NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

If I remember right I think I only ever played Rival Schools on a demo disc as well.

31 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you ever place the sequel on the Dreamcast? Both games are fantastic but the sequel pips it for me.

Project Justice: Rival Schools 2

ProjectJusticeRivalSchools2.jpg.685bda2c1f9902fe2666431678f0eb15.jpg

Great game, I've played it a few times, though when it comes to Fighting games, I don't tend to stick with them.

I've been going through a lot of my retro games, recently that has included Dreamcast as well, and I've only opted to keep a handful of Fighting games.

This game was going to be one of the titles I'd choose to keep, but if it comes down to it, I can sell it... though I might play it again soon, just to see if I can persuade myself to keep it, as it is a pretty fun and original Fighting game... just as the original game is.

Infact, it's a wonder that Capcom haven't ever capitalised on re-releasing either of these titles, aside from the original Rival Schools getting a PSN release, though that seems to be only in Japan, though I suppose you could make a Japanese account if you wanted to get it, but the point still stands, why not re-release both games as a double pack across all platforms for £25?

We already know that both Power Stone games are on the cards, so I think Rival Schools and Project Justice at least have half a chance if that re-release sells.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 3

I mean, Akira Kazama from that series is about to debut in Street Fighter V (either by the end of August, or early September). If there's any opportunity to promote Rival Schools and make the games available on any digital store, that'll be the time.

Incidentally, the main character Batsu (also playable in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom) is voiced by the same actor as Link. Good casting, because that dude screams a lot.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

CKRD9ri.jpg

qG92PDt.jpg

oFgOxtT.jpg

My childhood was just dropped through the door this morning. Booted it up on the PS3 but the copy protection stops me from going past the title screen. I'll wait untill the PS One gets here and try it again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martinist said:

My childhood was just dropped through the door this morning. Booted it up on the PS3 but the copy protection stops me from going past the title screen. I'll wait untill the PS One gets here and try it again.

I read a while back that it's one of the few games that doesn't run on the PS3. Very weird.

I played through the sequel last year on the PS4 and really enjoyed it. I was planning on picking up the original at some point but i've not got around to it yet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ike said:

There’s a listing for the Astro City mini on Amazon, sot it’s not, uh, limited to limited run games?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sega-Astrocity-Console-Electronic-Games/dp/B08ZBJ4N8K/

Awesome! Looks like people here might actually get a chance at getting it after all!

Do recommend a pickup.  It's not flawless, but it's a very solid little machine and well worth the asking price :D 

Edited by Dcubed

Sat and watched this yesterday evening.

Looks like a nice piece of kit but the problem with it the same as a lot of these devices in that they aren’t readily available. I think the OSSC seems to be the easiest of the get a hold of these days, with many places now making them.

I also read this article yesterday.

Nintendo Life: Golden Age of Gaming

I usually don’t give NintendoLife the time of day but someone posted this opinion piece elsewhere and I decided to give it a look.

After reading it I have to say it’s a hard disagree from me. Sure, they are very good games that get released these days but I don’t think any of the newer consoles and software matches the ones that came before them. Microsoft were at their best during the 360 era, Sony during the PS1/PS2 era and Nintendo...well, they’ve had many better eras than the one they are currently in. There’s a host of other reasons why I think past generations have been better than what we are currently experiencing but I’ve yelled at the cloud many times before in regards to this subject.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's too early to say for PS5 and Series X yet but the Switch for me has been played a lot less than probably any other Nintendo console I've owned. Even my Wii U got more use. I'd still say their golden era was the SNES.

I'd agree with you about the 360 being Microsoft's best era. For Sony it's a tougher one. I think it's probably a fight between PS2 and PS4 for me.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sat and watched this yesterday evening.

Looks like a nice piece of kit but the problem with it the same as a lot of these devices in that they aren’t readily available. I think the OSSC seems to be the easiest of the get a hold of these days, with many places now making them.

I also read this article yesterday.

Nintendo Life: Golden Age of Gaming

I usually don’t give NintendoLife the time of day but someone posted this opinion piece elsewhere and I decided to give it a look.

The great thing about the Retrotink 5x though is that it is a lot more readily available than the OSSC or Framemeister.  It’s also a LOT more plug n’ play friendly (I have the Retrotink 2x myself); very little in the way of faffing about with it (unlike the OSSC or Framemeister).  It just works.

After reading it I have to say it’s a hard disagree from me. Sure, they are very good games that get released these days but I don’t think any of the newer consoles and software matches the ones that came before them. Microsoft were at their best during the 360 era, Sony during the PS1/PS2 era and Nintendo...well, they’ve had many better eras than the one they are currently in. There’s a host of other reasons why I think past generations have been better than what we are currently experiencing but I’ve yelled at the cloud many times before in regards to this subject.

Yup, their editorials are usually shite; and this one is no exception.  As far as the traditional “AAA” side of the industry goes? Gameplay quality has never been so low across the board as it is now (yes, there are some exceptions, of course, but truly good games, let alone great ones, are such a rarity now).

Even Nintendo’s output leaves a LOT to be desired for those that have already played 99% of their output before on 3DS/Wii U/Wii/Gameboy (though Luigi’s Mansion 3 is absolutely 100% certified amazeballs; that I can’t deny).

Thank goodness we’re still seeing some bangers from the indie side of things though.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The great thing about the Retrotink 5x though is that it is a lot more readily available than the OSSC or Framemeister.  

The OSSC can be picked up everywhere now due to many people using the design and selling it themselves. I can go on eBay or Amazon and pick one up if I choose to do so but the Retrotink seems to be always out of stock and you have to import it. When I talk about readily available I mean I can order it from somewhere in the UK without jumping through hoops, preordering or being overcharged. 

16 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Thank goodness we’re still seeing some bangers from the indie side of things though.

I’ve become disillusioned with the indie scene. These days every indie game seems to be either a Metroidvania or Rogue-like. I’ve been disappointed by lots indie games that I’ve played over the past year or so, many being highly rated for some reason.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I’ve become disillusioned with the indie scene. These days every indie game seems to be either a Metroidvania or Rogue-like. I’ve been disappointed by lots indie games that I’ve played over the past year or so, many being highly rated for some reason.

I used to pick up so many Indie games. Feels like I’ve barely played any in the last year or so though. Nothing has jumped out at me and made me take notice.

Hermes left my PSOne in my compost bin for over a week!

I've only just found the damn thing. This is taped up pretty well so there doesn't seem to be much damage.

Hermes can suck a dick. Never got a slip through my door or anything!

Fucking thing was just sitting in there. Had to get the seller to give me the tracking number since they said it was delivered last Thursday. I put it in the tracker along with my postcode and the guy just flung it in my compost bin and took a picture.

If it wasn't for that picture it would still be laying in there right now.

• Sad 2
  • Angry 3

Hermes are a fucking terrible company. My heart drops every single time I see I’ve been sent something through them. They shouldn’t be allowed to operate.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, martinist said:

Hermes left my PSOne in my compost bin for over a week!

I've only just found the damn thing. This is taped up pretty well so there doesn't seem to be much damage.

Hermes can suck a dick. Never got a slip through my door or anything!

Fucking thing was just sitting in there. Had to get the seller to give me the tracking number since they said it was delivered last Thursday. I put it in the tracker along with my postcode and the guy just flung it in my compost bin and took a picture.

If it wasn't for that picture it would still be laying in there right now.

Guy must've been a SEGA fan :p 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 5

Mega Man The Wily Wars is getting a physical release via Limited Run Games.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ike said:

Mega Man The Wily Wars is getting a physical release via Limited Run Games.

Ooooh, tempting. I always wanted a copy of that.

I popped into my local retro gaming store today. I’ve not been in since lockdown started last year but I needed to pick up some a Pokemon cards for my niece’s birthday. I had a look at some of the games the shop was selling and the prices are just insane now. At one time these types of places were reasonable but because they can check eBay and other online retailers the prices are just as high if not worse. £300 for Conker’s Bad Fur Day? Sod off.

The pandemic has really screwed up retro gaming. I’ve watched a fair few videos recently about how people are putting their collections on hold for now. They aren’t selling them but they aren’t buying anything either. The skyrocketing prices have essentially priced people out of the retro gaming scene. Games that used to be around the £30 range are now £70-£80. Those that were just under £100 are now pushing £200. It’s ridiculous. Hopefully once the pandemic is over some of these prices will settle down.

Thankfully, outside of a few titles, games that I have my eye on (PSOne/PS2) are still reasonably priced, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/05/2021 at 8:28 PM, Dcubed said:

Yup, their editorials are usually shite; and this one is no exception. 

I swear writers over at NintendoLife go around the internet, look at other Nintendo sites and then gather features for their site by nicking ideas/posts. Jonnas created the genre topic on here and then a couple of weeks later this pops up.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/soapbox_game_genres_are_broken

There was a topic on Era the other week about when was the last time a game entered your top 5 of all time and the this arrives from NL.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/talking_point_when_was_the_last_time_a_game_cracked_your_top_five

In this case both are by the same writer. This isn’t the first time I’ve noticed topics or posts on NE suddenly getting very similar articles over on NL. Maybe I’m just being paranoid but it does seem pretty weird. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I swear writers over at NintendoLife go around the internet, look at other Nintendo sites and then gather features for their site by nicking ideas/posts. Jonnas created the genre topic on here and then a couple of weeks later this pops up.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/soapbox_game_genres_are_broken

There was a topic on Era the other week about when was the last time a game entered your top 5 of all time and the this arrives from NL.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/talking_point_when_was_the_last_time_a_game_cracked_your_top_five

In this case both are by the same writer. This isn’t the first time I’ve noticed topics or posts on NE suddenly getting very similar articles over on NL. Maybe I’m just being paranoid but it does seem pretty weird. 

I remember when Kate Gray was writing for ONM she got a lot of stick on the ONM forums for her articles in the magazine... I guess things haven't changed much now!

• Thanks 1

Can't say I know much about Nintendo Life, but I'd be honoured if I found out some of my content inspired a whole article!

If anybody from Nintendo Life is reading this... play Dandara! Give that game some love! Also, link to us from time to time, will ya?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 22/05/2021 at 5:46 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I popped into my local retro gaming store today. I’ve not been in since lockdown started last year but I needed to pick up some a Pokemon cards for my niece’s birthday. I had a look at some of the games the shop was selling and the prices are just insane now. At one time these types of places were reasonable but because they can check eBay and other online retailers the prices are just as high if not worse. £300 for Conker’s Bad Fur Day? Sod off.

The pandemic has really screwed up retro gaming. I’ve watched a fair few videos recently about how people are putting their collections on hold for now. They aren’t selling them but they aren’t buying anything either. The skyrocketing prices have essentially priced people out of the retro gaming scene. Games that used to be around the £30 range are now £70-£80. Those that were just under £100 are now pushing £200. It’s ridiculous. Hopefully once the pandemic is over some of these prices will settle down.

Thankfully, outside of a few titles, games that I have my eye on (PSOne/PS2) are still reasonably priced, 

Yeah, prices have shot up across the board over the past year... You don’t even want to look at the prices of the heavy hitters on SEGA Saturn & Mega CD! (Some are actually hitting over a grand now! And those are Completed Listings!!!).

Hopefully we’ll see prices come back down with COVID now starting to come under control... But I don’t foresee prices coming down in any meaningful way until we start seeing something like the Virtual Console make a proper comeback and we start seeing regular, reliable, high quality re-releases become the norm again.

9 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Yeah, prices have shot up across the board over the past year... You don’t even want to look at the prices of the heavy hitters on SEGA Saturn & Mega CD! (Some are actually hitting over a grand now! And those are Completed Listings!!!).

Hopefully we’ll see prices come back down with COVID now starting to come under control... But I don’t foresee prices coming down in any meaningful way until we start seeing something like the Virtual Console make a proper comeback and we start seeing regular, reliable, high quality re-releases become the norm again.

To be honest, I don’t think such collections make any difference. For example, things like the Castlevania collection and various Mega Man collections have done nothing in terms of lowering the price of the actual original versions of the game. They’ve continue to go up, regardless of whether they are available digitally or not. This makes sense though, I mean part of the attraction in terms of playing and collecting retro games is the nostalgia that comes with it. Things like the original cases and instruction manuals go a long way in enticing gamers to part with their money. It’s not just about being able to play the game but also having the actual physical item in hand.

• Thanks 1

Had my mind somewhat blown this morning, as it turns out Demon's Souls in fact wasn't my first From Software game! 

After the recent update out of the blue to the PS3, I checked the Store as I'm interested in getting the games I want for the system digitally sooner rather than later, mainly wanting to look at Beyond Good & Evil HD's price. Yeah, I don't know if they've done this on purpose, and I know it wasn't great before, but that PS3 Store is now somehow slower than before, and even bringing up the menu to turn off the console or controller runs slow with it in the background, registering button inputs with a very noticeable delay. Naturally, this has got me wanting to get a list of games I want on the system and maybe just spend some time listening to a podcast as everything slowly gets bought and downloaded, so I looked up the list of PS2 Classics on the PS3 on Wikipedia. Nothing was really taking my fancy as I scrolled through, and I eventually came across The Adventures of Cookie & Cream - made by From Software? Obviously that must be pre-Souls, but something that sounds so innocent by them caught my eye, and so I had to look it up.

Turns out? That's what the game is called in North America. Over here and in Japan, it got released as...

68660--kuri-kuri-mix.png

...Kuri Kuri Mix! I played this back on the PS2 with my younger sister, and it was one of those games we picked up extremely cheap in the Used section at GAME. For a game aimed at kids, I can remember it at the time feeling bland and a bit difficult to make your way through at times, and was by no means a good game. We'd often play it for a couple of hours, making very little progress, and end up swapping over to something else, but it truly melts my mind that this was in fact my first From Software game. It's kind of got me curious to get it from my parents' and hook up the PS2 now! 

It's got me curious - are there any games that anyone here has come across where they played it through only to be surprised by the developers or people involved? 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Julius said:

It's got me curious - are there any games that anyone here has come across where they played it through only to be surprised by the developers or people involved? 

Hellnight.jpg

I bought this (as well as Mega Man X 4) back in the day while on holiday at Morcambe with my parents. It’s a first person, survival horror game that was made by Atlus. I didn’t even acknowledge the Atlus logo and instead focused on the Konami stamp. It wasn’t until years later that I realised that was an Atlus developed game. It’s is one of the rarer PSOne games to find these days but the game itself is awful though. Pretty sure it never made it back home with me as I think I traded it back in while still at Morcambe. :D 

• Haha 1