NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

52 minutes ago, Julius said:

It's got me curious - are there any games that anyone here has come across where they played it through only to be surprised by the developers or people involved? 

115070_front.jpg

250px-Pok%C3%A9mon_Mystery_Dungeon_boxar

Same developer company

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

115070_front.jpg

250px-Pok%C3%A9mon_Mystery_Dungeon_boxar

Same developer company

He asked for surprising revelations.

But seriously, this is a good one. And it always amuses me how close in tone the two series get at times.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Famicom Detective Club is pretty graphic for a Nintendo game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it hard to justify supporting LRG, but they do release some good stuff.

1 minute ago, Ike said:

I find it hard to justify supporting LRG, but they do release some good stuff.

Indeed. The Shantae games on PS5 and Castlevania Requiem are very tempting even though I’d rather not do business with them. :( 

Oh wow!

Someone found a hidden menu in the PS2 Classics PSN re-releases on PS3! Apparently it can fix a lot of the lag/slowdown issues that plague some of these releases!  And it doesn’t require a modded PS3 either! You can enable it on any stock PS3 within the PS Button menu!

Just press left dpad + square + L1 + R1 for ten seconds, release then press start at the settings menu (PS Button)

How it remained hidden for so long? I have no idea!

Now.  If someone could somehow find a similar hidden menu for the PS1 PS3 releases that removes the crappy bilinear filter; I’d be a very happy man! :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This popped up in a thread on Era. Happy days….sigh :( 

I used to save up and buy some Gameboy and SNES games like Yoshi's Island from an old chain called Woolworths before Game opened in town. :hug:

Oh wow!

There was a cancelled remake of Secret of Mana for the GBA!?!? Why couldn't we have gotten this?! It looks amazing!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Decided to order a new case for my Game Boy Advance that a guy at work gave me last year as the plastic around the speaker and L&R triggers had yellowed as well as the case colour fading.

1RRiNFZ.jpg

Only cost £8 and it looks so much better with it mainly for display purposes in the games room.

XQ5CNzC.jpg

I also recently bought a Game Boy Pocket that a mates sister was selling that is in really good condition.

IQ7a0OZ.jpg

I have no real intention of collecting handhelds but I remember getting this for Christmas in 1996 as a surprise present off my parents. My mum would usually check with my brother before buying anything gaming related that I hadn't asked for but got this without asking my brother and with everything that's happened with my mum over the last 10 months (diagnosed with dementia and moved into a care home), it means so much to have this in my possession.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 06/06/2021 at 1:54 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Hellnight.jpg

I bought this (as well as Mega Man X 4) back in the day while on holiday at Morcambe with my parents. It’s a first person, survival horror game that was made by Atlus. I didn’t even acknowledge the Atlus logo and instead focused on the Konami stamp. It wasn’t until years later that I realised that was an Atlus developed game. It’s is one of the rarer PSOne games to find these days but the game itself is awful though. Pretty sure it never made it back home with me as I think I traded it back in while still at Morcambe. :D 

I have that game! ;) 

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Recommend me your favourite hidden gems for Game Cube.

Going outside the obvious well known ones?

Beach Spikers is an excellent Arcade volleyball game that’s great fun, especially in multiplayer.  It’s cheap too!

Crazy Taxi is a well known game of course, but what is not well known is that the GCN version is the only post DC version of the game that is every bit as good as the DC original (every other version has something significant wrong with it).  THIS is the version to get.

Odama is an absolutely insane mashup of Japanese military strategy and pinball that defies description, but is great fun to play!

Kururin Squash (JPN only) is the 3rd game in the Kururin series of puzzle squeeze-em-in action games and it’s the best in the series for sure.  Damn shame it never came out outside of Japan, but it’s perfectly playable without any Japanese knowledge.  If you like Super Monkey Ball, you’ll almost certainly like this too!

Four Swords Adventures Japanese Version.  Why the Japanese version specifically you ask? Because it exclusively includes a 3rd game called Tetra’s Trackers that was cut out of the western release! It’s primarily a multiplayer game, but it’s one of the very best multiplayer games on the system! An absolutely manic stamp rally game with untold amounts of crazy stuff happening and it’s perfectly playable without Japanese knowledge.  If you’re looking for a new fantastic party game you’ve never played before? Look no further! @Glen-i can vouch for how amazingly fun it is!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Bloody hell! So much for that Zelda record!

12 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Four Swords Adventures Japanese Version.  Why the Japanese version specifically you ask? Because it exclusively includes a 3rd game called Tetra’s Trackers that was cut out of the western release! It’s primarily a multiplayer game, but it’s one of the very best multiplayer games on the system! An absolutely manic stamp rally game with untold amounts of crazy stuff happening and it’s perfectly playable without Japanese knowledge.  If you’re looking for a new fantastic party game you’ve never played before? Look no further! @Glen-i can vouch for how amazingly fun it is!

Yep, easily a top 3 Gamecube multiplayer game! You haven't lived until you had the King of Red Lions shout excitable Japanese at you!

The big problem is that, even ignoring the hassle of importing a Gamecube game, the setup for this requires a lot of stuff (GBA and the appropriate link cable for each player).

(I can't find that comic about the setup faff... I tried googling it... You know, the one with that guy who moans that he has to pay three hookers to play the game with him)

Edited by Glen-i

14 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

(I can't find that comic about the setup faff... I tried googling it... You know, the one with that guy who moans that he has to pay three hookers to play the game with him)

I gotcha covered…

0Fd01O1.jpg

Totes worth it to play Tetra’s Trackers though!

• Thanks 2

Cheers! My mistake was forgetting that comic was actually about Crystal Chronicles.

It still works for this. And it is totes worth playing Tetra's Trackers, a game so good, even Animal Crossing: New Horizons referenced it. (Exactly who was that reference for?)

On 13/07/2021 at 4:57 PM, drahkon said:

Recommend me your favourite hidden gems for Game Cube.

Is this a good time to link to the N-Europe forum members’ Top 10 GameCube games? 😃

Other titles outside the obvious:

Chibi Robo: A little slow, but a fun and positive 3D platform / adventure game, with a likeable & charming cast of characters.  Good luck finding a copy for a reasonable price nowadays mind!

Beyond Good & Evil, and Eternal Darkness are probably too well known to be thought of as hidden gems, but both are high on my list.

Lost Kingdoms 2: I think it’s fair to say that Baten Kaitos did the ‘RPG using a card-based battle system’ better, but the real-time aspect of LK2 is fairly unique.

Great shout by @Dcubed on Beach Spikers too. It really is excellent fun in multiplayer and is so unexpected!

Edited by WackerJr
  • Thanks 2

So... More stuff has just come out from that old Gigaleak...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/update-super-mario-64-and-oot-source-leaked-massive-nintendo-data-leak-source-code-to-yoshis-island-a-link-to-the-past-f-zero-and-more.254724/page-77

A few tidbits...

Gonna list any details I find noteworthy on that one spreadsheet (covering GBA, GCN, DS and Wii games) talked about above.
Rhythm Tengoku is listed as 'RIQ' (full working title is known to be Rhythm IQ). Notes for the game say "The songs will be newly written for this game, so OK for the whole world"; yeah, right.
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast and Super Paper Mario are still listed as GameCube games.
'Kirby' is still listed as a GameCube title. Note says that the game should be made like Kirby Super Star.
Captain Rainbow was a GameCube game! Listed as 'ウラキャラ' (background character).
Lots of working titles for DS games. 'Tingle RPG', 'Burabura Donkey DS', 'Custom Robo DS', 'Yoshi's Island 2', etc.
Elite Beat Agents was once known as Super Sonic Agents.
Pokemon Pinball is listed as a DS title, with Wi-Fi support. Developer is 'FUSE'. Target release date was September 2006.
Geist DS is listed. Had online play.
Gauntlet DS.
Some game called 'PLUCKER', developed by 'NIGHTLIGHT'. Notes: 'Proposal from Richard Garfield, the creator of Magic the Gathering. A strategy game that replaces card games with figures'.
'Digitylish DS'. Super interesting; guess they were planning on bringing the series over to DS before DSi Ware was even a thing.
'Tennis' for Wii; guess this was folded into Wii Sports.
Excitetruck is known as 'World's Toughest Race'; notes say "A racing game that looks like a 4WD truck version of Excitebike with realistically oriented graphics."; guess they figured they should actually put Excite in the title.
Project Hammer is listed as 'Hammer Man'. Notes says "Aiming to create a Dynasty Warriors type game that will sell in North America."
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is just called 'Fire Emblem GC 2'. Note says "The direction is to increase the movie portion, which was well-received by users in the GC version."
Sphere, unreleased n-space game, is mentioned. "Female spy infiltration action. Metal Gear-like switching between multiple remote cameras".
'Metroid', developed by Intelligent Systems. Notes say "Release some time after Metroid Prime."
'Project X' by Retro Studios; the "action game featuring the Sheik from Zelda: Ocarina of Time."
'KNIGHT Wars' by Kuju; "Fantasy-based strategy with Battalion Wars assets."
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is listed as 'Project Sora', developed by HAL and Game Arts.
'sword fighting theme' developed by Y'sK; no idea what game this is.
Mario Strikers Charged (called 'Super Mario Strikers 2') was intentionally aiming for a EU launch first, and was aiming to be a launch title (which it missed).
'Revo R' by HAL. Notes say "Aiming for Pop Art style graphics" which made be think it was this unreleased Kirby game, but the genre is listed as Racing.
'Jump Super Stars' for Wii? Developer listed as Ganbarion.
'DDR Mario 2' on Wii. Developer is Konami, obviously."

1626805583006.jpg

Prototype Wii Remote designs!

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Hilarious proposed names for the Nintendo Revolution, before it became Wii!

Pretty wild that Captain Rainbow used to be a GCN game! (Also, confirmation that everything we heard about Retro Studios prototyping an action game starring Sheik was absolutely true!).

Oh and yes, it seems that one of the versions of the previously cancelled Metroid Dread was for Wii! (Perhaps that ended up becoming Other M instead?)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Surely some must be jokes, like "Nintendo Lethal Weapon". I do like "Nintendo Gameface".

Also, I wonder how sales would be different if the Wii was marketed as "New Nintendo GameCube".

An excellent expose video from Karl Jobst about the rise of Graded video games in recent years.  Some brilliant research here that shows how Heritage Auctions and WADA Games are artificially (and illegally) manipulating the video game collecting market with fake auctions & shill bidding (including the recent record breaking sale of Super Mario Bros for $1.5 million), and are artificially raising the prices of all retro games for everyone.

Turns out that the guys behind this recent scam are actually the same people who pulled the same scam with the American Coin Collecting market in the 80s!

It's a lengthy video (about 50 mins long), but it's a real eye opener! Strongly recommend a watch!

In fact, it was such a good documentary video that it inspired a market researcher to break the silence and publicly post data on the true scarcity of CIB, Sealed and Graded NES games (information that WADA Games and Heretage Auctions have deliberatly tried to hide!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

An excellent expose video from Karl Jobst about the rise of Graded video games in recent years.  Some brilliant research here that shows how Heritage Auctions and WADA Games are artificially (and illegally) manipulating the video game collecting market with fake auctions & shill bidding (including the recent record breaking sale of Super Mario Bros for $1.5 million), and are artificially raising the prices of all retro games for everyone.

Turns out that the guys behind this recent scam are actually the same people who pulled the same scam with the American Coin Collecting market in the 80s!

It's a lengthy video (about 50 mins long), but it's a real eye opener! Strongly recommend a watch!

In fact, it was such a good documentary video that it inspired a market researcher to break the silence and publicly post data on the true scarcity of CIB, Sealed and Graded NES games (information that WADA Games and Heretage Auctions have deliberatly tried to hide!)

Crazy stuff! :o

I remember being very surprised by the news of that insanely expensive Mario 64 a while back, but didn't really give it much more thought at the time, well, other than wishing my own copy of Mario 64 was still factory sealed. :heh:

• Thanks 1