NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

I got Cubivore back in the day from Videogamesplus. Think I paid £40 for it. Bonkers what it goes for now. Even crazier is that to this day I still haven't played it. :D 

Yeah, GameCube isn't that bad. To be fair, a lot of the consoles are like this. There are a few titles that command a high price but the rest of the games are quite reasonable.  It's just that the games that do go for a lot of money are going for stupid amounts now. The likes of Deep Fear and PDS on the Saturn are ludicrous now. Glad I snapped those up a few years back when I did.

• Thanks 1

This arrived yesterday evening.

Feda6JcXkAIdyYW?format=jpg&name=small

Chris Scullion is at it again with another fantastic book. Just like his Mega Drive, NES and SNES books, this also shows you every game that was released on the console. It also has a look at the history of the N64, as well as a section that covers all the Japanese exclusive games which includes the 64DD and its software. Well worth picking up.

Spoiler

FedazlpXoAULnBa?format=jpg&name=small

FedazlrWAAEjQP-?format=jpg&name=small

FedazlsWYAEQ7x7?format=jpg&name=small

FedazlmWQAMhplK?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Looks awesome.

Added all the books to my Amazon wishlist...maybe one of these could be a Christmas present :D 

This is pretty cool

Obviously the one we ended up with is a classic, but interesting to see what could have been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Gamecube collection so far. Might just try buying exclusives from now on like Warioware and the Starfox games.

I didn't buy Twin Snakes, Harvest Moon, Symphonia or Smash Bros. Thankfully I kept those four when I sold my old Gamecube. Glad I did too, the prices on Symphonia and Twin Snakes are stupid.

The blue case is just an action replay disk

DSC_0188.JPG

Edited by martinist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, martinist said:

Gamecube collection so far. Might just try buying exclusives from now on like Warioware and the Starfox games.

I didn't buy Twin Snakes, Harvest Moon, Symphonia or Smash Bros. Thankfully I kept those four when I sold my old Gamecube. Glad I did too, the prices on Symphonia and Twin Snakes are stupid.

The blue case is just an action replay disk

DSC_0188.JPG

Symphonia isn't that bad at all. It usually goes for under £40.

Seeing Hit and Run there reminds me how much I loved Simpsons Road Rage. I played the hell out of that game but had it on my PS2, not my GameCube. I think I had Hit and Run on the original Xbox.

I always was annoyed when games came with a different coloured triangle in the bottom corner. I usually had them separated from the traditional green triangle games. Also, those platinum/silver boxes...:shakehead

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I always was annoyed when games came with a different coloured triangle in the bottom corner. I usually had them separated from the traditional green triangle games. Also, those platinum/silver boxes...:shakehead

Did you see the Good Vibes Gaming video Jon did on this?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ealdst said:

Did you see the Good Vibes Gaming video Jon did on this?

Nah. I have issues with Jon and as such don't watch any of his content.

On 07/10/2022 at 11:27 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

This arrived yesterday evening.

Feda6JcXkAIdyYW?format=jpg&name=small

Chris Scullion is at it again with another fantastic book. Just like his Mega Drive, NES and SNES books, this also shows you every game that was released on the console. It also has a look at the history of the N64, as well as a section that covers all the Japanese exclusive games which includes the 64DD and its software. Well worth picking up.

A few quick pics (Reveal hidden contents)

FedazlpXoAULnBa?format=jpg&name=small

FedazlrWAAEjQP-?format=jpg&name=small

FedazlsWYAEQ7x7?format=jpg&name=small

FedazlmWQAMhplK?format=jpg&name=small

If only so I can show off my copy too 😃, but I agree this is an outstanding and comprehensive summary of the N64 library. His writing and summaries are excellent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WackerJr said:

If only so I can show off my copy too 😃, but I agree this is an outstanding and comprehensive summary of the N64 library. His writing and summaries are excellent.

That's awesome. :D 

I knew you had also picked up the book when I seen your comment in the comments section over on NintendoLife.

• Thanks 1

On 13/10/2022 at 7:08 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

That's awesome. :D 

I knew you had also picked up the book when I seen your comment in the comments section over on NintendoLife.

Haha! I forgot I posted on that, nice spot!  Anything to help promote it as I have a real soft spot for the N64 (& I really enjoyed the book).

On 01/10/2022 at 3:17 PM, Dcubed said:

@Ike Have you tried out any of the new Open FPGA cores for the Analogue Pocket? Any impressions you can give so far? Really wishing that I bought one earlier on now… (Decided to nab one and a Dock when the Open FPGA update came out… Being part of Group C really sucks :().

I tried the SNES core and it works well if you can get a working file, it seems to be a bit picky. I think it has an issue with PAL versions because you get a flashing red line at the bottom of the picture. The games look great on the screen. Installation was super easy as well.

I see Analogue put out an update that group B & C are shipping before the end of the year so you probably don't have much longer to wait.

They are also doing a final run of the Super Nt and Mega Sg, so looks like it's my final chance to get a Super Nt.

• Thanks 1

Got a HDMI addapter for a PS2 so i dragged it out of storage. Think I just sat there and played PGA Tour 2005 and Burnout 3 for about 4 hours. Looks really good, might pick up some old PS2 games later.

• Haha 1

Just now, martinist said:

Got a HDMI addapter for a PS2 so i dragged it out of storage. Think I just sat there and played PGA Tour 2005 and Burnout 3 for about 4 hours. Looks really good, might pick up some old PS2 games later.

Most PS2 games are still dirt cheap. It's a good time to snap them up.

• Thanks 1

Sakurai just uploaded his latest video... a behind-the-scenes look at the development of the original Super Smash Bros.  So far so ordinary right? Well...

... this one in particular is special because he not only shows design documents from the original SSB, but also another game that was originally pitched to Nintendo for the N64 and never released!

And? If that's not enough? HE SHOWS OFF VIDEO FOOTAGE OF THE ORIGINAL DRAGON KING PROTOTYPE!!

ssb_uk_slide201.jpg

Yes, this one.  Now in video form for the first time!

While all of Sakurai's Youtube videos have been great so far? This one really is a must-watch :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I loved his comments on the nature of fighting games in particular. That line about how the player on the losing side of combos is unengaged... I felt that. No wonder my favourite fighting games are the ones where you can still attempt to do something while getting bodied.

"Smash Bros. is an antithesis to fighting games, but it's not a rejection". I love that line, too. Sakurai's past comments on what Smash is "supposed" to be have always been misinterpreted, often being brought up as proof that he hates fighting games or whatever (when he clearly respects the genre quite a bit), but he clarifies that quite nicely here.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jonnas said:

I loved his comments on the nature of fighting games in particular. That line about how the player on the losing side of combos is unengaged... I felt that. No wonder my favourite fighting games are the ones where you can still attempt to do something while getting bodied.

Dragon Ball Fighterz is pretty bad for this. I've seen videos of 100hit combos you can't escape and have to hope your opponent messes up.

• Thanks 1

On 20/10/2022 at 11:23 PM, Jonnas said:

"Smash Bros. is an antithesis to fighting games, but it's not a rejection". I love that line, too. Sakurai's past comments on what Smash is "supposed" to be have always been misinterpreted, often being brought up as proof that he hates fighting games or whatever (when he clearly respects the genre quite a bit), but he clarifies that quite nicely here.

Yeah, it’s really interesting that he points this out as a key inspiration for Smash Bros’ gameplay concept… I wonder if Killer Instinct might’ve been an inspiration as well, considering that the Combo Breaker was a key gameplay mechanic that was designed to counter this very problem… It was also released the year prior to Sakurai’s original Smash Bros proposal!

Edited by Dcubed

On 22/10/2022 at 7:04 AM, Dcubed said:

Yeah, it’s really interesting that he points this out as a key inspiration for Smash Bros’ gameplay concept… I wonder if Killer Instinct might’ve been an inspiration as well, considering that the Combo Breaker was a key gameplay mechanic that was designed to counter this very problem… It was also released the year prior to Sakurai’s original Smash Bros proposal!

I doubt Killer Instinct was ever in Sakurai's radar. First, because he implemented no mechanic in Smash Bros. that's similar to Combo Breaker (while he definitely used mechanics from KOF, a series guilty of the things he criticised). Second, because there's zero KI representation in Ultimate, not even a spirit or music track. Third, he used no footage of it in this video.

This suggests he has zero nostalgia for Killer Instinct. He likely spent very little time with the game, if any.

Analogue have the Super Nt and Mega Sg available to preorder. £250-ish quid before the inevitable customs charge is putting me off a bit.

On 10/17/2022 at 7:28 PM, Ike said:

I see Analogue put out an update that group B & C are shipping before the end of the year so you probably don't have much longer to wait.

I just got my order processing notification! With a bit of luck it will have been delivered by the time I get back from my next trip.

• Like 1