NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Just now, Goafer said:

I don't know of many, but there was a promising one in Bristol. Picked up a Saturn game, waited at the till for 10 minutes, put it back and walked out. Couldn't tell who was staff and who was there to play card games. Whoever the staff actually were, they had zero interest in serving customers.

I just wish there was one closer to us. I used to enjoy going to that Gamestation in Oxford and checking out their retro section.

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I just wish there was one closer to us. I used to enjoy going to that Gamestation in Oxford and checking out their retro section.

The Banbury Emporium has retro games, but it's more of a general retro shop rather than a games shop. 

Has anyone been to the National Videogame Arcade before? I only heard about it the other day as apparently Alex Navarro from Giant Bomb was there at it's opening when he worked for Harmonix. They're based in Nottingham currently but are moving to Sheffield in September.

https://www.thenva.com/

The guy who runs the shop I went in is spot on. He was friendly, was happy to have the gaming banter and he knew his stuff. He's been really into Nintendo all his life but the other guy who works there is a total Sega nut. The Nintendo guy said if the Sega guy was in the store while I was there he would have been really happy with the purchases I made.

He was saying how they take note of rare games that come into the store and put them in a cabinet to keep the boxes getting damaged by random kids picking them up. Also, they clean all the discs when they come in to make sure they are as good as new. Looks to be a cracking place and I'll be happy to give them more if my business.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's been less than 24 hours since finding about that shop and this has already happened. :D 

I honestly could have spent a fortune in there but had to show some restraint.

Tech Romancer was a fun game. I wasn't a fan of Power Stone 1, but I liked the second one. Can't remember why I didn't like the first one.

34 minutes ago, Ike said:

Tech Romancer was a fun game. I wasn't a fan of Power Stone 1, but I liked the second one. Can't remember why I didn't like the first one.

I love Tech Romancer. It's one of my favourite Dreamcast games. The way the story branches and unlocks new characters/mechs is a fantastic way to add replay value. This, Plasma Sword, Project Justice, Power Stone, Marvel Vs series...Capcom were firing on all cylinders when it came to fighters on the Dreamcast.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2018 at 9:28 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

How in the blue hell did I not know about this store?!?!? It's been there for a year and is literally 2 mins drive away from where I live.

I randomly came across it while browsing on eBay and went straight there after work. They've got some great stuff in stock, with Aladdin on the MegaDrive, Tech Romancer on the Dreamcast and a white Sega Saturn already taking my fancy. There's loads of great import stuff for the SNES, Dreamcast and Saturn. This revelation isn't good for my bank account. :( 

Saw some pictures while hunting around for a Saturn controller and it does look nice.

Does Castlevania IV have much text. was considering picking up the Japanese cart?

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

Saw some pictures while hunting around for a Saturn controller and it does look nice.

Does Castlevania IV have much text. was considering picking up the Japanese cart?

I can't imagine it does. 

Are there any other Jap SNES stuff you're after? If there is I'll keep an eye out in the store for you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I can't imagine it does. 

Are there any other Jap SNES stuff you're after? If there is I'll keep an eye out in the store for you.

I've been after Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension for a while, also after Torneko no Daibōken: Fushigi no Dungeon (Torneko's Great Adventure: Mystery Dungeon). Not in any particular rush for them.

Been considering Kirby Super Star lately, but not sure on that one, maybe if I find it at a good price. And maybe Rockman X, I've seen it at NERG a couple of times but never could quite pull the trigger.

I'm after the NES US Dragon Warrior games.

Thanks for the offer, there's no pressure if you can't.

1 minute ago, Ike said:

I've been after Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension for a while, also after Torneko no Daibōken: Fushigi no Dungeon (Torneko's Great Adventure: Mystery Dungeon). Not in any particular rush for them.

Been considering Kirby Super Star lately, but not sure on that one, maybe if I find it at a good price. And maybe Rockman X, I've seen it at NERG a couple of times but never could quite pull the trigger.

I'm after the NES US Dragon Warrior games.

Thanks for the offer, there's no pressure if you can't.

I'll keep an eye out for them. No doubt I'll be popping in again this week.

I do know they have a fully boxed version of Rockman X 2 in store. I think it was £60.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'll keep an eye out for them. No doubt I'll be popping in again this week.

If you do happen to be popping in to this fantastic retro gaming shop regularly... I noticed they have some Neo Geo Pocket Color games in the cabinet.

Just on the off-chance... if they happen to have any of these titles in the PAL UK plastic clamshell boxes...

Magical Drop Pocket
Pocket Reversi
Evolution: Eternal Dungeons
Cool Boarders Pocket

I'd be willing to send you the cash for them, plus postage, plus a finders fee if you'd be so kind as to keep a look out for them please. :D

It is really, very, very unlikely they would come up but... I figure that with the amount of stuff they have in that store just from looking at the video, that'd be the place if they did. :)

I mean, these aren't cheap games either but in comparison to the highest priced game they showed off in the video (£1,600 or something?) :eek: I don't think all of those combined would even match that... though they would come close to the four figures I'd imagine as their price has really shot up within the past few years, heck even in the past few months.

Why did I decide to get into Neo Geo Pocket Color collecting in 2018? I keep asking myself the same question. :indeed:

It's a damn cool system to collect for though, that's for sure. :cool:

Anyway, I hope that soem Retro items come up in the shop that you're looking for @Hero-of-Time and that maybe some of the items on our "wishlists" might too. :p

Maybe we should make you up a shopping list or a database of titles to look out for? ;)

(I'm partly joking, but it is very good of you if you are offering to look out for retro titles on the off-chance)

Of course I'm more than happy to do the same on my end as well, as I'm always on the lookout for Retro games and I do frequent charity shops and sometimes car boots plus CEX so you never know your luck. :smile:

I think all of us retro gamers have got to stick together when collecting stuff :peace: well... unless we're all after the same thing but that rarely seems to happen. :heh:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Haha 1

After all this retro talk, I've been looking for retro shops "in the neighbourhood". I found one which is relatively close-by, though still not close enough to be very practical, but they have a good website. In fact I did see some SNES Dragonball games, although I forgot which ones. But they were French versions. Anyway, I'll keep it in mind in case I do want to participate in that videogame club.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

A pretty decent video here from Top Hat Gaming Man on the History of the Game Boy, which has some interesting pieces of information and some cracking games. :D

It might even be worth watching @drahkon if you were looking for inspiration for which games to choose for your Video Game Club thread. :peace:

Gotta love Super Mario Land 2, an absolute classic. :heart:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, S.C.G said:

It might even be worth watching @drahkon if you were looking for inspiration for which games to choose for your Video Game Club thread. :peace:

Cracking video, thanks. I had chosen three games before watching it, though. :p 

• Like 1

Nintendo have launched lawsuits against a number of ROM sites recently which has lead to Emuparadise removing access to ROM's from their website and sites like Coolroms have scrubbed all Nintendo consoles from their listings. What is your take on recent developments? These sites have functioned for over a decade without the games industry paying them too much attention but now Nintendo seem to have made it their mission to rid the internet of easy access to their retro games.

I can understand where Nintendo is coming from, they need to protect their intellectual property but it strikes a huge blow for game preservation - the majority of the games available from emulation websites aren't currently available on any of the major console manufacturers digital stores and so there is no way to legitimately access them without spending increasingly prohibitive amounts on eBay for the original cartridges or discs. 

It's weird to me that Nintendo are only just threatening action now considering they have been monetising their back catalogue for over a decade with the Virtual Console, could the existence of the NES and SNES classic editions - and the ease with which people have hacked them - be the reason for their sudden interest in illegal emulation?

51 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Ike is this what you are after?

Super Famicom Game

I came across it while browsing on eBay and figured I would give you a heads up in case you were interested in it.

Yup!

Looks in good condition from what I can tell from the pictures and a good price, I found one for £30 boxed which I thought was a decent price the other day.

Not sure about the name cradleofscum though. :p

Thanks for the head up!

21 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Nintendo have launched lawsuits against a number of ROM sites recently which has lead to Emuparadise removing access to ROM's from their website and sites like Coolroms have scrubbed all Nintendo consoles from their listings. What is your take on recent developments? These sites have functioned for over a decade without the games industry paying them too much attention but now Nintendo seem to have made it their mission to rid the internet of easy access to their retro games.

I can understand where Nintendo is coming from, they need to protect their intellectual property but it strikes a huge blow for game preservation - the majority of the games available from emulation websites aren't currently available on any of the major console manufacturers digital stores and so there is no way to legitimately access them without spending increasingly prohibitive amounts on eBay for the original cartridges or discs. 

It's weird to me that Nintendo are only just threatening action now considering they have been monetising their back catalogue for over a decade with the Virtual Console, could the existence of the NES and SNES classic editions - and the ease with which people have hacked them - be the reason for their sudden interest in illegal emulation?

That sucks. I get why, but it just reaffirms my dislike of Nintendo's attitude towards homebrew, YouTube and other things.

It's not like it'll achieve anything, so whatever.

Edited by Goafer

7 hours ago, killthenet said:

Did you give the PC World article a read? There's some good points in there in regards to all of this. Also, Jim sterling has now put out a video on the situation.

7 hours ago, killthenet said:

It's certainly a possibility. They have been pushing their classic console line for the past couple of years. Also, their subscription service is to be released next month and one of the selling points is the retro games that will be part of it. They may be doing this to get people to sign up for said service. It could also be that this is to do with the new management at Nintendo. As you said, Virtual Console has been around for the past decade but this didn't effect these sites. Maybe Shuntaro Furukawa isn't going to tolerate these kinds of things whereas Iwata did?

It's certainly an interesting situation and does highlight just how badly the industry handles it's own historic titles. Far too many games are going to be lost to time, either due to lack of interest by publishers to release them of games being stuck in licensing hell. This kind of sites offer ways and means for players to get a hold of these types of games. There's also things like ROMs that have fan translations attached to them. There are games like Secret of Mana 2 or Live A Live that never saw the light of day over here but have been patched and upload for Western gamers to finally play. 

Like you, I do understand where Nintendo are coming from BUT if companies are going to start doing this then they have to offer an alternative way to get a hold of these games. If Nintendo were doing this but also announced a robust Virtual Console with every game from the NES/SNES (obviously never going to happen) then I don't think there would be such an uproar. I mean, the Virtual Console and the new Classic Console line has shown people are more than happy to actually pay for these games if offered to them and I think that's the problem here. Nintendo are taking away games but not actually giving anything back in return. 

I've said it before but Microsoft have to be commended in the way they are trying to preserve their history. The reason behind them doing it doesn't really matter, what does matter is that they been active in trying to keep their back catalogue alive and it's very much appreciated. Both Sony and Nintendo have been awful this generation, with Sony having halfheartedly putting PS2 games on the PS4 (that's pretty much dead at this point ) and Nintendo only now starting to get their act together with their classic games. The fact that you could play PSOne games on the PS3 but can't on the PS4 still baffles me to this day, just as Nintendo have spent a year and a half twiddling their thumbs in regards to releasing their retro games.

Looking at this situation it's no wonder the retro collecting scene is so big and expensive these days. Everyone is after all of these games that are no longer available on modern platforms and 2 of the platform holders don't seem to care.

• Thanks 1

I've been looking at Super Famicom stuff and it's crazy how cheap some of the games are compared to its Western equivalent. Most of the games seem to be in much better condition as well. I imagine a lot of games can be bought, played and enjoyed due to the nature of a lot of the games being platformers or shooters. Obviously JRPGs would be a problem but the rest would probably be okay to play. 

@Ike I know you collect DQ titles but have you picked up any games that never made it out over here purely just to play through? I watched a couple of videos last night and it seems there a host of titles that never reached these shores that seem easily playable, despite being in Japanese.

There are some interesting Sega related articles on Nintendolife today (based off a developer interview in EDGE).

One quote stood out, about F-Zero GX selling over 1.5m. I thought sales bombed and it barely made half that?

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've been looking at Super Famicom stuff and it's crazy how cheap some of the games are compared to its Western equivalent. Most of the games seem to be in much better condition as well. I imagine a lot of games can be bought, played and enjoyed due to the nature of a lot of the games being platformers or shooters. Obviously JRPGs would be a problem but the rest would probably be okay to play. 

@Ike I know you collect DQ titles but have you picked up any games that never made it out over here purely just to play through? I watched a couple of videos last night and it seems there a host of titles that never reached these shores that seem easily playable, despite being in Japanese.

This is true! When I was in Japan I was absolutely floored at how cheap retro games were and just how good nick they were all in! The Japanese really take good care of their games! It's no wonder why the used games market is so massive over there! Everything is pristine!

• Thanks 1

gOvNnAv.jpg

Finished the test prints for the dust covers I was talking about the other day. I was originally just gonna go with the smaller bottom only one but I quite like the way the carts sit in the full size cover. Just need to get myself some black filament now so it matches the majority of Mega Drive carts and I can print more for my whole collection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1