NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

37 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Yes, I did. :)

Very much looking forward to getting it, then putting it in the huge box full of other video game books that I Kickstarted over the years. :D

Half serious... but when I have more time and a bit more space I'm planning on reading through them all. :smile:

Oh god I know that all too well. So many of these gaming books I never actually got around to reading and they were just taking up space so they’re now in a box at the back of my wardrobe.

• Haha 1

Hey, @Dcubed look what arrived today...well, technically yesterday but I was at work and missed the parcel. :p 

EIMVf32XUAE9AAQ.jpg

EIMVf3_WkAEhKBY.jpg

EIMVf4CXsAEEaqx.jpg

Everything is in mint condition and the games come with the posters as well!

It was a bit of a mad rush getting these. I bought them off the same seller and he had listed them to finish just 10 seconds apart from each other. I was bidding using my phone so I was having to slam sniping bids in, quickly back out, select the next one and then repeat the process for a third time. I had no idea if I had won any of them until the very last one. Chuffed to bits that i've final got them and all in one swoop no less. Just in time for Halloween. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Wow @Hero-of-Time! Is that perfect timing or what!? :D 

Out of interest, how much did each game cost you? I’m under the impression that they’re quite expensive/hard to get hold of now...

Enjoy! They’re all utterly brilliant! :D 

Edit: Oh! BTW, pro-tip: If you have a DS Lite/OG DS Fat model, be sure to start Dawn of Sorrow while you have Aria of Sorrow inserted into the GBA Slot.  If you do, you get to start off with the Soul Eater Ring, which ups the drop rate of souls (normally costs 300,000 gold!).  Note that this only works with matching region DS/GBA carts and does not work with the Castlevania Double Pack cartridge.

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Out of interest, how much did each game cost you? I’m under the impression that they’re quite expensive/hard to get hold of now...

It cost £150 for all 3 of them which is a decent deal. DoS usually goes for £40-£50. PoR goes for £50-£60. OoE is the most expensive and that goes for £70-£80. I actually put a bid in for OoE earlier in the month but was outbid and that went for around £75 and that was without the poster. I definitely done well with getting all 3 of them for this price I did, especially in the condition they are in.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It cost £150 for all 3 of them which is a decent deal. DoS usually goes for £40-£50. PoR goes for £50-£60. OoE is the most expensive and that goes for £70-£80. I actually put a bid in for OoE earlier in the month but was outbid and that went for around £75 and that was without the poster. I definitely done well with getting all 3 of them for this price I did, especially in the condition they are in.

Wow! Well done there, that IS a good price! :peace:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

DoS usually goes for £40-£50. 

Damn, I think I sold my copy back in the days for 10€... Being a poor student and a gamer was a bad combination, I've sold quite some valuable stuff for dirt cheap back then...

1 hour ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Damn, I think I sold my copy back in the days for 10€... Being a poor student and a gamer was a bad combination, I've sold quite some valuable stuff for dirt cheap back then...

Damn... that sucks... DS game prices are on the rise now in general too... (especially seen as how the market is now absolutely flooded with bootlegs)

Sega Lord X  with a video on Sega Mega Drive movie tie-in games with some really interesting examples as well as plenty of travesties.

I now know for sure which film games will be staying in my collection and which ones won't when I get around to going through my Mega Drive games.

I've played quite a few of these back in the day and some of them didn't seem as bad back then but looking at them now... it's like seeing them again with a fresh perspective.

• Thanks 1

Last Gamer with a video on Games to play on Halloween which has some good pics in there. :smile:

I'm generally not too fussed with absolutely playing something themed on Halloween but it is nice to sometimes. :D

This year it will be Luigi's Mansion 3 but then it kind of has to be. :p

Interesting... I still have my copy of Portrait of Ruin. Wasn't a big fan of it but for some reason I want to hold on to it but those prices are tempting...

Anyway, bought a Dreamcast PACKAPUNCH cable. Ordered yesterday and arrived today, amazing service from retogamingcables.

Played a bit of PSOv2. Forgot about the whole "save is tied to your console" thing. Played through Ultimate Forest and beat the Dragon No red drops though sadly.

y4m1QfpFLZLyNrc1ePq4PEZcdIc5oWjLyAJSz-7u

• Like 2

Yes @Ike that's what I'm talking about! :D

I've got the Dreamcast Packapunch cable from Retro Gaming Cables as well, got the scart which works with the Frameister and it works a treat. :)

It makes PSO look pretty sharp and that's on the Dreamcast version, they changed a lot of the overall look and textures for PSO Ep I & II on the GC and for Blue Burst on the PC.

The menus on the Dreamcast version seemed lightning quick though, didn't they seem that way to you? Just reminds me how well the original game ran on the original console.

Really liking your HUcast character there "E106" ver3 is a cool name, Sonic Adventure inspired I take it? ;)

That reminds me, I have a RAcaseal called Azel on the GC version and because of the character limit on the PC version I called my character on there Edge.

Got to love a good Sega inspired name for a PSO character, I'm pretty sure I have a FOnewearl called NiGHTS as well. :smile:

I really could talk about PSO indefinitely, it's still one of my favourite games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Yes @Ike that's what I'm talking about! :D

I've got the Dreamcast Packapunch cable from Retro Gaming Cables as well, got the scart which works with the Frameister and it works a treat. :)

It makes PSO look pretty sharp and that's on the Dreamcast version, they changed a lot of the overall look and textures for PSO Ep I & II on the GC and for Blue Burst on the PC.

Oh? I didn't know they had changed textures, I don't like the Sonic Adventure DX versions due to the changed models and textures.

I'm running it through the Framemeister as well but I noticed there's some horizontal lines, you can see it in my photo near the top of where it says "TP" in the top left. Not sure if the Framemeister settings need tweaking or if it was meant to hidden by scanlines from CRT TVs or it's just part of the game. ::shrug: Didn't really notice anything in Sonic Adventure. The games do look super sharp though, really happy with the cable/Framemeister combo.

The menus on the Dreamcast version seemed lightning quick though, didn't they seem that way to you? Just reminds me how well the original game ran on the original console.

Really liking your HUcast character there "E106" ver3 is a cool name, Sonic Adventure inspired I take it? ;)

That reminds me, I have a RAcaseal called Azel on the GC version and because of the character limit on the PC version I called my character on there Edge.

Got to love a good Sega inspired name for a PSO character, I'm pretty sure I have a FOnewearl called NiGHTS as well. :smile:

I really could talk about PSO indefinitely, it's still one of my favourite games.

Yeah, they are instant. Loading times aren't that bad either. Not used to having the confirm/A button of the Dreamcast being on the bottom anymore though.

I was very original with names back then. Then SEGA used the same name when they introduced Omega. :laughing: Can't remember why this one was called Ver 3 though. "Ver 1" would have been from the original PSO. Then again, you saw a lot of "SSJ x"s and Clouds Online.

Ultimate mode was totally unbalanced after Forest, you had to use hacked weapons to be able to do any damage.

• Like 1

Sega Lord X  with a new video titled Sega Ages Shinobi First Look which really shows off what M2 have done with their latest port to the Switch. :D

I can't wait for this one, I tend to wait for a lot of the Sega Ages releases to go on sale but when a title like this comes out, it's hard to justify not buying it when it comes out. :)

I do have the Arcade version of Shinobi on the Wii VC but... this looks as good as that version if not better and with even more refinements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I might start a new collection of bluetooth retro controllers to use with emulators/retro systems. Would be nice to be able to use the proper controllers instead of mostly Xbox pads. I've already got Snes and Megadrive pads so that's ok. Probably Saturn next. I did look at the Retrobit N64 ones but they're the wrong shape.

• Thanks 1

Sega Lord X with a video titled Saturn vs. Playstation Round 2 - X-Men Children of the Atom which is a really interesting comparison between the two versions.

I've had this game in my Saturn collection for a little while but it's one I need to check out in more detail at some point I reckon as it looks fantastic for a 2D fighter of its era. :D

• Thanks 1

@S.C.G @Hero-of-Time

So for those who haven't been keeping up with Hidden Palace/The Cutting Room Floor's Sonic Month; we've gotten some fascinating stuff out of it!

First off, we have SEVERAL new prototypes of Sonic CD!

A whopping 7 months before launch! (Shout outs to Salad Plain and the brand new discovery of Redbook audio versions of Past music!)

4 months before launch

3 months before launch

2 months before launch (This one is pretty close to final; as they would've started manufacturing in advance of its release - but it has unique title music amongst other changes)

Fascinating to see how the game developed over time! Looks like they really struggled with the SEGA CD hardware itself as you can clearly see that the game ran very poorly in its prototype state; lots of changes and alterations throughout development too.

Next up, we got treated to an unreleased tech demo from SEGA's shortlived Multimedia studio...

Bizzaro stuff

Following this was a set of prototypes of Sonic Chaos for the Game Gear/Master System...

5 months before launch

4 months before launch

3 months before launch

Next up is two new prototypes of Sonic 2.  Now these aren't the earliest ones in existence (the earliest known one would be the Nick Arcade prototype that has been floating around for some years now), but these ones come from about 3 months before release and really show how SEGA were absolutely scrambling to get Sonic 2 put together!

1 month before the final build! (Game is in a state!)

11 days before the final build! (Game is STILL in a state!!!! The Special Stages still aren't implemented!!)

It's really shocking just how utterly last minute and to-the-wire Sonic 2's development really was! Its development was such a mess! And I think it does show in the final product.

Now, they saved the best for last... Presenting...

3 months before the release of Sonic 3 standalone (11 months before the release of Sonic & Knuckles!)

This proto is bonkers! It's SO rough and unfinished! I'm sure this prototype comes from a point after they decided to split up Sonic 3 into two games, because the Sonic 3 stages are significantly more complete than those found in Sonic & Knuckles (of which Flying Battery and Lava Reef are still in here in a basic state).  But you can really see how there was absolutely no way they could ever have hoped to release it as a single cartridge back at that point.

There are far too many differences to cover, as everything is really rough and unfinished, but do you know what's really wild?

THIS PROTO HAS THE DROP DASH FROM SONIC MANIA!!!

Yes! the Drop Dash actually originated from Sonic 3! It was dropped in favour of the Instashield (which is not yet implemented here), but yes! It originally was planned for Sonic 3!

What's also wild?

THIS PROTO HAS THE 1997 PC MUSIC INSTEAD OF THE MJ TUNES FOR ICE CAP/CARNIVAL NIGHT/LAUNCH BASE!!!

The mystery has finally been solved! The PC music was the original Sonic 3 music all along! This definitely puts the whole MJ story in a different light now!

Anyway, if you can only watch one of these proto vids? Make it the Sonic 3 one! It's just wild!

Hidden Palace made some incredible discoveries here! It's just so interesting to see how the classic Sonic games developed; especially as how we never really get to see how the classics of the 8 and 16bit eras were made! It's so incredible to see just how much gets done right at the last moment before the deadline! :o 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 3

Crunch time must've been pretty bad, Sonic 2 doesn't even have its opening animation, unless it just wasn't in that build.

The original music in Sonic 3 sucks. :heh:

• Thanks 2

Sega Lord X with a video titled 10 Times Sega Got It very Right

Also...

Another video... 25 Years of the Sega Saturn

Both well worth a watch, especially if you remember a lot of these moments in Sega's history from back in the day. :D

Man, I have to assume they already knew MJ would be doing the music for those three stages, and those were just crappy placeholders. Those tunes got nothing on the rest of the soundtrack.

Anyway, I thought the following interview should be interesting for the folks around here:

EDIT: I just noticed GameXplain has a few other recent interviews with DKC staff (for example, there's one with David Wise), as well

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 3

If I see a good discount then I think I might get the Mega Drive mini after all. I still prefer using my actual collection to play the games on the Mega SG but it occured to me that the mini might be nice to leave downstairs tonuse on the living room tv. Amazon even have the Asia region version available (just for £35 more so we'll see if I bother with that)

On 11/22/2019 at 12:05 AM, Jonnas said:

Man, I have to assume they already knew MJ would be doing the music for those three stages, and those were just crappy placeholders. Those tunes got nothing on the rest of the soundtrack.

Anyway, I thought the following interview should be interesting for the folks around here:

EDIT: I just noticed GameXplain has a few other recent interviews with DKC staff (for example, there's one with David Wise), as well

Brilliant stuff! Shesez also did an interview with these folks as well...

Fantastic watch/listen! Some great stuff in here for any fan of 90s Rare! :D 

• Thanks 2

This is absolutely insane!

Someone has managed to create a remake of Super Mario Land, in the style of NSMBDS... on a SNES!

What's even more amazing? IT HAS SIMULTANEOUS 4 PLAYER CO-OP!! ON A SNES!!! (A STOCK SNES I might add! No enhancement chips at all!)

This is real homebrew, runs on real SNES hardware, and it is an utterly monumental achievement! (Just one guy made this!!!) It even has the enemies dancing on the BAH BAH like in the real NSMB games!

Insane!!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Goafer I know you love the game as much as me so I figured I would give you a heads up just in case you are interested. The Sega UK store are selling the Skies of Arcadia soundtrack boxset.

https://www.segashop.co.uk/collections/new-carousel/products/official-skies-of-arcadia-original-soundtrack-cd

It looks lovely and i've just ordered myself a copy. They also have the vinyl if you're into that.

https://www.segashop.co.uk/collections/all/products/official-skies-of-arcadia-original-soundtrack-vinyl?_pos=2&_sid=efd927cb2&_ss=r

Edited by Hero-of-Time

That's a good find @Hero-of-Time I just ordered a copy myself, I probably shouldn't have but I know I'll listen to it a lot so what the heck. :D

An extra heads-up as there are only 4 copies left now... I've no idea if they restock or make more after this, I'd assume they would but who knows. ::shrug:

• Like 1