NEurope
tapedeck

General Retro Discussion

I think, watching this video has definitely cemented in my mind that the Framemeister was the right choice for me. :)

In summary... there is a supposed price difference but I got my unit for a good price, the Framemeister has loads of downloadable profiles whereas OSSC is still work in progress.

Those were the main points, obviously Framemeister isn't being made any more but if I can make the unit last then this won't be a problem. :peace:

A bit of a learning curve on the settings with the Framemeister but I'll be careful plus I have the English remote overlay, the OSSC does have that handy screen though.

I still like the look of the Framemeister more as well, even if you need a dongle hanging out the front to use RGB Scart ::shrug: that'll be tucked away anyway.

Either way, it looks like the future is looking good for upscaler boxes and line-doublers, not even taking into account the number of consoles which are gradually getting HDMI. :D

That reminds me, I have got a GC Video Plug and Play 3.0 on order (HDMI dongle for the GameCube) so I'll be testing that out when it arrives.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

Will be making my 3rd stop off at CEX this Easter holiday with what should be the last of my anime collection to trade in. Hoping they'll finally have cash this time but if not then I expect another retro haul will be in order.

As the first trade in was spent mostly towards the Saturn, the second towards the PS1 then I think if I do end up getting credit then this may finally go towards the N64. Probably not as many games for me to get as I wasn't a massive fan of the console but I still really want to play the wrestling games!

34 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Will be making my 3rd stop off at CEX this Easter holiday with what should be the last of my anime collection to trade in. Hoping they'll finally have cash this time but if not then I expect another retro haul will be in order.

As the first trade in was spent mostly towards the Saturn, the second towards the PS1 then I think if I do end up getting credit then this may finally go towards the N64. Probably not as many games for me to get as I wasn't a massive fan of the console but I still really want to play the wrestling games!

What games are you after on the N64? Just the wrestling games?

Edited by Hero-of-Time

42 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What games are you after on the N64? Just the wrestling games?

Pretty much. I have a list of all the usual big name ones but I’d rather get other systems’s games over them for now.

CEX finally had cash this time so no big retro splurges for me this time! Probably for the best.

14 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

CEX finally had cash this time so no big retro splurges for me this time! Probably for the best.

Baffles me when this happens. I've only used them twice ( both times for cash ) and in both cases they had no money. I returned the following mornings as soon as they opened so there was no excuse for the lack of money in the counter.

That's the opposite of what they tell you to do. They say to come near the end of the day, towards the end of the week.

I read a good explanation a few months ago from someone who worked there explaining when is the best time to go. I'll try and find it when I get home.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Thanks 1

I decided to rewatch a few of the amazing my life in gaming videos as I figure out just how I'm going to eventually hook everything up. :D

There's plenty of good information in both of these videos...

This one is more about setups...

...Whereas this one is more focused on Switch boxes.

Both highly advised viewing just generally for getting good picture quality out of your retro consoles. :peace:

• Thanks 1

@nekunando you've played Virtua Tennis 2, right? I have a question about the World Tour mode. Do you have infinite time to upgrade your characters or do you have to do everything in a set time period? The game mode has a calendar and was thinking maybe I only have a certain amount of time to train in, before it forces me to take on championship games.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@nekunando you've played Virtua Tennis 2, right? I have a question about the World Tour mode. Do you have infinite time to upgrade your characters or do you have to do everything in a set time period? The game mode has a calendar and was thinking maybe I only have a certain amount of time to train in, before it forces me to take on championship games.

I do have it but I haven't really played it as I concentrated on beating the first game 100% (which wasn't easy :eek: ) so I don't have an answer for you, I'm afraid. The original Virtua Tennis didn't work with any calender restrictions.

• Thanks 1

Managed to get a Dreamcast off eBay for £22 including P&P.

Arrived this morning and apart from the standard yellowing it runs great.

My Dreamcast struggled to run Craxy Taxi and Sega Rally so those two were the first games I tested which ran with no problems. Sounds so much healthier too.

Got some Hydrogen Peroxide so once summer finally arrives I'll be using that on both dreamcasts and my wavebird.

• Like 2

On 12/04/2018 at 11:37 PM, S.C.G said:

I decided to rewatch a few of the amazing my life in gaming videos as I figure out just how I'm going to eventually hook everything up. :D

There's plenty of good information in both of these videos...

This one is more about setups...

...Whereas this one is more focused on Switch boxes.

Both highly advised viewing just generally for getting good picture quality out of your retro consoles. :peace:

Kinda wish they would cut some of the fluff, their videos are too long. :heh: The sounds effects are a bit annoying.

I watched one of their videos about the Everdrives and they basically said it was OK to pirate if you couldn't afford the game. :hmm:

I did find out that the Mega Drive had a Master System adapter and that the Mega Drive Everdrive lets you play them though it.

• Thanks 1

I've been bidding on a few N64s on ebay this weekend. I'm mostly just looking for a good deal so not winning any but as I've said before, it'd be nice to get my wrestling machine back!

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I've been bidding on a few N64s on ebay this weekend. I'm mostly just looking for a good deal so not winning any but as I've said before, it'd be nice to get my wrestling machine back!

Did you buy No Mercy yet? If not, make sure the copy you purchase has NUS-EUR-1 in the top right corner of the sticker on the back of the cart. That should be the newer version without the save wiping bug.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you buy No Mercy yet? If not, make sure the copy you purchase has NUS-EUR-1 in the top right corner of the sticker on the back of the cart. That should be the newer version without the save wiping bug.

Yeah I got it in one of those CEX hauls. Just checked the cart and it does have that code so that’s good.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah I got it in one of those CEX hauls. Just checked the cart and it does have that code so that’s good.

I just checked mine. Loaded up the game, edited The Rock, knocked it off and on again and the edit was still there. Mine also has that code on it, so you should be good.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

Latest additions to the Saturn collection:

newsaturn.jpg

Fighters Megamix is way harder than I expected. I had Virtua Fighter somewhere, but I've either lost it or sold it ages ago and forgot. Seeing as how I got given VF2 a few months back, it seemed wrong not to own VF1.

Also added Phantasy Star 4 to the Shelf of Valuable Games™ and did a quick search on eBay to see how much they're all selling for currently. Came to a total of £700 (not including the New Vegas Special Edition in the background. That seems to have shot up, but there's not enough copies on eBay to verify if they're just chancers). Not bad, even though I do doubt eBay prices sometimes.

sovg.jpg

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Fighters Megamix is way harder than I expected. I had Virtua Fighter somewhere, but I've either lost it or sold it ages ago and forgot. Seeing as how I got given VF2 a few months back, it seemed wrong not to own VF1.

Yeah I found it hard when I tested it the other week.

Dont forget to get VF Remix, the version of 1 they gave to people to free because normal 1 was so bad!

Personally I found this video fascinating, probably because I've never played a Spyro game, it really makes you appreciate what went into 3D platformers, especially back then in the Nineties. :D

So this makes me even more enthused for the Spyro Trilogy remaster coming out later this year.

Oh and if you haven't checked out the Boundry Break series of videos yet then you really should... it's an ongoing series where we, basically take the camera, anywhere we want, and try to find secrets and discoveries to some of our favourite games. :p

Edit - Also, I finally got around to watching that Did You Know Gaming? on the Dreamcast video, some really interesting stuff there, a lot that I wasn't aware of, also props to them for using lots of Phantasy Star Online music in the background... it really takes me back literally half a life-time ago :blank: to when I first started playing PSO... the urge to play it again is growing stronger and I think I'll be playing the GameCube version once I get that HDMI adapter. :peace:

It'd be nice to maybe capture some footage of my original PSO characters while the data still exists on the memory cards.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure I've never even heard of this game, amazing stuff in this video. :)

If you're going to watch it - there is a warning in the video - skip from 07:45 - 10:35 to avoid spoiling the ending the rest of the video is fascinating. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I'm pretty sure I've never even heard of this game, amazing stuff in this video. :)

I've heard of the game ( gets mentioned a lot in hidden gems videos ) but this is the first time i've actually watched footage of it. The thing looks great! 

Here's something to brighten up everyones Monday morning. :laughing:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Got myself another wrestling game for the PS1 Collection. Never played WCW Mayhem but I’ve been watching a load of old WCW PPVs lately so I felt like I needed one. Obviously I’ll get the N64 ones eventually as they’re the best ones but this will do for now.

Edited by Happenstance

Another amazing video from My Life in Gaming. :D

If I ever buy a PC Engine... which isn't likely as I have most of the games I'll probably ever want for it on the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console services... but if I did, I'd get one of these. :peace:

• Thanks 1