NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I don’t even know where to begin! So much history just... laid bare!

How about Black Woman Pilot in Star Fox 2?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzSW5RxvdkY7xpsWe-xeT

Mad to think they were considering a human character for the Star Fox universe.

SIbVEfA.pngDMeljfY.png

There's some Super Mario World Bowser sprites. (Kinda looks better without his mouth hanging open)

And to finish it off with some nightmares, here's beta Giant Baby Bowser from Yoshi's Island.

x3hCaIu.png

Jesus Christ, how horrifying!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

And to finish it off with some nightmares, here's beta Giant Baby Bowser from Yoshi's Island.

x3hCaIu.png

Jesus Christ, how horrifying!

:laughing:

This is some fascinating stuff for sure. Can’t believe I’ve just been listening to “new” Super Mario Kart music in 2020! :o 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nintendo fan artists sure do work fast!

The Mario World Peach laughing sprite is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

Welp, now a bunch of N64 games data has been released. This is nuts! (Still quite early, so nothing hilarious... Yet...)

Edited by Glen-i

Its very interesting to see all of this stuff. We've always known Nintendo archive pretty much everything including all the beta stuff, but we rarely get to see it outside of little snippets in Iwata Asks interviews. A lot of what's come out the past day or so has been things I've wanted to see for close to two decades, so this is all pretty amazing. One of my favorite things so far out of this, aside from seeing all the unused sprites and textures from these games, has been hearing the uncompressed audio from games like Star Fox 64:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/23/2020 at 12:44 AM, Ike said:

It might be happening.questionmark

It's 3PM UK time if my calculations are correct.

Wondering whether to stay up for this. Do you guys think it’s likely to be just an announcement or could it be straight into pre-orders? 

1 hour ago, will' said:

Wondering whether to stay up for this. Do you guys think it’s likely to be just an announcement or could it be straight into pre-orders? 

Hoping it's opening the preorders, not sure why they would announce a date for dropping info.

Nothing has happened yet, so dunno if I got the time wrong or they are late.

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

Hoping it's opening the preorders, not sure why they would announce a date for dropping info.

Nothing has happened yet, so dunno if I got the time wrong or they are late.

Should be 4pm

It starts in 45 minutes, which actually is only 11pm for me so no issue anyway. Will be at the ready with my credit card.

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

Preorders start on the 3rd August.

https://www.analogue.co/store/

Well...that's a bit of a buzzkill. Oh well, it's only one week!

I've actually been toying with the idea of picking up a modded GBA for the last 7 or 8 months, because there are certain games I'm interested in playing that just aren't widely available on modern platforms, as well as revisiting some I already own.

Going to try my best to get a pre-order in, but I finish work at 16:30 next week :shakehead being kept on my toes at least! 

They have such a long lead time they won’t really be limiting it will they? Should be easy enough for them to manufacture as many as there are orders for and the more they can make the cheaper each is. At least that’s what I’d have assumed.

I’ll try and get an order in for the black one, it looks very cool as a device and I’d love to have one of these in my bag when I’m out and about.

52 minutes ago, will' said:

They have such a long lead time they won’t really be limiting it will they? Should be easy enough for them to manufacture as many as there are orders for and the more they can make the cheaper each is. At least that’s what I’d have assumed.

I’ll try and get an order in for the black one, it looks very cool as a device and I’d love to have one of these in my bag when I’m out and about.

They've restricted it to 2 per customer, but they've given scalpers a week to write their bots. :heh:

Pocket + Dock + Case + Screen Protector = 346USD (~£268). That's without shipping and customs so will probably end up over £300.

There's no EU/UK style power adapter, although not that you need one, I'm sure any phone adapter will work.

At least the Dock is launching at the same time.

The two per customer suggests to me that they’re not too worried about numbers and just want to stop people buying hundreds of the things. I’m not too worried about not getting one at this point. (Watch me be disappointed come pre-order day)

8 hours ago, Ike said:

Pocket + Dock + Case + Screen Protector = 346USD (~£268). That's without shipping and customs so will probably end up over £300.

It’s not cheap if you go for a full set of things. I’m not going to bother with the dock, just the machine, the game gear adapter and maybe the link cable.

8 hours ago, Ike said:

There's no EU/UK style power adapter, although not that you need one, I'm sure any phone adapter will work.

I don’t think there’s any point in getting the one from them. Decent phone adapters will be as good or better, all of the USB-C chargers I have are far more powerful.

Edited by will'

Yeah... I’m out.  No wireless multiplayer support, no GBA/GCN link up and that price? YEESH!

I’ll stick with my IPS Modded GBA thank you very much.

• Thanks 1

On 28/07/2020 at 7:24 AM, Dcubed said:

I’ll stick with my IPS Modded GBA thank you very much.

Tempted to do so myself but looks like it will end up costing £177.76 and I still want the Pocket so not really sure it's really worth the cost.

Also, it looks like the Clean juice v1.1 is available now.

• Thanks 1

Quidco are doing 25% cashback on eBay purchases today only, so ordered a Retresix shell and an IPS screen. So get a decent amount cashback if it goes through.

On 29/07/2020 at 7:10 PM, Ike said:

Tempted to do so myself but looks like it will end up costing £177.76 and I still want the Pocket so not really sure it's really worth the cost.

Also, it looks like the Clean juice v1.1 is available now.

Cheers mate! Just copped one along with a matching battery cover! :peace:

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Quidco are doing 25% cashback on eBay purchases today only, so ordered a Retresix shell and an IPS screen. So get a decent amount cashback if it goes through.

You won’t regret it! The quality of the screen is amazing!

Just a reminder that pre-orders for the Pocket are going up in just under half an hour, @will' and @Ike :peace: 

Think I'm going to try for a black version, dock, case, and screen protector. If nothing else the dock is just there for the bigger screen option (I say this now, watch me never use it portably! :p)

• Thanks 2

It is done! Had a bit of a panic when the shipping screen wouldn't load there, and also when I noticed I accidentally removed the card I wanted to use from my Google Pay account, but got there in the end :laughing: shipping ended up being $35 for those curious. 

Now for the long wait and to pick up a couple of the GB and GBA games I've had my eye on when they're at a good price :D

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1