NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

i'd probably only get about £30 for an out of box gamecube anyway.

I'll get my hands on one of those things eventually.

9 minutes ago, martinist said:

image.png.08b07f723ae5cebab92753ddb694b539.png

Not worth it at that price. Atleast not for me.

Agreed. I've seen mint condition, fully boxed ones go for less than that.

• Like 1

I legit want this, but not the 4 game one, I want the 6 game, multiple versions one. With that one, you could have every Wonder Boy game on one console.

The article hints that version will be released as a digital copy, so I might wait for that one, because I don't want to pay 100 Euros for a bunch of extra tat I don't want.

Sad to say but I might start selling off my SNES and Mega Drive collections. They just never get touched anymore.

• Sad 2

Not strictly retro, but a fake retro made real, I guess? 

The ingenuity of some people never seizes to amaze.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The saga of the Nintendo Iris (the lost "GBA-2") continues!

Now, in case you're not aware, a few weeks ago a new ROM leaked for a previously known pitch from Climax Studios to Nintendo for a Diddy Kong Racing port for the DS (Note, this has no relation to Rare's actually released DKR DS port).  Now, we have seen this tech demo before, but this newly released ROM was an earlier build; dating around 5-6 months prior to the DS' launch, and interestingly, it didn't seem to work on retail DS flashcarts for whatever reason...

... so somebody had the bright idea to try it out on the Nintendo Iris board, and...

its-alive-gene-wilder.gif

Well, well well.  It turns out that this new tech demo ROM is actually not a DS ROM, but rather it's an Iris ROM!! We officially have our first real Nintendo Iris software! :D

It also proves that the Iris really did have the same hardware specs as the DS (minus the second screen and second "2D Engine").  Still don't know if it has a touch screen or WiFi mind you (though I would assume that the latter would at least have been there).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Oh wow! Speaking of lost Nintendo consoles... I've just found this little gem of a video...

So this video goes over a bunch of information that was found in the 2020 Nintendo Gigaleak, regarding the development of a would-be successor to the 3DS; before it eventually morphed into the Switch (it's not the same hardware at all, it didn't even have N-Vidia's involvement, but rather a French-Italian company called ST Microelectronics!  Really really fascinating stuff! It was originally going to be a very different machine than what the Switch turned out to be! :D

In short, this was more of a true dedicated handheld; with CPU/GPU specs that sit somewhere inbetween the 3DS and Wii U, GPS capablities, dual stereoscopic screens and more! Well, well worth a watch! :D

Edit:  A list of known specs for the last version of the Indy can be found here.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Been a while since I've posted any pick-ups in here, but got my bonus last week, so here are the latest additions to my collection: 

FO8M_OJXwAA4kBK?format=jpg&name=large

Okay, in fairness, only Twilight Princess HD, Dragon Quest VI and Dragon Quest IX are new here, as I picked the rest up when I got my Wii U, but I forgot to post them at the time :p the former I got as one of my gaming aims for the year is to play all of the 3D main console Zelda games released before Breath of the Wild (currently one down, four to go), and the latter two I got as I have the others and figured I might as well pick them up before their price continues to sky rocket. 

And yeah, before anyone says it, that Splatoon case is annoying me too, forgot to check it when I received it so I'll probably pick up a new case for it at some point :laughing:

Also picked up a few PS3 games:

FO8M_3RXEAEIq5G?format=jpg&name=large

One of my other aims for the year is to finish playing through the Metal Gear Solid games, and as I've only got Peace Walker and V: The Phantom Pain left, figured Metal Gear Rising Revengeance looked like good and silly fun that I'd want to add it to the list of Metal Gear games I want to check out. I also picked up Puppeteer because I've heard good things and ever since Astro's Playroom have kind of been missing the sillier, Japanese side of SIE, so I'm looking forward to checking that out too. While I don't always aim to get games sealed in packaging, I figured that I haven't had a pristine PS3 game before, so now was a good chance to treat myself, so I got both of these sealed. 

Finally, I picked up Spec Ops: The Line. I love narratives in video games, but on the whole I think there are few games that with their narrative justify gaming as the medium to tell their story. I've heard Spec Ops is an exception in that regard, and that I pretty much have to check it out, so I'm excited to get around to it :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Julius said:

Finally, I picked up Spec Ops: The Line. I love narratives in video games, but on the whole I think there are few games that with their narrative justify gaming as the medium to tell their story. I've heard Spec Ops is an exception in that regard, and that I pretty much have to check it out, so I'm excited to get around to it :D

I recently looked up what the deal with this game is, and yeah, it's certainly an interesting game, I'll give it that.

I'd never want to play it though, third person cover based shooter? Bleh. I watched all the cutscenes though, worth it.

Quality pickups there @Julius! Puppeteer is perhaps the single most underrated PS3 game, very good game that's pretty reminiscient of Dynamite Headdy; that was sadly overshadowed by the release of the PS4.

But yeah, every single game pictured is a winner! You'll have a great time with all of them :peace:

2 hours ago, Julius said:

Oh boy, Spec Ops: The Line
I've tried playing this game so many times because the narrative is supposed to be great. But I've dropped off it so quickly, because it plays like ass :p  Maybe I'll get back to it someday and actually finish it...

38 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Oh boy, Spec Ops: The Line
I've tried playing this game so many times because the narrative is supposed to be great. But I've dropped off it so quickly, because it plays like ass :p  Maybe I'll get back to it someday and actually finish it...

That's kind of the whole point of the game though... it's not suppposed to feel good and you're not supposed to feel like a hero playing it...

I never really had an issue with the gameplay. It was a bit simplistic but with the narrative being the big hook I didn’t mind.

There's an obvious trio of your purchases there I'll give my stamp of approval to, @Julius. The rest, well, hope you enjoy having 'em.
:peace:

20 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I never really had an issue with the gameplay. It was a bit simplistic but with the narrative being the big hook I didn’t mind.

Ok, I'll give it another try :p 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Ok, I'll give it another try :p 

You can always whack the difficulty down just so you can get through it quicker.

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You can always whack the difficulty down just so you can get through it quicker.

I might. I really dislike the game's clunkyness (is that a word?) so turning down the difficulty seems like a good idea. I just wanna play the game for the narrative anyways ::shrug: 

Well, reached Chapter 6 of Specs Ops: The Line and so far...nothing special :p 
Just your usual "team's gone rogue", "shit's going down in a city", "kill your old mates" stuff.

Apparently it's quite a short game so I might actually push through tonight and see what all the fuss is about.

It's been so many years since I played it but there definitely is a turning point. I just can't remember when.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

It's been so many years since I played it but there definitely is a turning point. I just can't remember when.

Gonna be interesting to see what it'll be like.

I have two theories:

Spoiler
  1. Lugo and Adams (your two squad mates) are a figment of your Imagination - basically acting as your/Walker's conscience while you/Walker descend into madness
  2. there's a 4th person always around - there are some weird camera angles/movements in cutscenes; just now the camera focused on a dead body - it was like a first person view of someone looking at him; now who that person is or what he does? no idea :D then again...you never see another guy during gameplay ::shrug: 

It's weird. The game isn't good, the narrative isn't anything to write home about, yet, but the prospect of something big happening keeps me going. You better not be lying to me. :p 

Edit: Well, I just played one of the most harrowing missions ever...

Spoiler

Using white phosphorous on those soldiers and then walking through the bodies of dead civilians...

Lugo: "There is always a choice"
Walker: "No. There really isn't".

Maybe Spec Ops: The Line is about war being depicted in games in general. About video games wanting to make war fun without consequences. Making choices that don't matter.
Now I know I'm playing a video game, and I know that I didn't just kill real people during that mission but still...that scene with the dead civilians and Lugo losing his mind/getting furious really left a mark.

Edited by drahkon