NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

46 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Tell me about it...

PSX-20210106-155027.jpg

Still annoyed that I can't find my copy of FF2. I also need to add FF7 Remake to the collection now that I'm done playing it.

Mines gonna be harder as well with she's carts that have no boxes. Might see if there's anywhere that creates replacement ones like I had done for my Mega Drive collection.

There we go, first lot bought. Won an eBay auction for FFX & XII nice and cheap.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

There we go, first lot bought. Won an eBay auction for FFX & XII nice and cheap.

Should have just nicked Goafer's extra copy of XII. Also, you should add the Piggyback books to the list. They are fantastic guides and would make lovely companion pieces to the collection.

@Goafer please upgrade your collection with the non-platinum versions of the games. :shakehead

@Goafer please add more platinum versions to your collection to annoy snob Hero. It's the only reason I still buy the steelbook versions of Yakuza games :laughing:

• Haha 2

This Final Fantasy collection is also reigniting my video game artbook obsession. Already tempted by a load of new FF ones!

49015746-2270406082972278-79265844007356

Grabbed Volume 2 of the Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive. Seems to be the harder of the three to find so figured I should get it first given the opportunity. Will probably get the others quite soon just to make sure I get the whole set.

• Like 1

Was going to create a separate thread to ask this but I think here is fine.

What are your 3 best retro gaming bargains pick ups over the years, whether it be from a games store, car boots or eBay.

Mine would be

1. Space Harrier for the 32X, boxed with instructions and inserts. £3 at a car boot. 

This is the only time I've ever seen a 32X game at a car boot.

2. Sega Saturn with 2 controllers and Sega Rally (unboxed). £1.50 at a car boot.

Again, the only time I've seen a saturn at a car boot. Still works great.

3. Gameboy Player with disc, £2 at a car boot.

I've had a crazy amount of luck over the years with car boots but its become a lot harder to find bargains with everyone these days having access to CEX & eBay on their phones.

Notable mentions.

50p for an original Gameboy

50p for CIB Ghouls N Ghosts for the megadrive

£2 for a Nintendo Wavebird with receiver

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Those are some crazy bargains. 

Hmmm... I'm not sure what would be classed as a bargain. A lot of retro stuff I've bought in the past has come at a cost, mainly due to me being very picky about the condition of things. Some of them are probably classed as bargains considering the condition but not when compared what they go for loose.

I'll have to have a gander at the retro shelf and see what I've got...

43 minutes ago, lostmario said:

2. Sega Saturn with 2 controllers and Sega Rally (unboxed). £1.50 at a car boot.

3. Gameboy Player with disc, £2 at a car boot.

I hate you. I've been looking around ebay for the GC gameboy player and they're all over priced.

That Saturn was a steal too it seems.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, martinist said:

I hate you. I've been looking around ebay for the GC gameboy player and they're all over priced.

That Saturn was a steal too it seems.

Yeah, they seem to shoot up in price early last year. No idea why either. ::shrug:

23 hours ago, lostmario said:

What are your 3 best retro gaming bargains pick ups over the years, whether it be from a games store, car boots or eBay.

1: Game Cube broadband adapter for £1 (or something equally as silly). Currently goes for over £100.

2: Steel Battalion, a sealed copy of the expansion and the controller for £50 ish. Even at the time it was going online for about £150. Looking on eBay, prices are now around £300.

3: Can't really remember any specific bargains, but I've become that friend who everyone gives their old consoles to. Got a free Saturn (first model) and Mega Drive 2 in the last few years.

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, lostmario said:

My best one isn’t so much a bargain as I didn’t pay for it. One day at work someone opened up an old store cupboard and found a ton of unsold Dreamcast stuff. It got dealt out to people that wanted it and my haul was the following:

51D0E4D4-8F25-442B-B31B-5CA785AF80C2.jpeg.7c67482a3e2d09c1d18483ca243c1a5c.jpeg

Unfortunately I gave it all (apart from the broadband adapter) to a friend when I left the US. Was pretty amazing to get all of that brand new for free.

Other than that I don’t think I’ve ever really managed to nab a great bargain. The one I really regret not picking up was a few years ago a ton of new in box Virtual Boys found their way to the stores in Japan and initially went for about $100 each. I was traveling back and forth between Japan and the US at the time and they were just way too big for it to make sense to buy. They gradually went up in price until they were around $500 and then disappeared.

• Like 4

This is a bit weird but also a nice surprise. Last May/June I picked up a brand new DSi XL that also came with a brand new copy of Pokemon Conquest. Days after this purchase things went a little south for me for a few months. Because of this, as soon the items arrived I just put them in the cupboard with my DS games and forgot about them. Whilst fishing out Super Princess Peach for the picture I took in the other thread, I came across my forgotten purchase and finally opened it!

Er7jYFJXAAErKyV?format=jpg&name=large

Er7kd4jXMAEuWDA?format=jpg&name=large

Er7j15XXAAAMGUw?format=jpg&name=large

I always wanted a DSi XL. I just rocked the original model and then Lite when I originally owned a DS but never did upgrade to this. It took a while to find a brand new model that was the colour I wanted. I hate the burgundy and yellow colour models and those were the ones that seemed to be mostly available.

I got Pokemon Conquest as part of the bundle. It originally came with Pokemon White 2 but seeing as I already have that I asked for it to be swapped with Conquest. The seller was happy to make the change.

I wonder how long these would have sat there had Aneres not mentioned Super Princess Peach?  :laughing:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Nice find @Hero-of-Time :D

Also a nice reminder of the days when dedicated Nintendo handhelds used to come with the power adapter in the box.

I don't have that many different models of the Nintendo DS or 3DS any more, as the upgrades were so frequent, I'd tend to buy the next model when it came out.

While I don't even use my 3DS as much as I used to, I still keep it as there's possibly a few games I'll return to, and I've got a spare New Nintendo 3DS XL just in case, plus one or two brand new adapters so that any 3DS consoles can continue to be used.

• Like 2

DSi/DSiXL is still the best way to play DS games.

Oh, and nothing beats the Mega Stylus that comes with the ol’ DSiXL! Still got mine! :D 

Pokemon Conquest is also a real good time.  Great choice you made there @Hero-of-Time :peace:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, S.C.G said:

While I don't even use my 3DS as much as I used to, I still keep it as there's possibly a few games I'll return to, and I've got a spare New Nintendo 3DS XL just in case, plus one or two brand new adapters so that any 3DS consoles can continue to be used.

I've also got a spare New 3DS for when my New 2DS eventually dies. It's just a shame that it's an Animal Crossing one and not a standard version.

I would have liked to have picked up another Vita as a spare but buying a new one now is pretty expensive. They never seemed to drop in price. That seems to be the case with most consoles these days. One time you could snap up a console that was past its generation for dirt cheap but it sadly just doesn't happen anymore. Again, I would have loved to have picked up a discounted new Wii U as a spare but they never appeared.

15 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Pokemon Conquest is also a real good time.  Great choice you made there @Hero-of-Time :peace:

I actually played this back in the day but I got rid of it before finishing it. No idea why as I do remember enjoying what I played.

• Thanks 1

Who likes cool things? I like cool things!

In case you don't know, David Wise and Kevin Bayliss have set up a new channel called DK Creations! And they're sharing previously unseen concept art & music from their games!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That middle DK at 4:48 looks a lot like the one from King Of Swing. Haven't watched the full video yet so don't know if they mention it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they used this art for KoS.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to that video, I got this one on my recommended:

Like a fascinating peek into an alternate timeline

• Thanks 1

I had this on in the background when playing Final Fantasy II yesterday evening.

Its probably been posted in this thread before as its a couple of years old at this point but I still enjoyed it.

To this day I still don't know what the fuss is about with both Super Metroid and the Prime series. As expected, the presenter talked about how amazing and essential plays both games are and then proceeded to talk about what a mess Other M is. That poor game always gets dragged through the mud. :( 

I've completed Super Metroid a fair few times now and it never clicks with me. The Prime games (1&2) I've only completed the once and I only played the third entry a few hours. I do fancy trying them again at some point just to see if my opinion will have changed.

• Thanks 1

Now, normally I can't stand Did You Know Gaming; what with how 99% of their content is just jacked straight from places like The Cutting Room Floor, Iwata Asks and Shmuplations, but this time? This time they've actually done some original research!! (I KNOW!!!) and it's... genuinely insightful!?!?

Holy crap!! I have a new found respect for them here! I actually learnt something new!

And it actually IS a pretty wild story! (If you still lurk around here @Serebii, take a look at this shiz!)

Well done DYKG! You've earnt some proper respect from me here! :peace: I genuinely recommend a watch to anyone with a passing interest in Pokemon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1