NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

At least most of the others have a strong cover graphic to draw your eye, the Naboo fighters are easy to miss. Also I suppose there's not much you can do when your title graphic takes up HALF THE PAGE! That Majora's Mask feature plug right in the middle of it made me laugh too

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Managed to score another couple of sealed Dreamcast games the other day on eBay.

Dl7-CEAV4AIV5dB?format=jpg

I played through both of these games for the first time a couple of years ago :hehe:

Headhunter is showing its age but it wasn't bad while Space Channel 5 was a little disappointing and I wouldn't consider it one of the best rhythm games I've played, unfortunately!

Who else remembers the original Traveller's Tales logo?

I certainly do! :D

Great video showing that piece of art behind it from the director of Traveller's Tales to celebrate one year of the YT channel.

I only recently discovered GameHut but there are some great videos on that channel. :)

• Thanks 1

Oh yeah, there's some fab stuff on Gamehut.  Love his deep dives into how he pulled off certain tricks on the MD, like the FMV intro to Sonic 3D Blast!

And his work on the Director's Cut of Sonic 3D Blast is amazing!

Speaking of Youtube videos...

AverageTrey just released his documentary on the history of the 120 Shines speedrun category for Super Mario Sunshine! If you have any remote interest in speedrunning, I highly recommend a watch! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

It never occured to me that there was even a repair service still going for the PS2! :o

I just figured that because it sold so many, it would be easier to buy another one second hand.

This reminds me though, as part of cleaning and overhauling my console setup, I must get around to cleaning out and dusting my TEST PS2 soon. :D

On 8/26/2018 at 10:12 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Good shout on Mean Machines @Grazza. I used to love reading both the original and Sega versions.

Looking back at all of the official magazines I have to say I think Nintendo had the worst. Sega Saturn, PlayStation and Dreamcast ones were brilliant and had great coverage and articles. ONM/NOM were always pretty poor in comparison, with very biased reviews and very few articles worth reading. 

Yeah its a shame because when Nintendo magazine system first launched, it was pretty great. Being that it was run by the same people that run Mean Machines. I'd genuinely look forward to each issue because I enjoyed reading it. But I remember around 1995/96 a lot of the staff moved on and the guys that replaced them turned the magazine into something that was quite embarrassing to read at times. I remember their running joke was to refer to the Playstation as the "greystation" because of its "boring games".

N64 magazine was always great though. They seemed to have decent attitude with what was going on with the N64 at the time. They loved Nintendo but wouldn't play down the droughts or the lack of third party games on the console. They made the best of it with these features in the back of the magazine each month which I remember being hilarious

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Helmsly said:

Yeah its a shame because when Nintendo magazine system first launched, it was pretty great.

I vividly remember buying the first issue at Liverpool St.  Lethal Weapon 3 cover with a free Game Boy keyring.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Grazza said:

I vividly remember buying the first issue at Liverpool St.  Lethal Weapon 3 cover with a free Game Boy keyring.

Yes, I had that on my keyring for years:

ca1f76ec-9cb7-11e4-8926-b7c02d367017.jpg

I remember a few issues later they gave the CD soundtrack to street fighter 2 as a cover gift as well. It was pretty uncommon to get any video game soundtracks back then at all, so that was pretty cool too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, youtuber Super Bunnyhop went down a proverbial rabbit hole (lol) in order to get a VR headset to work with anything on PC. I highly advise skipping to 9:55, since the first half of the video is just him describing what he did to make this contraption work.

The basic gist of it is, he can make VR work with games such as Mirror's Edge, and programs like the Dolphin emulator. The bloke recorded himself playing F-Zero GX and Ocarina of Time in VR. The results are fascinating to look at.

If you're strapped for time, watch just the OoT part (starting at 17:25). It's captivating, hearing him describe what the game feels like.

Edited by Jonnas

Yep, I can confirm that the above video is indeed fantastic. :D

I was going to post it in here the other night but it was late, so I just had enough time to watch it and post a congratulatory comment on the video. :) (It's still there, at the top)

I haven't been following Last Gamer for that long in real terms, maybe coming on for a year now but it was one of his earlier game house tours which got me to subscribe.

It's amazing to see just how far he's progressed over the years, the arcade had been on the cards for a long time, so it's fantastic to finally see it. :peace:

I'll probably never go to Australia or anywhere that's around that distance away but if I did, that would be one of the first places I would want to go to, if invited.

The largest videogame collection in the world and probably, one of the best arcades ever created in modern times which really represents what they are/were all about.

I think he's earned the title in that video of "Worlds Greatest Game Room" as it really is something very special indeed. :smile:

Yep, just watched it again as there's so much to appreciate in just one 20 minute video, amazing stuff. :grin:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

That really was awesome, and as @S.C.G says, truly captures what arcades were all about.  The feel is just right, from the lighting to the music videos playing on the screens.  This is exactly what arcades were - all the screens being on and being able to move between all the games.  He's even got the most important ones - the licenced games like Spider-Man and Ninja Turtles.  The only thing is, I'm not sure I ever actually went in an arcade as good as that!

• Like 1

On 23/09/2018 at 9:15 AM, lostmario said:

This is incredible, wait until you get to his Arcade Room.

Amazing vid, thanks for posting. My jaw was on the floor throughout. :grin: 

Anyway, I don’t usually watch these kind of vids where someone is just looking at boxes and stuff (unless I’m having trouble sleeping :heh:) but this one caught my eye as it’s about a complete Goemon collection! A series that I’m very fond of indeed, so I decided to check it out:

So cool. :love:

Quite a few titles I didn’t actually know about too, including that board game.

You can really see where things started to go wrong with that horrible change in style on the later games. :shakehead There’s no doubt that the best entries were the first ones on both SNES and N64. But yeah, that guy seems optimistic that Goemon will return at some point (nothing new since 2005 now! :() I can’t say I share his optimism, but very much hope he’s right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved watching that Goemon video, Id heard of Jimmy Happa thanks to Slopes Game Room but I hadn't checked out any of his content yet, good stuff though. :D

That reminds me, since I last pictured my N64 collection... it has grown significantly with two of the major additions to it being both Goemon titles. :)

I must show the updated collection at some point and of course get around to playing all these games. :p

- - - - - - - - - -

Now that the Arcade room has been completed over on Last Gamer (see that phenomenal video a few posts up) it seems that a certain show has returned...

The Last Gamer Show has officially relaunched and it's fantastic. :D

There's a review of Spider-Man, some footage of Forza Horizon 4 running on a simulator, a few news bits and some great editing. :peace:

It's an easy watch for me as I've been following the channel for a little bit but, it's well worth a watch I reckon and check out some earlier videos if you're interested. :smile:

I have no incentive to promote this channel, it just happens to be one of the ones that I really like, there's some great import stuff on there too.

• Like 1

Retro Gaming Cables are having a sale because they are changing the Scart ends of their cables to include their logo. (presumably injected into the plastic, like with the other end)

Anyway, up to 50% their current cables, the only difference being, that they have standard Scart connectors which are still of excellent quality.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/special&page=1

These are all high quality RGB cables, well worth getting. :D

If you're at all unsure and just want to make some snap purchases before they sell out...

• Go for C-Sync cables for best compatiblity
  • Consoles which are RGB capable as standard include SNES, MegaDrive, Saturn, Playstation
  • Consoles which are NOT RGB capable without modification include N64, PC Engine Duo

Though they do seem to be selling out fast already...

Out of Stock - PS1(Luma), PS2(Luma), SNES(CSYNC), XBOX(CSYNC), Neo Geo AES(CSYNC)

In Stock - Wii(CSYNC), PS1(CSYNC), PS2(CSYNC), GC(CSYNC), PC Engine(CSYNC)

These are NOT the PACKAPUNCH cables (those are double the price) but they are still going to be decent quality cables for the price.

Anyway, I've done most of the legwork there, maybe this will help someone, maybe it won't... as it stands, I might get a few bits for my Framemeister as I already have my cables.