NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Picked up a screen for my Raspberry Pi with Retropie installed. Games look great on it.

IMG_20150927_134822.jpg

IMG_20150927_134931.jpg

Got my 8bitdo SNES30 controller connected via bluetooth as well.

Picked up a screen for my Raspberry Pi with Retropie installed.

What is this Raspberry Pi thingy?

I'm currently on its webpage but I find it really unstructured and cluttered with information. Am I right in assuming it's a little computer which is used to learn how to program?

What is this Raspberry Pi thingy?

I'm currently on its webpage but I find it really unstructured and cluttered with information. Am I right in assuming it's a little computer which is used to learn how to program?

The original idea is that they are a cheap computer (they cost £30 for the board itself, it starts adding up when you start adding various extras), about the size of a credit card, to be used as an entry point to start learning programming (so it's good for kids/schools). You put the OS on an SD/Micro SD card which you can easily swap out or reinstall if you mess up.

They mostly run a version of Linux but they are supposedly suppose to be able to run Windows 10. Retropie is just a Linux distro (forget which one it's based off) with Emulationstation installed really.

You can do some pretty cool stuff with them though. I have another Pi running Homepass so it acts like a Relay for getting Stretpasses on my 3DS. Pretty sure you could set one up to stream Steam games if you wanted.

The original idea is that they are a cheap computer (they cost £30 for the board itself, it starts adding up when you start adding various extras), about the size of a credit card, to be used as an entry point to start learning programming (so it's good for kids/schools). You put the OS on an SD/Micro SD card which you can easily swap out or reinstall if you mess up.

That sounds really cool.

They mostly run a version of Linux but they are supposedly suppose to be able to run Windows 10. Retropie is just a Linux distro (forget which one it's based off) with Emulationstation installed really.

You can do some pretty cool stuff with them though. I have another Pi running Homepass so it acts like a Relay for getting Stretpasses on my 3DS. Pretty sure you could set one up to stream Steam games if you wanted.

Sounds even better.

May be a nice Christmas present for me :D

Went digging around in my attic earlier, ended up pulling out the old NES and about 40 carts. Getting the flashing white screen at the moment with most games, probably needs a good clean. Wish me luck!

Went digging around in my attic earlier, ended up pulling out the old NES and about 40 carts. Getting the flashing white screen at the moment with most games, probably needs a good clean. Wish me luck!

kdsKS5w.jpg

:D

kdsKS5w.jpg

:D

Lmao, dude, you are spot on. Even down to the bikini detail. Spent a good hour jiggling (the carts) and blowing (also the carts) my way through yesterday evening.

The only cart I could get the system to read was Super Mario Bros and Turtles. Guessing the connector is totally shot, or the carts themselves are dirty. They've just been stored loose in a box for the last 10 or so years, so not surprised.

Will probably try and get the necessary bits to restore it to workability, hadn't realised quite how much of the PAL NES library we actually owned.

On the plus side, I also dug out the SNES and that bad boy is still running perfectly. Actually played some Starwing, which is another strange accuracy in your post.

ARE YOU STARING INTO MY WINDOW?

Edited by Guy
Edits are radical to the max.

Feeling that itch for arcade gaming again and Mushihimesama isn't out on Steam yet, so...

I splurged on another set of weird obscure Japanese arcade gems from the JPN Wii VC! :D

My haul includes...

Splatterhouse Arcade

Rompers

Marvel Land

Cyber Sled

Tank Force

Libble Rabble

Ordyne

Magical Drop 3 (I already have the English version, but the Japanese version has some substantial differences and since I'm nuts for anything Magical Drop, I had to have it!)

And while not actually arcade games, just cause I could (plus I'm fed up of waiting for them to never come out over here on Wii U)

Kirby's Super Star Stacker (The SNES version of Kirby's Star Stacker - the one and only Kirby related game to never come out outside Japan)

Famicom Wars

Super Famicom Wars

The latter two are gonna be tough to get through, knowing zero Japanese myself, but I know enough about the Wars games that I think I can blag my way through with a basic menu guide! :laughing:

And with that, I think that's the Japanese Wii Shop cleaned out of everything I want from it now. Everything else is either locked behind too large a language barrier or will probably come out in the west on Wii U before long :)

I'm looking for some storage boxes to store my GameCube/Wii collection but also my GBA and DS collection since I want to free some shelf space. Anyone got some recommendations?

I'm looking for some storage boxes to store my GameCube/Wii collection but also my GBA and DS collection since I want to free some shelf space. Anyone got some recommendations?

Can't say that I can think of any specific ones, but I have a set of el-cheapo clear plastic ones that I got from Argos for about a tenner many years ago that I use for my various gaming accessories (old controllers, cables, adapters etc) and it does the job just fine.

I don't use them for games, but I'm sure that they'd do the job for you if they still do them...

More on topic though, in preparation for the upcoming release of Mushihimesama and the onslaught of Cave shooters on Steam (as well as my recent arcadey game binge), I finally got round to upgrading my Wii Tatsucap arcade stick with proper Sanwa parts!

122EC5A9-072F-4944-BF74-AA40B376FEC7_zps9xabay6h.jpg

Also got a Mayflash Classic Controller adapter that lets me use classic controllers/the Tatsucap stick on my PC (and bizzarly enough, it works on PS3 too ;) )

My fingers are ready for bullet hell! :D

Thinking about carrying on with my SNES and Mega Drive collections soon. Almost bought a copy of Final Fantasy III (6) on the SNES from ebay the other day but couldnt bring myself to spend the money.

Thinking about carrying on with my SNES and Mega Drive collections soon. Almost bought a copy of Final Fantasy III (6) on the SNES from ebay the other day but couldnt bring myself to spend the money.

It's an amazing game that is well worth the money it goes for on eBay, but if you want the SNES version for cheaper (and it is the best version of them all still), you can get it on the Wii Virtual Console for about £7.

Yeah I don't tend to get Virtual Console games, I'm more interested in buying the actual carts. I already have the game anyway on my Vita, it's just a shame that one has the crappy load times from the PS1.

What games are you after?

I picked up a Mega Drive at the end of July.

image_zpsxxprng4c.jpg

Got Quackshot, Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion, as well.

I played a bit of Quackshot the other month and forgot what a bit of a Metroid like game that it was. Travelling back and forth between worlds after getting new items was something I didn't remember. Loved the soundtrack, though. Brought back so many memories. :D

I need to pick up Aladdin and The Lion King. Been years since I played through them.

Im just trying to rebuild my collection from when I was a kid, plus adding interesting games I may have missed.

That's what im gonna be doing. Things like the X-Men games, Rocket Knight Adventures, Power Rangers ( both series and movie ), Rambo III and so on. Luckily the MD market seems to pretty cheap at the moment, unlike the N64 one.

That's what im gonna be doing. Things like the X-Men games, Rocket Knight Adventures, Power Rangers ( both series and movie ), Rambo III and so on. Luckily the MD market seems to pretty cheap at the moment, unlike the N64 one.

Its driving me crazy at the moment realising that games I loved growing up like the Spider-Man Animated Series game or Batman and Robin now sell for around £50-60 and I stupidly probably sold them for a couple of quid :weep:

I have Power Rangers on the Mega Drive if you want it :heh:

Now the question is which Power Rangers game, the beat em up or the movie game?

Which did you prefer? By the way, there is only one correct answer. :D

Which did you prefer? By the way, there is only one correct answer. :D

I loved the movie one, despite it being poorly thought of overall.

For those interested in picking up a few Mega Drive games, I have Power Rangers, Comix Zone, Strider and Mega Games I available if anybody wants them :smile: I also have Mortal Kombat, but it's cartridge only!