NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

I can't believe the Mega SG is almost here, just as well that I've been sorting out my Sega Shelf today.

Not quite sorted yet but almost there, it will be nice to just be able to pick a game off the shelf and play it in the best quality possible. :D

Even though I was intending to connect the Mega CD II to it, I may well just use it standalone just so that I can appreciate all of the Mega Drive games first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just discussing this on Era, what console do you guys want Analogue to work on next?

SNES and Mega Drive were the big two I was interested in so I'm not really sure myself if I would buy anymore after this. If I did though it might be for something a bit more obscure like the 3DO or TurboGrafx.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Just discussing this on Era, what console do you guys want Analogue to work on next?

SNES and Mega Drive were the big two I was interested in so I'm not really sure myself if I would buy anymore after this. If I did though it might be for something a bit more obscure like the 3DO or TurboGrafx.

Easy...

N64 - works exactly like the original system except it has the Expansion Pak built-in and toggleable (for those few games with varying framerates and display resolutions) plus HDMI.

If you want a HDMI modded N64 at the moment, you're talking around the same amount as an Analogue system nearly to get it ready fitted.

Any extra features would be a bonus, you could use original controllers with it plus some of the excellent newly made pads by Retro Fighters etc.

Must be compatible with all main cartridges and the EverDrive 64 obviously but that shouldn't be a problem.

Until then, I still with my cheap and cheerful RGB modded N64 with newly made RGB scart cable which works really nicely. :D

Yeah one of the reasons I didn't say N64 (other than it being a murky foggy console :p ) is that apparently Kevtris has been quoted as saying that it's too difficult to produce the same results for the 64 so we won't be seeing it anytime soon.

By the way @Happenstance do you still need Castle of Illusion? After going through ALL of my MegaDrive games, turns out that's the only double I now have, that's on your list.

PM me your address if so and it's yours for postage or whatever you want to pay for it that's fair, it's complete and in good condition, let me know if you want to see a pic. :peace:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

By the way @Happenstance do you still need Castle of Illusion? After going through ALL of my MegaDrive games, turns out that's the only double I now have, that's on your list.

PM me your address if so and it's yours for postage or whatever you want to pay for it that's fair, it's complete and in good condition, let me know if you want to see a pic. :peace:

Oh that would be great thanks. Moving to PM.

Question for you all. How do you pronounce Ristar? I've always pronounced it R eye star but I just heard someone on Youtube pronounce it R is star and now it's making me wonder.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Question for you all. How do you pronounce Ristar? I've always pronounced it R eye star but I just heard someone on Youtube pronounce it R is star and now it's making me wonder.

R-is-star is how I've always pronounced it.

also, PM'ed. :D

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Ah, so you also pronounce it wrong :p

Yep! :p

And it's too late for me to un-learn now as I've been saying it that way for over two decades. :laughing:

Cracking game though. :D

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Ris-tar. I sorta blend the s (or like wrist-ar, I guess?).

• Thanks 1

Wrist-ar 4 lyfe!

Why would it be R-eye-star anyway? His name isn't spelt "Rystar"! :p 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 3:00 PM, killthenet said:

I've been sorting through things in my parents loft and among a bunch of old Lego and other ephemera I found a Rocket Knight Adventures pin badge. Neither me or my brothers ever owned any Sega console growing up so it was bizarre to see a piece of merch from a relatively obscure Sega game, any ideas where it might have come from? The only thing I can really think of is that it might have been given away with one of the Sonic the Hedgehog comics, we had a few issues of that back in the day and they're about the only Sega thing I can remember us ever getting. 

EDIT: I've copied in a picture I found on the internet of one, in case it jogs anyones memory.

Sega-Genesis-SPARKSTER-Rocket-Knight-Adv

Yeah, I think I had that, and the only publications I bought around the time of that game were Sonic the Comic and Mean Machines Sega.

• Thanks 2

Oops. Forgot I put a bid on a copy of The Story of Thor and just won it. It was a pretty low bid compared to what the buy it nows are going for and it doesn't have a manual so its possibly a repro cart but hard to tell if I was just lucky or other bidders noticed something I didn't. Either way though, nice surprise to get it cheaper.

EDIT: Well a lot of his other sales seem to come with manuals so I'm inclined to believe that I just got lucky.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Thanks 2

The hype level is rising. :D

Been watching some Castlevania New Beginning videos as I’m researching all my Mega Drive stuff and it made me think about all the other Castlevania games. I’m surprised we haven’t seen a big collection of them, kind of like the recent Mega Man ones. 

51 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Been watching some Castlevania New Beginning videos as I’m researching all my Mega Drive stuff and it made me think about all the other Castlevania games. I’m surprised we haven’t seen a big collection of them, kind of like the recent Mega Man ones. 

A collection has been rated recently, it just hasn't been announced which platforms or which games, exciting stuff though. :D

I have Castlevania: The New Generation and it's the one game I really can't wait to play on my Mega SG when it arrives. :peace:

6 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

A collection has been rated recently, it just hasn't been announced which platforms or which games, exciting stuff though. :D

I have Castlevania: The New Generation and it's the one game I really can't wait to play on my Mega SG when it arrives. :peace:

I’ll bet it’s coming to the new Sega console that’s being announced at E3 this year.

• Haha 1

Couple more of my games arrived from CEX. Captain America & The Avengers is the Genesis version and not the Mega Drive one. It’s tempting to email and complain but I don’t necessarily want them to ask me to send it back.

15 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Couple more of my games arrived from CEX. Captain America & The Avengers is the Genesis version and not the Mega Drive one. It’s tempting to email and complain but I don’t necessarily want them to ask me to send it back.

I've had CEX send me a composite cable instead of a component cable for the PS2 before, quite the price difference too so I did send it back.

When they get it right, they are great but when they mess up or deliberately sell you something incomplete etc, they can be pretty bad.

I'm only using them with caution at the moment, especially since I spent all of my vouchers with them.

I had a Mega Drive game sent in the post to me today, in an opened case, so that it would go large letter! :blank:

This was from a big seller as well and for a mid-price game too, fortunately there wasn't too much damage but still. ::shrug:

The case has to be bent back for it to go large letter and then the game isn't properly protected, I left feedback but wasn't pleased.

Anyway, worse things happen... I know, it just annoyed me but I'm lucky to have all the Mega Drive games I have so there's that.

Hopefully you'll find the game I sent you will reach you in excellent condition, it definitely should for all the bubble wrap I used. :D

I got Jungle Strike today, not the rarest of titles,  I thought I had it, turns out I didn't, so now I have the original Strike Trilogy again. :smile:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

I gave this a watch last night. Great watch, as always. The time and effort these guys put into their videos is much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

Replacement box arrived for Comix Zone today.

QKM5Gn6.jpg

I'm happy enough with the quality that I think I'll order some more from the same guy. Need to get boxes for:

Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage
Mickey Mania
Sonic 3
Aladdin

Then I also need to figure out what to do about Sonic & Knuckles

Also the copy of Castle of Illusion arrived from @S.C.G so thanks again for that!

• Like 1