NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

Well the guy who sold me the Pokemon cart immediately gave me a refund so that’s something. Gave me a quick sentence about how that’s never happened before and he lists all his items as coming from car boot sales but we both know they are repro carts lol.

• Weird 1

On 29/06/2018 at 9:56 AM, Happenstance said:

Not really. I would prefer games to be preserved rather just a set limit which will continue to become more and more rare as they break etc.

On 29/06/2018 at 10:09 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

That is true. I'm just really weird and refuse to have anything unofficial in my collection. I've never bought or own copied games and I even refuse to play emulators on PC. I'd rather go without and not play a game i'm waiting to play over playing a copy or using an emulator. Like I said, i'm a bit weird like that.

This is a "pro" for flashcards, don't have to worry about the battery dying and you get to play on the original hardware. Although you need a way to backup your own cart of course.

• Like 1

Ordered a PACKAPUNCH SNES cable. Now debating if I should get a cable for the PS2...

6 hours ago, Ike said:

This is a "pro" for flashcards, don't have to worry about the battery dying and you get to play on the original hardware. Although you need a way to backup your own cart of course.

Balls to original hardware. Every single SNES and Mega Drive game ever made (and a select few from other consoles) on one system FTW.

pi.jpg

I may have to purchase that.

Rare have also announced that a line of Banjo-Kazooie plushies, Banjo-Kazooie Totaku figure and a Banjo-Kazooie themed ship head for Sea of Thieves are all on there way. Now if only we could get a new Banjo game from them...

I think I might get the GameCube our next week. Feel like playing Twin Snakes again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I think I might get the GameCube our next week. Feel like playing Twin Snakes again.

Haha.. that's me pretty much every single month!

It's gonna happen soon..

• Thanks 1

You mean... not everyone has their GameCube set up on their desk in front of them so that it's ready to be used at a moments notice? :blank:

I know... space issues, even I can't have all consoles set up at all times, but for the GameCube, N64 and Megadrive/CD/32X I always have them set up... just in case. :D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

You mean... not everyone has their GameCube set up on their desk in front of them so that it's ready to be used at a moments notice? :blank:

I know... space issues, even I can't have all consoles set up at all times, but for the GameCube, N64 and Megadrive/CD/32X I always have them set up... just in case. :D

I rotate my consoles in and out so there's usually one on my desk. The Saturn has just been put away so its time for another one :p 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I rotate my consoles in and out so there's usually one on my desk. The Saturn has just been put away so its time for another one :p 

Does your GameCube actually work? :p 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Does your GameCube actually work? :p 

Lol yes thankfully. Thinking about it the only console in my collection that doesn't work is the Saturn. I've been pretty lucky.

11 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

That leads to an interesting question: which consoles do people have setup?

Under my games room TV I have the PS4, Saturn, GameCube and Raspberry Pi. Living room TV has the PS3, but mainly for Blurays.

I don't swap out consoles often, so they've been there a while and will probably remain there for some time.

• Thanks 1

PS4, PS3, Switch and SNES classic are the only ones always plugged in for me then as I said, one extra gets rotated in and out depending what I want to play.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

PS4, PS3, Switch and SNES classic are the only ones always plugged in for me then as I said, one extra gets rotated in and out depending what I want to play.

I thought you sold your Switch?

I've just got the PS4 and Switch out but I just use the Switch as a handheld. There's too much in the PS4 to play that it's hard for anything else to get a look in.

My retro consoles only get setup when I feel the need to play some retro goodness, otherwise they stay boxed up. I'd be more inclined to keep some of them out if I ever pick up an OSSC.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

I thought you sold your Switch?

I tried, nobody wanted it :laughing:

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I tried, nobody wanted it :laughing:

Lies! You missed it so much that you bought another one, didn't you?

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Lies! You missed it so much that you bought another one, didn't you?

Oh definitely, the spot where it sits on my desk and never moves was just looking sad without it there :laughing:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Goafer said:

That leads to an interesting question: which consoles do people have setup?

Well...

On my computer desk I have the PC set up underneath as standard along with a tonne of games and boxes with controllers in which I need to sort out again at some point.

Then actually on the desk I have, Sega Multimega 32X on the left with the Wii U underneath it, GameCube on the right, Switch dock in the middle with NES/SNES mini's either side.

I have a still reasonably sturdy plastic shelving unit which has a sub-woofer underneath it, AV unit on the lower shelf, PS4 on the middle shelf and Xbox One/360 on the top shelf.

Over to the right there's a small drawer unit with a VCR, a TEST PS2 on top, plastic unit with a strong monitor riser which houses my N64, then theres a make-shift retro housing made of two square box-frame shelf things which has my Retron 5 in and right on top of that is my vertical monitor along with various switches, adapters and a capture unit acting as a pass-through.

Right in the centre is the main chest of drawers which has the other part of a plastic unit on it with the PS3 (Blu Ray Player) in the middle, then some make-shift TV stand made from non-working NES consoles (they are still intact and haven't been upcycled or anything like that, they are just really... useful) which then has my main TV on top. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G

I'd love to have the space to have all my stuff set up at once. The dream is definitely to get a dedicated shelving system for them all, probably with back lighting and maybe multiple CRTs.

• Like 1

Downstairs in the living room I have my PS4 and Wii U underneath the TV with the Switch sitting in its dock on top of a book shelf just a little left of the TV unit.

Upstairs, in the room I'm currently typing this, I have SNES Mini (which I still never play), N64, Dreamcast, PS2, PS3 and Wii (which I use for GC games) connected to my HDTV along with a Sega Saturn, which I currently have on loan from my brother. I also have my old CRT here with the SNES and PS1 underneath that I will eventually get around to hooking up properly for light gun games and the Super Scope and also the Gamecube so I can play the odd game that isn't compatible with my Wii via component, such as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 and Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution (because it's Japanese :heh: ) though the former will work on the Wii if I have it hooked up through my game capture device!

Not that they really count, I guess, but in the other corner of the room I have my New 3DS in the dock, a Mario stand holding my DS lite in his hands and the Wii U Gamepad.. all charging but rarely needed :grin:

• Thanks 1

My current living room setup includes...

2x Wii Us (One PAL, one US NTSC model - the latter having my full US Wii VC library)

Gamecube (With GCHD Evo HDMI mod)

Switch

PS3 (Doubles up as my blu-ray player and my PS1 game player)

N64

Alienware Alpha PC

Not a single wire is visible :D 

The rest of my consoles are hooked up to my bedroom TV in a beautifully messy, makeshift setup though!

• Thanks 1

Just over a year ago I decided to start playing through some of the Gamecube titles that I had missed out on but very quickly ran into issues with how the games looked on my TV, thankfully the TV that I was using at the time (borrowed from my brother) was compatible with component cables so I bought a relatively cheap Wii component cable and was very impressed with the jump in the quality of the signal. I played through a few games like this and everything worked great but it wasn't long until my brother wanted the TV back and because I had been looking at getting a new 4K set I didn't mind too much but I ran into a few issues while shopping for one, I couldn't find one that offered 4K & decent HDR at a reasonable price that also had component inputs so I decided in favour of the new tech and thought I would look into other ways of connecting my Wii to it. 

The Wii2HDMI adapter seemed like a good and cheap solution but I ran into some PAL specific issues. Due to the way modern TV's handle interlaced signals the picture from Gamecube games would drop out intermittently meaning every so often the screen would go black for a second of two. At first I didn't think it was too much of an inconvenience but very quickly realised it made the majority of games unplayable so I was forced to look for another solution, one that didn't involve spending a tonne of money on a Framemeister or some other converter.

Luckily I discovered the Hyperkin HD Cable for Wii, it cost about £25 including shipping from the US and arrived the other day. I've only managed to try it out for a little while so far but I got through 4 tracks on Wave Race without running into a single hiccup with the signal where I would usually be faced with a black screen for a second every minute or so, so fingers crossed it seems like a perfect fix. 

I plan on playing Mario Sunshine when the World Cup is over so will report back with full impressions of the cable then but just thought i'd post in here incase anyone else was having problems connecting a Wii to a TV without component inputs.

• Thanks 1

I read that Giant Bomb have been playing a bunch of fighters and are ranking them all using scientific methods. :D I checked YouTube for the episodes and found they done one on Rival Schools. I was happy to see that the game shot right up in their rankings. Both that and Project Justice deserve more recognition and love. They are both brilliant games and quite hidden gems on the Playstation and Dreamcast.

• Like 1

The thread on Era was ridiculous. Full of people bitching that their favourite game wasn’t on there despite the fact that it’s a series where they add to the list as they play the games. Plus you can’t argue with their clear scientific methodology!