NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Got the same except I got a solid 8th June estimate. Weird, but glad it should be in our hands soon.

Edit: Ah, probably just the shipping option.

• Thanks 1

Forgot I had mine delivered to an Amazon Locker, it's ready to collect so I just need to go pick it up.

So I've had a chance to have a bit of a play with it and I love it! :D

So well put together! The interface is beautiful and full of charm, the controller is absolutely spot on, all the little touches, secrets and things they've done absolutely exhude love and care! (I absolutely love how you can access all of the hidden screens for putting the wrong system card in and all!), no obvious sound or input lag, and the emulation is spot on.  The secret games are just an amazing effort, the new version of Fantasy Zone is SO much better than the original retail version! What a lovely little machine!

However, I do have one complaint... The lack of Horizontal Interpolation in the 4:3 mode is very annoying.  There's a very obvious shimmer effect and it's pissing me off.  The most frustrating thing? The CRT filter actually DOES have Horizontal Interpolation, but there's no way to have it without the rubbish looking scanlines and blur! WHY!?

You can, of course, turn on pixel perfect mode and that clears up the shimmer, but then everything is too skinny... Not ideal.

It's a shame, because otherwise this package is basically perfect (outside of some unfortunate game omissions, like Gate of Thunder and The Legendary Axe).  I can still roll with it though; it's just such a great package overall and well, WELL worth the money!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Aw, yeah.

y4my7g2xMfAsQs-Wkrk5xozBy6Q6-sE5b-sfVtWJ

y4m0UkVnR-itcM87x97CZHiuPL_6h52BG_5KQc1r

As good as the UI/menu is, the resolution screen doesn't name the different options (unless I'm blind), I think I'm using pixel perfect here (3rd option) and I turned on the scanlines.

The cover on the back which covers the ports comes straight off. Can see that getting lost. The cable for the controller is also super long almost don't need 8Bitdo's wireless version.

• Thanks 2

I moved all my handhelds to a different place and decided to fire up the Game Gear. Thankfully, it works a hell of a lot better than my original Game Boys, which both have areas of the screen that just don't work. One is mint otherwise, so it's not like they've both been abused. Guess that Nintendo Seal of Quality had an expiry date...

The Game Gear did take a few blows in the cartridge slot to get it to actually recognise games, but now that it does it works perfectly. So does the Master Gear converter:

105421452_10164012117740341_362056531349

105314392_10164010793780341_892567937913

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Not mini enough

You sound like me when I hit the scales every morning.

@Dcubed noticed the Mega EverDrive Pro launched a week or so ago (the one with mega CD support).

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Haven't seen @Hero-of-Time on for a while. Anyone know if he's ok?

I messaged Adam a couple of weeks ago, around the time of his birthday, though I haven't had a reply yet as I don't think he has been on at all since the end of April. :hmm:

@Julius was asking after him as well, as we exchanged PM's and I explained that I haven't heard anything, I really do hope he's OK though.

If you're reading this Adam, you can see that we're worried about you, even though I know that you have been away from the forum for a while before and if you're going through stuff, maybe you just didn't want to be on the forum for whatever reason, which is fine, we respect that and what with how this year is going generally, we definitely understand.

Now watch @Hero-of-Time come back tomorrow, from playing a marathon session of every game in his possession, with a huge updated in the 2020 Gaming Diary thread saying 'I've finished them ALL!' :p Or at least that's what I'd like to think...

Wishing you all the best Hero, whatever you're up to and if you ever need us, we're here.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I know he sometimes takes a break from forums for a while sometimes, no one seen him post of Resetera or anything? He not been online on his Switch for a while and I don't have his PSN to know if he been on there.

I was going to drop him a PM, which I'll do now.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Ike said:

@Dcubed noticed the Mega EverDrive Pro launched a week or so ago (the one with mega CD support).

Game Sack have already done a review of it...

Looks like it's not as polished as the Mega SD, but it is a bit cheaper.

Remembering...  

content-2-36282-rememberingperfectdarksi

Perfect Dark  

Today marks the twentieth anniversary of Perfect Dark being released on the Nintendo 64 in Europe, on June 30th, 2000 Rare released what is one of its most ambitious, original and most fondly remembered titles in the history of the company. It's a game which I can recall looking forward to, purchasing the game on release and it's still a game which is well worth playing today. Check inside for N-Europe's celebratory article of a truly great N64 game and a title with a lasting legacy.

OK, technically yesterday... but I started writing this the day before and I definitely started uploading the article on the day in the afternoon, so it still counts. :p

Thanks again to @RedShell for supplying the perfect graphics :D and to  @Jonnas for the much appreciated proofread. :)

(both of which were done at short notice, so I'm extra grateful that this all came together)

I'm not too sure what kind of feature it ended up being in the end, but hopefully it will prove to be an enjoyable read and if not then... ::shrug:

I want to play some Perfect Dark now... :smile:

• Thanks 3

ANALOG FRONTIERS - Part 2: Original Hardware / MY LIFE IN GAMING

Absolutely essential viewing for anyone with even a passing interest in Retro Gaming. :peace:

It contains tips for preserving the life of original hardware, modifications and so much more. :bowdown:

Also, it's just really inspiring to see so many people actively preserving so many different aspects of videogames and wanting to impart decent knowledge to anyone interested. :smile:

• Thanks 1

Just found out about this recently...

https://retrosix.co.uk/CleanJuice-USB-C-Battery-Pack-Game-Boy-Advance-p195931214

You can now get a modern USB-C battery pack for the original GBA model! Runs for 15+ hours plus, even with the new IPS Backlight screen mod installed! :D 

VERY interested in this... except right now, it doesn't currently allow the battery indicator to work properly (The light just stays green until it switches off the GBA).  Soon as they fix this (which is apparantly happening in the next batch), I am SO copping one of these! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

So it seems that the new run of the Analogue NT Mini (The NT Mini Noir) is actually not just a rebadged version of the previous model, but is actually a substantial upgrade over the original...

There's also a new option in the menu that supports the Analogue DAC... which hints at them planning a cost-reduced version that is more along the lines of the Super NT and the Mega SG! Let's hope they do, because $499.99 for an Analogue NES is outrageous, no matter how fancy the casing and Analog RGB output features are.

Gimme a simplified HDMI-only model like the Super NT and you have my money Analogue!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

It does look awesome but yeah, $500 is not something many people will pay.

I wish they would give an update on what’s going on with the Pocket - that one I’m very interested in picking up.

6 minutes ago, will' said:

I wish they would give an update on what’s going on with the Pocket - that one I’m very interested in picking up.

Likewise.  I'm pretty sure that the Pocket isn't coming out this year anymore though...

That's great news about the Analogue NT Mini  Noir as those are some really nice features.

I'm a bit conflicted because, don't ask me why but I put down a pre-order for one back in February as I managed to get enough money together for it after selling some games.

But the other day, after learning about the further delay, I actually put in an e-mail to cancel the pre-order.

It's a nice machine, Analogue make some amazing products but it is very pricey, I know the machine would keep its value but still.

I've been rethinking a lot of stuff recently and maybe keeping the pre-order wouldn't be the wisest move in terms of short-term finance, in the longer run though, it's a nice console.

Also, I've just taken a look at that video, the game they used in in; Gimmick looks amazing, I don't suppose that would end up being the game they put on the actual system? If so, that could be something which would swing the decision a bit, that's a rare game and an outstanding one by the look of it. If it was on the system, more people would get to play it as well, though something like that could do with a re-release in digital form or otherwise.

24 minutes ago, will' said:

I mean, it sold out. You could almost argue they mis-sold it if you wanted to spin it that way. I agree it's suspicious they added all these enhancements to a product that was already sold out.

Analogue's lack of communication is really bad and is getting quite annoying, I think the Pocket is likely delayed as well but they just haven't said anything. I know they never gave a solid release window in the first place but it's still bad communication.

I think I said this before, but I would love to put an IPS screen into a Gameboy but all they to require cutting up the shell which I can't bring myself to do, unless I buy another console/pre-mod'd one.

@Dcubed (ore anyone) have you bought from that retrosix store before? I might grab a new speaker for my GBC from them. if they are trust worthy.

31 minutes ago, Ike said:

I mean, it sold out. You could almost argue they mis-sold it if you wanted to spin it that way. I agree it's suspicious they added all these enhancements to a product that was already sold out.

I stand corrected! Had no idea that it had sold out.

I agree with you guys that the Pocket probably isn’t coming out this year, which is a shame. Was planning to get one for me and one for my Dad for Christmas.

@Ike - I’ve been thinking of buying some of the upgrades and self modding a gameboy too. I’ve been casually looking for a gameboy pocket in the DMG orginal colour scheme to do it with but haven’t managed to find one. Think it would be a fun project but I’m not sure I’d have the required skills.

11 minutes ago, will' said:

I stand corrected! Had no idea that it had sold out.

To be fair, it didn't sell out straight away, it took a couple of weeks. But I guess there's a market out there.

I think you just need some soldering skills really, which isn't too difficult but carries some risk.

40 minutes ago, Ike said:

Analogue's lack of communication is really bad and is getting quite annoying, I think the Pocket is likely delayed as well but they just haven't said anything. I know they never gave a solid release window in the first place but it's still bad communication.

I think I said this before, but I would love to put an IPS screen into a Gameboy but all they to require cutting up the shell which I can't bring myself to do, unless I buy another console/pre-mod'd one.

@Dcubed (ore anyone) have you bought from that retrosix store before? I might grab a new speaker for my GBC from them. if they are trust worthy.

I've not bought from them before; but if you're interested in an IPS modded GBA (which you should be!), you want to make sure that you're getting an IPS screen from Funnyplaying (they're the ones making the new IPS screen mod).  I actually bought my IPS GBA pre-modded directly from them; but sadly it seems that they're not currently selling pre-modded units for whatever reason... There's plenty of places where you can buy pre-modded GBAs though.