NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

It is done! Had a bit of a panic when the shipping screen wouldn't load there, and also when I noticed I accidentally removed the card I wanted to use from my Google Pay account, but got there in the end :laughing: shipping ended up being $35 for those curious. 

Now for the long wait and to pick up a couple of the GB and GBA games I've had my eye on when they're at a good price :D

Got mine too. Setup Apple Pay in advance and it didn't work. Said it was processing and the box just closed.

Managed to get my order in eventually the old fashioned way. I think the cart was having a bad time, first time I hit continue it error'd out.

37 minutes ago, Julius said:

Think I'm going to try for a black version, dock, case, and screen protector. If nothing else the dock is just there for the bigger screen option (I say this now, watch me never use it portably! :p)

Same order, and same, probably won't use the dock much.

• Like 1

Already out of stock on everything by the time I checked it just now. Oh well. Put my name down to be notified when there is more stock.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, will' said:

Already out of stock on everything by the time I checked it just now. Oh well. Put my name down to be notified when there is more stock.

It's not shipping for another 9 months, you would hope they would be able to make more available before then (depending on circumstances).

Wasn't expecting the cables to sell out as well.

Yeah I fully expect they will open up at least one more round of orders for this. It’s probably better I don’t drop another big amount of money this month anyway.

Well the Retrosix kit arrived yesterday and I put it together. There were no instructions so it was complete guess work/checking Youtube videos which didn't really explain anything in detail. I have no idea which pins you're supposed to solder the wires to so I skipped and decided to do it later. However I might might not do that since it's a pain to put the shell on, dunno if I've done something wrong but the shell just wouldn't come together properly and the shoulder buttons keep falling out. I eventually got it to be 99% where the seams are sealed.

The d-pad feels a bit hard to press, don't know if I've seated the membrane wrong or something or it needs wearing in and the L button doesn't feel the same as the R button. Dunno if I'm being over conscious.

The screen itself it fantastic, no complaints there, but there's a bit of light bleed in the top left and it looks like it's coming through the shell rather that there being a gap or anything. Might send an email to ask about that.

The shell I'm not as impressed with.

Overall it took maybe 2.5 hours to setup.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been looking at the Retro Bit Saturn pads, but I’m note sure which to buy. Maybe I’ve gotten bad at searching but I can’t really tell what the differences are between the Bluetooth pad and the 2.4ghz pad. From what I can tell the 2.4ghz pad is more hassle due to the dongle and doesn’t have rumble.

Do any of you guys know more?

Had no idea where to post this, so it goes here! I mean, it's retro-ish. Rare have just put out a 35th Anniversary Collection of music encompassing their history :grin:

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, will' said:

I’ve been looking at the Retro Bit Saturn pads, but I’m note sure which to buy. Maybe I’ve gotten bad at searching but I can’t really tell what the differences are between the Bluetooth pad and the 2.4ghz pad. From what I can tell the 2.4ghz pad is more hassle due to the dongle and doesn’t have rumble.

Do any of you guys know more?

I heard the 8Bitdo 2.4GHZ pads have a more reliable connection and less input lag. If that's true for the Retro Bit pads, I don't know. It will still depend on your environment and how congested the 2.4GHZ band is.

I only got the wired ones so I don't know much about the wireless ones. The wired ones have 10ft cables though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ike said:

I heard the 8Bitdo 2.4GHZ pads have a more reliable connection and less input lag. If that's true for the Retro Bit pads, I don't know. It will still depend on your environment and how congested the 2.4GHZ band is.

I only got the wired ones so I don't know much about the wireless ones. The wired ones have 10ft cables though.

Thanks!

I can’t say I’m too worried about the stability of a Bluetooth controller, so I think I’ll go for that version. Just a shame they have much better colors for the 2.4Ghz options.

Got my CleanJuice battery set up in my GBA.  Mostly painless, but the instructions on the website neglect to mention that you have to trim off the plastic tab on the right side of the battery compartment to get the rechargeable battery to fit.  Doh!

Otherwise? I’m very happy with it! Works as advertised! Pretty sweet that I can use the same charger as my Switch on my GBA now! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

On 06/08/2020 at 4:38 PM, Julius said:

Had no idea where to post this, so it goes here! I mean, it's retro-ish. Rare have just put out a 35th Anniversary Collection of music encompassing their history :grin:

Awesome, thanks for this. I’ll definitely be giving it a listen as I love Rare games & think they’ve had some fantastic arrangements (David Wise, Grant Kirkhope, Robin Beanland we’re brilliant!).

• Like 1

Am I the only one who's bothered that Banjo in that band-based artwork is not playing the banjo?

It really bugs me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Am I the only one who's bothered that Banjo in that band-based artwork is not playing the banjo?

It really bugs me.

Miyamoto owns the rights to the instrument.

• Haha 4

Playing on my modded GBA... Man, I wish that DS/3DS could get this treatment... What a difference the new IPS screen and CleanJuice battery makes! Feels like something that was just released today! (Only with games that are actually good, and not junk food shit... unlike most games today!)

Maybe in about 15-20 years we’ll finally get a DS/3DS that doesn’t have a shit screen...

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, Dcubed said:

Playing on my modded GBA... Man, I wish that DS/3DS could get this treatment... What a difference the new IPS screen and CleanJuice battery makes!

Maybe in about 15-20 years we’ll finally get a DS/3DS that doesn’t have a shit screen...

Retrosix got back to me. Said they've never seen the light bleed thing before and I can put some electrical tape on it. Which isn't an ideal solution and it'll either need to go in the inside and lift the screen slight or under the screen but I'll have to put it all the way round.

They said the dpad was a known issue with the membrane and they have a new version but it's not in full production yet and to said to give them a couple of weeks, dunno if that's something you'd be interested in?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Playing on my modded GBA... Man, I wish that DS/3DS could get this treatment... What a difference the new IPS screen and CleanJuice battery makes! Feels like something that was just released today! (Only with games that are actually good, and not junk food shit... unlike most games today!)

Don't worry :hehe:

Once Nintendo are done porting all their Wii U games to Switch they'll start porting their 3DS library.

Nintendo need never make a new game again!

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Ike said:

Retrosix got back to me. Said they've never seen the light bleed thing before and I can put some electrical tape on it. Which isn't an ideal solution and it'll either need to go in the inside and lift the screen slight or under the screen but I'll have to put it all the way round.

They said the dpad was a known issue with the membrane and they have a new version but it's not in full production yet and to said to give them a couple of weeks, dunno if that's something you'd be interested in?

Well, I got my shell done by Funny Playing rather than RetroSix... The original GBA d-pad was never the best, so if they’re doing an improved membrane, I might well be interested actually!  Thanks for the heads up :hehe:

21 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Well, I got my shell done by Funny Playing rather than RetroSix... The original GBA d-pad was never the best, so if they’re doing an improved membrane, I might well be interested actually!  Thanks for the heads up :hehe:

Right, I keep forgetting. :laughing:

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I should probably say it’s an issue with the Retrosix dpad, not the original one. I don’t know if the new membrane is meant to be closer to Nintendo’s or better. 

Wasn't sure where to put this, but the full version of Look a Like from the Sonic OVA/Movie (the animated one) got released. And it's even more non-sensical. Been wanted to hear the full song for years.

• Thanks 1

Random question.  Does anywhere know any good places to buy US import retro games from within the UK other than eBay?

I'm looking to get decently priced US/NTSC copies of the Tony Hawks games for Gamecube, but the shipping costs & import charges via eBay are just completely ridiculous! They're more than the actual bloody games themselves!!

Edited by Dcubed

6 hours ago, Mandalore said:

Someone made a mod for F-Zero GP Legend to restore/add all of the e-reader content.

I'm tempted to get a GBA flash card to try it out, has anyone got any recommendations?

Oh damn! That's super cool! Might have to give that a go myself!

I have the Everdrive X5; it's the best GBA flash cartridge currently available.  All these mods work perfectly fine with it.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

The television adaptation of Console Wars is dropping on CBS All Access on 23rd September. 

Haven't yet found word on a UK/global release date, but looks good all the same! 

• Thanks 1

My God! It's finally getting released!? This has been in development for like half a decade!

Shocking that they actually managed to get Howard Phillips, Howard Lincoln and Peter Main to interview for this! Thought we'd never hear from them again!

Looking forward to it :hehe:

Edited by Dcubed