NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'll put this in here even though some of the series is current.

Finally getting around to trying out the Legend of Heroes series. I'd always heard they were great RPGs and bought Trails in the Sky years ago on pc but never got around to playing it. Noticed the later ones on sale on the PSN today and thought they looked interesting so figured this was a good time to go back to that first one. Anyone else played them?

I always wanted to try the series out, especially Trails in the Sky but the final part not being available on the PSP/Vita made me never bother. I've heard good things about Trails of Cold Steel though and seeing as they are all on the PS4 I wouldn't mind giving them a go at some point.

Incidentally, I see the 3rd part of Cold Steel was announced for the Switch just yesterday. Seems a bit pointless if the first two aren't coming over.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I always wanted to try the series out, especially Trails in the Sky but the final part not being available on the PSP/Vita made me never bother. I've heard good things about Trails of Cold Steel though and seeing as they are all on the PS4 I wouldn't mind giving them a go at some point.

Incidentally, I see the 3rd part of Cold Steel was announced for the Switch just yesterday. Seems a bit pointless if the first two aren't coming over.

Makes you hope that could indicate some kind of collection coming at some point but as we know with things like Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U, unfortunately that's not always the case.

Looking into the series it looks like the unreleased ones have pretty good fan translations so I'm happy enough that I'll be able to work my way through all of them if I enjoy this first one.

Played an hour or so of Trail in the Sky earlier. Slow start so far so I don't have much of an opinion but I did want to say that I love the environment art style. The characters themselves not so much but the rotating environments are really nice.

01-01.0.jpg

It's a series I want to get into but haven't really had time to get around to.

A warning if you want to 100% it, some quests and events have a very small time window and you need to backtrack a lot to get them. Might be worth using a guide.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

It's a series I want to get into but haven't really had time to get around to.

A warning if you want to 100% it, some quests and events have a very small time window and you need to backtrack a lot to get them. Might be worth using a guide.

I might take a look to see what kind of stuff is missable but I'm not usually someone who needs to 100% stuff so I expect I'll be ok. Thanks though as it's good to know.

I had the urge to play Diddy Kong Racing, yesterday evening. I have no idea why this was the case but the urge was there. I unpacked the N64, fired up the game and spent a fair bit of time playing it. I think I ended up unlocking 23 of the balloons. I was happy I got to Snowflake Mountain as I love the setting of that area. I especially love the track that plays on Frosty Village, which is very fitting for the time of year we are at.

Soooooooooooooo good. :yay:

I always get nostalgic for the N64 around this time of year. I think it's due to the strong memory of playing a lot of games on it during the Christmas period, not to mention Nintendo releasing big games such as DK64 and OoT in the month of December. I may keep the console hooked up for a bit a play a few more games on it. 

As a side note, I played some Death Stranding straight after playing this and it's hilarious how bad the visuals on the N64 are when compared to what we have now. We really have come a look way since then.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I might take a look to see what kind of stuff is missable but I'm not usually someone who needs to 100% stuff so I expect I'll be ok. Thanks though as it's good to know.

I can't remember for sure, it was back to the PSP version when I last looked at this stuff, but I think it affects what you get when you transfer your save to the second game. If you're intending to do that.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think it's due to the strong memory of playing a lot of games on it during the Christmas period

Yes, Christmas time has always been video game time.
As usual, I will play through Super Mario World over the Christmas days. 96 exits-run and my sub-20-minutes run :D 

People, do you have a single game that's your go-to during these days?

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

People, do you have a single game that's your go-to during these days?

OoT is usually the one that I desire to play the most but it's very rare that I actually end up playing it during the festive period. I usually use my time off as more of a catch up time for the games that I have missed throughout the year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I usually use my time off as more of a catch up time for the games that I have missed throughout the year.

Like Slay the Spire this year? 

I'm gonna just mention this game every chance I get. :p  Until I get banned.

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

OoT is usually the one that I desire to play the most but it's very rare that I actually end up playing it during the festive period

This is a game that I always want to play again, but once I start I lose interest very quickly. ::shrug: 

SLAY THE SPIRE

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

This is a game that I always want to play again, but once I start I lose interest very quickly. ::shrug: 

I'm usually the opposite in that once I start I can't put it down. :D It's a very special game to me. It's still my favourite single player game of all time and the pinnacle of the Zelda series.

16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's still my favourite single player game of all time and the pinnacle of the Zelda series.

Alright, H-o-T. We really need to have a talk. Link's Awakening (the original, not the remake) is the pinnacle of the Zelda series. Any other opinion is invalid, stupid and - quite frankly - ridiculous. You should be ashamed and I hate you.

Slay the Spire!

Edited by drahkon

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Why? :( 

Lol, I guess I don't really hate it, I just didn't particularly like any of those N64 3D jumps. No a fan of Mario 64 either.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2019 at 8:25 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

I had the urge to play Diddy Kong Racing, yesterday evening. I have no idea why this was the case but the urge was there. I unpacked the N64, fired up the game and spent a fair bit of time playing it. I think I ended up unlocking 23 of the balloons. I was happy I got to Snowflake Mountain as I love the setting of that area. I especially love the track that plays on Frosty Village, which is very fitting for the time of year we are at.

Soooooooooooooo good. :yay:

I always get nostalgic for the N64 around this time of year. I think it's due to the strong memory of playing a lot of games on it during the Christmas period, not to mention Nintendo releasing big games such as DK64 and OoT in the month of December. I may keep the console hooked up for a bit a play a few more games on it. 

As a side note, I played some Death Stranding straight after playing this and it's hilarious how bad the visuals on the N64 are when compared to what we have now. We really have come a look way since then.

Likewise! DKR is a fab Xmas game!

N64 in general is a great Xmas console.  It's definitely the console I associate with Xmas the most (helped not in small part by the fact that most of its big releases were Xmas releases.  Seriously! You could cut out the entierty of its library that was released outside of the October-December period and you'd still be left with more than half of its heavy hitters! :p )

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This arrived this morning. Sorry for the shoddy pics (I really need a better phone :p ) but I figured it gives you a good idea about the contents.

ELvz8lfXsAAPPjL.jpg

ELvz8lrXkAI8_we.jpg

ELvz8ltXkAEHxRb.jpg

ELv1Xi9X0AE0d9S.jpg

ELv1XjKXUAE2VNs.jpg

ELv1XplXkAAWmpc.jpg

I've been after it for a while now but was unable to find the English version of the book until recently. It's by the same guys who made the N64 Anthology, which I also own, and it looks to be just as good a read as that was. It's a hefty sized, hardback book that has over 350 pages of Gamcube love that covers things likes every Gamecube game, unreleased games, the history of the hardware, the legacy of the Gamecube and a list of collectors edition of the consoles, to name but a few. For those interested in it, I snapped it up from eBay £30. 

HERE

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just saw this floating around...

One man's journey to find out who voiced the announcer for Super Monkey Ball!

A genuinely riveting watch! :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This arrived this morning. Sorry for the shoddy pics (I really need a better phone :p ) but I figured it gives you a good idea about the contents.

ELvz8lfXsAAPPjL.jpg

ELvz8lrXkAI8_we.jpg

ELvz8ltXkAEHxRb.jpg

ELv1Xi9X0AE0d9S.jpg

ELv1XjKXUAE2VNs.jpg

ELv1XplXkAAWmpc.jpg

I've been after it for a while now but was unable to find the English version of the book until recently. It's by the same guys who made the N64 Anthology, which I also own, and it looks to be just as good a read as that was. It's a hefty sized, hardback book that has over 350 pages of Gamcube love that covers things likes every Gamecube game, unreleased games, the history of the hardware, the legacy of the Gamecube and a list of collectors edition of the consoles, to name but a few. For those interested in it, I snapped it up from eBay £30. 

HERE

Looks good. I think I originally Kickstarted that book but cancelled it when I was low on funds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

My Dreamcast Kickstarted book finally arrived today. Looking forward to giving it a read tonight.

6ygtKLN.jpg

Oh nice, that's what the finished book looks like. :)

Mine arrived the other day but I hadn't opened it yet, I do intend to though and hopefully I'll read this one in a timely manner... :p

...and then start reading the rest, including that GameCube anthology which Hero posted about. :D

I've helped kickstart most of the main collected works and Bitmap Books over the years including one on the Master System, so I've got a few to get through now.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

Got myself a ticket to the London Video Game Orchestra performance for next Feb next year. Should hopefully be good. They're going old school this time so right up my alley.

www.lvgo.co.uk

• Thanks 1