NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

I would be very interested in a Game Boy clone with full compatibility. I've often thought about picking up a Bitboy or something similar but they just look too cheap and nasty. An FPGA based Game Boy with a decent capacity rechargeable battery would definitely be something I would pick up. 

Edited by killthenet
  • Thanks 1

Analogue are making more consoles?

... :blank:

I thought I had enough consoles, now I realise that this might potentially not be true if Analogue are making a portable and a re-release of the NT mini.

Nope, the solution is obvious... I need to make some money. :indeed:

The videogame clearout continues! :peace:

- - - - -

By the way, if anyone is after any retro games in particular let me know as I am going through my collection at the moment, obviously I'm not getting rid of all my games but I am taking a serious look at all the PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Xbox, and PS1 games I have and deciding whether I really want to keep them or not.

I'm just about done with the PS2 games and some of the Xbox 360 & PS4 games but there's still a fair few to go through.

Saw a copy of Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo in CEX for £25. For that price, I was expecting it to be a bit ropey and not have a manual. Not only did it have the manual, it was all pretty much mint. Splendid.

?size=l

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A good video from DF Retro on N64 HDMI Video Options  featuring My Life in Gaming  which covers all the info you'd need if this is something you're considering.

I'll be sticking with a modified RGB N64 for the forseeable future but it's nice to know that there are other options out there, albeit rather expensive.

Plus we can't rule out the future possibility of an FPGA N64 one day which would likely blow everything out of the water.

• Thanks 1

My Life in Gaming have released the next video looking at the Sega Ages 2500  range of games, this time featuring  Vol. 6 - 10 and there are some interesting titles in there. :smile:

@RedShell might find the lesser-known sequel to Bonanza Brothers interesting as it's clearly the inspiration for the Wario Ware series at least in some form. :peace:

• Thanks 1

Happy Console Gamer definitely knows where it's at when it comes to Top Ten GameCube Games  :D spoiler, none of the games in the thumbnail made it in.

What is in there though is easily one of my favourite games on the console which sadly didn't make it into our Top Ten GC Games but at least balance is restored here. ;)

In fairness, it was a very good Top Ten list we came up with collectively but damn... I would have dropped Donkey Konga in a heartbeat in favour of Phantasy Star Online. :grin:

9 hours ago, S.C.G said:

@RedShell might find the lesser-known sequel to Bonanza Brothers interesting as it's clearly the inspiration for the Wario Ware series at least in some form. :peace:

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, that was very interesting indeed! :cool: I wasn't familiar with Tant-R before now, but having seen it in that video (and some others on YouTube) there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that it heavily inspired WarioWare. Hell, some of the games are pretty much a direct copy! :D

I'd love to play that at some point. Would be great if it made it to Switch as part of the Sega Ages series. :)

• Thanks 1

Sega Lord X  with a video on Top 1n Video Game Systems (Non Sega)  with some solid choices of hardware and software in there. :D

On 01/08/2019 at 3:20 PM, S.C.G said:

A nice video from Madlittlepixel comparing the GBA consolizer to the Game Boy Interface over HDMI.

This just further reminds me that I need to get my GC set up with the Game Boy Interface either over component or HDMI.

What's worse is that I have all the stuff needed to get it all running, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

What are you using to run the GameBoy Interface? I came across this: https://www.codejunkies.com/Products/SD-Media-Launcher__EF000580V.aspx

1 minute ago, Ike said:

What are you using to run the GameBoy Interface? I came across this: https://www.codejunkies.com/Products/SD-Media-Launcher__EF000580V.aspx

Oh I got the original release of the SD Media launcher, before they started producing the more modern version on that website in the link, I don't think there's any real difference though.

I mean, the original release is probably harder to find now but that's about it, I also got it so that I could potentially back up saves that aren't usually able to be copied like PSO.

Then I found out about the GameBoy Interface and I thought... ah I can use that! But to date I haven't actually set up either program on it yet and I really should.

On 13/08/2019 at 11:59 PM, Ike said:

That’s what I use; works perfectly fine on my cube (bare in mind that it’s a US region disc, so you’ll need either a Freeloader or a US region Cube to use it).

BTW: Here’s something Epic games are doing that actually won’t make you angry for a change!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/epic_games_opens_new_studio_with_factor_5_founders_at_the_helm

They’re starting a new German studio with the former heads of Factor 5! Factor 5 is coming back! :D

On 02/08/2019 at 12:46 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I've been in a PSO mood ever since the reveal at E3 that the 2nd game was heading over to the West...at least the US. I figured it was about to try out Phantasy Star Portable on the PSP. Out of the three games I think this is the one i'm going to start playing first.

EAfXSTWWsAErHZU?format=jpg&name=small

I also made a couple of other purchases but they haven't arrived yet and i've got my eye on a couple more which end this weekend/early next week. One of them ended last night but I was unable to put a bid in due to having to drive to London and back for work. Luckily when I got home I seen that nobody put a bid in and the item has been relisted so i'll have another chance to win it. :yay:

Honestly, the PSP games were better than PSU. Still mad we didn't get a localised PSP2 Infinity.

On 12/08/2019 at 2:37 AM, S.C.G said:

Happy Console Gamer definitely knows where it's at when it comes to Top Ten GameCube Games  :D spoiler, none of the games in the thumbnail made it in.

What is in there though is easily one of my favourite games on the console which sadly didn't make it into our Top Ten GC Games but at least balance is restored here. ;)

In fairness, it was a very good Top Ten list we came up with collectively but damn... I would have dropped Donkey Konga in a heartbeat in favour of Phantasy Star Online. :grin:

I like that his top 10's are more personal rather then just listing popular games/

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

That’s what I use; works perfectly fine on my cube (bare in mind that it’s a US region disc, so you’ll need either a Freeloader or a US region Cube to use it).

Ah, cool. I'll order one soon then. They list a Euro version on the site, but I do have a Freeloader. Honestly I was surprised Codejunkies/Datel were still around.

• Thanks 1

Oh yeah, one other little thing.  Bare in mind that the SD Loading software will only boot from a 2GB SD Card.  You can use a 4GB one after you boot into Swiss, but you can only boot it with a 2GB SD Card; so make sure you have one handy!

GBInterface is pretty cool; some real nifty features, and the image quality is much better than the GB Player!

There's some really cool game hacks and randomisers you can use the SD Loader for as well!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Happy Console Gamer with a review of Grandia HD Collection for the Switch.

It was really nice to listen to someone who remembers playing the games back in the day, got to meet some of the people involved with the game and who seems to have the same level of enthusiasm for the series (if not more so) twenty years on and is just as excited to play them all over again. :D

I must confess... I do own the Grandia games in their original form and I have yet to play them but if this was to get a physical copy on the Switch then I'd buy it instantly. :smile:

As it stands? I really don't want to buy it digitially as I'd view it as a missed chance for a physical version which I'm sure will happen.

Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed in Jonny making that Grandia video. By all accounts reviewers didn't get codes for the game until pretty much launch day, which is why there were no reviews kicking about for the game and only impressions. Coupled with the fact that Jonny has a job, and how fast he put together and released the video, there's simply no way he completed or even put a significant amount of time into one of the games, never mind both of them.

It's not really a review of the collection at all but more a nostalgia video about why he likes the original game. I mean he doesn't explain the battle system, story or even things like the audio issues that this version has. 

I'm pretty sad that he's done this video (probably for clicks) as I didn't think he was that type of YouTuber. Shame. :( 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed in Jonny making that Grandia video. By all accounts reviewers didn't get codes for the game until pretty much launch day, which is why there were no reviews kicking about for the game and only impressions. Coupled with the fact that Jonny has a job, and how fast he put together and released the video, there's simply no way he completed or even put a significant amount of time into one of the games, never mind both of them.

It's not really a review of the collection at all but more a nostalgia video about why he likes the original game. I mean he doesn't explain the battle system, story or even things like the audio issues that this version has. 

I'm pretty sad that he's done this video (probably for clicks) as I didn't think he was that type of YouTuber. Shame. :( 

Yeah, on reflection, I din't really think it was much of a review, I just found it interesting hearing about how he got into the games originally, especially as I'm not that familiar with his channel as I only started watching his videos a few months ago, plus the fact that I've never played either of the Grandia games.

But this latest HD Collection seems to be the way to experience both of them surely? So I guess I'll wait for that physical copy.

2 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Yeah, on reflection, I din't really think it was much of a review, I just found it interesting hearing about how he got into the games originally, especially as I'm not that familiar with his channel as I only started watching his videos a few months ago, plus the fact that I've never played either of the Grandia games.

But this latest HD Collection seems to be the way to experience both of them surely? So I guess I'll wait for that physical copy.

It's hard to say. I've been reading impressions from those who are playing it and many don't like the filter that they've used on the characters and there seems to be audio issues on the first game. Nothing major but it may be noticable.

In terms of the best version, the general consensus is that the Saturn version is still the king. I was reading that the fan translation is nearly done and you can play all of the first disc and most of the second. Too much of a faff on for me but I appreciate the effort that's gone into it.

I think if you just want to experience the games without digging out any old consoles then the HD collection seems fine for what it sets out to do. I mean, people said that the PS4 version of Symphony of the Night had issues but I didn't notice a single thing wrong with it when I played it. I suppose it depends how sensitive you are to such things.

Sadly, you may be waiting a while for a retail version, if one even comes out at all. They were asked about making a physical copy of the game and said they have zero plans for it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's hard to say. I've been reading impressions from those who are playing it and many don't like the filter that they've used on the characters and there seems to be audio issues on the first game. Nothing major but it may be noticable.

In terms of the best version, the general consensus is that the Saturn version is still the king. I was reading that the fan translation is nearly done and you can play all of the first disc and most of the second. Too much of a faff on for me but I appreciate the effort that's gone into it.

I think if you just want to experience the games without digging out any old consoles then the HD collection seems fine for what it sets out to do. I mean, people said that the PS4 version of Symphony of the Night had issues but I didn't notice a single thing wrong with it when I played it. I suppose it depends how sensitive you are to such things.

Sadly, you may be waiting a while for a retail version, if one even comes out at all. They were asked about making a physical copy of the game and said they have zero plans for it.

OK, so I'm reading that as...

Even though it's a serviceable collection, it's not perfect, there will be no physical version because it's being done on the cheap and so it's a missed opportunity.

I'll just play the original on the PS1 and the second game on either the PS2 or the Dreamcast. :D

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Dreamcast version is supposed to be the best out of the two of them.

OK, I just did a quick search and, it turns out I bought my copy of Grandia II on the Dreamcast just over three and a half years ago for a quite reasonable £29...

The PS2 copy I bought originally came from a car boot sale a few years back for probably a couple of quid...

And I have a Steam receipt for £7.49 which I bought the PC version for a few years back as well...

I feel more than a little guilty that I haven't played it now and I really have no excuse. :blush:

I'll make time for it... this year at some point hopefully, afterall I can't be buying for and/or assuming that every great game is coming out on the Switch. :p

I've got to appreciate my retro games collection a lot more than I have been recently, this year and next year, less new games will be bought and more classics will be played. :peace:

I didn’t get more than a few hours into Grandia. Can’t remember what it was but I know I didn’t like something about it.

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I didn’t get more than a few hours into Grandia. Can’t remember what it was but I know I didn’t like something about it.

Yeah, I'm the same. I've tried a couple of times over the years to get into it but it just didn't click with me. I think it was the leveling up system or the learning of moves that didn't sit right with me.