NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Decided to rearrange my retro collection a bit, moved my Mega Drive and it looks like some bit of plastic on the bottom has melted and left some nice plastic mess everywhere.

Speaking of the Mega Drive and SNES collections, I think I might whittle them down a bit. Nothing major, just get rid of the few games that I never really wanted but came in ebay bundles so I've got space for the more important stuff.

• Thanks 1

....I love my retro collection but god does it take up so much room! It's so tempting to just throw away all the Mega Drive game boxes and keep the carts in one big box like the SNES ones are now.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

....I love my retro collection but god does it take up so much room! It's so tempting to just throw away all the Mega Drive game boxes and keep the carts in one big box like the SNES ones are now.

If you decide to do this, please let me know, I'd pay you for the game boxes, postage or however much you want for each, genuine Mega Drive boxes are getting trickier to come by. :peace:

Also, I do get it... I've often thought to myself about how much space certain boxes for games take up, but there is something nice about picking a box up off the shelf to play a game. :)

I bet all your Mega Drive collection looks amazing on a shelf though with all the different logos on the spines of the boxes and all that. :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

If you decide to do this, please let me know, I'd pay you for the game boxes, postage or however much you want for each, genuine Mega Drive boxes are getting trickier to come by. :peace:

Also, I do get it... I've often thought to myself about how much space certain boxes for games take up, but there is something nice about picking a box up off the shelf to play a game. :)

I bet all your Mega Drive collection looks amazing on a shelf though with all the different logos on the spines of the boxes and all that. :D

Yeah they aren't going anywhere yet but if I did decide to then I'll let you know.

I've just ordered some shelf lights for their new location so I'll post a photo when its all set up tomorrow. Shame the SNES carts can't get the same kind of display but I literally only own one SNES game box.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Happenstance said:

Yeah they aren't going anywhere yet but if I did decide to then I'll let you know.

I've just ordered some shelf lights for their new location so I'll post a photo when its all set up tomorrow. Shame the SNES carts can't get the same kind of display but I literally only own one SNES game box.

I'd definitely be interested to see what your new retro collection setup looks like. :)

I'll take a picture of the Sega Shelf when I get around to tidying it up a bit. :D

All my SNES game boxes and carts are put away at the moment, no real room for them and I don't even have that many.

I still need to downsize some of my games a bit though... it's an ongoing process.

61E8vP3.jpg

Ok then that’s the new lights fitted for the Mega Drive games. SNES carts are in the remaining boxes bottom right. I’m pretty happy how it all looks, lights aren’t too overpowering but just give a nice highlight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nice setup @Happenstance I like that there's a theme around it as well, it looks really clean and it's probably really easy to just grab one of those consoles, a few games off the shelf, then play within a few moments; so it's really functional as well. :)

If it was me, I'd be tempted to stick two more units on top of those units so that you have more room for more games and stuff, but that would defeat the purpose of the setup. :D

Relly cool to see, thanks for sharing it. :peace:

3 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Nice setup @Happenstance I like that there's a theme around it as well, it looks really clean and it's probably really easy to just grab one of those consoles, a few games off the shelf, then play within a few moments; so it's really functional as well. :)

If it was me, I'd be tempted to stick two more units on top of those units so that you have more room for more games and stuff, but that would defeat the purpose of the setup. :D

Relly cool to see, thanks for sharing it. :peace:

The projector screen is right above the unit (you can just see the black bar and start of the white screen in the photo) so nothing can go above it unfortunately. 

28 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

The projector screen is right above the unit (you can just see the black bar and start of the white screen in the photo) so nothing can go above it unfortunately. 

Ah, that's what that is, in that case, it's pefect, as it's a setup which fulfils its purpose of being able to just play games easily, while looking pretty nice at the same time. :)

Are you going to be playing any classic games on it later?

8 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Ah, that's what that is, in that case, it's pefect, as it's a setup which fulfils its purpose of being able to just play games easily, while looking pretty nice at the same time. :)

Are you going to be playing any classic games on it later?

Probably yeah. I've now got the cables for the MegaSG/SuperNT permanently plugged into a screen so they can be displayed but easily plugged straight back in for gaming.

On 05/07/2020 at 1:03 PM, S.C.G said:

That's great news about the Analogue NT Mini  Noir as those are some really nice features.

I'm a bit conflicted because, don't ask me why but I put down a pre-order for one back in February as I managed to get enough money together for it after selling some games.

But the other day, after learning about the further delay, I actually put in an e-mail to cancel the pre-order.

Update on this, the cancellation has gone through and I'm relieved as although it is an amazing console for what it is, it is a lot of money for something which I probably wouldn't use that much, I already have a Mega SG and a Super NT, both amazing machines which I will use more when I've had a proper chance to reorganise things.

On 05/07/2020 at 9:05 PM, Happenstance said:

It's so tempting to just throw away all the Mega Drive game boxes and keep the carts in one big box.

That sentence hurts my soul.

5 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Update on this, the cancellation has gone through and I'm relieved as although it is an amazing console for what it is, it is a lot of money for something which I probably wouldn't use that much, I already have a Mega SG and a Super NT, both amazing machines which I will use more when I've had a proper chance to reorganise things.

There's so many other ways to play NES games, it's not really work £500+. Just mod a NES Classic or something. You'd be better off waiting for the cheaper model.

As an aside, Retro Gaming Cables are taking pre-orders for Nintendo RAD2x cables, might be worth getting one of those if you have a NES already.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ike said:

That sentence hurts my soul.

I know, I know. It's absolutely something I wouldn't want to do but there's just so little space to keep all this stuff. I hate the fact that I have a wardrobe full of retro consoles that never come out. I'm

A guy at work was telling me how he had been helping his parents clear out their loft and had come across some games and a gameboy.

I asked what he did with them as I collect old games and consoles. His response, put them all in the skip....

Luckily he got them out of the skip for me and said if he comes across anything else, I can have them too.

EcuqotzXYAAHO2n?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EcuqouRXgAAAn5m?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Not the best of games but there are a few gems in there.

The gameboy advance was in a right state. I took it apart, cleaned everything and ordered a new lens as the original was scratched to death

Quite happy with it now

EcuqoucWoAALpLn?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just found out about this recently, pretty cool. It replaces the optical drive but you can run games from an SD card/SSD. And it works on the Saturn and Dreamcast, so you can swap around if you wished (or buy 2). Sounds like a pain if you need to update it or whatever.

My 8Bitdo CoreFX Wireless controller also arrived on Saturday, only tried it for a little while but so far so good. No disconnects, no lag that I could notice, was comfy for the period I used it for. Also dedicated button to open the menu is nice instead of having to press the button combo.

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2020 at 8:08 PM, Ike said:

@Dcubed (ore anyone) have you bought from that retrosix store before? I might grab a new speaker for my GBC from them. if they are trust worthy.

Colin on the This Does Not Compute youtube channel just did an ultimate GBA mod video that used a few of their parts and was raving about them. He doesn’t tend to do any sponsored stuff unless he really thinks they’re a good company so for me it’s enough to give them a try.

• Thanks 2

On 7/6/2020 at 11:56 AM, Happenstance said:

61E8vP3.jpg

Ok then that’s the new lights fitted for the Mega Drive games. SNES carts are in the remaining boxes bottom right. I’m pretty happy how it all looks, lights aren’t too overpowering but just give a nice highlight.

Typical, just as I'm happy with my retro collection display my projector screen falls down for the 3rd time this summer. The wall isn't strong enough for proper hooks so I have to use adhesive ones and they just aren't staying up so I'm gonna have to rearrange everything and now use this as a spot for a new TV to go with my current consoles. Poor Mega Drive and SNES, you can never catch a break.

• Haha 1

The long lost, unreleased Panel de Pon 64 has been found!

And as I have been suspecting for almost two decades? It was indeed eventually released as part of Nintendo Puzzle Collection on GameCube! :D 

There are some notable differences between this prototype in the video and the final GCN version, namely the Nintendo splash screen that is reminiscent of the original SNES game (which was removed in the final GCN release), the logo and the musical arrangements (while it’s hard to tell in this crappy video, the music does seem to have been arranged differently in this beta build).

No doubt the ROM will be dumped shortly, so it’ll be really interesting to see all the differences between this N64 prototype and the final GCN release!

The last few months have been REALLY good for Puzzle League fans! :D 

On 17/07/2020 at 11:16 PM, Gadwin said:

A video of how the Special Stage was made in Sonic 2.

Really glad to see Jon Burton return to doing these Coding Secrets videos! They’re always super interesting!

It might be happening.questionmark

It's 3PM UK time if my calculations are correct.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2020 at 11:16 PM, Gadwin said:

A video of how the Special Stage was made in Sonic 2.

Ring-checkpoints are the new cloud-bush. Interesting to see how developers get around hardware limitations.

Was looking at my Yakuza collection earlier and how much it’s worth these days. Yakuza 2 on PS2 used to sell for around £70 but these days people don’t seem to be biting at £35. The remakes and remasters really dented the values. Thankfully I wasn’t planning on selling them so there isn’t an issue but still....poor Yakuza 2.

• Thanks 1

So, err... that Gigaleak of Nintendo prototypes sure is something!

I don’t even know where to begin! So much history just... laid bare!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1