NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

How in the hell did the Wavebird end up in that state? That's one of the worst cases of yellowing I've seen.

Picked it up at a car boot for £2, I'd guess it went to a few car boots sat for hours in the sun before I got it.

10 minutes ago, lostmario said:

Picked it up at a car boot for £2, I'd guess it went to a few car boots sat for hours in the sun before I got it.

And now the sun has reversed the damage it contributed to, along with the help of the peroxide of course... it's almost poetic. :D

Anyway, that Wavebird and the Dreamcast look like they cleaned up very nicely indeed, I may end up performing this method on some consoles but I'm not too keen on using hydrogen peroxide.

Has anyone else tried Magic Erasers on old yellowed plastic? It's a Melamine foam which usually comes in a block, you use it for cleaning around the house, apparently it works on light yellowing but you have to be careful as it will take off certain logos as well, so just keep away from those parts with it, but the magic eraser may be good if you don't want to take anything apart. :peace:

In fact... I may try that out on one of my Wavebird receivers which is noticably yellow compared to the rest as a test.

20 minutes ago, lostmario said:

I've read that consoles and controllers tend to go yellow quicker if in the possession of a smoker. Methinks that's what had happened there.

• Thanks 1

Baffles me that yellowing is so common. I've 2 wavebirds and a white/pearl GameCube that are still their original colours. My mates Dreamcast that I borrowed is still white and he hardly takes care of his stuff.

After all of the Sega Saturn talk a few weeks ago and finding my brother's console in the roof space, I haven't really thought about the console at all after a couple of quick blasts of Manx TT and Sega Rally which, to be honest, I kind of anticipated.

I can't really see myself exploring it any further so it's probably time to box it up and give it back!

Just in case anyone else is going down the RGB Scart route...

I mean, it's not anything that hasn't already been covered on My Life In Gaming but, I still found this useful as it reinforced why I ended up going with fully shielded, C-Sync Packapunch Pro cables with optional seperate audio from Retro Gaming Cables. :smile:

No, I still haven't set it all up yet but I will in time. :peace:

Dreamt I finally bought an N64 the other night and got really annoyed when the ebay seller sent me that ugly Pikachu version instead :laughing:

41SijD3rDtL.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

On 07/05/2018 at 7:42 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I've read that consoles and controllers tend to go yellow quicker if in the possession of a smoker. Methinks that's what had happened there.

I've always been inclined to agree but my SNES yellowed a bit and weirdly more in a non-smoking household than a mates' did. Ofc this all happened when I was younger and unaware of it being a thing and full console history his side etc but I may be tempted to unase and try unyellowing it via lost's method. Ofc in my slight ignorna cemy first question was the exact same as yours - how did it get there in the first place!! #NotAllYellows

Right, so I've bought myself a Retron5 and I'm loving my gaming life right now. I'm slowly building up my collection but I want some games. As you all probably know, I'm a Disney geek so any Disney suggestions are good. The Retron5 can play Mega Drive, Genesis, Master System (I plan on getting the converter), Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, SNES, NES, Famicom and Super Famicom.

Here's a list of what I have:

MEGA DRIVE/GENESIS:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

B.O.B

CastleVania: The New Generation

The Pagemaster

Mickey Mania

World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck

Pinocchio

Aladdin

The Jungle Book

Asterix and the Great Rescue

Toy Story

James Bond: The Duel

The Lion King

Forgotten Worlds

Tale Spin

Mega Games 6

McDonalds Global Gladiators

SNES

Super Mario World

Super Mario All-stars

GAME BOY

Super Mario Land

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

Rayman

Bill and Ted's Excellent Game Boy Adventure

Taz Mania

Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Game Boy Gallery

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

GAME BOY ADVANCE

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

Mario Kart: Super Circuit

WWF: Road to Wrestlemania

Spy Kids 3D

Klonoa: Empire of Dreams

Crash and Spyro: Super Pack

Colin McRae Rally 2.0

Treasure Planet

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Wolfenstein 3D

Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup

POKeMON

Red

Yellow

Sapphire

Emerald

Fire Red (won't work on Retron5 for some reason)

Leaf Green

So that's my cart list. I'm open to any good games/Disney games/Pokemon games...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

@Animal Be sure to pick up both Castle of Illusion and Quackshot on the Megadrive and Aladdin on the SNES, which is a completely different version compared to the MD one.

Seeing as you're wanting Disney stuff, Beauty and the Beast on the SNES is also worth a look, as is Goof Troop.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

[mention=3591]Animal[/mention] Be sure to pick up both Castle of Illusion and Quackshot on the Megadrive and Aladdin on the SNES, which is a completely different version compared to the MD one.
Seeing as you're wanting Disney stuff, Beauty and the Beast on the SNES is also worth a look, as is Goof Troop.
I saw Castle/Quackshot in the shop so I'll pick that up next. I've seen Goof Troop about as well. I was thinking about getting Aladdin but I wasn't sure of the similarities. If it plays different, I'll definitely pick it up!

11 hours ago, Animal said:

Right, so I've bought myself a Retron5 and I'm loving my gaming life right now. I'm slowly building up my collection but I want some games. As you all probably know, I'm a Disney geek so any Disney suggestions are good.

Darkwing Duck for NES (and obviously Duck Tales, and you may want to check the other Capcom Disney NES games).

• Like 1

Darkwing Duck for NES (and obviously Duck Tales, and you may want to check the other Capcom Disney NES games).
Ooooh, Duck Tales! How could I forget?! I love that game!

@Happenstance do you have this model of the Panasonic 3DO? If so... flick that switch from A to B right naaaaaoooow! :p

• Thanks 1

Was trying to play on the Saturn this afternoon with @Goafer but we couldn’t get anything to work properly. None of the games we tried managed to load past a certain point, or sometimes not at all :( 

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Was trying to play on the Saturn this afternoon with @Goafer but we couldn’t get anything to work properly. None of the games we tried managed to load past a certain point, or sometimes not at all :( 

Was that the one you bought off CEX? Sounds like the laser is knackered on it.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Was that the one you bought off CEX? Sounds like the laser is knackered on it.

Yeah. Shame because it was working perfectly before :cry:

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah. Shame because it was working perfectly before :cry:

You haven't had it that long. Contact them and tell them it's busted.

Wanted to get Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii so went into Cex to see how much it was, seemed a bit pricey so I went to Game for the first time in years to see if they had it any cheaper. They didn't have it but they did have a few PS3 games I've had on my list for a while and with the 3 for 2 deal it only cost me £8 for God Of War 1 & 2 HD and Dead Space 1 and 2. I've always been on the lookout for these when I've nipped into Cex recently but have never seen them in stock, just had a look on their website and God Of War alone costs £20 from there, really surprised that Game ended up being so much cheaper. 

Just finished watching this. I forgot how boring Sony's E3 shows used to be. Sales charts and tech discussions used to be how they done things back then. To be fair all of them used to do it but Sony used to be the worst for it.

The original DS was such a rush job to combat the PSP. It was blatantly obvious. :D 

I love the PSP. Like the Vita, it's a very underrated handheld that had some amazing games. Crisis Core, Birth By Sleep, Megaman X remake, Final Fantasy 1, 2 and 4, Dissidia....S-E really put all their support into the machine. It also had Monster Hunter Unite, which I think it still the most complete Monster Hunter game.

The DS had a slow start but once it got going it produced an amazing library of games. A bit like the 3DS, really. Stuff like the Dragon Quest and Pokemon games scratched the JRPG itch. You then had platforming goodness from Nintendo with NSMB and one of my personal favourites, Super Princess Peach. The DS was also home to some amazingly quirky games like Tingles Rosey Rupeeland, Ghost Trick, Henry Hatsworth and Soul Bubbles. Truly a great little handheld.

• Thanks 2