NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

As I’m planning on reducing my retro collection to just the SNES and Mega Drive to make it much more manageable and focused I’m planning on getting rid of a lot of my other consoles. This is going to include the Panasonic Q. I thought I would check here first in case any of you guys were interested as I’d be happy to do you lot a better deal.

Well, it is sad to hear that you're reducing down your collection that drastically but... it is your collection so of course I respect that and I understand as I've been taking stock too.

Although, when you say that you're reducing down to just SNES and Mega Drive...

Does that mean that you're getting rid of N64, GC, DC, PS1, PS2, Xbox, handhelds and obscurities?

I would be interested in the Panasonic Q... maybe not right this second though, unless you were interested in trades? As there are some SNES and MD games I can trade.

It would depend on what you're after though, also I've noticed a lot of other collectors are having similar cutbacks to their collections, maybe it's a good time to trade?

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, I'm potentially interested in a few things depending on what they are, even though I'm being selective now and I wish you the best. :peace:

I'm at the stage of putting things into boxes and sorting through so if I can offer any tips then I'm happy to do so but if there are any games you are after then let me know.

2019 seems to be becoming the year of games collection culling and/or curation. :p

It does make sense though if it makes games easier to play and enjoy in the long run, even if the decisions can be tricky to make at first, it does get easier.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

As I’m planning on reducing my retro collection to just the SNES and Mega Drive to make it much more manageable and focused I’m planning on getting rid of a lot of my other consoles. This is going to include the Panasonic Q. I thought I would check here first in case any of you guys were interested as I’d be happy to do you lot a better deal.

Hope you won't regret this in 10 years time. :p

Also what's with the retro avatar (yes I consider it retro at this point :p)?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Hope you won't regret this in 10 years time. :p

Also what's with the retro avatar (yes I consider it retro at this point :p)?

It’s me in my Garrus mask and hoodie. Paid enough for the bloody thing so I need to show it off where I can :p 

• Weird 1

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Well, it is sad to hear that you're reducing down your collection that drastically but... it is your collection so of course I respect that and I understand as I've been taking stock too.

Although, when you say that you're reducing down to just SNES and Mega Drive...

Does that mean that you're getting rid of N64, GC, DC, PS1, PS2, Xbox, handhelds and obscurities?

I would be interested in the Panasonic Q... maybe not right this second though, unless you were interested in trades? As there are some SNES and MD games I can trade.

It would depend on what you're after though, also I've noticed a lot of other collectors are having similar cutbacks to their collections, maybe it's a good time to trade?

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, I'm potentially interested in a few things depending on what they are, even though I'm being selective now and I wish you the best. :peace:

I'm at the stage of putting things into boxes and sorting through so if I can offer any tips then I'm happy to do so but if there are any games you are after then let me know.

2019 seems to be becoming the year of games collection culling and/or curation. :p

It does make sense though if it makes games easier to play and enjoy in the long run, even if the decisions can be tricky to make at first, it does get easier.

I’m in no rush to get rid of anything yet so if you want to look through my retro collection in the link in my sig then feel free. I’m only keeping Mega Drive & SNES for the actual collection and then I’ll probably keep NES and Atari because they are still my original consoles.

• Thanks 2

On 1/30/2019 at 10:46 AM, Happenstance said:

Very sad to hear that.  I'd be very happy to take THPS2 for GBA off your hands though.  Been meaning to pick it up again at some point and I'd like a non-fake, non-manky copy, so I'd give it a happy home :) 

Oh! That reminds me! As a random aside, since we no longer have a Buy/Sell thread.  I know it's not retro, but would anyone be interested in a copy of Tetris Effect for PS4? I got a duplicate for Xmas (Actually got two duplicates! But I've already gotten rid of one of them :laughing:), and can't really be arsed to deal with eBay again.

I'm happy to basically give it away.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Oh! That reminds me! As a random aside, since we no longer have a Buy/Sell thread.  I know it's not retro, but would anyone be interested in a copy of Tetris Effect for PS4? I got a duplicate for Xmas (Actually got two duplicates! But I've already gotten rid of one of them :laughing:), and can't really be arsed to deal with eBay again.

I'm happy to basically give it away as long as someone pays for the shipping.

I'd be very interested. :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkh4C3uDDLpLtuMKJFuTU

Just bought my early access ticket for Birmingham Gaming Market in July. Planning on going there with @Goafer and spending way too much money on SNES and Mega Drive games!

• Thanks 2

I just came across this fantastic video:

An in-depth analysis of Ocarina of Time's plot & aesthetics.

We've been taking OoT's quality - and impact on the videogame industry - for granted for so many years now, I feel that people tend to not discuss the game's actual content much these days. In light of that, this analysis came as a breath of fresh air, and even pointed out a few things I had never considered. Plus, it's very well edited and put together, gripping from beginning to end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I really hope some of the Sega owned Arcade games in this video make it across to Sega Ages on the Switch.

Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder and Outrunners in particular. :D

• Thanks 1

Such a great video from Sega Lord X, it definitely echoes my sentiments when it comes to videogames and collecting as a hobby. :peace:

There are many reasons that people are into gaming and collecting, it's far deeper than a "childish pastime" which some might have you believe.

This just makes me even more determined to put more time into playing games and organising my game room.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Random aside.  For anyone living in London; it looks like the Las Vegas Arcade in Soho has been doing some expanding as of late...

https://www.lasvegasarcadesoho.co.uk/games-machines/

... they recently got in Rhythm Heaven Arcade, Mario Kart Arcade GP DX and the new Taiko Arcade game (14)!

For anyone who has never been lucky enough to go to an arcade in Japan, you might wanna check it out next time you’re near Soho/Chinatown! :peace:

• Thanks 2

It's crazy how strong the PS2 lineup was, despite the PS3 being on the horizon. Okami, God of War 2, Rogue Galaxy, Final Fantasy XII and Yakuza. That's a cracking lineup up.

On 20/02/2019 at 10:10 PM, Dcubed said:

Random aside.  For anyone living in London; it looks like the Las Vegas Arcade in Soho has been doing some expanding as of late...

https://www.lasvegasarcadesoho.co.uk/games-machines/

... they recently got in Rhythm Heaven Arcade, Mario Kart Arcade GP DX and the new Taiko Arcade game (14)!

For anyone who has never been lucky enough to go to an arcade in Japan, you might wanna check it out next time you’re near Soho/Chinatown! :peace:

I had no idea there was an arcade version of Rhythm Heaven. :eek:

19 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Very similar to PS3-PS4. Sony are great at supporting their consoles right up until the end.

Indeed. It can harm some games though. To this day I still think that Puppeteer would have sold much more had it been a PS4 launch title rather than a twilight years PS3 game. Still, you have to admire them not abandoning their user base....at least on their consoles. Poor Vita. :( 

Heavenly Sword has just been shown on the video. I loved that game and it looked great at the time. It was one of my first games for the console. Andy Serkis done an amazing job bringing to life some of the characters in that game.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed. It can harm some games though. To this day I still think that Puppeteer would have sold much more had it been a PS4 launch title rather than a twilight years PS3 game. Still, you have to admire them not abandoning their user base....at least on their consoles. Poor Vita. :( 

Heavenly Sword has just been shown on the video. I loved that game and it looked great at the time. It was one of my first games for the console. Andy Serkis done an amazing job bringing to life some of the characters in that game.

It's also probably partly why Okami didn't sell well.

Resistance has just been shown off. I loved that game. Once again this was another title that I bought when I picked up my first PS3 console.

Its a shame the series is now dead. The second game done a lot of damage to the series and even though the third game was fantastic not many people picked it up. The PSP Resistance game was also a great game. I think Sony Bend made that one.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

I had no idea there was an arcade version of Rhythm Heaven. :eek:

What’s even more mad is that it was made by SEGA!

It’s basically a port of the original GBA game (low res GBA graphics and all), with minor tweaks and changes to fit the arcade format.

The arcade cab has a giant GBA d-pad and A button lol!

What makes it even more mad is that it’s a NAOMI game; which means that it’s a first party Nintendo game, that Nintendo licensed out to SEGA, to (effectively) port it to the Dreamcast!

See! Nintendo went 3rd party years ago!

• Thanks 1

Another great video from Sega Lord X, it really gives a greater appreciation for (and anticipation of) the upcoming Sega Ages version of Virtua Racing for the Switch.

Obviously I'd love to see other Sega Arcade games make it across in the future but I can understand that being that they are doing it right, it will take time but it'll be worth the wait.

Afterall, they don't call it "Sega Ages" for nothing. ;)

• Like 1

I've been following this channel for a little while now, Nerrel has been making a HD texture pack for the original N64 version of Majora's Mask and it's shaping up really nicely.

This latest video shows off the Great Bay area with the Zora Link transformation and of course the original Zora swimming. (there's a couple of funny moments in there too)

See, while I do appreciate what Nintendo did with The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask on the 3DS... it just makes me long for the original due to some of the changes.

If this was ever to get a HD re-release on the Switch, I would be more than happy with a HD version of the N64 original complete with the updated save system.

Either way, this video just reminded me of how much I really like Majora's Mask.

• Thanks 2