NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

@Happenstance this should be something to look forward to when the Mega SG launches in a few months. :D (not that there were any further reasons needed)

It's going to be pre-loaded onto every Mega SG console, just like Super Turrican and Super Turrican 2 were on the Analogue Super NT. :peace:

I'm really glad to see that this game which could just have easily become lost to time, is now being rightfully preserved at least in some playable form.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, S.C.G said:

@Happenstance this should be something to look forward to when the Mega SG launches in a few months. :D (not that there were any further reasons needed)

It's going to be pre-loaded onto every Mega SG console, just like Super Turrican and Super Turrican 2 were on the Analogue Super NT. :peace:

I'm really glad to see that this game which could just have easily become lost to time, is now being rightfully preserved at least in some playable form.

Yeah I saw the announcement the other day. Glad to see they are carrying on showcasing unreleased games.

Really looking forward to my Mega SG arriving. It’s been a while since I last spent some time going through my Mega Drive collection.

• Thanks 1

Nintendolife reviewed Retro-Bit Sega Saturn controllers that will be releasing soon.

HERE

This part of the review is what I was interested in...

First things first, the rolling D-Pad on both pads is utterly, utterly superb. It's responsive and comfortable to use and is arguably the dream interface for games like Street Fighter. Because it rolls smoothly, executing those quarter and half-circle inputs is a breeze. This is perhaps one of the hardest aspects of a controller to properly nail, and Retro-Bit has passed with flying colours.

The Saturn had one of the best d-pads out of any controller and i'm happy to see they've been able to replicate that with this product.

This popped up over on Era.

Retro-Bit, 5 hours ago
We will be releasing Genesis/Saturn USB controllers that are compatible with the Switch in the coming months. :)

We may finally get an amazing d-pad for the Switch!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking about retro games in general and how some 8-16 bit era games are highly collectable or valuable. It extends a bit into the 32-64 bit era, but I really can't imagine PS2 and beyond games ever being collectable. I just can't picture thinking "Oh shit, that PS3 game is worth loads!".

Is it because gaming was way more mainstream by the PS3 sort of era? Has high production volumes and endless remakes/remasters made modern games more disposable and prevented these generations from becoming collectable? Or am I just struggling to imagine it because they're too recent? Maybe I'm just comparing it to the Saturn, where almost everything is stupidly expensive due to the failure of the console/low production of the games.

Just now, Goafer said:

I was thinking about retro games in general and how some 8-16 bit era games are highly collectable or valuable. It extends a bit into the 32-64 bit era, but I really can't imagine PS2 and beyond games ever being collectable. I just can't picture thinking "Oh shit, that PS3 game is worth loads!".

Is it because gaming was way more mainstream by the PS3 sort of era? Has high production volumes and endless remakes/remasters made modern games more disposable and prevented these generations from becoming collectable? Or am I just struggling to imagine it because they're too recent? Maybe I'm just comparing it to the Saturn, where almost everything is stupidly expensive due to the failure of the console/low production of the games.

I think you're right in that it does come down to production volumes. For example, on the N64 games like Turok 3, Paper Mario, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Mario Party 3 are all pretty expensive due to them being released near the end of the consoles lifespan and how little were manufactured. Games from the Saturn era, like Deep Fear, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3 all suffer from the same thing. 

There are a few PS2/Gamecube games that are worth a pretty penny. Rule of Rose of the PS2 goes for a stupid amount of cash these days and games on the Gamecube, like Gotcha Force or Cubivore, also command a high price.

• Thanks 1

On 28/02/2019 at 9:52 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Nintendolife reviewed Retro-Bit Sega Saturn controllers that will be releasing soon.

HERE

This part of the review is what I was interested in...

The Saturn had one of the best d-pads out of any controller and i'm happy to see they've been able to replicate that with this product.

This popped up over on Era.

We may finally get an amazing d-pad for the Switch!

Glad to hear it's getting good reviews, good have gone either way. I've got a Saturn pad preordered but might get a USB one it it turns out true.

The 8Bitdo M3 Mega Drive pad it getting good reviews so might snag another one for use with the Switch, that one also seems to have a good D-pad.

Just now, Ike said:

The 8Bitdo M3 Mega Drive pad it getting good reviews so might snag another one for use with the Switch, that one also seems to have a good D-pad.

Glad to hear that's getting good reviews as well. Got one preordered for my Mega SG.

QdbWkV9.jpg

Love it. Feels great and making me very nostalgic. Need the Mega SG to hurry up and get here now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got mine as well, only got a chance to use it or a minute or two so here's some quick impressions: a pirate with an eye patch: "arr"

• Feels a little plastic-y - but not cheap
  • Light
  • Feels comfy from what I played
  • Buttons feel great (the "home" "screenshot" etc a bit less so but they don't get used as much so it's a minor thing)
  • Not tested d-pad fully but seems good from my initial test

This model also works on Windows PC and Switch when wired, although the button mapping feels a little weird (B is A for example) but that's kinda expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Happenstance said:

QdbWkV9.jpg

Love it. Feels great and making me very nostalgic. Need the Mega SG to hurry up and get here now!

Lovely shot.

When is your Mega SG arriving?

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Lovely shot.

When is your Mega SG arriving?

It just says April 2019. Hoping it will be earlier in April rather than later.

I’ll probably start keeping an eye on eBay again soon, see if I can fill some gaps in my Mega Drive collection like I did with the SNES.

Does anyone remember which Shinobi games were on any of the Mega Games cart collections and which weren’t? I was just looking at getting Revenge of Shinobi but I couldn’t remember if that one came with any or if that was a different Shinobi game.

8 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Does anyone remember which Shinobi games were on any of the Mega Games cart collections and which weren’t? I was just looking at getting Revenge of Shinobi but I couldn’t remember if that one came with any or if that was a different Shinobi game.

You talking about these collections?

800px-Megagamesi_md_eu_cover.jpg

And the great thing about The Revenge of Shinobi is, if you get an early enough version from 1989 to around 1990 I think you'll get the original bosses.

There the ones based on various superheroes and films but they had to change them in later versions. ;)

It's still a cool game either way, I went for the original release on its own recently as I wanted all the main Shinobi games ready for when the Mega SG comes out.

I also have the Mega CD version which is on the Sega Collection, that's the one I remember playing back in the day. :D

Yeah my original version as a kid had the special bosses. Would be nice to get that version again.

Will you be looking to pick up any Master System games as well, @Happenstance? There are quite a few MS games I wouldn't mind finally playing, such as Deep Duck Trouble, Golden Axe Warrior, The Lucky Dime Caper, Asterix and Land of Illusion.

24 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Will you be looking to pick up any Master System games as well, @Happenstance? There are quite a few MS games I wouldn't mind finally playing, such as Deep Duck Trouble, Golden Axe Warrior, The Lucky Dime Caper, Asterix and Land of Illusion.

I probably should as its a system that I've just never really touched but I'm kind of more tempted at the moment to finally buy a Mega CD.

I need to make a list of stuff I want soon so when I go to that retro games market with @Goafer I'm prepared.

Made my list for Mega Drive games to keep an eye out for. I'll probably add more to it as I think of them. I just used a top 100 list to help either remember games or find ones that I hadn't seen before:

Adventures of Batman & Robin
Air Buster
Alien Soldier
Alisia Dragoon
Batman
Bio Hazard Battle
Castle of Illusion
Comix Zone
Crusader of Centy
Desert Strike
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Ecco the Dolphin
Empire of Steel
Flashback
General Chaos
Ghouls n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Golden Axe 2
Gunstar Heroes
Herzog Zwei
Jungle Strike
Landstalker
Mega Bomberman
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Out of this World
Phantasy Star IV
Pirates Gold!
Ranger X
Revenge of Shinobi
Road Rash
Road Rash 2
Road Rash 3
Rocket Knight Adventures
Rolling Thunder 2
Shadow Dancer
Shadowrun
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shinobi III
Starflight
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Target Earth
Thunder Force 3
Toejam & Earl
True Lies
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Valis III
X-Men 2: Clone Wars
Ys III
Zero Wing

I've crossed Comix Zone off the list already as I just won a copy on eBay.

• Like 2

Nice list @Happenstance it seems we have mostly similar taste when it comes to MegaDrive games. :D

I'm going to go through and highlight the games from that list I definitely have , probably have and don't have...

Adventures of Batman & Robin
Air Buster
Alien Soldier
Alisia Dragoon
Batman
Bio Hazard Battle
Castle of Illusion
Comix Zone
Crusader of Centy
Desert Strike
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2

Ecco the Dolphin
Empire of Steel
Flashback

General Chaos
Ghouls n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Golden Axe 2

Gunstar Heroes
Herzog Zwei
Jungle Strike
Landstalker
Mega Bomberman
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

Out of this World
Phantasy Star IV
Pirates Gold!
Ranger X
Revenge of Shinobi
Road Rash
Road Rash 2
Road Rash 3
Rocket Knight Adventures

Rolling Thunder 2
Shadow Dancer
Shadowrun
Shining Force
Shining Force 2

Shinobi III
Starflight
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3

Target Earth
Thunder Force 3
Toejam & Earl
True Lies
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Valis III
X-Men 2: Clone Wars
Ys III

Zero Wing

I thought it would be useful to keep track as then if I find that I do have a game that you want when I'm next sorting stuff and it's one I didn't know I had or don't want then I could add it to the trade pile, there is always the chance that I may well have some doubles as well so I will try to have a look for you soon as I have some time off coming up. :peace:

Oh and Alien Soldier is part green and part blue because... I lost out on a genuine copy years ago (eBay scam) so... I now have a copy which I think the cart is a repro but I also think the box is genuine and either way there is no manual but now that the price has gone sky high, I've resigned myself to the fact that my half copy will have to do. ::shrug:

I'm pretty lucky to even have the genuine box, I should really look into that to see as it was a while ago that I got it.

• Like 1

Just counting through that list and 19 of the games on there I owned as a kid. Selling all my Mega Drive stuff is still my biggest gaming regret.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Just counting through that list and 19 of the games on there I owned as a kid. Selling all my Mega Drive stuff is still my biggest gaming regret.

At least it's relatively cheap to replace a lot of MD games. Just be thankful you aren't trying to create a Sega Saturn collection. 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

At least it's relatively cheap to replace a lot of MD games. Just be thankful you aren't trying to create a Sega Saturn collection. 

It’s things like Aventures of Batman & Robin and X-Men 2 that annoy me, being worth more now.

Yeah I’m glad I’m not trying to collect Saturn stuff. Don’t know what kind of chump would try that...