NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

My Life in Gaming - EverDrives & FXPak Pro

A nicely put together video showing the latest advancements in flash drives for consoles, it's also useful if you were considering picking one up, and want to see what the difference is between the old and new versions; I can understand why a lot of gamers would choose to have flash carts for all of their consoles, even though I do like to play original carts on original hardware, where possible

I own the EverDrive 64, mainly so that I can check out new versions of games based on old classics, such as Pefect Dark, Goldeneye, Super Mario 64 and Zelda to name but a few, though I was unaware of some of the newest advancements contained in some of the newer SNES and MD flash carts.

It makes for interesting viewing, if this is something you might be thinking about getting into. :smile:

• Thanks 1

Just binge watched these documentaries. 

Hearing him perform the Daytona song brought a huge smile on my face. :) 

The second part of the Mikami documentary is hilarious. His comment about the PS2 Final Fight remake/sequel had me in stitches. Also, the story about him making God Hand was a great listen. I still need to buy and play that at some point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Hearing him perform the Daytona song brought a huge smile on my face. :) 

This was really great, totally nuts song but brings back very happy memories.

Not sure where else I'd put this, so...

Movies with Mikey is a great series of film reviews/retrospectives told in Mikey's unique brand of humour and cadence, but he occasionally dips into other media. He often goes into great detail regarding a film's production history, his opinion on the work itself almost becoming secondary (despite this, his reviews often feel very personal).

Anyway, he did a video regarding Super Mario's history, from Donkey Kong to SMB3. It's pretty well put together, and even though it mostly comprises of information I already knew, there are quite a few tidbits that were new to me. And of course, I like Mikey's style, so this was a treat regardless. I recommend taking a look. And maybe check out some of his other videos if you like it.

• Thanks 1

Just a warning if anyone has bought from Analogue or just importing from the US in general.

Hope it calms down in time for the Pocket release.

I saw that earlier, I've been wondering whether or not to cancel that Polymega console, which I pre-ordered near the end of 2018.

It would probably be the more sensible (and cheaper) option, though I did buy a few games in preparation for it a while ago, some TurbograFX CD and TG-16 cards.

If I got a refund, it would be a lot cheaper and I could maybe buy a TurbograFX 16 plus a CD add-on instead, but again, for the amount of time it would actually be played... probably a refund and then don't buy any more consoles, plus maybe not even keep the TurbograFX games/controller would be the really sensible option.

Might depend when the Polymega is out, the dispute might be over by then. Brexit will probably makes things more expensive to import though, including from other European countries.

It’s Actraiser’s 30th anniversary!  So Yuzo Koshiro has done a new arrangement of Filmore in celebration!

Bow before The Master

Really interesting history of Panzer Dragoon Saga (Even if he does pronounce Zwei and Azel completely wrong).

The game really is incredible. It took me over 10 years and £150 to finally play the full game, but it was worth it.

• Thanks 1

This arrived yesterday.

EprLEo8XEAEzm6M?format=jpg&name=small

EprL1IwWwAAcgnZ?format=jpg&name=small

EprLjPAW4AMcGaE?format=jpg&name=small

EprMwKFXUAA84jJ?format=jpg&name=small

EprMjJjXIAIzE9I?format=jpg&name=small

EprM9S9W4AAHZes?format=jpg&name=small

Some of you may remember that a year or so back I picked up and posted pictures of the NES version of this book and like that, this sequel is just as good a read. It goes through all of the SNES games that were ever released in the West, giving a quick write up of each of the games. As you can see, it also features a bonus section that covers all of the Virtual Boy library. It's certainly worth picking up if you are a Nintendo fan and have fond memories of the SNES era. It was only £21 from Amazon and it could make a lovely Christmas present for someone or even yourself. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Starting to make plans to make my own arcade cabinet. Think I might buy one of those pre-cut sets for the body then work out the inside, screen, sticks etc myself (although I may end up buying the sticks and buttons as part of another set to avoid headaches)

9 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Starting to make plans to make my own arcade cabinet. Think I might buy one of those pre-cut sets for the body then work out the inside, screen, sticks etc myself (although I may end up buying the sticks and buttons as part of another set to avoid headaches)

Nice! I’ve had a Porta-Pi Arcade on my want list for a good few years now, will get round to it at some point. What kits are you thinking of using?

12 hours ago, Will said:

Nice! I’ve had a Porta-Pi Arcade on my want list for a good few years now, will get round to it at some point. What kits are you thinking of using?

No proper ideas for the kits so far. Mostly just been looking at the flat pack kits on eBay at the moments for the body. 

Tempted to look into making it a coffee table type one, maybe with some kind of coverable or even rotating screen.

After chatting with @Goafer about the FFVIIR soundtrack earlier along with really getting into XIV again recently I’m thinking about starting a proper Final Fantasy collection and getting all the games I can. Already got the US versions of 2 and 3 on SNES which should be some of the more expensive ones so it’s a good place to start. Shame I’ve sold a lot of my other various titles over the years but I can work on getting them back.

14 hours ago, Happenstance said:

After chatting with @Goafer about the FFVIIR soundtrack earlier along with really getting into XIV again recently I’m thinking about starting a proper Final Fantasy collection and getting all the games I can. Already got the US versions of 2 and 3 on SNES which should be some of the more expensive ones so it’s a good place to start. Shame I’ve sold a lot of my other various titles over the years but I can work on getting them back.

What are you thinking of picking up? Just the original releases of each entry or getting stuff like the PSP, DS and GBA ports as well? Spin-offs included?

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What are you thinking of picking up? Just the original releases of each entry or getting stuff like the PSP, DS and GBA ports as well? Spin-offs included?

Unless he wants to play FF2, FF3 and FF5 in Japanese? He'll have to get the remakes of those instead (in which case I'd reccommend FF2 GBA, FF3 PSP/PC and FF5 GBA).

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Anything easily accessbile I will get so original entries then work my way out from there to more difficult to find or obscure stuff so if I see ports or spin offs at gaming markets for example I would probably pick them up. At the moment the plan is to basically type Final Fantasy into ebay and start looking for deals on any titles.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

My currently owned FF games (not digital) are:

Final Fantasy II (NA SNES)
Final Fantasy III (NA SNES)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn (PS4)

Shame it was only a year or so ago that I sold off the PS1 copies of 6, 7, 8 & 9.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

My currently owned FF games (not digital) are:

Final Fantasy II (NA SNES)
Final Fantasy III (NA SNES)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn (PS4)

Shame it was only a year or so ago that I sold off the PS1 copies of 6, 7, 8 & 9.

To be fair, you really dodged a bullet with FF6 PS1! That version is godawful!  FF6 SNES (FF3 US) is still the best version you can get till this day, so well done on that one.

Thankfully the Switch versions of FF7-9 are really solid now; now that they have had the kinks worked out.  I'd actually recommend them over the PS1 versions now; if only for the really nice speed up feature (and the portability of course).  The PS4/PC versions still have a few bugs that haven't been fixed yet (though have now been corrected in the Switch versions).

Bare in mind that FF4 SNES (FF2 US) is not a great version of FF4, since it was heavily censored, heavily cut down in terms of difficulty and even gameplay features with its original release.  It certainly has a unique charm about it, but I would really recommend getting your hands on FF4 for PSP (the best currently available version) or GBA (Only the EU release; the US one is super buggy,  EU one isn't perfect, but it's a damn sight better than the broken US GBA version!).  Avoid the 3D DS remake of FF4, it's a very different game and not as good as the original 2D one.

Otherwise? You can't really go wrong with any HD version of FF10/10-2 or FF12; so long as it is not the PS3 version of FF10.

So basically, this is the list of ideal versions to get...

FF1: GBA

FF2: GBA

FF3: PSP/PC (either will do - both have improved loading times over the DS version)

FF4: PSP (If you can't get it, then the next best one is GBA; but ONLY the European release)

FF5: GBA

FF6: SNES

FF7: Switch

FF8: Switch

FF9: Switch

FF10 & 10-2: Switch or PS4

FF12: Switch or Xbox (Switch is portable, Xbox runs at 60FPS)

FF13 & The Sequels: Xbox (specifically when played on Xbox One X/Series X)

FF15: Xbox (specifically when played on Xbox One X/Series X)

For FFVII, VIII and IX i'd still opt for the original PSOne versions, especially when it comes to buying them for a collection. It's very nostalgic playing those, having the clean image on the box and needing to work your way through multiple discs. Plus, the characters and backgrounds on these versions blend much better than their HD counterparts.

The PSOne versions of FFV and FFVI and the only ones I've played. The loading times on FFVI were very rough. I always wanted to play the GBA version of FFV but never got around to buying it. Shame, as its quite pricey now and you also run the risk of getting a copy version.

• Like 1

I plan on getting as many versions as I can so it doesn't matter too much. It's a shame I never really have anywhere to display these collections. I've got a lot of the Yakuza games (just missing some of the Japan only titles) and all the Shenmue games but nowhere to really present them. Plus when you just have them on shelves showing their spines it always looks weird between different consoles or generations.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Plus when you just have them on shelves showing their spines it always looks weird between different consoles or generations.

Tell me about it...

PSX-20210106-155027.jpg

Still annoyed that I can't find my copy of FF2. I also need to add FF7 Remake to the collection now that I'm done playing it.

• Like 3