NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Had no idea that magazines got to preview Sonic CD 9 whole months before its release... that’s probably where that new prototype release came from!! One of the staff working for one of those magazines must’ve nicked the CD!    Another great video from Splashwave as usual; learnt something new from it too! :D 

I totally didn’t just copy/paste this in the right place after making a terrible mistake...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 2

I think I'm finally gonna start work on getting some display shelves for my console collection. If I can get maybe a 2 high cube unit then it can sit on the floor under my projector screen. Need to have a think next what method I want to use to light them.

Basically aiming for something like this but probably wider for more cubes. Need to get back from work tonight and measure to see what space I'm working with along with actually counting my console collection. Got a feeling I wouldn't be able to display everything. 

0d889ade3a39ad611ef13fd85b1c4292.jpg

Edited by Happenstance

Looks pretty good, although I don't want to see what's going on behind those shelves.

Just now, Sméagol said:

Looks pretty good, although I don't want to see what's going on behind those shelves.

Thankfully none of mine would be wired when I display them. They'd have to come out to be used.

Era was on about this video the other day and I decided to give it a watch.

Not my type of presenting style at all ( did give me a few laughs though ) but it was interesting looking back at just how weird and perverted the magazine became. I used to read both the official PS magazine and PLAY. PLAY didn't pander as much to the chav audience but it did feature a lot of the same type of advertising that flooded the official magazine. The official magazine essentially became some weird version of FHM that just happened to have a few video game reviews in it.

I do miss gaming magazines a lot. It was great when that special Super Play issue was released when the SNES mini came out. It really took me back. I do regret having to get rid of a lot of my official Nintendo magazines ( probably around 10+ years ago now) but there was simply nowhere to store them all. They take up so much room. In hindsight I really should have just bought some containers and then put them up the attic. I do often think about collecting certain gaming magazines again. Getting a complete run of Saturn or Dreamcast magazines would be pretty cool and with them not having a long run, they could be easily stored.

Aw, the TurboGrafx mini got delayed due to coronavirus, was looking forward to that.

• Sad 1

On 06/03/2020 at 8:51 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

I do miss gaming magazines a lot.

Funny that you mentioned that as I was in WHSmiths looking at the rather sorry state of the gaming mag selection and missing the days of old this week. I almost bought Edge just for the sake of it, but there wasn't much in there that interested me. I picked up the Retro Gamer "annual" as they didn't have this month's issue which has a feature on the TurboGrafx but they didn't have it. The Nintendo Catalogue they send out before Christmas was a real nostalgia kick.

I still have most of mine but I kinda want to get rid due to the space they take up but can't quite bring myself round to getting rid of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, that Nintendo catalogue was a real surprise. Really made me feel like a kid again.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

Annoyingly with the catalogue they sent it to work for me. They must take the address from previous orders but there’s nowhere on your account page to delete addresses.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Ike said:

I still have most of mine but I kinda want to get rid due to the space they take up but can't quite bring myself round to getting rid of them.

I can empathise.  I thought I’d finally gotten rid of all mine until I recently discovered another box of NGamer magazines, some of which I was mentioned in.  Needless to say I’m now wrestling with my conscience again(!) in regards to throwing these out!

As an aside, if anyone is interested in collecting GameCube games, I’ve put in most of my collection individually on eBay, to end next Sunday.  This includes many of the usual suspects, but also includes some of the rarer ones such as Chibi-Robo and the bizarre game Cubivore (US version since it never came out in Europe).

Sad to see them go, but with such a gaming backlog I’m so unlikely to play them again (until Nintendo reveal some form of GameCube-mini or Virtual Console GameCube in the far-off future!).

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, WackerJr said:

As an aside, if anyone is interested in collecting GameCube games, I’ve put in most of my collection individually on eBay, to end next Sunday.  This includes many of the usual suspects, but also includes some of the rarer ones such as Chibi-Robo and the bizarre game Cubivore (US version since it never came out in Europe).

Sad to see them go, but with such a gaming backlog I’m so unlikely to play them again (until Nintendo reveal some form of GameCube-mini or Virtual Console GameCube in the far-off future!).

Always sad to hear of anyone selling up their GameCube collection, I hope you get a good price for your games though. :)

I just had a look at Cubivore... that should do well I'd have thought, I can't believe copies of it seem to be selling for nearly £200... in the U.S. at least but that should apply here too.

In fact, because yours is the only UK copy on there, that should work in your favour because if anyone in the UK is bidding on it they won't have to pay huge U.S. postage fees.

Wishing you all the best with the sales, I'll be keeping an eye on Cubivore purely out of interest, it's such a cool game but very niche. :D

Ironically... if Nintendo were to release it today on the Switch in ANY form, I'm sure it would sell even though it probably has a small audience.

• Thanks 1

I bought/imported Cubivore back during the Cube era. To this day I've never actually played it. Thing has just sat on my shelf, slowly going up in value. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I bought/imported Cubivore back during the Cube era. To this day I've never actually played it. Thing has just sat on my shelf, slowly going up in value. :D 

My brother and I started a file on it probably a few years back now, played the opening chapters... it's certainly interesting and one to return to. :)

• Like 1

On 08/03/2020 at 12:56 PM, S.C.G said:

I just had a look at Cubivore... that should do well I'd have thought, I can't believe copies of it seem to be selling for nearly £200... in the U.S. at least but that should apply here too.

In fact, because yours is the only UK copy on there, that should work in your favour because if anyone in the UK is bidding on it they won't have to pay huge U.S. postage fees.

Wishing you all the best with the sales, I'll be keeping an eye on Cubivore purely out of interest, it's such a cool game but very niche. :D

Ironically... if Nintendo were to release it today on the Switch in ANY form, I'm sure it would sell even though it probably has a small audience.

Thanks @S.C.G, I’m certainly keeping my fingers crossed! It’s currently sitting at just over £50 with half-a-week left so hoping for a late flurry!

@Hero-of-Time certainly worth playing at some point.  It’s a strange one, although I enjoyed the way your animal(?) evolved and that you had to play through it multiple times if you wanted to get the different evolutionary paths.  Sadly the gameplay is a little basic.  It was a neat concept and the block characters worked on its favour to show clearly the strength of the animals.   One to say you’ve played it, but maybe not on anyone’s “Best Of” lists.

• Like 2

Yo, @Dcubed and I are playing Split Screen Multiplayer Mario 64 and it is blooming wild!

We're already at 100 stars and the thing is just a riot a minute!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Aaand, finished!  All 120 stars collected and Bowser defeated.

Absolutely amazing all the way through! It's bonkers how well it works! They've even gone so far as to redub the intro and ending to reflect Luigi's presence!

Despite a bit of jank here and there, it works shockingly well! And on real N64 hardware to boot! Absolute riot from start to finish :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

I heard about split-screen multiplayer Super Mario 64 and I'm really looking forward to hopefully getting to try it out. :D

I'm just waiting for a time when I can sit down and play it with someone else who wants to play it, which will probably be whenever my younger brother next comes down. :)

I was curious to hear about those Mario Party boards as well @Dcubed as those sound like they could be a lot of fun. :smile:

There's a new version of Smash Remix N64 out now; just added Wario as a playable character, amongst MANY new additions!

It's bonkers how well it's all done! This definitely feels like the new Project M/Legacy XP! :D 

• Thanks 1

I picked up some more sealed DS games this week. I wasn't planning on buying anymore so soon but to be honest I needed some impulse purchasing to cheer me up in these anxious times. :( 

ETUXU4XXsAEqnK3?format=jpg&name=large

Mario vs Donkey Kong was a must have due to me recently playing though and loving some of previous entries of the series.

4 Heroes of Light is a JRPG that I never got around to playing when it was first released. With Bravely Default 2 being announced I figured I would pick this up.

Rhythm Paradise is another game I've not played, at least not this version. My experience with these games is very limited, with me only dabbling with the 3DS game.

Mario Slam Basketball I have actually played before. I imported it back in the day and remember enjoying my time with it. I've honestly no idea where or when I got rid of my US copy of the game. ::shrug:

Pokemon Typing Adventure is a DS game that I have been wanting to try for AGES. I often find the spinoff games are more enjoyable than the main entries of the series. It will be interesting if this game continues that trend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I picked up some more sealed DS games this week. I wasn't planning on buying anymore so soon but to be honest I needed some impulse purchasing to cheer me up in these anxious times. :( 

ETUXU4XXsAEqnK3?format=jpg&name=large

Mario vs Donkey Kong was a must have due to me recently playing though and loving some of previous entries of the series.

4 Heroes of Light is a JRPG that I never got around to playing when it was first released. With Bravely Default 2 being announced I figured I would pick this up.

Rhythm Paradise is another game I've not played, at least not this version. My experience with these games is very limited, with me only dabbling with the 3DS game.

Mario Slam Basketball I have actually played before. I imported it back in the day and remember enjoying my time with it. I've honestly no idea where or when I got rid of my US copy of the game. ::shrug:

Pokemon Typing Adventure is a DS game that I have been wanting to try for AGES. I often find the spinoff games are more enjoyable than the main entries of the series. It will be interesting if this game continues that trend.

Consider me educated, never knew Pokemon typing adventure was a thing. Out of interest, is Animal Crossing on your radar? Feels like the perfect game for the current climate, can see myself playing that during the next few weeks.

7 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Consider me educated, never knew Pokemon typing adventure was a thing. Out of interest, is Animal Crossing on your radar? Feels like the perfect game for the current climate, can see myself playing that during the next few weeks.

Kinda. I'm not a huge fan of the series but with this one being more goal orientated than past entries, it may be more to my liking and I'll possibly pick it up.

• Thanks 1

Pokemon Typing Adventure is good fun.  If you like Typing of The Dead, you’ll likely enjoy it.  The keyboard itself is also great and is one of the best portable Bluetooth keyboards you can buy.

Also has some of the absolute BEST and most UTTERLY HYPE boss battle music of all time :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1