NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Ok i've tried this multiple times but never got very far into it but I'm starting Chrono Trigger again. Its time I actually played through it properly.

35 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Ok i've tried this multiple times but never got very far into it but I'm starting Chrono Trigger again. Its time I actually played through it properly.

Ha, should I join you? It was one of the things I downloaded on my Wii last time. I need to fire it up anyway to spend my remaining points. That said, I have plenty other stuff I need to play.

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

Ha, should I join you? It was one of the things I downloaded on my Wii last time. I need to fire it up anyway to spend my remaining points. That said, I have plenty other stuff I need to play.

It's up to you of course but I would certainly welcome someone to talk to about it as I'm playing!

Think I'll finally order myself an 8bitdo controller soon to use with the SNES mini and a potential Super NT. As I'm enjoying playing Chrono Trigger at the moment it would be nice as well to not have to sit at the desk with the wired controller to play it.

Man I really want a Super NT... Can’t get one just yet though sadly...

Coming up on 4 hours of Chrono Trigger and still enjoying it. I’ve just reached the end of time for the first....time.

I also stupidly bid on an N64 bundle yesterday thinking I wouldn’t win but surprisingly (given how much came with it) I won. I was tempted to keep the win but thankfully I remembered my decision to just stick to certain eras for my collection and that has been working for me a lot better lately (as I can see with Chrono Trigger) so I apologised to the seller and cancelled the order. If an N64 mini ever comes then I’ll get that, otherwise I just need to remember before bidding that I’m not looking for more consoles anymore :laughing:

I really wish that Mega Drive Mini had turned out well. I'd love to have it sitting next to my SNES Mini. I'm really in the mood to play some Mega Drive games at the moment and can't be bothered to dig my proper console out of storage.

Ok I ordered my 8Bitdo SNES pad. Was getting sick of having to sit at my desk to keep playing Chrono Trigger.

42 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Ok I ordered my 8Bitdo SNES pad. Was getting sick of having to sit at my desk to keep playing Chrono Trigger.

Which one did you get specifically? They've got loads of different models now.

Just now, Ike said:

Which one did you get specifically? They've got loads of different models now.

I didn't want to spend too much at the moment so I got the one specifically designed for use with the SNES Mini. Comes bundled with the dongle but I think it doesn't have bluetooth as the trade off. I'll get another one if I get the Super NT. I was tempted by the Pro for a while which has the thumb sticks and extra triggers but I decided as I barely use my Switch as it is, there was just no real need for it.

8bitdo_SNES_Mini-712x400@2x.jpg

On 04/08/2018 at 2:17 PM, Happenstance said:

It's up to you of course but I would certainly welcome someone to talk to about it as I'm playing!

On 04/08/2018 at 2:18 PM, Sméagol said:

I have plans this weekend, but I'll start Monday.

Just started this, but I'll start a new thread dedicated to Chrono Trigger.

I downloaded Zelda: A Link to the Past first though. I actually own it physically, so it was more of a convenience thing. Ehm, thinking about it now, that may have been a dumb decision if I end up buying the SNES mini, though I don't have any concrete plans to do so at the moment. Did the first dungeon quickly. Then I started Chrono Trigger.

13 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I didn't want to spend too much at the moment so I got the one specifically designed for use with the SNES Mini. Comes bundled with the dongle but I think it doesn't have bluetooth as the trade off. I'll get another one if I get the Super NT. I was tempted by the Pro for a while which has the thumb sticks and extra triggers but I decided as I barely use my Switch as it is, there was just no real need for it.

8bitdo_SNES_Mini-712x400@2x.jpg

The wireless one might be more reliable, depending on how crowded the 2.4ghz network is. I have the Bluetooth adapter and it sometimes sticks like I'm holding a direction down even if I'm not pressing anything. Unless there's a problem with the adapter.

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

The wireless one might be more reliable, depending on how crowded the 2.4ghz network is. I have the Bluetooth adapter and it sometimes sticks like I'm holding a direction down even if I'm not pressing anything. Unless there's a problem with the adapter.

I'll let you know how well it works then.

a1f6206d3e7b4c389a79c87e16c81b7b_preview

Thinking about 3D printing myself 1 or 2 of these stands so I could actually start displaying some of my SNES collection. I was also hoping to find a 3D file for dust covers but annoyingly so far I'm only finding them for NTSC versions as they had them properly so were probably easier to model. Might have to try and design one myself.

Edit: Did managed to find some Mega Drive/Genesis dust covers though which will be helpful.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

How in the blue hell did I not know about this store?!?!? It's been there for a year and is literally 2 mins drive away from where I live.

I randomly came across it while browsing on eBay and went straight there after work. They've got some great stuff in stock, with Aladdin on the MegaDrive, Tech Romancer on the Dreamcast and a white Sega Saturn already taking my fancy. There's loads of great import stuff for the SNES, Dreamcast and Saturn. This revelation isn't good for my bank account. :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there a list anywhere of retro gaming stores in the uk? I’m sure I’ve searched on Google before but nothing ever seems current or accurate enough.

20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

How in the blue hell did I not know about this store?!?!? It's been there for a year and is literally 2 mins drive away from where I live.

I randomly came across it while browsing on eBay and went straight there after work. They've got some great stuff in stock, with Aladdin on the MegaDrive, Tech Romancer on the Dreamcast and a white Sega Saturn already taking my fancy. There's loads of great import stuff for the SNES, Dreamcast and Saturn. This revelation isn't good for my bank account. :( 

Do they have an eBay store? Searched but couldn't find it.

Edit: never mind, found it.

30 minutes ago, Ike said:

Do they have an eBay store? Searched but couldn't find it.

Edit: never mind, found it.

A fair bit of their stock isn't actually on eBay. For example, in store they had Final Fantasy V and Super Mario RPG (both jap and it fantastic condition) but I don't think they are on eBay. 

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A fair bit of their stock isn't actually on eBay. For example, in store they had Final Fantasy V and Super Mario RPG (both jap and it fantastic condition) but I don't think they are on eBay. 

Yeah... There wasn't much on there.

It's been less than 24 hours since finding about that shop and this has already happened. :D 

DkT5YwPWsAECy_u?format=jpg

I honestly could have spent a fortune in there but had to show some restraint.

• Like 4

I don't know of many, but there was a promising one in Bristol. Picked up a Saturn game, waited at the till for 10 minutes, put it back and walked out. Couldn't tell who was staff and who was there to play card games. Whoever the staff actually were, they had zero interest in serving customers.