NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

I ended up on eBay because of this thread to lookup Dreamcasts and ended up searching for something I've been after for a while but not found any decent priced ones, that and I'm pretty wary of using eBay. But I found one that seemed like a good price and a reputable seller so I bit the bullet and I got it on Monday. It looked brand new straight from the factory. Pretty happy overall.

Spoiler

y4mHHx9iHgDXwIPezKu_raCJ2o7H8pZY6Xoeq6FJ

y4mcZ60b4ipdEMVekt7fbzBdGjqI7jTpu9KiT1Dy

y4mUlVw-107BgR_lH6BKpzkDP-UfIcvfvhpSCzgO

y4m60VX1YcOFxfdJpQvDTWrRFv8RscIPBr93vg34

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's pretty nice condition @Ike did you get it from the seller from Japan who has two left at £48.23 by any chance? :D

I'm tempted myself...

7 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

That's pretty nice condition @Ike did you get it from the seller from Japan who has two left at £48.23 by any chance? :D

I'm tempted myself...

Yep! :laughing:

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Yep! :laughing:

I'm sure there's a reason I don't own one yet though... you're using it on a Super Famicom right? It won't just work on a PAL Super Nintendo I'm guessing?

It's a really odd one because it's a peripheral, so there shouldn't be a problem but I heard that they have a lockout chip.

I know it fits in the cart slot of a UK console and JP but not US without modification.

17 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I'm sure there's a reason I don't own one yet though... you're using it on a Super Famicom right? It won't just work on a PAL Super Nintendo I'm guessing?

It's a really odd one because it's a peripheral, so there shouldn't be a problem but I heard that they have a lockout chip.

I know it fits in the cart slot of a UK console and JP but not US without modification.

Good question! I'm using a Super Famicom so not 100% sure, but I don't think it works on a PAL console. it might if you have an adapter. It'll work on the US console if you remove the tabs (good region protection, Nintendo :laughing:).

Your basically plugging a Gameboy into your SNES so it's a bit weird they'd lock it out. I don't think the 50hz/60hz matters in this instance.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ike said:

I ended up on eBay because of this thread to lookup Dreamcasts and ended up searching for something I've been after for a while but not found any decent priced ones, that and I'm pretty wary of using eBay. But I found one that seemed like a good price and a reputable seller so I bit the bullet and I got it on Monday. It looked brand new straight from the factory. Pretty happy overall.

Reveal hidden contents

y4mHHx9iHgDXwIPezKu_raCJ2o7H8pZY6Xoeq6FJ

y4mcZ60b4ipdEMVekt7fbzBdGjqI7jTpu9KiT1Dy

y4mUlVw-107BgR_lH6BKpzkDP-UfIcvfvhpSCzgO

y4m60VX1YcOFxfdJpQvDTWrRFv8RscIPBr93vg34

Haha. You were looking at Dreamcast stuff and then ended up with that. This thread truly is dangerous. :D 

It looks like a fantastic bit of kit and it's a great find, Ike. 

Yep, I bought one as well... and the Hori SGB Commander controller to go with it. :blank:

It's my own fault, I shouldn't have checked this thread... but I can't not check it. ::shrug:

That's it now, no more Retro purchases or large amount of new game purchases for a while...

...probably. :p

We seem to take it in turns to have our retro game purchase flourishes. Who's next on the list after me and SCG? :p 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

We seem to take it in turns to have our retro game purchase flourishes. Who's next on the list after me and SCG? :p 

Well, bearing in mind that I've also added to my Neo Geo Pocket Color collection recently, it's not going to be my turn again for quite a while now I reckon. :p

Mind you, if this Super GameBoy 2 doesn't work on my Pal SNES then I will be considering one that does later on down the line, not immediately though, that's for sure. :)

I reckon @Hero-of-Time will be next with a load of Dreamcast stuff or maybe some original Xbox games...

...complete with an Xbox One purchase of course. ;)

Although @Happenstance I think you might end up adding some more titles to your Saturn collection sooner than expected, it's a really tempting system to collect for. :cheeky:

Place your bets now! :D

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Yep, I bought one as well... and the Hori SGB Commander controller to go with it. :blank:

It's my own fault, I shouldn't have checked this thread... but I can't not check it. ::shrug:

That's it now, no more Retro purchases or large amount of new game purchases for a while...

...probably. :p

Are you able to use it though? I'm not sure it will work on a PAL SNES.

3 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Although @Happenstance I think you might end up adding some more titles to your Saturn collection sooner than expected, it's a really tempting system to collect for. :cheeky:

Place your bets now! :D

To be honest I probably would have bought more by now along with the N64 for the wrestling games but I'm trying to put aside money at the moment for Comic Con at the end of May so you'll probably see purchases from me again in June!

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Are you able to use it though? I'm not sure it will work on a PAL SNES.

Possibly not but I'm taking a gamble and I might go for one of those new SNES consoles at some point - not for a while - which do support it.

A lot of Dreamcast talk in here recently I see. :D

Nice that SEGA haven't completely forgotten it either:

Spoiler

jU046k7.png

I've been tempted to dig mine up for a bit of Space Channel 5, but that also means setting up the old CRT and I really can't be arsed with that! :hehe: Probably should at some point though, see if this stuff is even still working. :hmm: After my Wii went tits up, I'm now wondering about the rest of my retro consoles.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Possibly not but I'm taking a gamble and I might go for one of those new SNES consoles at some point - not for a while - which do support it.

It should work no problem with the Analogue Super Nt if you were considering one of those.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I reckon @Hero-of-Time will be next with a load of Dreamcast stuff or maybe some original Xbox games...

...complete with an Xbox One purchase of course. ;)

Haha. It's certainly a possibility. I have been looking at Xbox One X bundles, new TVs and listening to a lot of Halo music over the past week...

• Like 1

That WCW Mayhem PS1 game I bought came today so I'm just trying it now.

...its pretty terrible!

• Haha 1

Just watching Brad from Giant Bomb try and complete Super Mario Bros. I may have to get my NES out tomorrow.

Finally got around to flashing my SNES mini to add new games to it. Playing through Mario Bros 1 now on Mario All Stars because of that GB video I mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Finally got around to flashing my SNES mini to add new games to it. Playing through Mario Bros 1 now on Mario All Stars because of that GB video I mentioned.

:nono::mad::nono:

• Weird 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

:nono::mad::nono:

I wanted to play the original Mario and it was easier than hooking the SNES up!

My Snes mini really doesnt like my HDMI switcher. It'll only register that a signal is running through it if the PS4 is turned on as well.

So, i've been thinking about buying one of those Eon Gamecube HDMI adaptors and have watched a few videos about them. The upgrade in visual quality is fantastic but i'm not sure if its worth it for us PAL gamers. All the videos I have watched are from US gamers and show games that are in progressive scan mode. From the looks of it, the adaptor doesn't upscale but rather just allows the Cube to output at it's highest setting. The problem is that there are only a handful of PAL games that actually support this feature. That being the case i'm flipping back and forth as to whether to pull the trigger and buy one or not when it may not be any better than playing Cube games through a Wii.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So, i've been thinking about buying one of those Eon Gamecube HDMI adaptors and have watched a few videos about them. The upgrade in visual quality is fantastic but i'm not sure if its worth it for us PAL gamers. All the videos I have watched are from US gamers and show games that are in progressive scan mode. From the looks of it, the adaptor doesn't upscale but rather just allows the Cube to output at it's highest setting. The problem is that there are only a handful of PAL games that actually support this feature. That being the case i'm flipping back and forth as to whether to pull the trigger and buy one or not when it may not be any better than playing Cube games through a Wii.

Well... it is a valid option and it is quite good on the general availibility it seems but being that I didn't mind waiting, I put my name down for an alternative a while ago.

In fact I posted this only two weeks ago...

On 11/04/2018 at 9:33 PM, S.C.G said:

That reminds me, I have got a GC Video Plug and Play 3.0 on order (HDMI dongle for the GameCube) so I'll be testing that out when it arrives.

And it actually arrived yesterday! :D

I was thinking about writing a feature about it when I've tested it fully and compared it with the official Component lead which I also own which I managed to get for a reasonable price.

So if this is something you'd all be interested in then let me know but in the meantime I have tested it with three games last night...

Phantasy Star Online Episode I&II - Works fine, looks about as good as component, maybe some more detail and better colour in some areas, episode II definitely looked better than episode I but then that is to be expected generally. Tried out episode I with my high-level HUmar and episode II with my moderate-level HUcast, which was a blast as I'd been meaning to start playing PSO again, even if it is offline only.

Ikaruga - Full disclosure, I just wanted to see how it displayed on my vertical display, even though I've since got better versions with more options... it does work but being that my monitor only rotates one way - not the way the game has coded in - it worked but it was the other way up, so I played a full run of upside-down Ikaruga just for the sake of it.

Burnout 2: Point of Impact - Oh my... this title looked simply glorious and the sound was a bit punchier as well, ended up playing this for longer than I did on the Burnout Paradise remaster recently, managed to get some more golds I had given up on years ago and got some more high scores in Crash mode too. Being able to see the cars coming at you in the oncoming traffic lane in with improved visibility really made a difference.

Some general points to note about the GC Video Plug and Play 3.0...

There is a waiting list... so get in early if you're seriously considering one
Casing is 3D printed... basic finish to it, nothing like the Eon adapter but it does what you expect
Plugs into the Digital port only... you don't have to sacrifice the standard port in case you need it for sound
Works with Framemeister remote... because out of all the remotes I had, this was the only one that worked
It can be updated... apparently the firmware can be updated, so that's nice

That's all I can think of right now, normally I wouldn't link other Nintendo fan sites but I did see this review on some obscure site, ;) so that'll have to do until I write one of my own. :p

In the meantime, let me know what other games you'd like me to test - I have about 100 GC games so chances are I have the main ones - or anything else you'd like to know about it and I'll do my best to oblige. :peace:

And yes, my unit was purchased completely off my own back, I did think about seeing if ZeldaXPro would supply us one seeing as we are a Nintendo fan site but due to the way in which you had to register your interest and the huge demand, it was easier this was as I did pay for this months ago as it is before getting the item but he has been very good at keeping in contact with his customers, updating every Sunday - a bit like a Kickstarter - and keeping everyone in the loop.

This device has come a long way since the original version 1.0 with the circuitry issues. (R.I.P. MetalJesusRocks'GameCube which got shorted out)

HDMI enabled GameCube consoles in 2018... who would have thought it? :smile:

• Thanks 1