now have a little console capable to playing a shit-tonne of emulators. So far, I've just set up SNES and Mega Drive. I've managed to get full ROM sets for each, so I'm a bit spoilt for choice really.

The Pi itself had proved a complete pain in the arse, especially since it needs to be wired to my router downstairs to transfer ROMs easily (can be done with USB, but it's a bit fiddly). Setting up the controls and making the OS use the full memory card has been the hardest part, but this walkthrough has been the most useful one I've found. The only extra step I had was that I had to set up the controls manually for each emulator and make sure it saves the configuration on exiting (which weirdly, it doesn't do by default).

Yeah, that's the problem with RetroPie, or rather RetroArch, it's a nightmare to configure. The Android version is a lot worse, I can't work out how to make it save my control configs.

I'd recommend getting a USB wireless adapter, that way you can connect to your Pi directly as a network drive (In Windows just type \\RetroPie in the address bar in Windows Explorer, MAC/Linux you can access it via Samba.) and drag 'n' drop your files in. Plus it saves you connecting it to your router every time you need to update.

You might want to look into overclocking if you want to go higher than SNES/Mega Drive, the option is in the Raspi-config utility where you expanded your SD card memory.

Yeah, I've already overclocked it a bit, since Zelda ran like arse in the rainy prologue bit.

It's only a Raspberry Pi 1, so I may upgrade to the latest one at some point.

Does anyone know if you can get GameCube to PS2 ports? I've found plenty of the opposite but nothing for what I'm after. I have a DDR Mario mix and third party dance mat for my GameCube and recently got a PS2, there's loads of DDR games that I'd be tempted to pick up for it if I can get those controllers working but don't really wanna have to bother with getting another double set of dance mats.

Does anyone know if you can get GameCube to PS2 ports? I've found plenty of the opposite but nothing for what I'm after. I have a DDR Mario mix and third party dance mat for my GameCube and recently got a PS2, there's loads of DDR games that I'd be tempted to pick up for it if I can get those controllers working but don't really wanna have to bother with getting another double set of dance mats.

I know that there are some PS2 to GCN controller adapters out there... I'd imagine that many of them would also work in reverse!

Edit: Oh BTW, random, but I stumbled onto something cool...

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/keiji-yamagishi-on-his-past-and-future-in-game-music

An interview with the composer of Ninja Gaiden NES, Keiji Yamagishi! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Decided to check if Panzer Dragoon Saga had gone up in price since I bought it last year for £160. Turns out it's hard to find for under £200 now, with quite a few copies listed for £300. Splendid.

Ebay Search

Decided to check if Panzer Dragoon Saga had gone up in price since I bought it last year for £160. Turns out it's hard to find for under £200 now, with quite a few copies listed for £300. Splendid.

Ebay Search

I think most of the Saturn games have gone up. Stuff like Shining The Holy Ark was going for around £30 this time last year. It's now double the price. Burning Rangers, Shining Force 3 and Deep Fear have also gone up.

I think most of the Saturn games have gone up. Stuff like Shining The Holy Ark was going for around £30 this time last year. It's now double the price. Burning Rangers, Shining Force 3 and Deep Fear have also gone up.

Looks like Burning Rangers has a new place on the "Shelf of Valuable Games" then.

Assuming I can remember where it is (the game, not the shelf)...

I've been tempted to sell the Limited Edition of Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water since the moment I realised it was nowhere near worth the £49.99 I spent on it. Presumably if I hold onto it for a few years, it may end up increasing drastically in price ::shrug:

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone ever wonder what certain games would have turned out like if they had appeared on another console?

I'm playing the Dreamcast a lot this month (and loving it :love:) but one genre where it always lacked in quality was football games. Virtua Striker is fun for the odd game every now and then but I always wonder what Pro Evolution Soccer would have been like if it had came out on the system and how it would have played :grin:

What would Metal Gear Solid have been like as an N64 game? Obviously we'll never know but part of me would just love to see how games like that would have turned out :heh:

Looks like Burning Rangers has a new place on the "Shelf of Valuable Games" then.

Assuming I can remember where it is (the game, not the shelf)...

Found it:

12644729_10156558189700341_523577213512908594_n.jpg?oh=cf149f5c3d76f7f723826f55fcc852c0&oe=5740E6D8&__gda__=1463540080_3b283e3e4afd01ea0e2a0afd6f365d95

Did I hear someone mention the Sega Saturn and the Dreamcast? Now we're talking! :awesome:

Oh! and one of my favourite games and series of all time...

Ebay Search

Panzer Dragoon Saga is an amazing game in terms of being a unique RPG experience and in many ways the definitive game in the series as well, not only that though but due to it's rarity it is still one of those games with fabled status as it were, there's only 10,000 European copies ever made after all - I believe - probably even less in existence now, especially in complete condition... plus Team Andromeda are no more and the source code being lost, it's truly something to be treasured indeed. :D

Regarding the current value of Panzer Dragoon Saga though, £200 is about its current value with some room for negotiation either side depending on condition, I did sell my original copy to which I bought everything including all four discs, manual and both boxes in worn but reasonable condition for £4 sometime in 2001 or so when I was in college and even then it was worth around a hundred or so, it would have seemed tempting to sell it then but I'm glad I kept it as I ended up buying the outer sleeve with a tear in it for under £20 which was a good price in itself.

I sold it last year for £185 along with Zelda's Adventure for the Phillip's CDi for £199... I'll only mourn the loss of one of those games. ;) As I said at the time in the N64 Appreciation thread though, the money was ploughed straight into my collection so it was worth it, plus I only did this because I managed to assemble a second Panzer Dragoon Saga for the equivelant of around less than £75 as I bought the discs only in fantastic condition as part of a Sega Saturn collection a couple of years ago which had a load of other games in it, a boxed Saturn... all for around £80 so I take it that PDS was £25 of that on average - plus I recently sold some of the double games from that lot - and I managed to get a complete set of both boxes, manual and sleeve in perfect conditon around a year or so ago for £50... I've been very lucky. : peace:

If you are looking for quality reproduction Saturn boxes check out Fitz Farseer on eBay as his products are second to none, high quality scans of the original boxes, text completely redone... it has to be seen to be believed. :)

It's shocking to think just how much these games have increased in value within a relatively short space of time, I can remember the days when I purchased NiGHTS into Dreams for £10, Burning Rangers for under £30, Deep Fear for £20 - I did have the chance to purchase it for £4 as well at the same time as PDS but I only had £5 on me at the time... I think I made the right choice all those years ago - and even Shining Force III for £20! :o

I'm playing the Dreamcast a lot this month (and loving it :love:) but one genre where it always lacked in quality was football games. Virtua Striker is fun for the odd game every now and then but I always wonder what Pro Evolution Soccer would have been like if it had came out on the system and how it would have played :grin:

I am planning on playing my Dreamcast more and my Saturn too as recently I've been perfecting my Sega collection, I'm in the process of re-housing a lot of my DC games in new cases, box protectors and I've even made some dedicated perspex shelving for them; bought some brand new VMU's as well, nice coloured ones in Charcoal, ;) Green and of course Blue.

Something needs to be done about my console setup though, I need to find a way of permenantly setting up my Dreamcast and Saturn if I'm ever to play them properly again, yet I have limited space for consoles now, I currently have ten playable home consoles right now, 11 if we are counting slim and non-slim PS2 being that one is multi-region, then there's the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360/One, Sega Multimega 32X - which is technically three consoles in one - N64, Gamecube, Wii U, Wii annnnnd a Retron 5... Yes, I have problems. :blush:

Orrr just a lot of consoles and probably not enough time to play them all. ::shrug:

Meh... anyway, it will all be worth it when I'm done, also just out of interest, do you all remember me posting my N64 and SNES collection last year? If I take pictures of my Sega Shelf with all my Sega Megadrive, 32X, MegaCD, Saturn and Dreamcast games plus some of my Sega collectables and post it in say... the Sega Appreciation thread would anyone be interested? I'm genuinely asking as it's something I'd like to do. :)

Perhaps we should have a new thread with it, then anyone else can share their collections as well, is this a better idea or just chuck it in the Sega thread?

I thought I'd ask anyway... :grin:

@Dcubed thought you'd like a mention seeing as there's talk of Sega and Panzer Dragoon Saga going on here. :cool:

The prices of anything retro have really skyrocketed in the last few years, not least of all Saturn! Even N64 and GCN stuff can go for silly money these days!

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more shots of your collection @S\.C\.G! I'm sure it'll make my rather pitiable Saturn collection look even more pitiable : peace:

I am planning on playing my Dreamcast more..

I didn't clear a single Dreamcast game last year but that was partly down to my previous setup. Things have been moved around and I now have much easier access to all of my systems meaning I'm having a lot more fun with everything :grin:

The Dreamcast is possibly my favourite ever non-Nintendo console so I'd be delighted to see your collection, wherever you post it :heh:

If you are looking for quality reproduction Saturn boxes check out Fitz Farseer on eBay as his products are second to none, high quality scans of the original boxes, text completely redone... it has to be seen to be believed. :)

Problem is that he's missing a lot of titles. I was also in the mindset that if I ever started a Saturn collection I would try and scan, clean up and resize the boxes to DVD case size. I would then buy a load of blue dvd cases and put the Saturn games in those. Granted the instructions wouldn't fit, but it just seemed right to have Sega games in a blue case. :D

The prices of anything retro have really skyrocketed in the last few years, not least of all Saturn! Even N64 and GCN stuff can go for silly money these days!

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more shots of your collection @S\.C\.G! I'm sure it'll make my rather pitiable Saturn collection look even more pitiable : peace:

The GameCube is still at a reasonable level at the moment but the N64 and Saturn have become a collectors nightmare.

I'm not far off from finishing my N64 stuff but trying to get a very good condition copy of Banjo Tooie, Smash Bros, Paper Mario and Pokemon Puzzle league has become a pain in the butt. Either they go for stupidly high prices or there simply aren't any copies for sale.

I wouldn't mind getting a nice Saturn collection together as I have very fond memories of that system. The price of getting all the games I love and remember would be a hefty fee though and given how rough that whole generation looks and plays now, i'm not sure if it's worth it.

Certain Dreamcast games have started to skyrocket in price as well. Stuff like Project Justice ( one went for close to £100 the other day ) and Cannon Spike can certainly cost and arm and a leg and its only going to get worse.

Typically, seeing this thread pop up again sent me straight to ebay last night to look for any deals. I think I'm going to take a page from @Goafer's book and start displaying my rarer games rather than them just sitting in a box somewhere. At the moment I'm thinking Chrono Trigger, Mega Man X, Shenmue 1 & 2, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes and then maybe Phantasy Star II and III.

Typically, seeing this thread pop up again sent me straight to ebay last night to look for any deals. I think I'm going to take a page from @Goafer's book and start displaying my rarer games rather than them just sitting in a box somewhere. At the moment I'm thinking Chrono Trigger, Mega Man X, Shenmue 1 & 2, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes and then maybe Phantasy Star II and III.

That's exactly what I do. :D